Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PvP balancing done right - by blizzard

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited June 2022 in General Discussion
Sometimes a class is really strong and balanced in PvP.
In PvP, they have amazing burst, utility and surviability in the context of player combat.

But their damage can simultaneously be horrible in PvE. And their utility can be lackluster in a PvE context. So bad infact, thats it's a straight downgrade from other similar classes and roles.

You now have a class thats severely underpowered and unplayed in PvE, while really balanced, popular and good in PvP.

If you do an overall buff to the class, you destroy PvP balance. If you do nothing, you don't solve the PvE imbalance.

How would you solve it's PvE issues without without destroying the delicate balance between PvP and PvE?

--->
A simple line of code and a sentence is enough:

Blizzard latest patch notes for arms warrior:
Mortal Strike damage increased by 10%. This change does not apply to PvP.
Overpower damage increased by 10%. This change does not apply to PvP.
Execute and Condemn damage increased by 15%. This change does not apply to PvP.

Developers’ note: These changes are intended to increase Arms single target performance while not affecting areas where they already excel.

The best of both worlds
PvE and PvP balancing, without affecting each other in any way. Keeping everyone happy, since it has 0 negative effects for anyone. As a nice cherry on the top, it makes the life of a developer about 100% easier while balancing classes.

Why are most Ashes of creation fans against this approach to balancing?

Comments

• Options
    SinderSinder Member
    Because in ashes they're not balancing individual classes. They're working on an 8 man party dynamic because ashes of creation is not a solo game.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    WoW has the worst PvP balancing, ever!!
    Ashes PvP is focused on objective-based PvP, rather than 1v1 combat.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    While I agree with what Hailee said, this kind of "balancing" was present in L2's updates over a decade ago. Except it was a choice. You're enchanting your class skills? You can add pvp dmg, base dmg or some other horizontal enchant (usually elemental). So I don't see why Intrepid couldn't have one of the options for skill point attribution be "this skill hits stronger in pvp". And now instead of changing a whole damn class, you give players the option for what they want to excel at in the game.

Here's a crusty video showing the process (it's from a private server so you go to the max enchant from just one book, so disregard that part)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpc54HnXvm0
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    WoW has separated PvP and PvE so much that a player can choose to "be a PvPer" or "only do raiding". Because of this, WoW devs can balance the two separately. In AOC, PvP and PvE are inextricably linked, so they cannot balance the two separately. A 15% damage difference between a mob and a player will be noticed much more in AOC than in WoW and would cause a sense of disconnect.

Furthermore, what happens when a class needs something other than damage? What if they need more mobility or CC? What if they're too squishy?

While WoW can balance for these things with PvP talents and Trinket stamina boosts, AOC can't do that.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    PvP balance can be achieved by devs playing their own classes and weapons. That's all it takes.
    Also, there is no reason why every class should be good for a pvp group and good for a pve group. And it's fair.
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    Also, there is no reason why every class should be good for a pvp group and good for a pve group. And it's fair.

hmm? :)
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    NishUK wrote: »

hmm? :)

Let's take fighter for example.
    I can see other classes outDPSing the fighter.
    But the fighter might have a good mix of dmg, resiliance, CC and mobility that makes it a better class for PvP situations.

The fighter shouldnt be "balanced" to be viable in both PvP and PvE. I can see the same with the rogue.

If I was a GL and the aim of the day was to kill an RB knowing that a rival group would come to pry it from is, I'd build the RB killing group with archers and nuker mages for ez reliable constant dps. I wouldnt put the fighter or the rogue in that group. I would have them nearby, part of a group whose purpose is to meet the enemy and krep them away from our raiding.

I guess in my first post I should have used the word "both" somewhere in there
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Marzzo wrote: »
    Why are most Ashes of creation fans against this approach to balancing?

The reason many games have to do this is because they use different stats for players and mobs.

The need for them to do things like this is simply a result if them not building the underlying game correctly.

Ashes is attempting to build the underlying game correctly. This means that if a class is under or overpowered in PvE, it will be similarly under or overpowered in PvP.

It isnt a case of us not wanting them to do things like this, it is a case of us wanting (expecting) Intrepid to do a better job than Blizzard at building the game.
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited June 2022
    @George_Black @Noaani

Interesting takes, so under that logic why do Healers and necessary buffs/debuffs from something like a Bard have both huge priority in PvE and PvP?

I mean I could go on about that flaw in designing some classes to have a niche expertise only but I'll hold off for now.
  • Options
    Interesting takes, so under that logic why do Healers and necessary buffs from something like a Bard have both huge priority in PvE and PvP?
    Because in both PvP and PvE, running out of HP means you die. Due to this, a way to restore some of those HP is desirable in both.

Also, in both PvP and PvE, when your target runs out of HP, they die. Due to this, buffs that assist you in removing their HP faster are desirable in both.
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited June 2022
    @Noaani my question was underlying.

Why are they allowed to have a huge priority in both, over say, people who have a preference for liking the look or gameplay of another class but have to sometimes sit out in favor of another class?

You could argue that these are typical "war" formations, if you're up against a guild filled with experts that are slow bruiser's type class you will want to counter them with mainly ranged dps and you'll leave your melee's mainly out and ofc a supportive element always has it's place. Similarly in PvE if there is an encounter that has horrible debuffs in the melee range you will organise for more of a ranged benefit + the typical supports.

But wouldn't you agree that this a lazy design practice? Why are, say, dps classes a wide and varied bunch while healers/buffers/whatever else are always of the same cloth and can mold into anything. This is fantasy, the strongest healer type could be something not of the typical church/holy setting in the melee range that "rewinds big wounds (burst)" using close bodily inspection and thereby has the potential to take melee punishment and there we have niche expertise created in the support area.

Can you explain to me a big purpose of why it is fun to create holes in a game, ie "you can't do this....but you're needed for this! cheer up :) " , all this boils down to in my eyes, is forcing meta's and structures that essentially avoid critical thinking for the sake of cheap and reliable entertainment via easy structuring/management.

What I'm suggesting, is either you create niche everywhere or you don't do it at all and in doing so everyone is happy with the circumstance.

Steven I'm sure knows full well, that dagger's (rogues) in L2 were useless in every group PvE setting, that's mainly why I can see from his talks that he's excited to bring them into the fold in PvE by being a neccesary component for opening and allowing exploration + trap uncovering that a typical party setting wouldn't normally do or fall victim to.
  • Options
    Noaani my question was underlying.

Why are they allowed to have a huge priority in both, over say, people who have a preference for liking the look or gameplay of another class but have to sometimes sit out in favor of another class?

You could argue that these are typical "war" formations, if you're up against a guild filled with experts that are slow bruiser's type class you will want to counter them with mainly ranged dps and you'll leave your melee's mainly out and ofc a supportive element always has it's place. Similarly in PvE if there is an encounter that has horrible debuffs in the melee range you will organise for more of a ranged benefit + the typical supports.

But wouldn't you agree that this a lazy design practice? Why are, say, dps classes a wide and varied bunch while healers/buffers/whatever else are always of the same cloth and can mold into anything. This is fantasy, the strongest healer type could be something not of the typical church/holy setting in the melee range that "rewinds big wounds (burst)" using close bodily inspection and thereby has the potential to take melee punishment and there we have niche expertise created in the support area.

Can you explain to me a big purpose of why it is fun to create holes in a game, ie "you can't do this....but you're needed for this! cheer up :) " , all this boils down to in my eyes, is forcing meta's and structures that essentially avoid critical thinking for the sake of cheap and reliable entertainment via easy structuring/management.

What I'm suggesting, is either you create niche everywhere or you don't do it at all and in doing so everyone is happy with the circumstance.

Steven I'm sure knows full well, that dagger's (rogues) in L2 were useless in every group PvE setting, that's mainly why I can see from his talks that he's excited to bring them into the fold in PvE by being a neccesary component for opening and allowing exploration + trap uncovering that a typical party setting wouldn't normally do or fall victim to.
    I'm going to attempt to clarify this question before answer it.

Does the following sum up what it is you are asking?
    Why is it that DPS classes have times where they are more or less desired, but healers and support are always desired?

Is that about right?
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited June 2022
    Yes.

Are you for the trinity system being expanded or remaining stale, bearing in mind with what I said previously.

For example, League of Legends has a trinity system but sometimes doesn't rely on healing and shielding (which are essentially the same but one is temporary or exceeds max capacity) and instead relies on other supportive elements like cleansing, engagement, disengagment and control.

"You don't need a heal if your enemy is unable to hurt you or caught with his pants down" - (insert noteable person).
  • Options
    If the skills of a class requires direct "exclusionary damage increase or decrease" in either PvP or PvE to be originally balanced, that's a straight up skill design flaw for me.

On the other hand, giving the players tools to mess around with those modifiers on their discretion is fine and is already expected at least for the PvP side of things in Ashes.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Noaani wrote: »
    Why is it that DPS classes have times where they are more or less desired, but healers and support are always desired?

Is that about right?
    Yes.
    OK, cool.

So, to that, all I can say is, stop playing shit games.

In EQ2, there are 6 healers, broken up in to three types. Clerics, Shaman and Druids.

All healers have direct heals, as well as group heals. However, each type of healer also has a heal type that is unique to itself.

Clerics have reactive heals. These are cast as a buff on the target, and they proc a heal when that character takes damage.

Shaman have wards, these essentially act as an increase to the targets hit point pool, with all damage coming off any ward on the character before coming off their actual hit points.

Druids have heal over time heals.

Each healer has a single target and a group version of their specific heals above.

What this means is that if you are running with a plate tank, you want a Cleric, with their reactive heals. A mitigation based tank takes damage often, but they take less damage each hit. This means a reactive heal from a cleric is often enough to keep the tank up, with the occasional direct heal needed to top things up.

On the other hand, if you are running an avoidance tank, you really don't want a Cleric at all. Avoidance tanks take damage far less often, but when they take damage, they take a LOT of damage. This puts Shaman as being far better suited to avoidance tanks.

Druids are perfectly valid for either tank, but are a secondary choice for all.

So, in the same way that you may want one DPS class over another due to the content you are facing, you would want one healer over a different one based on the tank you are taking.

Now on to support.

EQ2 had 4 support classes, on top of it's 6 healers. Of those support classes, two were more focused on caster DPS, and two were more focused on melee DPS.

As such, if you are taking on content that sees you wanting to increase your ranged DPS and decrease your melee DPS, you would also want to decrease the support classes you have that buff melee, and increase those that buff caster damage (since the game only had one ranged damage class that wasn't a caster).

So, to your question of "Why is it that DPS classes have times where they are more or less desired, but healers and support are always desired?", all I can say is that if you don't play shit games, you will see that healers and support classes have exactly that same more or less desirability.

The thing with this is - basically any healer will do for any content, and basically any DPS will do for any content.

I never rearrange my guilds raids based on the content we are taking on. I keep my guild at roughly 10% more than the size of a raid in the game I am playing (in a game with 20 person raids, I run with 22 or so players, in a game with 40, I run with about 45). I also don't ever expect anyone to raid on an alt. As such, the raid we take in to basically all content is basically the same every time.

The only exception I have EVER made to this is when content requires a specific number of tanks.

As to your comments here
    For example, League of Legends has a trinity system but sometimes doesn't rely on healing and shielding (which are essentially the same but one is temporary or exceeds max capacity) and instead relies on other supportive elements like cleansing, engagement, disengagment and control.
    Same with top end raid content.

Removing a status effect on a player (or on every player) is often the most important thing for a healer to do, even if that means not healing a player that is about to die due to something else.

Top end raiding also often relies on control (CC), to the point where good games have entire classes dedicated to this.
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited June 2022
    Can someone make EQ3, please...

@Noaani You make it so hard because you don't see others perspective, at all, you are just clearly happy with the way things are.

You're goal is to basically choke anyone into saying "ye ye, you're right, regardless of xxx personal preferences and other game experiences of combat we have to set all that aside and enjoy what is set in stone from certain games because my experience is the perfect one".

If you can't say that EQ has any flaws, whether that is from a system perspective, gameplay, animation, visual clarity, graphic, whatever, then how do you expect anyone to warm to your side of thinking.

You speak of gameplay, systems and user enjoyment like it's an equation already complete.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    @NishUK you'll never see a Chad playing a bard or a healer. These are classes for people that need to be liked. See? Balance. Yes healer and bards will always be "op" in groups both in pve and pvp, but they wont be the classes that get the spotlight or the volume of kill counts. They might not even get gear from the guild. "Just press the heal button. We need to craft weapons for the dps".

That "logic" about balance should have been obvious without me having to explain every scenario.
    Not every class has to be good at everything. And healers and bards most definately wont be fun/good for many, many things.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Noaani You make it so hard because you don't see others perspective, at all, you are just clearly happy with the way things are.

You're goal is to basically choke anyone into saying "ye ye, you're right, regardless of xxx personal preferences and other game experiences of combat we have to set all that aside and enjoy what is set in stone from certain games because my experience is the perfect one".

If you can't say that EQ has any flaws, whether that is from a system perspective, gameplay, animation, visual clarity, graphic, whatever, then how do you expect anyone to warm to your side of thinking.

You speak of gameplay, systems and user enjoyment like it's an equation already complete.
    I think you missed the point.

You said "why don't tab target games do this thing?"

I said "some of them do, here is an example from one such game".

The reason I asked for clarification as to what it was you were asking is because I knew you would complain in some way.

Honestly, what more do you want as an answer to your question than a direct example of a game that does the thing you were decrying a class of games for not doing?

Don't blame me for your lack of knowledge on tab target games.

Also, I never once said EQ/EQ2 has no flaws. Put simply, you asked a question about one of the things those two games do very well, so I obviously used them as examples. If you want to ensure I won't use an EQ game as an example to illustrate the thing you think tab target games don't do, perhaps stick to asking questions about crafting... it's the one area neither EQ games was overly great at.
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited June 2022
    @NishUK you'll never see a Chad playing a bard or a healer. These are classes for people that need to be liked. See? Balance. Yes healer and bards will always be "op" in groups both in pve and pvp, but they wont be the classes that get the spotlight or the volume of kill counts. They might not even get gear from the guild. "Just press the heal button. We need to craft weapons for the dps".

Well this merits discussion....

Why won't they get gear from a guild? is the game heavily in favor of dps classes? isn't that an issue that should be addressed?

Obviously everyone knows your average alpha male or a weed like asmon desperate to be one wants to crush their enemies via brute strength or "cool" assassination.
    What is the answer to this? "lets just continue making cringey clerics that always wear white robes and shine the light on their allies". Is this alone an appropriate design and gameplay choice toward that issue??

I could reference all types of supportive elements from other games, genre's, shows, manga's that would be far more appropriate for the general male mentality.

It's rather closed minded or a quick standard of thinking choice as well to keep the famed and loved Paladin as strictly a tank, sometimes it's an alternative form of DPS in some cases. At the end of the day it's just a closed minded perspective, if you like things the way they are fine, we'll continue to offer a charity slot to that "poor guy" who has to be a slave, so you say.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Well this merits discussion....

Why won't they get gear from a guild? is the game heavily in favor of dps classes? isn't that an issue that should be addressed?
    It depends on the guild.

Some guilds will consider all gear earned during guild activities to belong to the guild and hand out to members as the guild sees fit.

Since most games do not see buffs scale based on the casters gear (most buffs in most games gain more from the target of the buff having better gear), support classes are often the last to get gear.

This isn't how I personally deal with gear, but it absolutely is how some guilds handle things.

As an aside, none of the healers in EQ2 were robe wearers. two wear plate, two wear chain and two wear leather. So, the idea of "lets just continue making cringey clerics that always wear white robes and shine the light on their allies" is not an inherent thing, it is just how some games do things.
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited June 2022
    Noaani wrote: »
    As an aside, none of the healers in EQ2 were robe wearers....

I feel like I've got a permanent DoT with no cleanse, honestly I can't carry on.

Will we actually address points, is it possible, will some of you see past the mmorpg standard w/ a heavy sprinkle toward raid focus, just try, attempt.
  • Options
    Will we actually address points, is it possible, will some of you see past the mmorpg standard w/ a heavy sprinkle toward raid focus, just try, attempt.
    Did you not notice that I literally addressed your question in full?

And if you are going to just keep throwing mindless assumptions about the genre around that are easily disproven (especially true if I can disprove them using either EQ game), then I am going to do that.

My suggestion is - rather than blaming everyone else - educate yourself on tab target games and MMORPG's in general before bitching and moaning about what the genre is lacking. I say this because almost everything you complain about is only the case in a small handful of games - yet you speak as if it is the only way an MMO is ever made.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

That "logic" about balance should have been obvious without me having to explain every scenario.
    Not every class has to be good at everything. And healers and bards most definately wont be fun/good for many, many things.

This one reminds me to once again ask if one has time to discuss our lord and MMORPG Saviour the Tactical Point Gauge. (This isn't a response to you, George, I know you have nothing to prove).

FFXI does not have much PvP, but if we reference just the idea that a class needs to do more damage in PvE but not outside of it, the TP Gauge and the associated 'Skillchain' system works double shift.

A 'Skillchain' is simply 'your special attack which uses Gauge followed mine of a specific property and now does additional separate multiplied damage'. This has rippling effects.

1. Classes that are meant to do big DPS have to wait until their Gauge is full or strategically fill it before a fight, while still being mechanically strong DPS.
    2. Classes can be desired for their ability to 'open' and 'close' Skillchains regardless of their individual damage as long as it is helpful for them to gain TP Gauge, making DPS more varied (e.g. Monks and Ninjas do not 'Skillchain' together easily, so a Monk is not a preferred DPS when you have a Ninja already, even during those times when they would have high solo DPS).
    3. In 1v1 PvP, only the Weapon Skill balance matters. Bards and Mages can have 'weaker' Weapon Skills normally used to 'open' Skillchains, heavy hitters can have 'stronger' ones (this is more complex based on stat builds that you could move around). With no 'Skillchain' damage to worry about, you can balance this more while still having extra 50-100% Skillchain damage for coordinated PvE.
    4. The RP is slightly cooler. Repetitive, sure, but 'lining up the Skillchain', 'looking for the timing where nothing will interrupt it', choosing the right one based on the situation and which two party members are 'ready', etc.
    5. Stat multipliers and attack buff skills are ALSO temporarily '50% stronger' even if they are short lived, an ability may be activated 'before closing the Skillchain' to maximize damage, particularly if the game actually compares attack vs Defense or has things like 'your next hit ignores 50% of enemy Armor'. Against strong enemies this can result in a 100% damage increase to the skill, and therefore a 100% increase to the Skillchain, creating a difference of 150% more damage to the skill 'As a closer in PvE' while rewarding anyone who can successfully do it without being stopped or disrupted in PvP, but normally they just get 'more damage vs Tanks' and 'the standard bonus with no Skillchain'.
    6. Enemy Tanks in general can have higher mitigation and still be balanced, as they're the class most likely to actually stand there long enough to either get hit with a Skillchain, or stand there long enough for attackers to build the Gauge.

Anyways while I'm on the subject of FFXI and Healers, I randomly offer the glory of https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Noble's_Tunic .

Gimme! I don't care if I have to fight the Ashes equivalent of King Behemoth 20 times and then gather materials for another 10 'Horizontal' enchants. (Out of respect for the Goddess of Creation I will not fight any Suzaku unless requested),
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    We need a contrarian mmo! (if there isn't one already) Healer's healing depends on his dps. Tank's tanking depends on him buffing everyone else. DPS' damage depends on how much damage they themselves took.

The fight interaction would be smth like this:
    • the healer class DPSes the boss, which cuts off chunks and sprays blood from the boss opposite to Healer's location
    • Whoever stands opposite the Healer gets mob guts and blood all over them, which agroes the boss onto them
    • DPS classes would have to keep their position opposite the healer, while healer's gotta move himself due to boss mechanics and because his skills do biggest dmg to the boss' sides
    • In order to properly control/buff DPS classes' output, the Tank will have to give out proper rotations of dmg mitigation and enhancement buffs, while not getting blood/chunks on himself, cause he's a stickboi who'd immediately die from one hit
    • All of this is happening under the usual environmental hazards and all that other shit from pve fights in other games

The healer is doing damage instead of the usual "click heal to be useful", the tank is buffing and avoiding any dmg instead of "stand in one place and take all the damage", the dps are taking all the damage instead of "DON'T FUCKING STAY IN THE RED, YOU DUMBASS!!@#!@$"
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    We need a contrarian mmo! (if there isn't one already) Healer's healing depends on his dps. Tank's tanking depends on him buffing everyone else. DPS' damage depends on how much damage they themselves took.

The fight interaction would be smth like this:
    • the healer class DPSes the boss, which cuts off chunks and sprays blood from the boss opposite to Healer's location
    • Whoever stands opposite the Healer gets mob guts and blood all over them, which agroes the boss onto them
    • DPS classes would have to keep their position opposite the healer, while healer's gotta move himself due to boss mechanics and because his skills do biggest dmg to the boss' sides
    • In order to properly control/buff DPS classes' output, the Tank will have to give out proper rotations of dmg mitigation and enhancement buffs, while not getting blood/chunks on himself, cause he's a stickboi who'd immediately die from one hit
    • All of this is happening under the usual environmental hazards and all that other shit from pve fights in other games

The healer is doing damage instead of the usual "click heal to be useful", the tank is buffing and avoiding any dmg instead of "stand in one place and take all the damage", the dps are taking all the damage instead of "DON'T FUCKING STAY IN THE RED, YOU DUMBASS!!@#!@$"

Man, I need more people to play FFXI...

Honestly the only reason I'm here is because I know Jeff did and even if he's gone, I must annoy people with this!

But yes, we have this game already. Not as 'extreme' as this, lol, but this playstyle is a thing.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2022
    I think a classes more suited to pvp over pve have a place in ashes to begin with.... the social structure is so important for this game to succeed. Having classes that thrive as bandits or mercenaries just furthers that social structure and gives players more unlabled roles to fulfill
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Azherae wrote: »
    Man, I need more people to play FFXI...

Honestly the only reason I'm here is because I know Jeff did and even if he's gone, I must annoy people with this!

But yes, we have this game already. Not as 'extreme' as this, lol, but this playstyle is a thing.
    Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about FF11. Wish I'd played it back then.
  • Options
    Shoelid wrote: »
    While WoW can balance for these things with PvP talents and Trinket stamina boosts, AOC can't do that.
    Nor would we want them to.
    That's how we get the flavor of the month re-balance because "QQ!! Rogues are OP!!"
    "Now, Mages are too OP!!"
  • Options
    I mean...
    Ashes is basically the successor of EQNext.
    Except the AI will not be as ambitious as StoryBricks.