Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Bard Suggestion

T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I would like to see whistling be part of the bard's repertoire where it can act like a spell of sorts.
I would also like to see bards being able to "throw" music from their instruments like spells that do damage.
It would also be fun if their idle stances also included strumming/thumping on instruments or even scribbling on pages like they are composing a story.
eZC6mjP.gif
Formerly T-Elf

Comments

• Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I want the hunting horn from monster hunter.
  • Options
    DiuraDiura Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ooo I like the idea of whistling!
    8st3lhnx21to.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    If whistling becomes a bard thing, I’m creating ‘Harpo Marx’ as an alt.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    This is more what I was looking for, It's from The Untamed. https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxifIhTR16gloV4hJqpb0O_PJcNaaYR2KY
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    SweatycupSweatycup Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    8xjkfey2u249.gif
    Seriously though.. I would hope to see some different musical instruments with different types of damage. Like slow and hard hitting or fast and more rogue like and anywhere inbetween. If you actually made them make music i fear it'd just be a annoying ruckus. If you added a area effect to the bards in proximity and make their tunes sync and in-tune or follow a certain song together, now that would be cool. So your alliance is blaring one song from your support bards as the other side has it's own. If they are actual instruments, and i am a bard i should feel the cohesion of that story telling. No? If you really wanted to go crazy with the idea you could always have the bards rotations affect the overall cohesion of that musical whole to read whats going on around you.
  • Options
    I'm okay with this.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Sweatycup wrote: »
    8xjkfey2u249.gif
    Seriously though.. I would hope to see some different musical instruments with different types of damage. Like slow and hard hitting or fast and more rogue like and anywhere inbetween.

I read this as base attack oriented. And instruments are not weapons right now. If anything your instruments could be customizable, and be pulled out when performing a skill or emote. But the current weapon list does not show any instruments.
  • Options
    Make it so you don't have spells but notes. And you need to play them, and specific melodies result in specific effects.

Just joking this would be terrible...

Unless??

More seriously I loved the sound design of bards in Lost Ark, some people hate it, but I thought it was super cool.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    You could do something similar, but three note combos, basically approach bard skills as a scale.

You could also build those combos such that the outcome of one 3-note combo could be heightened by another 3-note combo do deliver a more devastating attack, or enhance a buff.

The closest analog would be how alchemy is handled in some games where consuming a single ingredient has a tiny effect (herb), combining that ingredient with others has a greater effect (potion), combining that potion with others has a multiplied effect (super pot).

It would definitely make playing a bard feel different than the other archetypes.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Should song craft be an artisian skill tree?

Gathering lore and tunes from the world

Processing the lore into stories

And crafting the sheet music for bards to perform
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Should song craft be an artisian skill tree?

Gathering lore and tunes from the world

Processing the lore into stories

And crafting the sheet music for bards to perform

Ooo that’s cool. If it’s an artisan profession, I think this would become a required META. What if it were a class ability that could export (teach) and import (learn) different combinations for attacks, defenses, and buffs?

Ideally, this would create a function for bards to learn from one another - though it would probably just result in a number of YouTube videos laying out all combinations and what perfect permutation I is ‘the best.’

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2022
    Perhaps different types of songs (romantic, sorrowful, brave, dramatic...) would provide differing buffs. Also, the instrument played (flute, banjo, drums, guitar, including voice only) would influence the buffs. Also, the style of music (rock, folk, etc.) could do so as could the dance performed (swing, tango, waltz, rhumba, cha-cha, salsa).

So, we would have:
    - Song type Maybe 6 choices
    - Instrument Maybe 6 choices
    - Style Maybe 6 choices
    - Dance Maybe 6 choices
    - potentially other variables the musicians among us could suggest

And different choices could impact such things as
    - Physical attack speed
    - Physical attack strength
    - Magic attack speed
    - Magic attach strength
    - Hit point regen
    - Mana regen
    - Physical defense
    - Magic defense
    - Holy attack
    - Holy defense
    - .....and clearly many other things, up to almost all the character & combat variables

The Bard would have choices on which dances, instruments, styles to learn and not all Bards could provide all buffs, and Bard/learning level would determine the strength of the buffs. Perhaps some choices would have to be made, like you cannot have both holy and demonic buffs.

Bards could be exceptionally interesting characters to play, and each Bard would be different from all the others given the various options each would have to choose.

Edit: And if you had TWO Bards in the group, dancing the tango together while singing and ancient Verran Orc battle song...Powerful Buffs indeed!
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2022
    I think whistling should not be a form of Bard music. (Even though it coul be cool for Table Top).
    In an MMORPG, I think a weapon/physical instrument, like pipes or harmonica or didgeridoo, should be required.

(I have Swing class tonight, Bachata and Salsa tomorrow and Cha Cha and Salsa the next day, but - those aren't really appropriate for a Fantasy RPG - may as well add guns and cars and bikes, at that point).
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm all for interesting ways to learn songs, particularly related to exploring the world in some regard. But don't make it significantly harder than it is for other classes to learn their own abilities.
  • Options
    I'm happy with the OP idea.
    I don't want it implemented as "guitar hero" though, that kind of game peaked with 'PaRappa the Rapper' for me.
    Standard ability use with CD please.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • Options
    How are people seeing the instruments being used? As an addition to their sword/dagger/etc, or as a replacement?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I’d think in addition.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    So, a Bard would have an additional item slot to place an instrument/poetry book/etc?
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    So, a Bard would have an additional item slot to place an instrument/poetry book/etc?

I imagine everyone would have an instrument slot, probably for emote purposes, and the bard incorporates that slot into their skill usage. But who knows.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Bard instruments should be weapons - similar to D&D.
    Any class can use any weapon.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Dygz wrote: »

Instruments are currently not on the weapons list, so them not being weapons should be expected.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited July 2022

Instruments are currently not on the weapons list, so them not being weapons should be expected.

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering how the instrument/book is going to impact the gameplay. They've already said that they don't just want musical Bards, they also want speech to be involved.
    "Bards will have a wide range of abilities to choose from, such as wordsmithing, acting, and musical aspects.[10]"
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bard
    So, maybe an instrument/book will improve ordinary Bard skills, or some will only be available if you have that instrument/book (which would suck, as it would decrease the available skill options).

To be honest, I'd rather the Bard theme stayed implied, and I was able to use my weapon between skills, rather than trying to play an instrument & use my weapon between skills.

I'd really really like to know what Intrepid's plans are for the Bard. Feel like we've been waiting long enough! Let's hope our friendly neighbourhood hero Vaknar is reading...
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    daveywavey wrote: »

Yeah, that's why I'm wondering how the instrument/book is going to impact the gameplay. They've already said that they don't just want musical Bards, they also want speech to be involved.
    "Bards will have a wide range of abilities to choose from, such as wordsmithing, acting, and musical aspects.[10]"
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Bard
    So, maybe an instrument/book will improve ordinary Bard skills, or some will only be available if you have that instrument/book (which would suck, as it would decrease the available skill options).

To be honest, I'd rather the Bard theme stayed implied, and I was able to use my weapon between skills, rather than trying to play an instrument & use my weapon between skills.

I'd really really like to know what Intrepid's plans are for the Bard. Feel like we've been waiting long enough! Let's hope our friendly neighbourhood hero Vaknar is reading...

Maybe it could fit in a trinket or jewelry slot? Idk how they will do it. But currently you will not be swinging a bass, or tooting a horn at the enemy.
  • Options

LMAO
    Yeah, there's also not a list ot Bard Active Skills, so I guess we shouldn't expect those either.
  • Options
    T Elf wrote: »
    I would like to see whistling be part of the bard's repertoire where it can act like a spell of sorts.
    I would also like to see bards being able to "throw" music from their instruments like spells that do damage.
    It would also be fun if their idle stances also included strumming/thumping on instruments or even scribbling on pages like they are composing a story.
    Speaking of Active Skills...
    Yeah, much of that could be Active Skills similar to the Weaponmaster's Hammer Strike and Whirlwind, the Cleric's Castigation and Tank's Javelin.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

LMAO
    Yeah, there's also not a list ot Bard Active Skills, so I guess we shouldn't expect those either.

The weapons list lists "potion launchers" as a possible weapon, but doesnt list anything about instruments at all.... hmmmm. The weapons list lists bows even tho they have not been functionally implemented yet... hmmmmm..... i do not believe you will be swinging a guitar....

Crazy how much you try to stickler to whats in the wiki when it favors your arguments and now its like it doesnt even exist.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Potion launchers were hand-weapons in APOC and will be pretty sure naval canons in Ashes.
    I'm pretty sure the Predator demo included a Bow.
    We know next to nothing about Bard combat, but Steven's expectation is that Bard physical instruments will be a Flute or a Violin - and those can be transmogged into Bagpipes (or some other instrument). Just because something is not listed in the wiki does not mean it's not been discussed by the devs. Transmog implies gear, like weapons.

I'm a stickler for what th devs have said about the Ashes game design. Yes. And the wiki helps with that.
    But the wiki does not contain 100% of the Ashes game design nor even 100% of what the devs have stated.

Who said that Bards have to swing a Guitar? Each "weapon", including instruments, will have their own animations.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member

So do you think my Ranger can have & use a guitar? I’m ok with this - could be cool for implementing a music system downstream.

Though seems like this would take a bit from bards.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

So do you think my Ranger can have & use a guitar? I’m ok with this - could be cool for implementing a music system downstream.

Though seems like this would take a bit from bards.
    Yes. I think your Ranger will be able to use a Guitar. Just as my Cleric in Alpha One used a Wand.
    You would still be using Ranger Active Skills . Andwould be pretty cool if you're a Bowsinger (even better if you're wielding a Violin).
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Instead of swinging the actual instrument/book at mob, I see it more like flinging NOTES or WORDS (don't forget Vicious Mockery) at mob to do damage.

Perhaps there could be racially different instruments as well; books can always be different.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf