Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Shop Cosmetic melting system - not p2w, don't worry:)

LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited July 2022 in General Discussion
Hello,

I wanted to suggest that you create a melting for a cosmetics, skins. Because, after a years of using, mostly they just get bored and you want to get melt of them with a profit. For example, you have some cosmetic items and melting them and you get some Ember currency. Even if it's a little bit of Embers.

P.S. Edited: It's not p2w system, you melting cosmetics to get little bit of Embers (5-10%) to use in cosmetic shop.

Comments

• Options
    ElderElder Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Every cosmetic we've had so far are FOMO exclusives. The idea of a hijacker being able to permanently delete cosmetics on my account would make me constantly anxious.
    Which is the greater folly, summoning the demon or expecting gratitude from it?
    gif.gif
  • Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • Options
    Next thing he is going to say is you can melt the outfits to get better enhancement chance.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    As long as it doesnt translate to bdo p2w, idc.
    But let me ask you... did you ever go to any company and said "Im bored with your product, can you melt it and give me some credit, even just a little?", and what would you expect the answer to be?
    Not to mention the coding, maintenance and customer service required for the company to lose money in the suggested melt/ember scheme.
  • Options
    I don't recall ever getting bored of the skins I've bought, but I've only ever bought ones I really really liked, so maybe that's why.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Next thing he is going to say is you can melt the outfits to get better enhancement chance.

Haha, looks like you played Black Desert, but no bro, I will not say that, because it gonna be p2w in AoC.
    I actually think that our skins would not stay on the sidelines for years. In games like CS:GO you can sell the ones you are no longer interested in. In such as Valorant, you stay with skins for eternity. Both options I think harm AoC players. We need that there would be no p2w, but it would also be possible to get rid of old skins at least with some profit.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    As long as it doesnt translate to bdo p2w, idc.
    But let me ask you... did you ever go to any company and said "Im bored with your product, can you melt it and give me some credit, even just a little?", and what would you expect the answer to be?
    Not to mention the coding, maintenance and customer service required for the company to lose money in the suggested melt/ember scheme.

Good question, but imagine you bought some golden Rolex and you can resell that in the future. If you can't and you tired from Rolex, you can just melt them for a gold. Looks weird to melt Rolex, btw it's possible:) Or any other item from something that worth it.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Lineager wrote: »

Haha, looks like you played Black Desert, but no bro, I will not say that, because it gonna be p2w in AoC.
    I actually think that our skins would not stay on the sidelines for years. In games like CS:GO you can sell the ones you are no longer interested in. In such as Valorant, you stay with skins for eternity. Both options I think harm AoC players. We need that there would be no p2w, but it would also be possible to get rid of old skins at least with some profit.

The only real reason im against this is because it removes some monitary gain of the cosmetic shop from it. And if they are going to do a cosmetic shop, and bite the bullet of people thinking a bit of "greedy development" then they may as well make as much profit off of that shop as they can to fund GM's and such.
  • Options

The only real reason im against this is because it removes some monitary gain of the cosmetic shop from it. And if they are going to do a cosmetic shop, and bite the bullet of people thinking a bit of "greedy development" then they may as well make as much profit off of that shop as they can to fund GM's and such.

It will take some profit from Intrepid pocket, but not so much, especially if it will be not a huge amount of compensation, like 5-10%. But this also will motivate you to buy cosmetics even more, in which case you can melt them and get some profit. Like if I'm not sure I need that cosmetic or not, btw I get that cosmetic because I can melt that in the future, if I gonna tired from it. On the other hand, I'll just wait for my "perfect cosmetic" and not buy middle-pretty cosmetics.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not necessary.
    Also, I can't imagine how I could get "bored" of cosmetics.
    Any of my alts might want to swap cosmetics in the future. Especially when attending certain types of Events.
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited July 2022
    Like if I'm not sure I need that cosmetic or not, btw I get that cosmetic because I can melt that in the future, if I gonna tired from it.

Sounds like you're looking for "buyer's remorse insurance", @Lineager ... which doesn't exist in real life or any cosmetic shops in current MMOs. Are you a person that can't stop yourself from impulse buying in the grocery store checkout lane??
    But this also will motivate you to buy cosmetics even more, in which case you can melt them and get some profit.

That's not how a cosmetic shop revenue model works.

Instead of buying mount skin 'A' and pet skin 'B' at full price, you're proposing to buy mount skin 'A' at full price and pet skin 'B' at a discounted price (from redeemed Embers). All the while, you would be buying pet skin 'B' anyways because it was a brilliant piece from the Intrepid Art Team.

• Options
    Like if I'm not sure I need that cosmetic or not, btw I get that cosmetic because I can melt that in the future, if I gonna tired from it.

Sounds like you're looking for "buyer's remorse insurance", @Lineager ... which doesn't exist in real life or any cosmetic shops in current MMOs. Are you a person that can't stop yourself from impulse buying in the grocery store checkout lane??
    But this also will motivate you to buy cosmetics even more, in which case you can melt them and get some profit.

That's not how a cosmetic shop revenue model works.

Instead of buying mount skin 'A' and pet skin 'B' at full price, you're proposing to buy mount skin 'A' at full price and pet skin 'B' at a discounted price (from redeemed Embers). All the while, you would be buying pet skin 'B' anyways because it was a brilliant piece from the Intrepid Art Team.

It does exist in bdo you melt skins for p2W. System being added int he first step.
  • Options
    Yeah...and...again...
    You probably should not be trying to use BDO as a reference for Ashes game design.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Yeah...and...again...
    You probably should not be trying to use BDO as a reference for Ashes game design.

This is a BDO concept to melt outfits...
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    I know I’m late - so forgive me - I’m not following what problem this is proposing to solve. Can you help me understand?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2022

I atually like skins, cosmetics in mmorpg, and also in some games like cs:go. But, no, i'm not a person who buys everyhing from shop and can't stop myself - especially when you can't resell them later, like in cs:go you have this functionality, but in AoC it gonna be looks like p2w system.
    Anyway after few years of playing AoC a lot of us will tired from many of skins and all of these cosmetics will stay with us.

In BDO you are melting outfits to get crowns which actually can be used in enchanting for not get your gear destroyed when you unsuccessfully enchanted item. So that's 1001% pw2 system.

Here is my vision: to make "cosmetic melting functionality". Where you can melt what you not will use in the future or otherwise it will be with you for entire your [ingame:)} life. After melting you get some little bit Embers to use them for cosmetics. It also can be random-craft system where you put, for example, 10 cosmetics and get some randomly new-one skin or not get, if it's failed, not sure if you wanna like it:) So first my example is better, when you just melting them for a little bit profit.
  • Options
    Night WingsNight Wings Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I know I’m late - so forgive me - I’m not following what problem this is proposing to solve. Can you help me understand?

From what I'm seeing it's not solving a problem its a solution to add a option. Basically what I'm gathering from all this and correct me if I am way off, but its like a domino's reward system.

( or really any other food service reward points system )

piece-of-the-pie-759x500.jpg

but instead of buying a cosmetic and receiving points towards getting a free pizza you have to melt/destroy the cosmetic that you bought and no longer want to keep to get a percentage Refund of some sort of currency to put towards another cosmetic you want to buy.

Example using the domino's picture above lets say it takes 60 points to buy a cosmetic and each outfit you melt give you 10 points therefore you need to destroy 6 store cosmetic's to buy a single cosmetic item without actually need to pay Real money to get a new outfit.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cosmetic_store
    The Cosmetic store enables players to purchase Cosmetics for use in Ashes of Creation.[3] The cosmetic store offers limited time, limited quantity items to help sustain game development.[4]
    The only real reason im against this is because it removes some monitary gain of the cosmetic shop from it.

Going off the theory I said up top 6 cosmetic melted/destroyed for 1 outfit I personally don't see how they would loose anything that one person had to buy 6 cosmetic outfits with real money. Also going off of the "cosmetic store offers limited time, limited quantity items" Those outfits that he destroyed just became more valuable, because there's one less person out there with it. Another thing is that person who destroyed those 6 outfits just limited there variety of cosmetic in there "closet" and the next cosmetic outfit he likes he will have to purchase with real money. If anything it would be perceived (in my opinion) AOC is rewarding or simply saying thank you for purchasing the item.

(remember player's will be paying a subscription fee with zero box price anything bought in the store is a added bonus)

Personally don't see any problem with this idea ^^^ what I posted, but this quote down below.
    Elder wrote: »
    Every cosmetic we've had so far are FOMO exclusives. The idea of a hijacker being able to permanently delete cosmetics on my account would make me constantly anxious.

I think Kickstarter/Summer any cosmetic that is purchase before the game is out shouldn't be able to be deleted ever. Any cosmetic bought in the store should only be exchange in a type of currency that can only be used in the store cosmetic shop and can be refunded if someone did ever hijack anyone account. I would imagine they would have a player log of cosmetic melted/destroyed.

• Options
    I'm sure there will be sales on the shop where you can save money in time lol.
  • Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    When I saw the title, I first thought this was some kind of inventory management scheme, then as I read this it seems more like paving the way for future pay to win

Personally, I dont want to lose any cosmetic I buy ever and the idea of being able to accidentally melt and destroy them gives me some FEAR!!! I will buy a lot, and probably change often depending on how I feel or what I do with roleplay or how I want to look when I steal your loot to be more recognizable as that crazy mage everyone should run away from.

What I am very interested in, specifically with cosmetic items is how they will deal with inventory management and cosmetics. What I truly WANT to see, is a transmog storage system very similar to Guild Wars2. Because I will be collecting many and more items to mix and match pieces from different gearsets as I see fit. Coloring them also, its a big part of gameplay for me, customizing my character design to look cool (to me anyway)

In that, I mean once I unlock an item, it is unlocked forever on my account, and doesnt use up any actual inventory space in my bank or wherever. To use it, I just open up a Transmog page in game, select an item from a list of things that I have already unlocked on that page, and hit apply. If it is intended that I only have one per account then that can be managed here also.

Please Intrepid, think of the item bloat, think of my poor inventory and save me.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Yeah...and...again...

This is a BDO concept to melt outfits...
    Right - which is fine.
    It should not be implemented in Ashes.
  • Options
    The problem seems to be getting bored with your old stuff and having a means to replace it with different stuff without spending more money.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Once you melt an item it’s gone forever, right?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Taerrik wrote: »
    When I saw the title, I first thought this was some kind of inventory management scheme, then as I read this it seems more like paving the way for future pay to win

Personally, I dont want to lose any cosmetic I buy ever and the idea of being able to accidentally melt and destroy them gives me some FEAR!!!

My friend, where you get here p2w? Can you please explain? There is zero p2w, because you just melt cosmetics for cosmetics and can't even send it to another player. Just melted like 6-10 skins for another 1 skin, like example. Or just melting skins for Ember currency - which is you can use in cosmetic shop.
    Once you melt an item it’s gone forever, right?

Yes.
  • Options
    PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The real question is... why melt... when you could just buy another skin....

Well i got bored of those other ones and wanted another skin... then... buy another skin... but i dont want to pay for more skins... then... Earn a skin, in game.... the real question is, is this melting cosmetics for more cosmetics needed... i dont think so. If you're buying skins, i have no sympathy for you.
  • Options
    This really does pave the path to add pay to win via BDO system in here. If you cannot see that, then I am sure everyone else in this thread that can see that and has already described that to you. You can just read their replies again.

With the method you described, breaking down an unwanted purchase to trade for a different purchase, I dont see the devs going for that as cosmetics will be a primary revenue stream for them. If you dont like what you have, buy something else. Costume art is still art, artists gotta get paid, Intrepid still has overhead costs. Based on nearly ever other game in similar genre cosmetic revenue is what is going to keep the lights on.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Since item melting would only result in some amount of embers, and embers are only usable in the shop, and the shop only sells cosmetics, there’s no p2w here.

To @Night Wings’ point - this is a slightly skewed version of a buy 10 get one free deal - it really just comes down to Intrepid’s cosmetic pricing & marketing strategy. Do they need to incentivize cosmetic purchases? Is it a limited time offer or an extended structure?

I think it really depends on the volume of cosmetics purchased to justify creating another system to manage the exchange. Keep in mind not all cosmetics are valued equally, so you’d have to determine the valuation for each class of item melted. Not hard, but also not really necessary if the demand in high enough.

I’m not against it outright, but sort of meh as to whether the juice is worth the squeeze.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Taerrik wrote: »
    This really does pave the path to add pay to win via BDO system in here. If you cannot see that, then I am sure everyone else in this thread that can see that and has already described that to you. You can just read their replies again.

No one here has given one argument why this will lead to p2w. Just everone talks about BDO p2w system, which from day one was p2w. Don't take it personally, but I don't think you've played BDO and you're translating arrows into other people's words.
    You just can't answer on a question where did you get the idea that this will lead to p2w. Do you think Intrepid will decide to add p2w elements to the melting of cosmetics? If you not trust them, so there btw it can be in any aspect of the game.
  • Options
    Having outfits melt down into other currencies and being able to sell them would lead to pay to win. Melting them down is the first step, it means part of the work is done. So it is more being wary of the future...

All I see in this post is you want more free stuff so you can save money. Don't buy something you can't see yourself enjoying or will get bored of it is that simple. If you want to save money buy things when there are special sales going on.
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Lol wtf is even this suggestion
    Izil.png
  • Options
    I have sunk thousands of hours into BDO ^_^, no need to come after me in some sort of method to attack my credentials as a way to break apart my argument when you are willfully ignoring the obvious

And I just can't answer? Why are you coming specifically after me when other posters have already specifically detailed why?

Step 1) Mechanic for melting down cosmetics
    Step 2) Instead of granting Embers, also grant some in game benefit (thus pay to win)

That is literally BDO, why put the temptation of having an already in place system for the devs to say hmm, money is nice, lets just make one minor alteration to this system we designed years ago back in pre alpha.

Cosmetics is the generally the largest portion of income for games in this genre, its what keeps the lights on for the company and pays all the bills. You seem blind to that by
    1) wanting to not pay for neat new cosmetics you see later on by giving up your own cosmetics you have worn out for awhile now. You just want to toss out your old stuff you bought so you dont have to buy your new stuff.
    2) You want the mechanic already in place for them to be able to tempt more and more sales for those items

I have two points to make to you.
    1) We already have amazing promises, things like no loot boxes from Intrepid, lets not tempt them with an obvious path for pay to win like this,
    2) and lets not be cheap and devalue their time and effort when it comes to designing the awesome cosmetics they make for us.

If you want it, buy it for what they are asking for it.