Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cash shop item to NOT see other players costumes and cosmetics

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Or just implement the Cow Curse from Project Gorgon.
    Maybe make it a Sheep Curse to avoid copyright infringement.
  • Options
    When the game has aesthetic and its clear who is wearing something bought, but the person still wants to mention it like aesthetic progression isn't in the game and like they can't just not use the shop and wear what they gain from playing the game.

Stop trying to control what people do, do what you want to do and that is fine. Be happy there is no way to win in the game or P4C. This is a company that is spending million and millions of dollars to make a game, they still need to make profit and game development is more costly than it was in the past.
  • Options
    It feels like it'd be more immersion-breaking to NOT see peoples' cosmetics; I hate seeing the patch-work clown suits can lie underneath a good-looking exterior.

Would have to voice support against this notion. *If* turning such things off had been an option? It shouldn't cost you extra money to use it.

• Options
    @Mag7spy I don't really know what you mean here.
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    When the game has aesthetic and its clear who is wearing something bought, but the person still wants to mention it like aesthetic progression isn't in the game and like they can't just not use the shop and wear what they gain from playing the game.
    I don't see how wanting to not see shop purchases on characters from POV only. Is trying to control people, yeah you do what you want, i'll do what i want. I'm glad there's no P2W in the game and happy it's a sub cost. I just don't enjoy cosmetics, there are some exceptions, i don't enjoy costumes at all, and for others like me, why not let us enjoy the game as much as we can, no need to be so edgy about it.

if the gear someone is wearing is a metaphorical clown suite and that's immersion breaking, then there's something wrong with the gear design. which happens, and you're right @Tryanthraxus they suck to look at too, but that's how I feel with every costume I see.
  • Options
    Hahaha.
    No.
  • Options
    Volgaris wrote: »
    @Mag7spy I don't really know what you mean here.
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    I don't see how wanting to not see shop purchases on characters from POV only. Is trying to control people, yeah you do what you want, i'll do what i want. I'm glad there's no P2W in the game and happy it's a sub cost. I just don't enjoy cosmetics, there are some exceptions, i don't enjoy costumes at all, and for others like me, why not let us enjoy the game as much as we can, no need to be so edgy about it.

if the gear someone is wearing is a metaphorical clown suite and that's immersion breaking, then there's something wrong with the gear design. which happens, and you're right @Tryanthraxus they suck to look at too, but that's how I feel with every costume I see.

Literarily no one cares you don't enjoy it, don't buy it and stop crying as crying won't change anything. Games don't grow on trees.

You are wasting your time directing answer at a cash shop and you don't know how to go about it in a smart way. Be happy you have in game gear progression unlike most games, and if you feel there isn't enough in game then complain about it.
  • Options
    @Mag7spy there you go again, gross. I get it, YOU don't like it, move on already, it'll be healthy for you.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Hahaha.
    No.

There a reason why?
  • Options
    Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Do you get to control how you see other people appear to you in real life? No, you don't, so you want a fix that lets you magic away what they are wearing with a click of a button, and you're crying about immersion, in a video game. Go to a medieval festival then for fucks sake.

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm a player that values the aesthetic progression of my character and of those around me. I feel costumes are immersion breaking, and with the vast amount of cosmetics and costumes already in the game I think it's going to taint the beautiful world being created. I understand people like to see these things and will pay for it. Can I at least get an option to NOT see all the costumes and cosmetics?? I'd be more than willing to pay for it in the cash shop. If it's even possible, I have no idea.

The cosmetics are being used for NPCs in the world so this isn't a good argument to me. The cosmetics are part of the world.

Would this make all NPCs look generic?
  • Options
    VolgarisVolgaris Member
    edited August 2022
    Cat Quiver wrote: »
    Do you get to control how you see other people appear to you in real life? No, you don't, so you want a fix that lets you magic away what they are wearing with a click of a button, and you're crying about immersion, in a video game. Go to a medieval festival then for fucks sake.

I can't kill goblins or orcs in real life either sooo......

oh forgot my qqs for you QQ
  • Options
    I'm a player that values the aesthetic progression of my character and of those around me. I feel costumes are immersion breaking, and with the vast amount of cosmetics and costumes already in the game I think it's going to taint the beautiful world being created. I understand people like to see these things and will pay for it. Can I at least get an option to NOT see all the costumes and cosmetics?? I'd be more than willing to pay for it in the cash shop. If it's even possible, I have no idea.

The cosmetics are being used for NPCs in the world so this isn't a good argument to me. The cosmetics are part of the world.

@mcstackerson That's a good point! selling costumes does provide more assets to the game, i'll never buy em, others like won't either. but we'll pay to not see others, which is more money for more assets!
  • Options
    Cat Quiver wrote: »

I can't kill goblins or orcs in real life either sooo......

oh forgot my qqs for you QQ

YOU don't like it, move on already, it'll be healthy for you.
  • Options
    @Mag7spy you're still here? want a hug? I give them for free x.x
  • Options
    Hahaha.
    No.

There a reason why?
    Because everything you wrote in your post is patently absurd.
  • Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    If there was a cash shop item to disable seeing other peoples costumes, there will probably end up being a cash shop item to force you to see it.

It would have to become a stackable buff and whoever whales the hardest wins.
  • Options
    Hahaha.
    No.

There a reason why?
    Because everything you wrote in your post is patently absurd.

That's like your opinion man.
  • Options
    MaiWaifu wrote: »
    If there was a cash shop item to disable seeing other peoples costumes, there will probably end up being a cash shop item to force you to see it.

It would have to become a stackable buff and whoever whales the hardest wins.

Lmao, yeah it would be an endless cycle of wallet wars
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

That's a good point! selling costumes does provide more assets to the game, i'll never buy em, others like won't either. but we'll pay to not see others, which is more money for more assets!

You side stepped the question. Your argument is that you want to shut them off because you say they "taint the beautiful world." I'm saying they are part of the world.

If you think they need to be shut off, do you think they also need to be shut off for the NPCs that use them?

It also isn't necessarily more money if it affects buyer behavior and decreases purchases. The item's existence decreases the value of cosmetics so even if people aren't buying your item, it's existence will decrease the purchase of cosmetics.
  • Options
    VolgarisVolgaris Member
    edited August 2022
    @mcstackerson
    You side stepped the question. Your argument is that you want to shut them off because you say they "taint the beautiful world." I'm saying they are part of the world. -This is a difference of opinion. I think anything bought in a cash shop taints the game. I just don't like it, but I understand the value it brings to the game, value as in revenue for the devs.

If you think they need to be shut off, do you think they also need to be shut off for the NPCs that use them? -- Remember we're talking about cosmetics and costumes, if NPCs are wearing these then they have lore or mechanical purpose. Why would gear up an NPC then put a costume on it? As a dev you just make the gear look and be what you want to fit the story or lore. So when you say NPCs use them? do NPCs really use cosmetics and costumes, can their use be compared to how a player "uses" it?

It also isn't necessarily more money if it affects buyer behavior and decreases purchases. The item's existence decreases the value of cosmetics so even if people aren't buying your item, it's existence will decrease the purchase of cosmetics. -- yes you're right, this might be true. but either way of thinking is just speculation. only one way to find out lol

I'm just spit balling a wild idea, i'd highly doubt ashes devs would implement this unless they thought it'd make them real money. There's a lot of people that never buy cosmetics, i guess the question would be what is that percentage and what would be the percentage of those that'd paid to not see cosmetics. It's another customer base. So far the cosmetics i've seen look awesome, and the fact that they are assets in the game just makes the game better, so it's an acceptable compromise, and it seems ashes is doing it right.

• Options
    mcstackerson
    You side stepped the question. Your argument is that you want to shut them off because you say they "taint the beautiful world." I'm saying they are part of the world. -This is a difference of opinion. I think anything bought in a cash shop taints the game. I just don't like it, but I understand the value it brings to the game, value as in revenue for the devs.

What mcstackerson is trying to point out is that these cosmetics will be in the game for NPCs. NPCs will wear the cosmetics. You are going to see them in-game regardless of whether or not people buy them.

They are already part of the world because NPCs will wear them, and therefore they won't stand out and look out of place, because they are already in-place.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Options
    T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How can it be immersion breaking if the world was designed to have these items? Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it doesn't fit into the world.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Aside from Stuffertons (which I hope I never actually see in-game) they've been really good about keeping cosmetics consistent and immersive. No flying motorcycles or giant popsicle weapons. This isn't an Asian MMORPG.

(By the way, I play Asian MMORPGs, I've spent quite a bit of time in TERA Online and Lost Ark, so I don't hate them. But this game is a refreshing break from that nonsense.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    At first I really wasnt opposed to this. But honestly if someone's character looks a way that you dislike, just kill them. That's my plan with all stufferton riders. KOS.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Aside from Stuffertons (which I hope I never actually see in-game) they've been really good about keeping cosmetics consistent and immersive.

Stuffertons and its rider are KOS!

n53ldo0ww2wy.png

• Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    That's my plan with all stufferton riders. KOS.

Seems like a solid guild bylaw.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited August 2022
    Torc wrote: »
    Aside from Stuffertons (which I hope I never actually see in-game) they've been really good about keeping cosmetics consistent and immersive.

n53ldo0ww2wy.png

And tear out all that stuffing coming out of its side, and force-feed it to Stupidtons as it lies dying in the dirt, and watch and laugh, and......

Ahem. Sorry about that.

I'd be interested to know just how many Stupidtons were sold, so we know roughly how many we need to mercilessly and relentlessly hunt down and kill.

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Torc wrote: »

n53ldo0ww2wy.png

And tear out all that stuffing coming out of its side, and force-feed it to Stupidtons as it lies dying in the dirt, and watch and laugh, and......

Ahem. Sorry about that.

I'd be interested to know just how many Stupidtons were sold, so we know roughly how many we need to mercilessly and relentlessly hunt down and kill.

If you don't want them on your server, just don't select a head-start server and you should only see a few of them (if any) in your entire lifetime on your server @daveywavey
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Warth wrote: »
    If you don't want them on your server, just don't select a head-start server and you should only see a few of them (if any) in your entire lifetime on your server @daveywavey

Violence is not the answer.

It is the question.

The answer is MORE
  • Options
    Aerlana wrote: »
    Warth wrote: »

Violence is not the answer.

It is the question.

The answer is MORE

giphy.gif