Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cash shop item to NOT see other players costumes and cosmetics

124»

Comments

• Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Iridianny wrote: »
    I like this idea.

Given your perspective on ‘winning’ visual progression, is being able to turn off someone’s costume a form of visual pvp? If you turn off a green’s costume do you gain wardrobe corruption?
    🤗

This is so irrelevant to what I said I don’t really know how to respond. I’ll start by asking you not misrepresent my thoughts. Visual progression is personal goal achievement type winning, not everything in an mmo has to be “pvp winning.”
  • Options
    @Mag7spy I was actually talking about a different discussion thread I made, not that one. But good job cropping nearly 20 pages of comments and thoughts into two small posts that are unrelated to what I said in this discussion.
  • Options
    This is so irrelevant to what I said I don’t really know how to respond. I’ll start by asking you not misrepresent my thoughts. Visual progression is personal goal achievement type winning, not everything in an mmo has to be “pvp winning.”

Ha! No need for pearl-clutching, I’m clearly just ribbing you from the p2w thread. 😜

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Mag7spy I was actually talking about a different discussion thread I made, not that one. But good job cropping nearly 20 pages of comments and thoughts into two small posts that are unrelated to what I said in this discussion.

yh9zx7um3ulx.png
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited August 2022
    @Natasha Yawn. You really only know one joke, clown.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    yb71tbxni57m.png

I'm actually surprised I haven't blocked them, by now...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Options
    Me too. I was laughing when I wrote that post after non stop comments of just toxic and nasty language from people, especially like you, because you didn’t like someone else’s opinion. A common theme for you in life probably… Some people were “literally pissed off” on that discussion forum lol. And now a some of you are still upset about it enough to post screenshots of it weeks later, which makes it even more funny. You still remember it because it’s rang true. Harsh truth sure and those tend to stick.
  • Options
    I get they are emotional if they just realized it was a bad take and moved on about the p2w part i wouldn't have any issue. I understand why people ton want to pay for cosmetics but I'm realistic and understand industry grows and evolves in both good and bad.
  • Options
    If the only realistic foundation for this concept being financially viable is that you're "giving Intrepid money just like the costume buyers are" then I hate to tell you, it's not realistic. The majority of people who do buy costumes will be buying more than one. Over the life of the game, they'll be spending more than $50 or w/e you imagine these costume-blinders will cost you. So in order for this to be financially feasible, you'd basically have to match the average cost of costume buyers on an ongoing basis, probably more since the knowledge such an item exists, regardless of the number of players buying it, would immediately reduce the number of players willing to spend money on costumes to a disproportionate degree.

Ultimately, you'd run into an issue where there will be people who immediately buy the blinders, creating progressively fewer costume-buyers, which will then cause fewer players to see value in the blinders and drop their "subscription" to them (without potential costume-buyers ever seeing that downward buying trend, still not buying costumes) and inevitably costing Intrepid money in the long run.
  • Options
    DolyemDolyem Member
    edited August 2022
    Me too. I was laughing when I wrote that post after non stop comments of just toxic and nasty language from people, especially like you, because you didn’t like someone else’s opinion. A common theme for you in life probably… Some people were “literally pissed off” on that discussion forum lol. And now a some of you are still upset about it enough to post screenshots of it weeks later, which makes it even more funny. You still remember it because it’s rang true. Harsh truth sure and those tend to stick.

You do realize that people are quoting you because they thinks it's funny right?
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Oh gawd Mag7Spy is back and packing the toxic negativity.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I like this idea.

Given your perspective on ‘winning’ visual progression, is being able to turn off someone’s costume a form of visual pvp? If you turn off a green’s costume do you gain wardrobe corruption?

There’s a Roald Dahl short story here, I just know it. 🤗

Worth it.
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited August 2022
    Fear not. With all the cosmetic bloat in the game already before release and the planned in-game functionality to turn them off, like during sieges, it won't be long after release that a custom client comes around that allows us to play aoc with the intended graphics. That way, Stevey boy can continue to appease the fashion stooges by officially supporting forced cosmetics while the rest of us enjoy the game properly. It'll be nice to be sliced to death with a sword rather than wacked around with a purple glowing Barney dildo.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Fear not. With all the cosmetic bloat in the game already before release and the planned in-game functionality to turn them off, like during sieges, it won't be long after release that a custom client comes around that allows us to play aoc with the intended graphics. That way, Stevey boy can continue to appease the fashion stooges by officially supporting forced cosmetics while the rest of us enjoy the game properly. It'll be nice to be sliced to death with a sword rather than wacked around with a purple glowing Barney dildo.

This sounds like an amazing way to get banned
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited August 2022
    Natasha wrote: »

If I can avoid cash shop bloat obscuring PvP and uprooting established worldbuilding, that's plenty enough reason to risk a ban. I value experience over virtual permanence.
  • Options

If I can avoid cash shop bloat obscuring PvP and uprooting established worldbuilding, that's plenty enough reason to risk a ban. I value experience over virtual permanence.

You would have to be dumb to edit game files and think you aren't going to get banned instantly. I thought your post was a troll joke one...the at fact you are being serious.
  • Options
    NikbisNikbis Member
    edited August 2022
    @ClintHardwood
    Looks like you're jumping to the conclusion that cash shop cosmetics in AoC will be anachronic/lore-breaking.
    I'm pretty sure everybody else here has come to a consensus a long while ago: they won't be.

I consider cosmetics, from the cash shop or not, this way:
    I don't know where people I'll meet comes from. I could fight a guy with a magnificent & shiny armor and quickly discover he's the lamest warrior there ever was. Or he could wear raggs with a rusty sword and beat the sh*t out of me.

Imagine what the Balrog thought when he faced the old man Gandalf with his ragged grey robe and his wooden staff. Would've stayed in its cave deep below if it knew what was coming.

Sure, we have stats and all in our gear. But once equipped, it's part of our character. The only difference with stats increasing as we level up is this part of our stats is modular. It's a simplistic way of increasing customization in numbers.
    As for the base appearance of these pieces of gear, it's just that: a baseline.

It was fun during early WoW when you could easily identify who's a threat just by looking at them. But it's a narrowed point of view. Immersion, in a seemingly endless medival-fantasy world where thousands and thousands of people lives, is not when you know the guy you're facing got his pauldrons from killing boars 2 regions from here.
  • Options
    I find it funny how people are out here trying to attack AoC and not other games out there they are playing lol.
  • Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    it won't be long after release that a custom client comes around that allows us to play aoc with the intended graphics.

They are the one's making the game, so anything they decide to put in, will always be the intended graphics. Whether we like it or not, doesn't change that it is intended.

So far, I think the vast majority of cosmetics that have been shown are intended to populate different areas of the world. I think this is jumping to conclusions for the direction the game will take in the future. But I don't agree, they've really shown anything I'd consider lore-breaking yet.

Additionally, the cosmetics have so far been in limited runs, so future players that missed the opportunity are unlikely to have them as well.

• Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited August 2022
    [i
  • Options
    RamirezRamirez Member
    edited August 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Volgaris wrote: »
    Liniker wrote: »
    imagine buying cosmetics for years, and people being able to disable cosmetics... hell no.

Only the people who bought the ability to disable cosmetics wouldn't see them on themselves or others. You'd still see and others that wanted to see them would still see them. Not sure me seeing your dressed up character is important to you. I'd much rather see the gear you've acquired. But fear not, this or anything like it has a snowballs chance in hel of actually happening lol.

That is stupid no, if someone buys a product you re going to see it, you carnet paying money to hide things. You are simply trying to create a reason for people to not buy cosmetics because you haven't come to terms with how things are now with games.

No matter what you do or think that will never change companies you have no money or influence. Nor ability to change peoples mind that spend hundreds of thousand dollars on games to stop.

Albion online have skins you have an free option to hide other players skins and people still buy it for real money and in game for millions of silver...

I personally dont Care for skins to and they just damage pvx MMORPGs, much more impressed when someone have an in game gear set hard do adquire , that was how i grow playing MMORPG, where the dude with an beast gear enter the city and everyone bow , this was Lost in mmorpg mostly because of skins and transmong, to dont mention other factors like in new world, all tanks and bruisers with gandhalf skin and mages with skins of plat armors, that was a shit show in wars .

That was a problem to in Albion like people ganking with skins that looks tier 1 gear , you decide to fight instead of Run, then you get One shoot and realize they have tier 8 gier. That was One of the reasons to them to add that option
  • Options

I hope you've not pre-ordered a pack, then. Cos spending that much money with the intention of getting banned seems rather ludicrous.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

giphy-downsized-large.gif?cid=b603632fp2svffcmdi83yynpfpexo413mpb1qzxnh3cei0nx&ep=v1_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy-downsized-large.gif&ct=s
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

No, this won't be possible.

The first thing the server will do when you log in to Ashes is scan your game files.

In games where add ons are a thing, this can't really be done as add ons alter game files. However, since Ashes won't allow add ons, your game files should be literally exactly t he same as everyone else's.

If they are not, the server will simply patch your client so that it complies.

I mean, I would personally like to see the option to not show cosmetics (though I fully understand why it will not happen, and am on board with that reasoning), and I am also all for people doing literally what they are able and allowed to do, right up to the line where they are not allowed to do the thing (or can't do the thing).

I've also stated outright on these forums my intention to do a specific thing once the game goes live, and have had many people claim that it will get me banned (it won't).

So, in many regards, I am on your side here.

However, what you are talking about here just won't be viable.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Volgaris wrote: »
    I'm a player that values the aesthetic progression of my character and of those around me. I feel costumes are immersion breaking, and with the vast amount of cosmetics and costumes already in the game I think it's going to taint the beautiful world being created. I understand people like to see these things and will pay for it. Can I at least get an option to NOT see all the costumes and cosmetics?? I'd be more than willing to pay for it in the cash shop. If it's even possible, I have no idea.

I’m always about more player-choice instead of less. So yeah this seems like a fine idea. It’s unlikely that I would use it, but options are good. Maybe it would even be good for the medieval-obsessed people who can’t bear the thought of good looking female armors.

+1 to your idea.
  • Options
    There's too much debate over whether this is a good idea or not and not enough debate over how it could be feasibly implemented from a project funding perspective.

Right now, there are no box prices, and the way the world is designed, they can't very well gate expansions behind pay-walls, so they will be "free" updates. Personally, I detest cosmetic shops. I would chip in another $5-10/month if it meant playing the game without it and having all that hard work go into in-game achievements instead. However, the majority of people would never pay more than $15/month for an MMO, and that fee alone is not enough to fully fund a large game studio running a live-service game environment with consistent updates.

If the cash shop is to be the only supporting form of income from AoC, they need to hit a sizable income target. There will definitely be some cosmetic buyers who're purchasing skins for their own roleplay aesthetic. However, I would argue the majority of potential buyers will do it for the sake of expressing their roleplay aesthetic to others. If you devalue cosmetic products to that large of a percentage of the potential market by creating a system where the majority of the playerbase can completely invalidate the social dynamic of cosmetic purchases, then the income which Intrepid receives from the cash shop will immediately plummet, and we'll be left in a scenario where the only solution to maintaining the game is raising the sub fee - a solution that won't work.

I also wish I could hide cash shop cosmetics. But fulfillment of this wish demands that the incentive for cosmetic purchases be changed from social to personal, and that objectively holds less value for the majority of the potential market. It would require an alternative for consistently funding this massive project post-launch, and I haven't heard a viable idea yet.
  • Options

lmao! well the first death to the purple sex object would be funny as hell as you try to figure out what the hel just happened. The following ones not so much...

I'd settle for corrupted players dropping all skins on death, purchased with RL money or Looted. they drop em all.
  • Options
    Nikbis wrote: »
    @ClintHardwood
    It was fun during early WoW when you could easily identify who's a threat just by looking at them. But it's a narrowed point of view. Immersion, in a seemingly endless medival-fantasy world where thousands and thousands of people lives, is not when you know the guy you're facing got his pauldrons from killing boars 2 regions from here.

Being able to see how someone is equipped in pvp (and even pve) and having the gameplay experience to know if you should run or fight is fairly important. This is most likely the reason these things are turned off in seiges and other events. I don't think this is a narrowed point of view. I believe the matters in open world pvp too when you might be contesting a gathering area or something else with people from another node/guild.
  • Options
    Sengarden wrote: »
    There's too much debate over whether this is a good idea or not and not enough debate over how it could be feasibly implemented from a project funding perspective.

Right now, there are no box prices, and the way the world is designed, they can't very well gate expansions behind pay-walls, so they will be "free" updates. Personally, I detest cosmetic shops. I would chip in another $5-10/month if it meant playing the game without it and having all that hard work go into in-game achievements instead. However, the majority of people would never pay more than $15/month for an MMO, and that fee alone is not enough to fully fund a large game studio running a live-service game environment with consistent updates.

If the cash shop is to be the only supporting form of income from AoC, they need to hit a sizable income target. There will definitely be some cosmetic buyers who're purchasing skins for their own roleplay aesthetic. However, I would argue the majority of potential buyers will do it for the sake of expressing their roleplay aesthetic to others. If you devalue cosmetic products to that large of a percentage of the potential market by creating a system where the majority of the playerbase can completely invalidate the social dynamic of cosmetic purchases, then the income which Intrepid receives from the cash shop will immediately plummet, and we'll be left in a scenario where the only solution to maintaining the game is raising the sub fee - a solution that won't work.

I also wish I could hide cash shop cosmetics. But fulfillment of this wish demands that the incentive for cosmetic purchases be changed from social to personal, and that objectively holds less value for the majority of the potential market. It would require an alternative for consistently funding this massive project post-launch, and I haven't heard a viable idea yet.

Valid argument. But we just don't know the number of people that would choose to NOT buy skins IF there was a "skin hide" option. And we don't know how many people would opt to buy the "skin hide" option. Arguing either way is just speculation. Steven has said many times that the game is already funded, so the cash shop hustle shouldn't be critical to the games success. Lets say theres 50k backers/preorderers. That's 15 x 50k. 750k per months. 15k players per server. So they only need 4 servers to house these players, a low cost overhead on hardware for sure, but lets say 50k for hosting. They'll need to pay devs/admins/staff each month. Most making 100k to 200k yearly (guessing with this). lets use 120k to make the math easy. 120k is 10k per months per employee. 10k time 50 employees is 500k. Leaving 200k profit. Add in a cash shop with or without a "hide skin" option will still be extra money. Also add in the 50k people that have spent 75 to 350 dollars on the game already. 3.75m to 17.5m, plus Stevens already 40m (i think). Financing the games development or lifespan shouldn't be an issue. These aren't exact numbers and probably miss a lot of the overheads of doing business. Sadly they are located in California which expensive to live so salaries are higher, and taxes are basically prima nocta there. Well they are San Diego which is a tiny bit better maybe.