Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Nodeless Playthrough ( Playing as an Adventurer / Outlaw / Merchant )

One thing I'd like to know about this game is, how will the gameplay be for Nodeless players? Is it a valid option to be nodeless, for example as a traveling merchant, an adventurer or an outlaw? Can you still have some kind of housing like a tent? I like to imagine all the possibilities with this, like slums next to rich cities, rogue bases in the wild or caravans on busy roads.

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think you mean non-Citizens?
    You cannot have any form of housing without being a citizen; not even a tent.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Housing is tied to the node systems.
    Playing as homeless should be no problem.
    Nothing said yet about camping in the wilds but maybe. Would be a good question for next week's Q&A.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    You cannot have any form of housing without being a citizen; not even a tent.

Is this correct?
    You need to acquire housing to become a citizen, not become a citizen to acquire housing.
    Player housing grants the ability to claim citizenship of a Village (stage 3) node or higher.[12][20]
  • Options
    Could do what AA/wow did and have a outlaw/neutral node that levels up as a nuetral town - for people that are corrupted or w/e
  • Options
    Hatham wrote: »
    Could do what AA/wow did and have a outlaw/neutral node that levels up as a nuetral town - for people that are corrupted or w/e

Intrepid has explicitly stated, that they do not want to have this in their game as to not facilitate being corrupted as a valid alternative playstyle.

• Options
    Cat QuiverCat Quiver Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Depending on whatever citizen caps end up being, it's still very likely being home/nodeless will be the rule, not the exception.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Yes you can play as a non citizen since you will still be able to deposit items in every node.
    I am actually going to do the same, unless the military node has some cool stuff.

In the latest stream steven said that players will be able to withdraw items only from the bank where they left them at. Obviously being a citizen in all these nodes isnt required.

So if you dont care about node activities and if you trust that the node will progress without your input, you can do it.
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    The fact is that you can only be a Node citizen if you own housing in said Node. However, housing is a scarce resource and I believe that the total number of available housing in a fully developed server will be lower than the number of players.

For that reason, there will absolutely be "nodeless" players, i.e. players who are not citizens of any Node, who have no roots anywhere.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://discord.com/channels/256164085366915072/256164085366915072/305348618544611328
    7:26 AM] Steven 😇: @Chkoupinator No, you may own up to 1 of each type of housing, but you must choose your citizenship, and this can only be changed with a cooldown of 2 weeks (still testing this change time)

Jun 26, 2020
    https://youtu.be/KesMtSOZl8k?t=2898
    mark 48:18

Player-owned in-node housing provides many advantages to a citizen. These amenities include, but are not limited to, extra storage, harvestable resources for farming and interior space for placeable furniture. These housing types advance and become larger as the node advances and can be resold to other players.

Sounds like you are already a citizen or you become a citizen the moment you purchase an in-node home.
    I don't recall if you had to do anything else to become a citizen in Alpha 1.
    But...

https://youtu.be/zWguiuv9iyY?t=2014
    mark 33:34

"Nodes have a system called Citizenship and you can only declare yourself the citizen of one Node at a time (per server), there's a cooldown period if you ever renounce your Citizenship. If the Node is destroyed, you lose your Citizenship and you can join anther Node as a citizen.
    The mechanism by which you become a citizen is: You must own property within the Node before you can become a citizen...
    There's three versions of housing:
    In-Node static housing...
    The Apartment system is an instanced version where the Mayor can ellect to build apartment builds, this then allows for additional citizens to become part of the Node, which collects additional taxes, which the mayor can then devote towards strengthening the defenses of the City for future Sieges or by expanding the City's infratructure, allowing more quest content and, or social organizations to sprout up...
    The Freehold system is a little parcel of land that you lay out int the open world, but it has to fall under the Zone of Influence, essentially the territory of a Node...
    Those are the three housing systems. Once you become an owner of one of those under a Node, you can declare yourself a citizen and you pay taxes and stuff."

---Steven

If purchasing In-Node housing or an apartment or setting down a Freehold is not the mechanism for becoming a citizen, Steven did not actually describe the mechanism for becoming a citizen.
    Seems unlikely that you can purchase a home, but not become a citizen and just avoid paying taxes.
    And it seems like the point of being required to place a Freehold within a ZoI is so the Mayor can tax your parcel of land.

So...I don't think you can just place a tent somewhere without being a citizen. Regardless of whether you have to become a citizen first or whether you immediately, automatically become a citizen of the Node where your home is.

https://discord.com/channels/256164085366915072/256164085366915072/304631047532969984
    7:55 AM] Steven 😇: @[AXIOM] Fwuppers There are taxes due on all property that prevents inactivity. These taxes are given to the local node.

Taxes on property seems to indicate citizenship. Especially when paired with the quote:
    "Once you become an owner of one of those under a Node, you can declare yourself a citizen and you pay taxes and stuff."

Also:
    If a player wants to achieve a freehold they can achieve the freehold, however the amount of effort resources and time that's required in order to achieve that freehold is a large amount. It is something that is a monumental achievement for you to to get that freehold; and the reason why is because freeholds tie in very heavily to the processing artisanship aspect. Some processing can be done in nodes, but the best processing is done on freeholds; and we want to make sure that there's a little bit of a throttle or gate on the amount of effort that's necessary to achieve that influence over the processing market.
    ---Steven

That amount of effort seems considerably different than just plopping down a tent.
    A Freehold is land ownership; not squatting. Sure, you could probably apply a tent skin to a Freehold building. But, you shouldn't expect to be carrying around a tent in your backpack and just picking it up and placing backdown wherever you choose to camp for the night, as you roam the world.
  • Options
    SirMaddin wrote: »
    One thing I'd like to know about this game is, how will the gameplay be for Nodeless players? Is it a valid option to be nodeless, for example as a traveling merchant, an adventurer or an outlaw? Can you still have some kind of housing like a tent? I like to imagine all the possibilities with this, like slums next to rich cities, rogue bases in the wild or caravans on busy roads.

They haven't really said what kind of stuff there well be for non-node affiliated people. Have only really talked about what you can do as a citizen, probably to try and push you to join one and be social.

There was a thread a while ago where people talked about having some sort of universal 'adventure's guild' type thing to progress with which would fall in line with what you're asking about, but it was all just ideas people had not confirmed stuff.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2022
    I do not think that nodeless players need any bonuses and rewards at all personally.
    Why would they?
    Do guildless people get perks? No.
    Do religionless people get alternative perks? No.
    Do familyless people get alternative perks? Probably no.

I mean, you already have perks for being nodeless:
    1. No risk to lose the investment you have put into a node
    2. Limited usage of Node Services despite you not having contributed to the construction and maintance projects of the node.

P.S. @SirMaddin
    as a travelling merchant, you do indeed want to be the citizen of a node. Preferably the citizen of an economic metropolis, as that's the one that allows you the purchase of Player-Shop Certificates. (allow you to globally set up a player-shop)

It would royally suck to move your goods from Node A to Node C and not have a way to sell them efficiently afterwards, since you can't buy a player-stall nor do you have a freehold in the city

Quote on that:
    https://discord.com/channels/256164085366915072/256164085366915072/721883912825208953

Outlaw aren't facilitates by being Nodeless. As the corruption system applies whether you are a citizen or not. Corruption makes you essentially Nodeless for the time you are corrupted, as entering a node would be suicide.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    I do not think that nodeless players need any bonuses and rewards at all personally.
    Why would they?

2. Limited usage of Node Services despite you not having contributed to the construction and maintance projects of the node.

P.S. @SirMaddin
    as a travelling merchant, you do indeed want to be the citizen of a node. Preferably the citizen of an economic metropolis, as that's the one that allows you the purchase of Player-Shop Certificates. (allow you to globally set up a player-shop)

It would royally suck to move your goods from Node A to Node C and not have a way to sell them efficiently afterwards, since you can't buy a player-stall nor do you have a freehold in the city

Quote on that:
    https://discord.com/channels/256164085366915072/256164085366915072/721883912825208953

Outlaw aren't facilitates by being Nodeless. As the corruption system applies whether you are a citizen or not. Corruption makes you essentially Nodeless for the time you are corrupted, as entering a node would be suicide.

I understand what you're saying here but my biggest complaint would be on a map this large and no global fast travel you would end up playing the majority of the game in one corner of the world and never get to see all it has to offer... Which kinda sucks.
  • Options
    Why would they?

P.S. @SirMaddin

Quote on that:

I understand what you're saying here but my biggest complaint would be on a map this large and no global fast travel you would end up playing the majority of the game in one corner of the world and never get to see all it has to offer... Which kinda sucks.

Why is that @SirChancelot
    You can be the citizen of a node and still travel around. Its not like the node puts a leash on your neck that pulls you back whenever you move more than 15km away.

You won't profit a whole lot from the Node, as you elect to play in the opposite corner of the map, but that's your prerogative. I mean, the only way node citizenship would affect you negatively in this case would be if you were trying to travel to a node that is at war with yours.
  • Options

Your argument for why you would only play the game in one corner of the world is exactly why you shouldn't play the game in only one corner of the world.

If your home Node is in the Desert biome, people in the Snow biome on the other side of the world will pay 10 times the price of Sand in the Desert biome. And, on the way back home, why not buy a couple of polar bear furs and sell it in your home Node for 10x the price that you paid for in the Snow biome.

I understand why you think the way you do, and I'm sure many people think the same way, that's why I'll be rich and you'll be poor, which is fine if you ask me.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    On a mature server, perhaps there will be a severe scarcity of housing. This could motivate the 'homeless' who want homes to join into the sieges of nodes whenever then can. If they can help bring down a metropolis, then all the nodes subject to that former city will be able to grow and create more housing...housing that the homeless swarms can hope to acquire.
  • Options
    SirChancelotSirChancelot Member
    edited August 2022
    Why would they?

P.S. @SirMaddin

Quote on that:

Why is that @SirChancelot
    You can be the citizen of a node and still travel around. Its not like the node puts a leash on your neck that pulls you back whenever you move more than 15km away.

You won't profit a whole lot from the Node, as you elect to play in the opposite corner of the map, but that's your prerogative. I mean, the only way node citizenship would affect you negatively in this case would be if you were trying to travel to a node that is at war with yours.

I get that this is an opinion thing, and I'm not saying I have a solution either.

But I feel like if I have all my stuff in one place, my house in one place, my guild plays here, if I want my node to grow I should do activities here to feed it XP, if my node is attacked I should be here to defend it... It seems like a lot of things that discourage you traveling further than what you can reach in an evening.

@BaSkA13 that is a really good point for the people who want to make money, or are big into crafting. But if I hear about a dungeon that sounds cool on the opposite side of the map do I just go there and try to bum off local groups, or should I try to get a whole party to coordinate this cross map trek?

But I'm just speculating here, I don't actually know how long it would take for me to travel around the world in ashes. They have mentioned limited flight paths or fast travel, so maybe I'm just worrying too much.
  • Options
    SirMaddinSirMaddin Member
    edited August 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    Yes thats what i meant, Nodeless was a wordplay on Maidenless from Eldenring.
    Intrepid has explicitly stated, that they do not want to have this in their game as to not facilitate being corrupted as a valid alternative playstyle.
    It makes sense that they don't want to encourage Players to harass others. Maybe the Corruption System could be a good counter incentive for this?
    Cat Quiver wrote: »
    Depending on whatever citizen caps end up being, it's still very likely being home/nodeless will be the rule, not the exception.
    To my knowledge there will be also instanced player housing. Will this be limited too in a city node?
    Why would they?

Makes sense too me. I guess, my idea of a "Nodeless player" was to create an alternative playstyle too a full citizen. Either as a freeloader who doesn't want or can pay taxes and has therefore less protection or maybe even as kind of a social group. A band of outcast so to say.
    I don't know if this is still relevant but as far as I know there can't be two fully advanced cities next to each other. Maybe this could give us some space on adjacent nodes for some of these concepts or other new ideas.
  • Options
    Nothing said yet about camping in the wilds but maybe. Would be a good question for next week's Q&A.

I would love too see this discussed in the next Q&A. Do you know how I can submit it?
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    On a mature server, perhaps there will be a severe scarcity of housing. This could motivate the 'homeless' who want homes to join into the sieges of nodes whenever then can. If they can help bring down a metropolis, then all the nodes subject to that former city will be able to grow and create more housing...housing that the homeless swarms can hope to acquire.

this-up.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited August 2022
    SirMaddin wrote: »

I would love too see this discussed in the next Q&A. Do you know how I can submit it?

Usually, a week before the livestream, Sir Vaknar The Awesome posts a Q&A thread in the Announcements section, where you can put one question, the shorter the better. People don't tend to read the instructions and end up posting three or four huuuuuuge long questions, that then just end up getting ignored cos they haven't followed the instructions.
  • Options

That is entirely dependent on how daring and confident you are. If this game was real life then travelling across the world would be dangerous. Exploring is literally an adventure, get your friends and guildies together to travel if you like. Or stay in your local nodes without seeing the world. The limitations are yours to set for yourself, whatever you are comfortable with.

And don't forget that a Science Metropolis allows fast travel from there to any of the local nodes. Not Global but I would like to see teleportation between all Scientific Metropolises as well if there are multiple ones. (Source: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Scientific_nodes)

r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    Scarbeus wrote: »
    I would like to see teleportation between all Scientific Metropolises as well if there are multiple ones. (Source: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Scientific_nodes)

Nah, if all five Metropolises were Scientific, that'd give you fast travel to every node in the game. I think the Scientific Fast Travel thing is a cop-out as it is. "No Fast Travel" should mean: "No Fast Travel". At the moment, we've got a "No Fast Travel" that means Scientific Metro Fast Travel and Family System Fast Travel. None should mean none.
  • Options
    Idk i feel like your gonna need a least one of the other types to be able to progress story or other things
  • Options
    Hatham wrote: »
    Idk i feel like your gonna need a least one of the other types to be able to progress story or other things

It'll be whichever ones happen to be levelled the fastest.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Nah, if all five Metropolises were Scientific, that'd give you fast travel to every node in the game. I think the Scientific Fast Travel thing is a cop-out as it is. "No Fast Travel" should mean: "No Fast Travel". At the moment, we've got a "No Fast Travel" that means Scientific Metro Fast Travel and Family System Fast Travel. None should mean none.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something (feel free to correct me), a Metropolis has a connection to nearby nodes, but all 5 wouldn't have a connection to all 100+ nodes on the map would they? Maybe the ZOI is bigger than I'm imagining it looking at the Wiki.

r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2022

Unless I'm misunderstanding something (feel free to correct me), a Metropolis has a connection to nearby nodes, but all 5 wouldn't have a connection to all 100+ nodes on the map would they? Maybe the ZOI is bigger than I'm imagining it looking at the Wiki.

Zoi is 20% of the map.

Scientific fast travel should hypothetically allow you to teleport to a Node at the edge of the ZOI then cross the border to the other Metro's ZOI and use their fast travel system to teleport in that network.

Unless its only possible to teleport from the metro itself. Which is my secret hope
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    @BaSkA13 that is a really good point for the people who want to make money, or are big into crafting. But if I hear about a dungeon that sounds cool on the opposite side of the map do I just go there and try to bum off local groups, or should I try to get a whole party to coordinate this cross map trek?

You will definitely hear about raids, dungeons, world bosses, etc. which are located on the other side of the world, probably via meta-gaming sources like Discord.

If it's in your group's best interest to try to beat that content, you will need to prepare and invest just to give it a try. If it's open world content, you'll either need to make alliances there or bring a shitload of people. You'll probably get wiped and/or run out of resources, and since you won't have your home Node storage with you, you'll need to buy supplies there, so you will need gold for that.

In my opinion, the best way to approach this scenario is to think of this expedition as a trip to a different country: you only take clothes and money with you and you come back home with memories, pictures and maybe some souvenirs. Focus on the souvenirs 😎

On the other hand there will be dungeons, raids, world bosses, etc. close to your home Node, so when that happens you'll have the upper hand.

That's why living in the center of the map and/or close to the water will probably be a good idea and highly sought after, as it will make moving around the map easier, faster and cheaper.

Scientific fast travel should hypothetically allow you to teleport to a Node at the edge of the ZOI then cross the border to the other Metro's ZOI and use their fast travel system to teleport in that network.

Unless its only possible to teleport from the metro itself. Which is my secret hope

I believe there have been some misunderstandings regarding Fast Travel:
    Scientific node superpower
    Scientific nodes that have reached the metropolis stage unlock the Teleportation superpower.

Citizens of metropolis scientific nodes may teleport between the metropolis and any of its vassal nodes, regardless of the stage of the vassal node, so long as the vassal node is not at war.

Citizens of vassal nodes may teleport to their metropolis node and back.

If there are multiple scientific metropolises, then an airship will provide faster travel between those scientific metropolises for citizens of those nodes and their vassal nodes, so long as the metropolises are not at war.

"This will allow Citizens and Vassals of Scientific Metropolises to do things more quickly than others, as fast travel is limited in the world of Ashes of Creation. They’ll be able to exchange goods and information with ease and get to locations in the world at a quicker speed in order to gather crafting materials to create recipes, as well as participate in limited-time events."

So, unless I'm missing something:
    • Fast Travel (teleport) only INSIDE the Scientific Metropolis' ZoI, i.e. its vassal nodes.
    • Faster Travel (airship) only BETWEEN the Scientific Metropolises, exclusively for citizens of either Metropolises or their vassal nodes

So, even if all five Metropolises are Scientific and if their locations are "optimal", if you want to cross the map you'll need to take an airship, not teleport. And you'll have to be a citizen of a Metropolis or its vassal nodes, which I'm pretty sure won't be something easy or cheap.

So, to illustrate, let's imagine there are three Scientific Metropolises A, B and C. If you're a citizen of Metropolis A and you want to go to Metropolis B, you can take the airship from A to B. However, if you want to go to Metropolis C but you're in Metropolis B, you will not be able to take the airship from B to C. You will need to go back to Metropolis A and then take the airship to Metropolis C.

In other words, faster travel is great, but it doesn't break the game, that's why it's called a superpower.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ...and the fast travel/teleport for a scientific node only applies to citizens and vassals of the scientific node.

ZOI will be up to 20% of the map, I think. Depending on which nodes grow, a metro may have a smaller ZOI. For example, a node near a map corner may grow to lvl 5 and two nodes which kind of hem the first in could also grow to lvl 5, right?

I suspect that there will no server with 5 Scientific Metropolis within in first two years after release. My $10 against your $5. Who wants that bet?
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    I suspect that there will no server with 5 Scientific Metropolis within in first two years after release. My $10 against your $5. Who wants that bet?

If reaching Metropolis level is as hard as I believe it might be, I'll be surprised if most servers even achieve 5 Metropolises of any kind within two years.
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited August 2022
    @BaSkA13 I hope that when players do something like this, I wonder if there will be the possibility for travelling merchants to set up temporary stalls near that content so you can service the adventurers repair/mats/potion/food needs for the expedition. That way you can have support merchants supporting the expedition.
    Now I know you can't just camp anywhere but what if you could purchase a timed stall permit from the node in question (even at the expedition stage) that allows you place a stall within that ZOI anywhere (with restrictions on not too close to dungeons etc).
    Or perhaps a travelling merchant caravan with NPC merchants? (can't remember if those are a thing, I remember the travelling booze caravan hehe)
    If it's in your group's best interest to try to beat that content, you will need to prepare and invest just to give it a try. If it's open world content, you'll either need to make alliances there or bring a shitload of people. You'll probably get wiped and/or run out of resources, and since you won't have your home Node storage with you, you'll need to buy supplies there, so you will need gold for that.