Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

THE PROBLEM IN ALL MMOS - TANK SCARCITY & DUNGEON GROUPS

Reposting this from the Dev Discussion on tanks because my post seemed out of place because the question was: "Would you prefer more traditional MMORPG main and off-tank roles, or would you prefer to see combat experiences with several tanks fighting?"

However, I was talking more about having more things for tanks to do and increasing the number of tanks within a 40-man raid to help the Tank Scarcity problem.

I would prefer to see several tanks fighting in a raid and here's why:

One of the biggest problems in MMORPGs is the lack of tanks for dungeons.
We've seen this in World of Warcraft, World of Warcraft Classic, and Elderscrolls Online, where it can take a DPS an HOUR to find a group for a dungeon, but a tank can find a group instantaneously. It has become so bad in some games that tanks can charge fees for their tanking services. I think that tank scarcity occurs because, in many MMOs, guilds focus on raiding content and most raid groups have a large amount of DPS and Healers compared to tanks. Let me show you an example with WoW Classic.

Your standard raid group in World of Warcraft The Burning Crusade has a raid group of
25 Players.
2 Tanks
6 Healers
17 DPS

That is:
1 Tank for every 3 Healers
and
1 Tank for every 8.5 DPS

Now a standard dungeon group has
5 Players
1 Tank
1 Healer
3 DPS

So hypothetically, there are about 5.5 DPS and 2 Healers waiting for a tank.
Raid composition is of course not the only problem with Tank scarcity, but I think it is the largest problem.

The AshesofCreation Wiki states that group content will be "tailored for 40,16, and 8 person group sizes"
"Parties will have up to eight (8) players in a single group
Raids will have 40 man groups."
https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Group_sizes

So, to correct for tank scarcity we would have the correct proportion of the 4 roles within Ashes of Creation. Tank, Healer, Support, and DPS. So as an example:

8 person group -
1 Tank
4 DPS
1 Support
2 Healers

16 person group-
2 Tanks
8 DPS
2 Support
4 Healers

40 Person group-
5 Tanks
20 DPS
5 Support
10 Healers

This part is just an example, we don't know how many players we need for each role

However, you can see that every 40-man raid team can be broken up into 5, even 8-person dungeon groups with the correct amounts of each required role.

In short - the proportion of DPS, Support, Healers, & Tanks should be the same between a 40-person raid group and an 8-person dungeon group.

Let me know what you think, and what your solution would be to solving tank scarcity.
Ymir-Transparent-Background.png
ᚺᛖᚨᚱᚦ ᛟᚠᚦᛖ ᛊᚺᚨᛞᛟᚹ ᛁᛗᛁᚱ

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Let tanks build for either decent DPS or mitigation depending on gear sets so that more people can play them in PvP and less-traditional PvE situations.

Then sit back and watch people who enjoy being both survivable and doing 'good but not the best' damage, learn to tank if they don't already know how.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2022
    I agree with you in a sense that, its bad design to make 1 tank necessary in each group, but have 2-3 out of 5 tanks be useless/left out in a Raid environment.

If each group should consist of 1 per Archetype in Group Content, then it needs to be ensured, that the same principle holds true for raid content.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Some of this lack of tanks concern is a community and people problem.
    People tend to have little patience in those games because they have made players disposable. If someone new tried to tank instead of helping them and guiding them along we see far to often the "Get out of here noob!" Mentality.
    Not having a dungeon finder should help. Is easier to lift up a newer player then spend the next hour looking for an established one.
    Several weeks ago ran a dungeon with a new tank and we helped them best we could. Shame more people don't do that.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This becomes a problem with the main tanks. When I main tanked I did not like other tanks taking aggro in solo tank instances/dungeons. I often played my alt to accommodate other tanks, but, other tanks refused to play alts when I was solo/main tanking. This was never an issue in areas/dungeons where multiple tanks were required - hence why we had multiple tanks in the first place, merely an issue when the instance/dungeon demanded a single tank or a single tank could handle the dungeon alone.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    People tend to have little patience in those games because they have made players disposable. If someone new tried to tank instead of helping them and guiding them along we see far to often the "Get out of here noob!" Mentality.
    Not having a dungeon finder should help. Is easier to lift up a newer player then spend the next hour looking for an established one.

I disagree here, dungeon finder definitely makes players disposable and I'm not at all arguing for a dungeon finder queue system. But, for example in WoW classic TBC, there is no dungeon finder, and IT STILL can easily take a group of 3 dps and 1 healer an hour to find a tank.
    ᚺᛖᚨᚱᚦ ᛟᚠᚦᛖ ᛊᚺᚨᛞᛟᚹ ᛁᛗᛁᚱ
  • Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited August 2022
    A possible solution is allowing the composition to change significantly based on what you have, instead of having multiple tanks in a raid as unfeasible, design the role to be flexible enough to fill for a dps or off healer. Id guess this is what they are doing by having a duel archetype system since this means a tank/healer or tank/dps or healer/dps or healer/tank can fill out multiple roles in a raid group. To solve the problem in the OP would be to simply allow a tank/dps to work for a dps role so that way when you get a group that has 3 tanks 1 dps and 4 healers you can still run the dungeon instead of handicapping groups to be 1-4-1-2 or some other rigid design. Now obviously for stat maxing raids on the top end this couldn't apply or if it did I'd assume the balance of classes was terrible, but that's not part of this discussion.
  • Options
    Squeezy wrote: »

I disagree here, dungeon finder definitely makes players disposable and I'm not at all arguing for a dungeon finder queue system. But, for example in WoW classic TBC, there is no dungeon finder, and IT STILL can easily take a group of 3 dps and 1 healer an hour to find a tank.

It does indeed take some time. However that is how I started healing way back in Guild Wars. Couldn't find a healer so I did it. Need more people to take the initiative and just do it.

I am hard core against anything almost in anyway resembling GW2's failure of a class system. Roles should be important. NOT a bunch of dps with a self heal dancing around a loot pinata.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Voxtrium wrote: »
    A possible solution is allowing the composition to change significantly based on what you have, instead of having multiple tanks in a raid as unfeasible, design the role to be flexible enough to fill for a dps or off healer. Id guess this is what they are doing by having a duel archetype system since this means a tank/healer or tank/dps or healer/dps or healer/tank can fill out multiple roles in a raid group. To solve the problem in the OP would be to simply allow a tank/dps to work for a dps role so that way when you get a group that has 3 tanks 1 dps and 4 healers you can still run the dungeon instead of handicapping groups to be 1-4-1-2 or some other rigid design. Now obviously for stat maxing raids on the top end this couldn't apply or if it did I'd assume the balance of classes was terrible, but that's not part of this discussion.

Not really how they are setting the class system up.
    Your primary archetype will set your skills and role.
    Secondary will argument what you skills do a little bit.
    Lot of mixed views here in the forums as to how far you can go. Need to wait for more information and alpha 2/beta's.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022
    In short - the proportion of DPS, Support, Healers, & Tanks should be the same between a 40-person raid group and an 8-person dungeon group.

Let me know what you think, and what your solution would be to solving tank scarcity.

Yeah, that's pretty much the exact same feedback I gave in the official thread, so I agree. :smile:

1 of each archetype per party of 8, and 5 of each per raid should be close to optimal in a majority of PvE encounters. Variation is great, and we should also get that, where some encounters call for more tanks, or more healers, or 10 bards for that matter. But as a rule of thumb, 1 each per party and 5 each per raid for optimal conditions, while still allowing for player experimentation and other combinations also working.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Do you think the fact that you can only have 1 active main tank at a time is what causes the scarcity?

I feel like that pressure on 1 person's shoulders is what scares people off from picking up the role.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    DeadDucklingDeadDuckling Member
    edited August 2022
    It's possible the shortage of tanks could be filled by other players switching their secondary class to "Tank." The devs stated they plan on letting players swap between secondaries. Of course, whether these secondary tanks will have substantial enough augments to substitute a Full Tank is completely up in the air as we're still in alpha. But that could be a solution. Obviously a secondary tank wouldn't match a Full Tank on their own, but if a few party members cross-classed with Tank, maybe you could manage
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ye well in AoC there wont be many instanced dungeons and groupfinder queues.
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    Do you think the fact that you can only have 1 active main tank at a time is what causes the scarcity?

I feel like that pressure on 1 person's shoulders is what scares people off from picking up the role.

Yes and No. I think many people, including myself are scared of the main tank role, but at the same time only needing two tanks for a 40 man raid and then needing 1 tank per group of 8 for dungeons would cause the same exact issues we've seen in many other MMOs.

Maybe, if there were a designated 5 tanks per 40 player raid team, people would be less pressured and more enthusiastic to pick up that role.
    ᚺᛖᚨᚱᚦ ᛟᚠᚦᛖ ᛊᚺᚨᛞᛟᚹ ᛁᛗᛁᚱ
  • Options
    It's possible the shortage of tanks could be filled by other players switching their secondary class to "Tank." The devs stated they plan on letting players swap between secondaries. Of course, whether these secondary tanks will have substantial enough augments to substitute a Full Tank is completely up in the air as we're still in alpha. But that could be a solution. Obviously a secondary tank wouldn't match a Full Tank on their own, but if a few party members cross-classed with Tank, maybe you could manage

They already said that Tank Secondaries are not meant to be primary/main tanks the same way Heal Secondaries will not be main healers.
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022

I don't think there should be a formula to beat PvE content, a magical number that always needs to be followed. In other words, I think some PvE content should be beatable with 1 tank, 10 healers and 29 DPS. Other piece of content, needs 10 tanks, 5 healers and 25 DPS. You get the point.

In my opinion, most people think that playing as Tanks and Healers is less fun than DPS because killing people is more fun than tanking or healing. However, if you make Tanks and Healers killing machines, the game becomes unbalanced and then there will be a scarcity of DPS classes.

Funnily enough, I never played as a support class in any MMORPG I've ever played - and I played quite a few - but I was a main support position 5 in DotA for a few thousand hours and got to 6k MMR by doing so. Why? Because being a support in that game was very rewarding for me, and often more fun than being the carry.

So, to answer your question, how to solve tank (and support) scarcity? Make those classes (and roles) fun: they might not win 1v1s frequently, but they can turn the tides of group fights via intelligence and skill.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options

Fortunately...

Also, I think the beneficial result is that guilds become the best approach to organize teams for content. Unfortunately, the LFG mindset has grooved an expectation for instant gratification to play through dungeons - at the price of social interaction, player significance, and meaningful gameplay.

So part of my thought here is that by guilds being the largest denominator it will slow down the overall approach on dungeons. If folks are on, great let's go. If not, we can move back to planned content sessions - making calendar / planning tools MUCH more valuable for interaction than Dungeon Tinder.

This is all goodness in my book.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    They already said that Tank Secondaries are not meant to be primary/main tanks the same way Heal Secondaries will not be main healers.
    right. and they shouldn't.
    Obviously a secondary tank wouldn't match a Full Tank on their own, but if a few party members cross-classed with Tank, maybe you could manage
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    From a main tank perspective and one who does not really want to tank in Ashes, the problem starts with the conquests. The fun and difficulty of finding a new dungeon to tank is a thrill. Run that dungeon 50 times or more, or, have a dungeon on farm and all of a sudden tanking is just repetitive shite that we'd rather not be rostered in to do every week. Tanks then spend more time on alts. In every MMO you will have this problem. It can be difficult to expect someone to be main tank for multiple years.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

Even if people have to yell in town "group looking for tank" versus sit in a auto fill queue, a tank shortage is still going to be a tank shortage. I don't see how ashes will be different than any other MMO here.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    What if, and hear me out here, we had a "class statistic" when we were looking for a server to play on? So like, if Intrepid sticks to the "1 of each archetype parties" design goal, they could track how many of each archetype there is on the server (would probably have to be a "first character on the account" kind of tracker rather than a pure char one) and then advertise the imbalanced roles with some small text and maybe a video of some cool abilities from the archetype.

So when a new player wants to play, say, a bard - he can look for a server where there's not enough bards. Obviously there's a high chance that alts would be helping out with that issue, but I'd assume any group of people would be more happy to have a pure main archetype than making one of their members play a class they didn't want to play.
  • Options
    WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2022
    NiKr wrote: »
    What if, and hear me out here, we had a "class statistic" when we were looking for a server to play on? So like, if Intrepid sticks to the "1 of each archetype parties" design goal, they could track how many of each archetype there is on the server (would probably have to be a "first character on the account" kind of tracker rather than a pure char one) and then advertise the imbalanced roles with some small text and maybe a video of some cool abilities from the archetype.

So when a new player wants to play, say, a bard - he can look for a server where there's not enough bards. Obviously there's a high chance that alts would be helping out with that issue, but I'd assume any group of people would be more happy to have a pure main archetype than making one of their members play a class they didn't want to play.

Considering that, every server is supposed to be different, i do believe, that a quick infosheet would be very appropriate when hovering over each server. In other games this is usually provided through the playerbase themselves thanks to an API. Here intrepid should cover it imo.

It could display information like class and races distributions. Location of Metropoli, a quick gaze into the top sheet of leaderboards as well as other KPIs collected by Intrepid, like No. of WB Kills in the last 7d, No. of PKs, No. of Guikd Wars, No. of successful and unsuccessful caravans.

Stuff like that. Things describing the situation on the server from different Angles
  • Options

I like the idea, but that would mostly just apply to new players trying it out. Most people who play with friends would all head to the same server despite what class distribution it has.

Also, would that data count for activity of those archetypes? ie: a bunch of people made bards and then switched to something and don't play them anymore or something that would throw off the numbers.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I like the idea, but that would mostly just apply to new players trying it out. Most people who play with friends would all head to the same server despite what class distribution it has.
    If you got friends to play with - ya ain't got class problems.
    Also, would that data count for activity of those archetypes? ie: a bunch of people made bards and then switched to something and don't play them anymore or something that would throw off the numbers.
    Could definitely account for lvl/activity too. And most likely even should, cause, as we both pointed out, there'll be cases of people playing on their alts instead of their mains.
  • Options
    If you got friends to play with - ya ain't got class problems.
    Could definitely account for lvl/activity too. And most likely even should, cause, as we both pointed out, there'll be cases of people playing on their alts instead of their mains.

What I meant with that first part is more of that people joining with groups of friends won't be as worried about class which would lead to even bigger imbalances wouldn't it?

The mindset of I like playing a mage and all my friends are here... So I'm going there to be a mage even if that's the number one archetype on the server.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    What I meant with that first part is more of that people joining with groups of friends won't be as worried about class which would lead to even bigger imbalances wouldn't it?

The mindset of I like playing a mage and all my friends are here... So I'm going there to be a mage even if that's the number one archetype on the server.
    Unless that group of friends goes directly against the alleged design of "1 of each is optimal" - they'll just add number of people on the server rather than bring imbalance to the classes.

But even if we assume that it's not a full stack of people and they did go against that design - one (or even a few) group of friends is nothing in the face of the potential 10k players on the server.

But I think I get what you're saying, if people just choose servers w/o looking at the stats or caring about minmaxing their party (which will obviously be the case for quite a lot of people) - you'll get unbalanced servers. At least initially.

But I think that would be fine. Content will be mainly pushed by the minmaxers who will be in optimal stacks (so theoretically "1 of each"). All the other people will just be playing at their low-mid pace and probably doing solo or small group content. This setup would bring some imbalance to the archetype stats at release. But then, every new player who have chosen some archetype and doesn't have a friends group (of which there'll be a ton) can look for the server that has a fitting imbalance. And now this person can easily find a group to play with, because statistically his archetype would be needed there.

Obviously they'll have to put in work, because some parties might've gone for a quick alt switch to make their party optimal, but if you're leveling a main with the explicit desire to go deep into the game - I'd assume any party who's lacking a main of that archetype would be glad to get you. At least I know I would , if I was in that kind of situation.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

Even if people have to yell in town "group looking for tank" versus sit in a auto fill queue, a tank shortage is still going to be a tank shortage. I don't see how ashes will be different than any other MMO here.

Never had a tank shortage in L2. Tanks were awesome to play in an mmo without instances or PvE gear. They were far from unpopular.
    AoC WILL BE different from all the mmo out there that are designed (and design classes) around treadmill instanced gameplay.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited August 2022
    Never had a tank shortage in L2. Tanks were awesome to play in an mmo without instances or PvE gear. They were far from unpopular.
    With, at times, even being fucking OP as hell. I've died countless times to some SK with his god damn ToD or some Paladin and his flying fried chicken.

It's all about the design and the developer's goal for that design.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    DA with the silence, fear, hamstring and panther. TK with life cubic.

People dont know what a tank is and how much fun it is. Meh... Ive said enough. Let them worry... there will not be an issue.
  • Options
    GondorGondor Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    People will play what's fun to them.

I like playing brawlers - and tanks are usually the best base class for it, but it can be really hard to find that niche. I don't mind tanking PvE content - I don't really like PvE content, but if necessary, I'm happy to slap a shield on and off we go. 99% of the time, I like swinging a big hammer - but the point is, I can and do tank.

Part of the scarcity (IMO) is the restriction; look at raid teams. People don't play tank because sometimes they can't get the slot. Sometimes there's nothing for a tank to do outside of PvE group content - it's a headache to quest alone or do solo activities when you do damage with a pool noodle. It's not really that fun.

Giving tanks viable non-tank specs without the need to regear will go a long way to increasing their availability. Tanking has always been a 'sometimes' activity - you don't need a sword and shield tank for a majority of game content*, so why force them to always be one?

* Think about it, tanking exists solely for group content, and often you're doing stuff on your own.
  • Options
    Gondor wrote: »
    Think about it, tanking exists solely for group content, and often you're doing stuff on your own.

Meh - Tanking solo can be pretty fun too. As long as you can eventually take the 7 mobs you pulled down.

Post-WotLK tank dps was ridiculously over-tuned. It made Blood DK and Vengeance fun as hell - being the most aggressive tank - but just stupid as a solo spec to pull 10-12 mobs and dps them down so quickly.

My hope is that tanks are calibrated with an appropriate, mutual give and take between damage output & mitigation, based on spec & augments that can be tuned for group v solo play.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png