release AoC on steam... please

Hey guys, Im new to the forums but ive been following development for a bit now. Gotta say, from someone who loves New World, this game may be the only other mmo I can enjoy and sink time into these days.
I know the whole "we dont play to release on steam" statement. Im not confused. But im here to say that It SHOULD be available on that platform as well. A lot of people (including me) would commit to getting the game if we knew it was coming on steam but as amazing as this game is, im on the fence.
Please, I dont need to hear all the "whats the difference" arguements lol... Its prett obvious why one might want all their games to be available through one platform.
I seriously hope this goes into consideration, especially since this game has a while to go before release. Thanks.

Comments

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Why would Intrepid give 30% of revenue on top of referrals and other expense already cutting into their $15 sub price? Not going to happen. Steam is where once good mmorpgs (and a whole mess of shitty ones) go as a last gasp to try and boost numbers to offset their incoming death.
    unknown.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I guess you are missing out on a shitload of great games that are not on steam. How do you feel about that?
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2022
    Steam is great for games who want the chance to attract a large amount of players once and are willing to give up 20+% of their revenue to do that.

They are shitty for games that expect continuous revenue, as they only get the benefit of steam (attraction of potential players) once, but continuously pay 20+% of their revenue to Steam for everything they buy afterwards, including subscription.

Hands down, AoC doesn't need Steam to increase popularity either. Once AoC releases, a large section of the MMO und Gaming Community will hear about it even without steam, considering that many of the largest streamers have already shown great interest in the project. This includes:
    • Shroud
    • Summit1G
    • Asmongold
    • TimTheTatman
    • LazyPeon

AoC might have many potential issues on launch, but popularity, publicity and outreach to potential players is certainly not one of them.

Joining steam would place an incredibly expensive band-aid on something that isn't even injured.

Also: @FishTiddies
    Google: "How to Add Non-Steam Games to Steam Library"
    Problem solved
  • HathamHatham Member
    edited August 2022
    While steam is great for people, i don't think they need to launch on steam -> maybe if things go well like gw2 have a steam launch later down the line but for the initial launch they can avoid some of the troubles that steam brings to deploying your game. (i am not going to list them)

Most of the big and medium streamers (also include all the websites) that play mmorpgs or react/follow news are looking forward to aoc and will try it. So they don't really need to worry about the community not being aware of it.

- i'd be here all day if i listed all the utube/twitch streamers and cc's
  • If the game is very popular then maybe it can get a very good deal with steam so having it on steam makes sense financially.
    Otherwise, yeah I don't see it happening.
  • @Ironhope there really isn't many individual deals going on.
    Steam is rather open in regards to their revenue share model:

30% for every $ until a revenue of 10 Mio. is reached
    25% for every $ between 10 and 50 Mio.
    20% for every $ above that.

Its overall great for small studios, indie companies and new developers, as it gives them the ability to tap into one of the biggest potential player bases in the world.

Less so for games that already have plenty of hype going around.
  • Why is it so important to you that it gets a Steam release? Why is that a deciding factor? I'm genuinely curious. Sure Steam is a reliable platform unlike some (e.g. Origin is a pile of trash) but if they are capable of releasing AoC on a decent platform of their own then there's no reason for a Steam release considering it'll reduce their own income.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Scarbeus wrote: »
    Why is it so important to you that it gets a Steam release? Why is that a deciding factor? I'm genuinely curious. Sure Steam is a reliable platform unlike some (e.g. Origin is a pile of trash) but if they are capable of releasing AoC on a decent platform of their own then there's no reason for a Steam release considering it'll reduce their own income.

I think its more do with the fact that on pc there is a massive group of people that wont/cant/or refuse to acknowledge any launch that isn't on steam - you see this will egs/itch.io/x store exclusives that make there way to steam.
  • Warth wrote: »
    Steam is great for games who want the chance to attract a large amount of players once and are willing to give up 20+% of their revenue to do that.

They are shitty for games that expect continuous revenue, as they only get the benefit of steam (attraction of potential players) once, but continuously pay 20+% of their revenue to Steam for everything they buy afterwards, including subscription.

Hands down, AoC doesn't need Steam to increase popularity either. Once AoC releases, a large section of the MMO und Gaming Community will hear about it even without steam, considering that many of the largest streamers have already shown great interest in the project. This includes:
    • Shroud
    • Summit1G
    • Asmongold
    • TimTheTatman
    • LazyPeon

AoC might have many potential issues on launch, but popularity, publicity and outreach to potential players is certainly not one of them.

Joining steam would place an incredibly expensive band-aid on something that isn't even injured.

Problem solved

You forgot Narc
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    Warth wrote: »

• Shroud
    • Summit1G
    • Asmongold
    • TimTheTatman
    • LazyPeon

Problem solved

You forgot Narc

I was thinking that too lol
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited August 2022
    I don't think Narc would even make the top 20-50 of content creators and streamers interested in the game.
    Purely based on reach / followers/subs
  • ChucksticksChucksticks Member
    edited August 2022
    Just make sure the login/authentication system is built well. Two factor-authentication with option of email, phone text, etc. with email/text audit trail for new logins (different IP address, MAC address, etc.). Also, I'd rather not have to re-enter/reset my password as often as every other week or month unless there's an major security event.

What's nice about Steam is that it handles all the authentication processes so that when I want to play I don't have to fiddle around with 2FA every login.
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Steam is also TERRIBLE for MMOs as it shows the concurrent online players and this can lead people to assume a game is "dead" when they see numbers going down - companies should not share those numbers for the health of the game
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Hatham wrote: »
    Scarbeus wrote: »
    Why is it so important to you that it gets a Steam release? Why is that a deciding factor? I'm genuinely curious. Sure Steam is a reliable platform unlike some (e.g. Origin is a pile of trash) but if they are capable of releasing AoC on a decent platform of their own then there's no reason for a Steam release considering it'll reduce their own income.

I think its more do with the fact that on pc there is a massive group of people that wont/cant/or refuse to acknowledge any launch that isn't on steam - you see this will egs/itch.io/x store exclusives that make there way to steam.

It's mostly because every single company is making their own launcher. Steam, Origin, Epic Games, Gog, Mygames and I can keep going on. Most of them are trashy.
    I'm ok with normal games, but I'm tired of having 100 launchers for launching my game
  • Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited August 2022
    Liniker wrote: »
    Steam is also TERRIBLE for MMOs as it shows the concurrent online players and this can lead people to assume a game is "dead" when they see numbers going down - companies should not share those numbers for the health of the game

Although your above statement is correct, @Liniker, players really shouldn't use Steam numbers for any sort of tangible discussions or to solidify a viewpoint.

Many MMOs have their own launcher (in addition to the Steam launcher) ... and the total Steam population might be as low as 5% of the entire playerbase.

In other words, looking at Steam charts isn't a high enough statistical sample to mean anything.
  • MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Many MMOs have their own launcher (in addition to the Steam launcher) ... and the total Steam population might be as low as 5% of the entire playerbase.

Yeah, this is the main reason why I don't understand the hype behind demanding a launch on Steam.

It's pretty clear the majority of MMO's that have ended up on Steam only account for such a small percentage of the playerbase.
  • Ideally this game wouldn't have a launcher at all.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • yeah not having to deal with the steam forum toxicity is a blessing
  • mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Why do you need a launcher if you never shut down the game, IKR :D
    Scarbeus wrote: »
    Ideally this game wouldn't have a launcher at all.

• SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If we could have mods, addons and api products I'd prefer to get them from one location like the steam workshop. Other than that I'd prefer a stand alone entry point. I did after all compaign for the switch to IS standalone away from My.com.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • It's a shame they won't go on Steam on launch, but if I'm being honest, if for some reason, somehow, the hype isn't enough and they need more players, they'll eventually launch the game on Steam.

I wish there was a way to add the game on Steam and avoid the Steam tax on every sale, maybe negotiate it to make it lower, but it's probably hard/impossible for smaller studios (small if compared to EA and other shit like that).
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited August 2022
    EA has Origin to mainline their catalogue. Only specific titles would be on Steam where the ROI makes it worthwhile (based on forecasted volume). Same approach with Activision & Ubisoft.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    I always thought if we'd be on any platform it would be Epic.com, seeing as we use unreal engine...
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Neurath wrote: »
    I always thought if we'd be on any platform it would be Epic.com, seeing as we use unreal engine...

It just comes down to the price tag back to Intrepid. If you buy a solution for distribution (&DRM) you’re paying a premium, if you launch you’re own then you’re owning the development, security, and operations.

Just comes down to what % of funds do you want to allocate for the launcher v. other priorities, like game ops, dev, team scale, etc.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    Yeah too true. I'm not sure when the 1 mil mark hits. Not sure if the first mil after launch is free or if we've already passed the free 1 mil mark with packages and cosmetics.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Warth wrote: »
    I don't think Narc would even make the top 20-50 of content creators and streamers interested in the game.
    Purely based on reach / followers/subs

have faith!
  • when does this game come out?
  • MrDreamers wrote: »
    when does this game come out?

Definitely before 2030.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • If having too many launchers is an issue, you can add another launcher on top of them.
    No, wait, hear me out :D
    I use playnite. GoG Galaxy does the same, looks better but is less modular. Also, Playnite is open source.
    Basically, when you start a game, it starts the required launcher and the game on the fly. When you close the game, it closes the launcher.
    On the left bar, you can add various .exe, like your launchers if you need to check on them separately, reWASD, Borderless Gaming, and so on.
    One launcher to rule them all B)
    rfws54h1pqtm.png
    If I had to keep only one song, it would be this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCF2pson54s
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nikbis wrote: »
    If having too many launchers is an issue, you can add another launcher on top of them.
    No, wait, hear me out :D
    I use playnite. GoG Galaxy does the same, looks better but is less modular. Also, Playnite is open source.
    Basically, when you start a game, it starts the required launcher and the game on the fly. When you close the game, it closes the launcher.
    On the left bar, you can add various .exe, like your launchers if you need to check on them separately, reWASD, Borderless Gaming, and so on.
    One launcher to rule them all B)
    rfws54h1pqtm.png

No hen tie with senpai KFC dating simulator in library. :'( sadge. 762cl8ij79xx.gif
    The world is beautiful whenever you're here. And all the emptiness inside disappears.
    xrds4ytk7z7j.gif