Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Teleports to few locations

Hello,

Please make some types of teleportation, because i know that exploring is fun, but imagine you need to walk 15 minutes somewhere, where you been before million times, at least make some types of towers or mage teleportation spells to make traveling little bit faster, i dont wanna to have teleport everywhere, but few locations will be fine.

Do this thread exists? What do you think people. I think its QoL

Comments

• Options
    Science metro <-> Science metro
    Family summons
  • Options
    Voxtrium wrote: »
    Science metro <-> Science metro
    Family summons

sorry, do i need some special kind of translation for that kind of message? I dont get anything you said, sorry :smiley:. can you elaborate please?
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Scientific nodes which have reached the maximum stage of advancement allow fast transportation between themselves and (I think) their vassal nodes.

Players can be in a small 'family' and family members can be summoned to the same spot, though there might be restrictions we do not yet know.

So, there is already a small amount of fast transport available. But I think it is a key part of the game NOT to have fast transport. This is to prevent zergs and require pre-planning on the part of the players, and also to be Different from other games.
  • Options
    This game has travel time as an integral balance mechanic. It's supposed to be inconvenient. That is the point. You will have to walk back to that town you've been to a million times. That's how it is meant to be in this game.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Your first mistake is thinking it will only take 15 minutes of walking to get places. It will take way, way longer than that if you want to go further than a few nodes away.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Oh great, didn't see that piece of info anywhere! At least we have some types of "teleports" confirmed.

I know what its about, but i can see, for me the most annoying parts of the MMOS are walking to same spot multiple times for long time, i like to explore, i like to take a walk, take a look on cliffs and so on, but if i want to focus lets say on gathering, and my spot is 30 minutes away, i don't wanna simply walk 30 minutes to this spot.

But its good that they have plan for the family teleports and Metros ... that is good!

Thank you all for responses!
  • Options
    SinedkoSinedko Member
    edited August 2022
    Talents wrote: »
    Your first mistake is thinking it will only take 15 minutes of walking to get places. It will take way, way longer than that if you want to go further than a few nodes away.

That is exactly i fear of, i know lot of people that simply don't wanna walk that far distance to start doing stuff that they want to do it, some walking is OK, but if there is alot, i dont know.

In theory its look okay, but lot of people get bored (i think), with lot of walking to the same place. Not sure maybe I'm wrong.

Of course i dont wanna to have ability to teleport everywhere, but few places in nodes will be great
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You will also be able to tame/raise/purchase various mounts. That ought to cut your travel time considerably.
  • Options
    Sinedko wrote: »

That is exactly i fear of, i know lot of people that simply don't wanna walk that far distance to start doing stuff that they want to do it, some walking is OK, but if there is alot, i dont know.

In theory its look okay, but lot of people get bored (i think), with lot of walking to the same place. Not sure maybe I'm wrong.

Of course i dont wanna to have ability to teleport everywhere, but few places in nodes will be great

So, let me ask you this; If you don't want to do it, and a lot of people don't want to do it...doesn't that make it more valuable to be done? If it takes actual travel time to get there, actual travel time to get back, those resources have higher value. This is a buff to the value and usefulness of gatherers/crafters in an MMO.

There are far too many "Convenience" QoL inclusions in modern games that completely trivialize a MASSIVE portion of the in-game economy. This type of system puts that power back in the hands of the player. Not every dumb dumb with a shovel will be willing to travel and search for cool or unique gatherables. But those who do will be invaluable to the economy.
  • Options
    SilverPact wrote: »

So, let me ask you this; If you don't want to do it, and a lot of people don't want to do it...doesn't that make it more valuable to be done? If it takes actual travel time to get there, actual travel time to get back, those resources have higher value. This is a buff to the value and usefulness of gatherers/crafters in an MMO.

There are far too many "Convenience" QoL inclusions in modern games that completely trivialize a MASSIVE portion of the in-game economy. This type of system puts that power back in the hands of the player. Not every dumb dumb with a shovel will be willing to travel and search for cool or unique gatherables. But those who do will be invaluable to the economy.

You are right, then materials will be more precious, because in lot of MMOS, materials worth basically nothing, will see, i just don't want to be overwhelmed by walking, when i want to gain levels or something, will see, i was little bit scared there will be no transportation at all, but there will be!
  • Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    From my understanding, fast travel and teleports will be extremely limited.

One of the core principles behind AoC is dependance on difficulty transporting goods across the world map and encouraging conflict between people with different interests to develop some areas instead of others. I think easy access to fast travel and teleports would be detrimental to achieving this.

Even if there was a teleport system that didn't allow you to carry anything with you, it still means large groups could organize for events that they wouldn't have been able to. It reduces the weight of their decisions of where they decide to invest their time.

I'm not saying I dislike fast travel, but I think AoC is aiming for a different experience. Generally, in more traditional RPGs, fast travel was extremely limited and usually in the form of a consumable item you'd need to purchase from NPCs. I think relatively easy access to teleport directly into content where ever it is, is a very modern introduction.
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    The scarcity of fast travel is intentional.

Fast travel (teleport) is rare and limited to Family summons and back and forth between a Scientific Metropolis and its vassal nodes if you're a citizen of either. Faster travel is also limited to an airship between Scientific Metropolises, if you're a citizen of either nodes.

Respectfully, I hope that Intrepid doesn't cater to people who want Ashes to be like every other game. I want distances to matter, regardless if I've travelled along the same road a hundred times.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    PherPhurPherPhur Member
    edited August 2022
    There is always this argument between grinding and being given things without effort, about which is a better way to sway the game. This is an irrelevant argument about game design. It doesn't matter if someone is given something or made to grind for it, a change matters if it gives a potential for interesting engagement with the world and/or other players. Design is done for systems to play off other systems of the game, hopefully in a way that's fun.

If you have built the world correctly then there should be entire systems of the game designed around traveling.

The need for teleportation means you haven't made the world cohesive and you had to break it into physical segments to be enjoyed.

The reason AoC has teleportation in it(as far as the scientific nodes go) is just because it's cool,
    but only a very tiny amount or it'd ruin a lot of other things.qj2dc08d135q.jpg

The family summons however... I think most of us agree are just a cop-out to appeal towards people like yourself(OP), who will complain that they don't have time to walk to their friends, of course at the expense of the integrity of the game. Even that should be fun, getting things ready, talking about a meetup location and what you're going to do/what you should bring, then traveling and building the anticipation of joining your mates while you soak in AoCs surroundings and prime your mind to get immersed in the game.

At the very least family summons should have a 12 hour cooldown. As it stands right now at 30 minutes there's no reason I can't just summon in the bois wherever I want and gank a small group of players say, at the spot I wish to farm at. You could even do it with a 12 hour cooldown but at least then you are much more likely to use it for it's intended purpose.

5lntw0unofqp.gif
  • Options
    Fast travel/teleport is convenient... but... it does come at a cost.
    The Cost
    1. You'll see less players as you player, because you and they will be fast traveling.
    2. Everyone will miss out on the amazing world being built.
    3. Kind of makes the risk of gathering and traveling pointless.
    The Convenience
    1. You'll get to end game faster and be finished playing sooner... wait that should be up top...

I hope even the fast travel in the science nodes is limited to that nodes area of influence. Going from one sci node to another is a bad design. Because so much is designed around trade and resources in specific areas, and reasons.

Summoning "family" or "guildies" is just as bad. Allowing people to just teleport around the map when there's danger in just traveling is an obvious unfair advantage, but mostly ends up skipping a fairly large part of what the game design is about.

Summoning/Fast Travel/Teleports, they're the step before LFG/LFR windows that teleport you to the dungeon, And once you're there you're basically playing a lobby style game, grinding dungeons/raids for bis in anticipation for the next dungeons/raids. Which is fun in it's own right, but not what Ashes is trying to be. ...I hope.

If you played NW then you know the teleport system there was pretty interesting. You had to spend some blue shit to teleport to a blue shit shrine that you've already been too. Oh yeah couldn't you buy that blue shit in the cash shop? I'd have traded the fast travel in NW for a horse any day of the week. Actually having to gather your guild/boys/girls/bros/fam/elves/dwarves/gnomes to pvp or attack an area is part of the fun, you have to find like minded players that want to engage in that content, and the content has to give a reward to make it worth it. Not having fast travel does limit some players for engage in this content, because they're too busy in RL though. But as we all know mmorpgs are games that require a lot of time.

Catering to the causal lot generally leads to the masses clearing the content faster then the devs can release it. Then the population takes a dip until content release, then two weeks later, a pop dip, rinse repeat. Keeping the game fun and challenging will be challenging for the devs so I hope they have fun doing it :smirk:
  • Options

Have no fear, I'll happily sell you a nice speedy mount at a price you'll find hard to resist! ;)
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ahhh, the "just the tip, honest" argument. Always ends badly.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Ahhh, the "just the tip, honest" argument. Always ends badly.

I'm sure I've seen a few online documentaries about that...
  • Options
    The way the game is designed, there shouldn't be an inherent need for you to do long distance travelling so frequently, at least for the average player. The game will have denser population focused on staying in and around a particular node, so you would only really travel far away for curiosity, trade, friends (though most of yours I imagine would be near) - or perhaps to move home.

It's hard to say the game *needs* it without actually playing it though. With all of its intertwining elements.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'd honestly be much happier if they removed any fast travel teleportation.

But they've got the family summons in the game so I'll have to live with it. Hopefully during testing the cooldown is reworked.
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    Natasha wrote: »

But they've got the family summons in the game so I'll have to live with it. Hopefully during testing the cooldown is reworked.

Hopefully during testing they remove it completely. It's our job to abuse the hell out of it until they trash it.
  • Options
    @daveywavey
    just
    1. summon 16-64 people whenever people (preferably Steven or Intrepid employees) want to do a caravan, a boss or something else, murder them)
    2. record it all
    3. call the video "no zergs LOL", "family summon LMAO" or "No Fast Travel ;)""
    4. upload it to the forum
    5. repeat till everybody realizes that family summon in its current iteration is a shit idea
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    @daveywavey
    just
    1. summon 16-64 people whenever people (preferably Steven or Intrepid employees) want to do a caravan, a boss or something else, murder them)
    2. record it all
    3. call the video "no zergs LOL", "family summon LMAO" or "No Fast Travel ;)""
    4. upload it to the forum
    5. repeat till everybody realizes that family summon in its current iteration is a shit idea

Lather, Rinse, Repeat. Because I'm Warth It.
  • Options
    SinedkoSinedko Member
    edited August 2022
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Natasha wrote: »

Hopefully during testing they remove it completely. It's our job to abuse the hell out of it until they trash it.

Im not sure man, you think you want it, then i will ask you again after year of gameplay, some kind of teleportation is ok. Without any teleportation, it will be a struggle

Lot of games had a "hardcore" walking simulator, then every game changed that, because it was not good, surely, Im not telling we should be able to teleport everywhere, but if someone want to play game, they dont want to spent half of gameplay only by walking
  • Options
    The lack of fast travel is one of the things I hate about AOC and hope they change their stance on it. For decades I've played games with transportation scrolls, portals, wayshrines, etc to get you from point A to B without having to waste lots of time riding your mount. Some games limit your travel to a one way fast travel if you gather any materials which can't teleport with you but it still cuts travel in half. It's not something that I want to do away with completely or greatly limit.

Most people don't want to be stuck in traffic on the way home or have to park so far away it takes you 10 mins to walk to your designation. We'll be hearing, I don't want to go that far, please pick something closer. Speaking for myself, it will greatly limit my activities.
  • Options
    DrPlague wrote: »
    The lack of fast travel is one of the things I hate about AOC and hope they change their stance on it. For decades I've played games with transportation scrolls, portals, wayshrines, etc to get you from point A to B without having to waste lots of time riding your mount. Some games limit your travel to a one way fast travel if you gather any materials which can't teleport with you but it still cuts travel in half. It's not something that I want to do away with completely or greatly limit.

Most people don't want to be stuck in traffic on the way home or have to park so far away it takes you 10 mins to walk to your designation. We'll be hearing, I don't want to go that far, please pick something closer. Speaking for myself, it will greatly limit my activities.

exactly this! im with you on this
  • Options
    Well apparently it takes only 50 minutes on a mount to cross an entire continent. I'd say fast travel is entirely unnecessary, you'll be crossing nodes in 5 minutes each basically.

The world, though large, may end up feeling pretty small in the end. Teleportation will just make it feel even smaller.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    Well apparently it takes only 50 minutes on a mount to cross an entire continent. I'd say fast travel is entirely unnecessary, you'll be crossing nodes in 5 minutes each basically.

The world, though large, may end up feeling pretty small in the end. Teleportation will just make it feel even smaller.

I think anyway 50 minutes to cross whole map is enough, it may seems a little, but in game it feels different, i get bored after i walk only 5 minutes sooo, for me its ok, fast travel is still good, to different cities in another side of map, e.g. use case is you will create some race and your friend another race, you start in different nodes and wanna play together, then you want to fast travel not to walk 30 minutes till you two met.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022

I think anyway 50 minutes to cross whole map is enough, it may seems a little, but in game it feels different, i get bored after i walk only 5 minutes sooo, for me its ok, fast travel is still good, to different cities in another side of map, e.g. use case is you will create some race and your friend another race, you start in different nodes and wanna play together, then you want to fast travel not to walk 30 minutes till you two met.
    The Wiki wrote:
    Players may choose their starting gateway regardless of their choice of race.[4][5]
    (ref: Starting Areas)

Not to mention that even if it was true, you'd still only have to do it once.
  • Options
    SongRune wrote: »

The Wiki wrote:
    Players may choose their starting gateway regardless of their choice of race.[4][5]
    (ref: Starting Areas)

Not to mention that even if it was true, you'd still only have to do it once.

Thanks again, i think i need to find a time to explore whole wiki and forums, im just a novice now.
  • Options

Your attention deficit should not be a reason to shrink the world for everyone else though. I already don't like the idea of having that many cities or towns so close to each other too, if I can teleport to each one, then what's the point of even spacing them out?
    Sig-ult-2.png