Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Class/Archetype Character Progression

So I know you start out as your primary archetype, and at level 25 you select your secondary archetype creating your "Class". I know you can then augment your abilities through your secondary archetype, as well as race and other sources.

But other than secondary archetype choice and augments, has there been any other ways the devs have said that you will be able to grow/change your class? Feats, Talent Trees, Alternate Advancement Points, etc?

I am just wondering if every Spellsword, Shaman, (insert Class here) will be roughly identical as the next, or if the augment system is grand enough to accommodate different play styles inside the same class?

Comments

• Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hard to say the moment but for starters, your class and race won't be the only source of augments. We have heard of high level religious figures getting their own augments as well as unique ones being able to be found in the world.

You have skill points you use to buy passives, skills, skill upgrades, and augments so there should at least be some variance between classes there.

Weapons have there own progression tree that you will also spend points in (to my knowledge) so there is more variance there on what you build your character around.

Gear is supposed to be extremely customizable. Crafters will be able to adjust stats, passive, and set abilities on the items which will hopefully give you even more options on how you build your character.

That said, all this needs to be balanced for the variety of class builds to be viable and that is a lot easier said then done.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Weapon choice.
    Passive Skill points.
    Racial augments.
    Racial progression.
    Social Org augments.
    Religion augments.
    Node Type augments.
    Cosmetics that change the appearance of skills...

Spellswords can be very different in a variety of ways.
  • Options
    Ah I will look into Passive Skill points! I knew about most of those augments.

Is there a link to the info on cosmetics that change the appearance of skills?
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Bullvinne wrote: »
    Ah I will look into Passive Skill points! I knew about most of those augments.

Is there a link to the info on cosmetics that change the appearance of skills?

Augments should do that.

As for cosmetics that do, i believe we have only had one that was given to kickstarter backers as a stretch goal.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am just wondering if every Spellsword, Shaman, (insert Class here) will be roughly identical as the next, or if the augment system is grand enough to accommodate different play styles inside the same class?

All augment considerations aside, you will not be able to unlock (or certainly max out) all of the skills of your class. Builds will differ within your primary archetype even at lv24, before you unlock your secondary.

Back to augment considerations: Augments will also come from your race, or social organizations you choose to join. A Church (or whatever) aligned Nikuan Spellsword will be different from a Thieves Guild Empyrian Spellsword, even if they chose all the same Class skills.

That's the hope, anyway.
  • Options
    We don't know the answer to that yet, @Bullvinne, as the classes/archetypes are still in development.

Steven is giving us conservative answers right now ... meaning the secondary augment will only add "flavor" to the player's primary archetype.

On the other hand, Intrepid has under-promised and over-delivered on other aspects of the game. Like the environmental and climate changes for each biome (including deserts) based on the seasons.

In the meantime, check out the Classes page from the wiki: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes
  • Options
    No word on feats or alternate advancement points.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Skills

You have: primary skills, weapon specific skills, passive skills etc.

The primary skills are you basic Archetype skills. Those will later be augmented by a skill tree from your secondary archetype.
    Example: one of your skills can now be augmented to deal elemental damage. You get to choose the element and further spec into its effects.

Weapon skills:
    Players can spec into weapon abilities on their weapon skill tree (also referred to as Combat skills, and Combat tree) based on their preferred weapon classes (weapon types/weapon groups) and the grade of the weapon.
    The examples that Steven used a few times are:

Let's say a dagger has some slashing effects that bleed the target or that cripple the target... Every time you attack you have a chance to proc that effect. That effect then can synergize with what your active skills tree has available to it. So let's say your backstab deals 30 additional damage to a bleeding target. If you attack with your main weapon first and the target gets the bleed proc off and you do your backstab skill then you're synergizing your effects. – Steven Sharif

Let's say backstab that you can apply to deals damage to the target and it'll have a conditional modifier on that damage if you're behind the target, and it'll have a conditional modifier deal additional 50 damage if the target is under a bleed effect. So you want to synergize essentially your weapon proc conditions with your active skills so that you're timing your certain active skills appropriately with the status conditions that the target has taken. – Steven Sharif

Weapon progression such as set bonuses may change at what level any proc effects occur. These procs may reduce or reset cooldowns on other skills on the player's hotbar. Using a weapon skill will in general reset the weapon use combo system.

Passive skills are used to augment weapon usage, armor usage, health regeneration, and passive stats.[2]

Passive skills can be levelled up by allocating skill points on the skills UI. Passive skills enable players to work toward mastery of a weapon.

All these passive abilities: mana regen, attack damage, critical hit damage, health regeneration, defense mitigation, maximum health: A lot of different changes from the passive side of things and these are based on what archetype you've chosen.– Steven Sharif

Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    We don't know the answer to that yet, @Bullvinne, as the classes/archetypes are still in development.

Steven is giving us conservative answers right now ... meaning the secondary augment will only add "flavor" to the player's primary archetype.

On the other hand, Intrepid has under-promised and over-delivered on other aspects of the game. Like the environmental and climate changes for each biome (including deserts) based on the seasons.

In the meantime, check out the Classes page from the wiki: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes

Oh I have been camping on that page lol. I want more substantial class information so baaaaad lol
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    Steven has already given an example of the Cleric as a primary or secondary archetype, they have (at least) two "trees": Life and Death. So I would imagine that every archetype has at least two trees they can dive into, maybe more, and hopefully not mutually exclusive.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    Steven has already given an example of the Cleric as a primary or secondary archetype, they have (at least) two "trees": Life and Death. So I would imagine that every archetype has at least two trees they can dive into, maybe more, and hopefully not mutually exclusive.

Do you have a link to the article or video that is in by chance? That is cool if so.
  • Options
    Each Archetype has 4 augment Schools.
  • Options
    Mage augments have 4 different elemental schools, I wonder if the other class augments also have these types of different branches.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    They do. Yes.
  • Options
    So in that regard every Spellsword will be a different Spellsword as well.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    Dummo wrote: »

Add to it, the weapon skills and mastery of different weapons for each Spellsword, and you have further variety.

As a potential Spellsword myself, my currently projected main weapon will be.... drum roll please..... look at my signature *wink wink*..... A SPEAR!

And then maybe you choose a sword. And Dygz (who will be playing in this hypothetical scenario) uses a mace. And that guy over there? An ax. etc.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    So I know you start out as your primary archetype, and at level 25 you select your secondary archetype creating your "Class". I know you can then augment your abilities through your secondary archetype, as well as race and other sources.

But other than secondary archetype choice and augments, has there been any other ways the devs have said that you will be able to grow/change your class? Feats, Talent Trees, Alternate Advancement Points, etc?

Some of the Q&A or dev discussions Steven had pretty much said that with the augments and skill tree that even in every class there could be variations on gameplay. So yeah each spellsword could play different from the next.
  • Options
    reading this just makes me buzz with wanting more info on classes lol
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2022
    I am afraid that weapons will just be stat modifiers with unique normal (auto/light) attack animations and that classes will conjure a yellow hammer or a yellow javelin or a yellow whip in order to attack.
    Why? Because these abilities are one animation, no matter what weapon you hold. Same thing with the spinning attack we saw. Equiping daggers or a greatsword (or a spear) wont change the attack animation. The weapons will be attacked to the arms of the character and the body will perform the same movement.

The same can be observed with ESO.
    Templars conjured a spear of light
    Nightblades conjured a shadowy dagger
    Dragonknights conjured a flaming whip
    Necromancers conjured a deathly scythe etc etc etc.
    The weapons would dissapear, allowing the universal conjured attack animation to be displayed, without the need to show a different motion for different weapons (meaning different combat styles [in terms of gaming: playstyles]).

Eso however provided active abilities tied to weapons. So if you had a greatsword, slotted the greatsword abilities, you could see a difference in a playstyle.

(Due to terrible meta designs in eso everybody felt the same, but it is irrelevant to this topic. I just needed to state it here.)

In AoC we have been told that there wont be active abilities tied to weapons. One reason may be the difficulty of creating so many animations.
    We have also been told that all archetypes can equip any gear.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I will write more later... my whole text dissapeared and I cant be bother writting it again...
  • Options
    Dummo wrote: »
    Can be, if they choose to be. Yes.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Active Skills are not tied to the weapons and every Primary Archetype has a conjured weapon Active Skill, like Javelin, Castigation and "Hammer Strike".
    In addition to "Hammer Strike", Fighter also has Active Skills like Rush and probably the spin.
    In addition to stat buffs, weapons also have Weapon Skills unique to each weapon.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    In AoC we have been told that there wont be active abilities tied to weapons. One reason may be the difficulty of creating so many animations.
    We have also been told that all archetypes can equip any gear.
    In A1, we had abilities tied to weapons and shields(though they might have removed this restriction). This kind of stuff gets easier every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZkkVKZ64Ns

After re-reading what i quoted, i realize what i quoted isn't as relevant to my response as other stuff you mentioned. You are right that they don't want restrictions on what attacks a weapon can do but weapons will still be part of the animations, at least from what we have seen.
  • Options
    Savic wrote: »
    reading this just makes me buzz with wanting more info on classes lol

Me too
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    You are right that they don't want restrictions on what attacks a weapon can do but that doesn't mean they won't have ability animations that don't use the weapon.

For these 2 are very bad.
  • Options
    You are right that they don't want restrictions on what attacks a weapon can do but that doesn't mean they won't have ability animations that don't use the weapon.

For this is a very bad thing.

Can't tell if you are making fun of my triple negative or have a reason for not liking ability that use weapons in the animations?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I think I read smthg wrong.
    For me, abilities that dont have slightly different animations to accomodate the different weapons/arm stances, is a sign of bad design or bad prioritazation of development focus areas.
  • Options
    I think all of those in the video are Active Skills; not Weapon Skills.
  • Options
    To be clear, so far weapon skills in AoC are just passive abilities that may trigger due to conditions AND stat modifications.
    Nothing active.
  • Options
    To be clear, so far weapon skills in AoC are just passive abilities that may trigger due to conditions AND stat modifications.
    Nothing active.

While this is true when it comes to weapon progression, classes that focus on melee have skills that use their melee weapons, just like how ranger is going to have skills that use bows.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    How would a spear fighter/fighter be different to a dualsword fighter/fighter, and how would these two be different to a greatsword fighter/fighter?

A different playstyle is expected to be visually recognizable. Different values on the character stat tab isnt good enough for a videogame.

There is no real difference between a fighter/fighter using the showcased tornade spin ability with daggers and one using a greatsword.
    If, for example, the only difference is that if equiped with daggers you have a chance to inflict bleed and if equiped with a greatsword you bypass 3% of the targets armor, people will be dissapointed.