Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Class/Archetype Character Progression

2»

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    Spears have different attacks than a Greatsword. Just as Daggers have different attacks than a Greatsword.
    Neither the Spear nor the Dagger will be leaving those cleave marks in the ground.
    Spears won’t be doing the Dagger slashes.

You can’t tell the difference between the Weapon attacks and the Active Skills in the Alpha Two Basic Melee Weapon Attacks demo??
    Expect to see more Weapon Combos in future demos.
    These are just the basic combos - not the advanced combos.
    Hence, the title of the demo.

https://youtu.be/t3LydR8VssY
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    How would a spear fighter/fighter be different to a dualsword fighter/fighter, and how would these two be different to a greatsword fighter/fighter?

A different playstyle is expected to be visually recognizable. Different values on the character stat tab isnt good enough for a videogame.

There is no real difference between a fighter/fighter using the showcased tornade spin ability with daggers and one using a greatsword.
    If, for example, the only difference is that if equiped with daggers you have a chance to inflict bleed and if equiped with a greatsword you bypass 3% of the targets armor, people will be dissapointed.

I'm with you on wanting different animations for these different weapons. My reason for talking against you is you mentioned ESO's method of handling this problem by not including the weapons in the class ability
    animations at all. I'd rather the awkwardness of some weapons share animations in the beginning as they build the game than them avoid weapon animations entirely.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2022
    I am afraid that weapons will just be stat modifiers with unique normal (auto/light) attack animations and that classes....

@Dygz When I wrote the above, where exactly did you get confused? Why are you linking me known material and known facts? Why are you always stating the obvious, even in cases like this, in which people already make a mention of the features in the shown videos?

"Daggers and spears wont leave ground marks"

ffs what does that have to do with anything regarding distinct gameplay. Is this your idea of distinct gameplay? The decals? You are always so irrelevant. Posting things that are not needed.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    The world is not all about you.
    You are not the only person who reads my posts...even when I am replying to your posts.

I have no clue what you mean by "distinct gameplay".
    The video discusses more of the differences between the weapon combos of the Greatsword and the weapon combos of the Dagger than just ground decals.

What other kinds of "distinct gameplay" are you hoping to see from basic weapon combos? How would you like a Spear combos to be more distinct from Greatsword combos? I think it's possible for you to give some examples of what you hope to see, rather than just QQing about what you don't want.
  • Options
    I wasn't talking about normal attacks now was I? You brought in normal attacks, the most basic form of combat into a discussion about how to achieve a sense of diversity between playstyles. As if that's a worthy benchmark.
    Why would link the video? How is it relevant?
    Stop talking about combos. These are the left click/Q key normal attacks. They aren't combos. They aren't abilities.
    Why do people need to explain these things to you?
  • Options
    Have none of you watched the Combat update from the July livestream?

Clearly the way a dagger and greatsword function are quite different. They have different attack patterns, speeds and impact on your mobility.

Your Archetype skills don't change by weapon. Your augments change those Archetype skills in some ways.

You can spec into certain things per type of weapon. Daggers may be better at applying DoTs (bleed, slow etc). Spears will have different progressions etc.

So there's plenty of differences to be had in gameplay for each. I'm failing to see where the sudden fear that all weapons will be the same comes from all of a sudden.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Clearly to you passive stats are a playstyle. I prefer active abilities. And Im sure most people wont be happy if the differences in playstyle are not visual.
    Ive said all these things alrdy. Now we go in circles.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    What are "normal attacks"?
    I brought up basic Weapon attacks because that's what we've seen in the demo so far.

You wrote: "I am afraid that weapons will just be stat modifiers with unique normal (auto/light) attack animations and that classes will conjure a yellow hammer or a yellow javelin or a yellow whip in order to attack.
    Why? Because these abilities are one animation, no matter what weapon you hold. "

Expect Weapons to have basic attack combos and advanced attack combos.
    What are some examples of an "active" weapon ability you would like to see that makes wielding a Spear signifcantly different from wielding Daggers?
    You don't have to explain what you do want to see.
    You can continue to just QQ about what you're afraid of if you wish.
    No skin off my nose.
  • Options
    You only bring up stuff that we have all seen, even if they have nothing to do with the topic.
  • Options
    I'm asking you to provide examples of what you would like to see since you are the one QQing about what you don't want to see.
  • Options
    Ill do it another time.
  • Options
    Bullvinne wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the article or video that is in by chance? That is cool if so.

I'm sure it's from one of his early interviews, like 2018 or 2019, and I believe Steven's background was the old office, not his house. Don't really know which one specifically, I apologize.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited August 2022
    @George_Black Go read the wiki until then. You have all the answers there

Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Lets keep it civil everyone, no need to start a war on this thread.

Back on topic, I think that each archetype wont have "Trees" like Life/Death for the cleric after reading the Wiki. I think the Primary Skills for the Cleric might have Life or Death skills to choose from, but it seems you will be able to spec into multiple abilities and "Go wide" or spec into few ability's but make them more potent and "Go deeper"

This seems to be a pretty cool idea. I can see one mage maybe going more "Jack of all trades" and have an ability for each situation, while another mage might only have 3-4 abilities, but able to decimate with those more "improved" abilities.

I do think after reading the wiki, the combination of Augments, Passive Skills, Primary Skills, and Weapon Skills most will likely be able to craft a really unique character.
  • Options
    Um. Every Secondary Archetype has 4 Schools of augments.
    The two Schools that have been revealed for Ceric are Life and Death.
    The two Schools that have been revealed for Mage are Elemental and Teleportation.

Those Schools reflect the Primary Archetype Active Skills.
    Yes. We can choose the Active Skills we wish and each Active Skill has a least 3 Ranks, but... it's not the same thing as placing points into a Death path or a Life path.
    At least, not for Primary Archetypes.