Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Forced PvP Zones Will Be Amazing!

I am beyond excited for there to be zones like the open water that will be forcing players into PvP. I've been playing MMO's for ever and some of the most memorable and best moments have been in zones like these (Runescape Wilderness for example). I also love the idea of finding ways to mix the PvE Community and the PvP Community together. It can always create such fun chaos between the 2 player types!

What does everyone else think about this? :smiley:

Comments

• @Dygz i summon thee
  • CawwCaww Member
    pretty sure all zones are PvX so that PvP action can be had anywhere for willing participants
  • @Caww In the most recent Dev update did they not say that Open Waters was going to be forced PvP? Or am i tripping. lol
  • JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Caww In the most recent Dev update did they not say that Open Waters was going to be forced PvP? Or am i tripping. lol

They have a personal definition of PvX don't mind them. What they are trying to say is that there is PvE content in the zone for you to do while you are hunting in the forced PvP zone.
    🔦🔱⚔️Selling pro pain and pro pain accessories. ⚔️🔱🔦
  • JustVine wrote: »
    @Caww In the most recent Dev update did they not say that Open Waters was going to be forced PvP? Or am i tripping. lol

They have a personal definition of PvX don't mind them. What they are trying to say is that there is PvE content in the zone for you to do while you are hunting in the forced PvP zone.

I see i see! Yeah that makes sense. Either way i think these things are going to be really cool for the game :) im huge into PvP on New World. So im very excited to see these things!
  • I'm pretty sure that Ashes has forced PvP everywhere. When you login to the game, you consent to PvP, regardless if you'll fight back or not.

The only difference between the open sea and the rest of the world is the lack of punishment/corruption/risk for the aggressors.

Cheers
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • BaSkA13 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that Ashes has forced PvP everywhere. When you login to the game, you consent to PvP, regardless if you'll fight back or not.

The only difference between the open sea and the rest of the world is the lack of punishment/corruption/risk for the aggressors.

Cheers

I see! Thanks for the clarification!
    JustVine wrote: »

I see i see! Yeah that makes sense. Either way i think these things are going to be really cool for the game :) im huge into PvP on New World. So im very excited to see these things!

Could you talk more about things you liked about the wilderness relative to open PvP zones and maybe some of the flaws you hope Ashes avoids? It's rare that we get someone who is an open Runescape PvPer around here.
  • BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022

Answers to most of the questions you might have are probably answered in the wiki, definitely recommend taking a look, way more trustworthy than myself 😅
    It's rare that we get someone who is an open Runescape PvPer around here.

Oy, I used to be one. Even played the original DMM for a few months 🥰
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I also think it will be amazing for players who enjoy that PvP ruleset.
    It happens to skew the server too close to a PvP server for me to be willing to play on that server - and since Ashes only has one server ruleset for all servers - that means I won't be playing Ashes after the testing phases.

Of course, when I play New World, I have PvP turned off.
    BaSkA13 wrote: »

Answers to most of the questions you might have are probably answered in the wiki, definitely recommend taking a look, way more trustworthy than myself 😅
    It's rare that we get someone who is an open Runescape PvPer around here.

Oy, I used to be one. Even played the original DMM for a few months 🥰

Im glad your finally opening up about your troubled past mate /s lol. Good to know.
  • JustVine wrote: »

Could you talk more about things you liked about the wilderness relative to open PvP zones and maybe some of the flaws you hope Ashes avoids? It's rare that we get someone who is an open Runescape PvPer around here.

Of course! I really enjoyed the Wilderness part of Runescape because it provided this very "Dangerously Mysterious" vibe to the zone. You know there could be high level players there, but you also had the thought of "Well maybe i could get a kill..." and getting someones Gear/Resources always felt so good. Also when you have things like Clue Scrolls in the game that FORCE you to go there. It creates that PVE and PVP part of the playerbase to collide. I think thats awesome.

However Runescape now is suffering from the late game of some of the problems. We are seeing the PVP players wanting to not fight each other, but just prey on the PVE players who are just simply trying to do PVE stuff. So balancing that is still an issue even in games that have been doing it for awhile!
  • Dygz wrote: »
    It happens to skew the server too close to a PvP server for me to be willing to play on that server - and since Ashes only has one server ruleset for all servers - that means I won't be playing Ashes after the testing phases.

I love New World, but it doesnt provide much reward for even having PVP on imo.
  • NaughtyBruteNaughtyBrute Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I also like the change, but saying that:
    I also love the idea of finding ways to mix the PvE Community and the PvP Community together.

I think is a bit of a stretch.

Before this change, there was a chance to find some pure PvEers venturing in the open sea for exploration or content.. After the change, they won't even think about it.

It is probably more likely to have the opposite effect from what you expect by further separating the 2 communities.
    edited August 2022
    Yeah, I'm a carebear.
    I don't have a mindset where getting another player's Gear/Resources feels good. Successfully defending a Caravan or Siege would make me feel good.
  • I also like the change, but saying that:
    I also love the idea of finding ways to mix the PvE Community and the PvP Community together.

Before this change, there was a chance to find some pure PvEers venturing in the open sea for exploration or content.. After the change, they won't even think about it.

It is probably more likely to have the opposite effect from what you expect by further separating the 2 communities.

I can see that for sure. I guess i just dream of an MMO that can actually make both sides do things together that dont end up in seperation! lol
  • NaughtyBruteNaughtyBrute Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2022

I can see that for sure. I guess i just dream of an MMO that can actually make both sides do things together that dont end up in seperation! lol

That's a nice dream to have and hopefully Intrepid can make it happen :)
  • AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    - and since Ashes only has one server ruleset for all servers - that means I won't be playing Ashes after the testing phases.

The "I WILL NOT PLAY" message is already morphing.
    Yeah, I'm a carebear.
    I don't have a mindset where getting another player's Gear/Resources feels good. Successfully defending a Caravan or Siege would make me feel good.

Hah nothing wrong with that either. Sounds like Ashes will need players of all kinds! hah
    Yep. PvPers have that dream.
    I don't see how it can work, but...
    If it does work out for Ashes to Steven's satisfaction... that's truly awesome.

Well if the game succeeds at it's design goals you could see that on land at least.
  • BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited August 2022
    Im glad your finally opening up about your troubled past mate /s lol. Good to know.

We've all had our dark times...
    Yep. PvPers have that dream.
    I don't see how it can work, but...
    If it does work out for Ashes to Steven's satisfaction... that's truly awesome.

In Steven we trust. lmao

I love New World, but it doesnt provide much reward for even having PVP on imo.

dont worry the pvp doesnt even feel rewarding either, that whole game feel unrewarding no matter what you do :p
  • It was cool getting some pvp drops from people when you started the game I'm not going to lie lmao. Reminded me how much i miss that feeling of looting a player you just killed.
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    It was cool getting some pvp drops from people when you started the game I'm not going to lie lmao. Reminded me how much i miss that feeling of looting a player you just killed.

Sorry but I gotta call you out on that one. New World has zero loot on death in open world PvP. What game are you talking about?
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    It was cool getting some pvp drops from people when you started the game I'm not going to lie lmao. Reminded me how much i miss that feeling of looting a player you just killed.

Sorry but I gotta call you out on that one. New World has zero loot on death in open world PvP. What game are you talking about?

When you kill a player they drop loot on the ground (it is a chance), you must have not done that much open world PvP. You are kind of calling yourself out right now lmao
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    BaSkA13 wrote: »

You don't get the player's items but there is a chance of the player dropping items like a mob if i'm remembering right.

In developement (alpha/beta) it was originally a full loot pvp game if i remember correctly. The outcry was so loud thst amazon flipped their stance on pvp to what you see now

You don't get the player's items but there is a chance of the player dropping items like a mob if i'm remembering right.

correct