Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Discussion: "Auction House" Do we REALLY need one?

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    How is that relevant to players creating an unofficial AH?
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    look ill put it simple. If not having AHs causes this game and its players to create 3rd party addons and websites that are annoying to engage with just to sell to other players like Path of Exile, I would much rather have the issue of AHs being a thing.

How is anything you say relevant to this, bot?
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Never mind. Given your reactions to me, I feel as though it is best if this explanation comes from someone else. The fact that you do not understand it has now been clarified such that any person with the knowledge can attempt to explain it to you.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    I'm fairly sure I've seen those kinds of sites for L2 back in the day. Some dude would just go around, talk to every player stall and compile all that info onto the site. That's it. No vendor took part in the creation of the site so no ban could come their way. And no GM/Admin would know who exactly compiled the info because it was done through legal means.

I think that's what Azherae is talking about. The site doesn't even have to be profitable to have that kind of information, because there'll always be people interested in compiling information in such ways, so you'd just find those players (easily done through discord groups and shit) and then have them check their local nodes every other hour for the changes on the market.

And if such a site becomes profitable in any way - oooooh boi would your info become way more relevant real quick.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    come on man.. such a tool is useless, it won't serve anything. By the time you go to the nearby node to collect information for the site (not metropolis, just a nearby node) this information has changed. The shop is empty and the site isn't providing useful information. There is no way to track in real time what items are being sold in what shops and what node and for how much with what you describe.
    A seller must post the goods on a website if he wants to provide real time information. And if a player chooses to do that, they break the rules. Banned. The seller TOOK PART in cheating to recreate an AH.

Besides there are marketplace sections in most videogame forums. It's not automation, not a third party program and it doesn't break the rules. If the proposed system is so useless, it serves just as another example of azhreas long but empty posts.

https://eu.tamrieltradecentre.com/pc/Trade
    Imagine this being illegal in ESO if the guildtraders (which are npc AH) where players instead. Every single listing could help in banning a player.
  • Options
    come on man.. such a tool is useless, it won't serve anything. By the time you go to the nearby node to collect information for the site (not metropolis, just a nearby node) this information has changed. The shop is empty and the site isn't providing useful information. There is no way to track in real time what items are being sold in what shops and what node and for how much with what you describe.
    A seller must post the goods on a website if he wants to provide real time information. And if a player chooses to do that, they break the rules. Banned. The seller TOOK PART in cheating to recreate an AH.

Besides there are marketplace sections in most videogame forums.
    I've seen player stalls that didn't change for days in L2. And that shit had TPs and a quite limited range of useful items. I'm more than sure that AoC's markets will move even slower, so checking it every other hour could work just fine.

Either way, people will find a way to make their own kind of AH, be it discord groups, forum threads or player-made sites. And none of that can be bannable, unless Intrepid decide to completely forbid that, which imo would be quite dumb.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »

Besides there are marketplace sections in most videogame forums.
    I've seen player stalls that didn't change for days in L2. And that shit had TPs and a quite limited range of useful items. I'm more than sure that AoC's markets will move even slower, so checking it every other hour could work just fine.

Either way, people will find a way to make their own kind of AH, be it discord groups, forum threads or player-made sites. And none of that can be bannable, unless Intrepid decide to completely forbid that, which imo would be quite dumb.

Please note that depending on the implementation, what the game does when someone ELSE in the area interacts with a stall and buys something, is broadcast that change to every player in the area so that their client can be up to date without having to recheck the database entry for the player's stall (for example, so that if two players are viewing the same stall and one makes a purchase from that stall, the other's client updates to prevent certain much more complex duping scenarios).

There are reasons why this would be possibly the best implementation depending on multiple factors (some others have lower actual security against duping and bugs, for example).

This information is easily tracked. You might receive it while afk. You might even receive it while standing in your own stall. Encoding does not generally matter because you can teach the sniffer to understand the data packet stream without knowing what the data represents exactly in many cases, since you can crossreference Item transactions to your own database. You can write programs to do that too, they are very short.

You now have enough information, I think, to clarify anything other than 'Packet Sniffing won't be allowed while your computer is running the Ashes client' and 'Intrepid obviously won't implement it that way'. Thank you for assisting as much as you have already.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    MaiWaifuMaiWaifu Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Other than being an interesting metric to overanalyze price fluctuations and market trends, I don't really see external trade listings being very useful in AoC.

Without fast travel or easy access to get to the location the listing is in kind of defeats the purpose.

PoE listing makes sense since you can teleport to the player hideout instantly and complete the trade. Even that has people spamming whispers hoping for a reply and hoping you don't get blocked because someone else messaged a few seconds earlier than you.

I can't imagine external trade sites working very well in AoC, when you whisper someone, travel half the continent for the trade and then find out they sold it to someone that was closer.

I can only see external listing working for really rare, lucrative items that are either too expensive for the average person to buy or you want to keep off the radar so no one PK's you for it later.
  • Options
    MaiWaifu wrote: »
    Other than being an interesting metric to overanalyze price fluctuations and market trends, I don't really see external trade listings being very useful in AoC.

Without fast travel or easy access to get to the location the listing is in kind of defeats the purpose.

PoE listing makes sense since you can teleport to the player hideout instantly and complete the trade. Even that has people spamming whispers hoping for a reply and hoping you don't get blocked because someone else messaged a few seconds earlier than you.

I can't imagine external trade sites working very well in AoC, when you whisper someone, travel half the continent for the trade and then find out they sold it to someone that was closer.

I can only see external listing working for really rare, lucrative items that are either too expensive for the average person to buy or you want to keep off the radar so no one PK's you for it later.

Ah you see though, they are gonna have a whisper chat, right? That won't be limited by the zone you are in afaik. Spot a purchase you want, whisper the owner to reserve it, travel there and purchase it. Naturally there are some issues with this (afk, scams, time spent, etc) but this alone undermines the exclusion of an AH system. Especially if people popularize this method of trading, the increase in people following the proper etiquette created by this third party site would reduce such problems.

Sigh, anyway, not having an AH is bad for the health of the game. It encourages degenerate behavior that could easily be resolved. LOOKIN AT YOU GGG!
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2022
    I see markets being tracked if there is data to be obtained..

L2 had a site run by "Himred", players installed the app, it uploaded the data from what they engaged in and the website kept an up to date data base of all buy/sell shops for the server.. and from that one could determine their own pricing to make sales.

Very good to backcheck past sales or rarer items too, as one could see if the current price was in line with market trends.

BDO did this in game.. but I felt it was doctored and not as easy to browse, even for something made 10 years later.

One one hand I would really like to be able to review something like this again, but then again, after working out rates by solo in NW and making good coin by being one of only a few playing the market between towns, I think working it out solo is best for all.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    look ill put it simple. If not having AHs causes this game and its players to create 3rd party addons and websites that are annoying to engage with just to sell to other players like Path of Exile, I would much rather have the issue of AHs being a thing.

Since the dawn of the internet. Forums, boards, IRC chats was always a thing people would post their rare loots for sale. That is never going to stop. People will still come to this website forum and post the high end shit for top dollars. With or without AH - there will be a dedicated Discord AoC Trade channel - with every server listed to sell premium items, end game items - that isnt gonna stop.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    novercalis wrote: »

Since the dawn of the internet. Forums, boards, IRC chats was always a thing people would post their rare loots for sale. That is never going to stop. People will still come to this website forum and post the high end shit for top dollars. With or without AH - there will be a dedicated Discord AoC Trade channel - with every server listed to sell premium items, end game items - that isnt gonna stop.

Theres a difference between them existing and being forced to use them because there is no proper AH in the game.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
  • Options
    novercalis wrote: »

Theres a difference between them existing and being forced to use them because there is no proper AH in the game.

Maybe players will have their own customers who wait for items to be produced and will buy them before they are even listed.
    I see such a possibility if resources are scarce and players end up knowing each other.
    Why sell weapons at higher price to somebody who will come with an army and burn your crops?
    I would rather sell good tasty food cheaper to players in my town who know I am the local fisherman than to somebody who take my resources away.

If I see another fisherman from a town far away, I will complain to local authorities.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2022
    It's bad for the goods transportation and rarity if raw mats per region, as well for the stability of the prices.
    I am somewhat interested in how you think it is bad for goods transportation here.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2022
    "if people do things out of the game to counter some game limits, ban them"

This is the idea to counter any kind of what players would do if there is not any AH ? ...
    What about to ban people who do communication about what is happening in game with tools out of the game ? discord/teamspeak/mumble is a third party tool after all.

If you discover a site where people publish their goods to sell, or what they want to buy, you really think it deserve a mass ban to have the game remain "pure" ? At one point, if we go this way, people will just leave. Losing people because they dislike this free PvP while it is one basic of the game is a thing, but losing people because we only want the trade to be a hard thing to do is stupid.

To have an AH you need a specific node = an economic one, and to have it connected to others you need it to be inside the area of an Economic Metropolis. And to have it linked to another region AH... it needs your region and the other region being under a Economic metropolis... Remember that also, for travel facility, there is the same debate, with Scientific metropolis... Choices needs to be made... Dunno if military/religious node get as strong benefit as those, but while being already a lot subjectiv how strong those are... I begin personally to see people doing siege to get down a metropolis that doesnt fit their commercial interest...

OH WAIT we just saw another reason to siege some metropolis !

The current system limits the use of AH, and so, makes this thing a power full tool of a kind of nodes... if we want activ pvp outside of people killing each other in open world because why the fuck it, but REAL PvP, some WAR ... we need such kind of things.
    Imagine, getting down the economic metropolis, how many trouble for the AH of smaller node not being linked anymore, all the comfort the inhabitents just lost, and how easy now it is to bring devastation on all of them while they struggle to adapt to this new uncomfortable situation ? Because yes, people are fast accustomed on comfort, and have hard time to do without it... to readapt themselves.

Also, there will do different economy. in area linked due to metropolis it will be large scale trade, while in area without it, we will be closer to a "local producer" system, which is far from being so bad... you know your customers, you know your sellers, and it creates link between people and both side could want to help each other in harsh time, while with AH, people trade with unknown they don't care...
    Also, in Economic metropolis Area, each economic town (size needed to have any kind of product in AH) are in same market right ? so ... they are also rivals. If we producer selling our product in node A, we destroy node B... it means less sellers thru AH for a time right ? YAY another war, more blood !
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Path of exile is the same way without a AH, people just use other websites.

https://www.pathofexile.com/trade

... You mean this official website that even allow you to have automatic message to do the deal saying the seller that you want THIS item he claimed at THIS price which is stored in THIS tab at THIS spot ?

This is the AH of POE, we speak here about a game where drop are RNG, and have RNG inside RNG, and RNG inside RNG inside RNG...
    1) have to get the good weapon for the good implicit
    2) have to get the good prefixes / suffixes (with if possible no more than 5 to also allow to add a craft)
    3) have as high value as possible on each.

This site allow it to filtrate thru all the amount of different bonus you can have on items. The game is old, with lot of technic flaw everywhere... (hope many will go away with POE2 ^^') and i think it is easier to do this way that add the menu to look your items in game for GGG.
    Now sellers doesnt need this website to publish what they are selling, only buyers have to go on the site
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    It's bad for the goods transportation and rarity if raw mats per region, as well for the stability of the prices.
    I am somewhat interested in how you think it is bad for goods transportation here.

Resources are supposed to be spread out all over the map. If an eco metropols can link with other eco metropoloi, sharing all goods in the same AH this creates a web of reachable items, just waiting to be purchased from the nearest eco metropolis. So the whole point of resources being rare and people having to travel and transport, becomes less important.

It's bad for the whole caravan gameplay and the whole game.
  • Options
    Lets not kid ourself, Outsourced trade will happen a 100%. Probably through trade channels on a server discord.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2022
    Noaani wrote: »

Resources are supposed to be spread out all over the map. If an eco metropols can link with other eco metropoloi, sharing all goods in the same AH this creates a web of reachable items, just waiting to be purchased from the nearest eco metropolis. So the whole point of resources being rare and people having to travel and transport, becomes less important.

It's bad for the whole caravan gameplay and the whole game.

I mean, you still need to go and get the materials.

If you are in an economic node with an AH and you buy crafting materials in another node, those materials aren't magically transported to you. You still need to go to that node and get them, then bring them to where you want to use or resell them. If the amount of resources you just bought were enough to warrant a caravan to get them to your location, then guess what you'll be doing to get them where you want them...

There may be arguments against having auction houses in Ashes, but they wont have an effect on caravans at all.
  • Options
    DecidendiDecidendi Member
    edited September 2022
    I personally don't mind Auction Houses, even though I played games that heavily relied on player-set-shops. However, there is a problem with that too. You'd have people set up their alt shops to just sit in town 24/7 thus inflating the population and occupying server slots. So, unless there can be a system whereby players set their shops without the need of an actual character to sit in town and do nothing, I say AH make more sense.

• Options
    Not a fan of auction houses. I prefer market stalls from individual players as it slows the exchange rates between material and goods down, keeping overall currency flow manageable.

I like regionalized economies, as this helps build the node community. Processors will get to know their favorite gatherers. Crafters will know the right processors. And consumers the best of all three.

All of this draws node citizens together - especially when sieges / wars occur. You will WANT to defend your node.

If trade is too easy, if gatherers, processors, and crafters become too abstract, the community is indifferent and the whole node becomes meaningless.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Checked the wiki. So theres different types that I assume you have to choose to build. Looks like at baseline its only raw/processed resources that you can sell.

Auction house locations

-Auction houses accompany unique node buildings in Economic nodes.[1]

-Markets in Village level economic nodes have auction houses that allow raw resources and processed goods to be posted.[1]
    -Exchanges in Town nodes have expanded auction houses that allow all goods/items to be posted.[1]
    -Economic nodes that have reached the metropolis stage unlock the linked economy superpower.[1]
    -Up to two economic metropolises may be linked in this manner.[3]
    -Metropolis level economic nodes enable worldwide sale prices for auction houses across Verra.[1]
    Items listed in one linked economic node can be bid on from any other linked economic node.[1]
    -Linked economies also connect an economic metropolis and its vassal economic nodes.[10][1]

Yeah i think this is a problem more than anything you bypass regional resources this way and negate ocean trading if there a economic metrolpis on each island.

Maybe this will be a reason for wat i guess to destroy one but i guess it has the power to completly uproot/change the world trading wise which i guess could be fun who knows
  • Options
    Reading the "Know Your Nodes : Economic Node Type", the Auction House in AoC does not seem too much overpowered until the Linked Economy superpower (which is intended to be, just like the Teleportation superpower of the Scientific node type). If anything, it's a QoL building, nothing more.

This, to me, seems like a non-issue. We'll have to see in the Alpha 2 and the Beta.
  • Options
    SinedkoSinedko Member
    edited September 2022
    As far as i know, mats are very needful in Ashes, you cannot have gathering and crafting, so you will be constantly buying and selling stuff, therefore AH is good idea, and some automated stalls, i prefer AH, and i really hope i don't need to be in city to host a stall for me, otherwise you will not play game, because you will be stuck in city to sell items.

AH is good opinion, imagine you want to buy a coal, then you will need to cruise the whole city / multiple cities and find the right stall ... is this good for you? to searching for item you want to buy for a long time?

You guys thinks you want hardcore stuff, but certainly it will be a pain.

The economic node super power will be super good, there will be reason to have that node, so you can sell/buy items and level your professions faster. And im sure that lots of people will decide to create Eco node, because it will be better to sell items there. For me the Eco node should be constructed first on the server, then it will speed up processes for other nodes / professions / ships and warmachines.
  • Options
    Sinedko wrote: »
    AH is good opinion, imagine you want to buy a coal, then you will need to cruise the whole city / multiple cities and find the right stall ... is this good for you? to searching for item you want to buy for a long time?

Yeah, I'd want that. Played with that kind of system for years and liked it.
  • Options
    I see HA as a way for PvE people to influence the political world, since it takes money and resources to wage wars.
    Making it optional is the right thing to do, let the economic Nodes and their Guild decide if they want HA or not.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Checked the wiki. So theres different types that I assume you have to choose to build. Looks like at baseline its only raw/processed resources that you can sell.

Auction house locations

-Auction houses accompany unique node buildings in Economic nodes.[1]

-Markets in Village level economic nodes have auction houses that allow raw resources and processed goods to be posted.[1]
    -Exchanges in Town nodes have expanded auction houses that allow all goods/items to be posted.[1]
    -Economic nodes that have reached the metropolis stage unlock the linked economy superpower.[1]
    -Up to two economic metropolises may be linked in this manner.[3]
    -Metropolis level economic nodes enable worldwide sale prices for auction houses across Verra.[1]
    Items listed in one linked economic node can be bid on from any other linked economic node.[1]
    -Linked economies also connect an economic metropolis and its vassal economic nodes.[10][1]

Yeah i think this is a problem more than anything you bypass regional resources this way and negate ocean trading if there a economic metrolpis on each island.

Maybe this will be a reason for wat i guess to destroy one but i guess it has the power to completly uproot/change the world trading wise which i guess could be fun who knows

@Veeshan not how any of this works.

Look at @Noaani Post for reference.
  • Options
    If many eco metropoloi share the same AH instead of being isolated then it is a problem.

A simple fix is for every eco node to have its own AH without being able to link in with others.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Sinedko wrote: »
    As far as i know, mats are very needful in Ashes, you cannot have gathering and crafting, so you will be constantly buying and selling stuff, therefore AH is good idea, and some automated stalls, i prefer AH, and i really hope i don't need to be in city to host a stall for me, otherwise you will not play game, because you will be stuck in city to sell items.

The economic node super power will be super good, there will be reason to have that node, so you can sell/buy items and level your professions faster. And im sure that lots of people will decide to create Eco node, because it will be better to sell items there. For me the Eco node should be constructed first on the server, then it will speed up processes for other nodes / professions / ships and warmachines.

No because people will make reputations. I will eventually learn/know who my processors, smithies, specific stall sellers who sells potions, herbs, ores, coals, etc... people specialize in stuff all the time in mmorpg that has stalls open. IE - Ragnarok online
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    If many eco metropoloi share the same AH instead of being isolated then it is a problem.

A simple fix is for every eco node to have its own AH without being able to link in with others.

Do you mean share as in they can see each others listings or share as in items get magically teleported across the world to each other at no risk? Because my assumption was the former being the game plan.
  • Options
    I read a quote somewhere in this thead that lv6 eco nodes can link up with the othrr lv6 eco nodes of the server, unifiying the AH.
    And that is a problem because I can see people focusing only on making lv6 eco nodes to try to reduce the distance to the nearest AH (which is link to all the rest).