Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Over-enchanting drama

StreviStrevi Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
If over-enchanting destroys items
Over-enchanting items comes with a potential risk that the item decays or is destroyed if a safety margin is exceeded. This system is subject to testing.[10][11]
How can players know that the artisan indeed lost the item and not just pretends to be so?
I assume that the process of enchantment takes time and will not happen in a few seconds, while the customer is watching.
But if it is indeed a visual process the player can observe, then he might see how his weapon breaks into pieces.

Edit:
Some players do not like the RNG associated with the enchantment.
Should item sink take place through a different game mechanic?
September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!

Comments

• Options
    Strevi wrote: »
    Over-enchanting items comes with a potential risk that the item decays or is destroyed if a safety margin is exceeded. This system is subject to testing.[10][11]
    How can players know that the artisan indeed lost the item and not just pretends to be so?
    I assume that the process of enchantment takes time and will not happen in a few seconds, while the customer is watching.
    But if it is indeed a visual process the player can observe, then he might see how his weapon breaks into pieces.

I can see there being some sort of trade window where you can put the item in and the enchanter can do it through that window.
  • Options
    There's hoping you won't have to just give your item to a stranger and hope to not get scammed.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

The game will have an escrow system when you need to have an artisan do anything with your items.
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    Natasha wrote: »

The game will have an escrow system when you need to have an artisan do anything with your items.

That color doesn't work well on mobile 😅
  • Options

That color doesn't work well on mobile 😅

I'll keep that in mind to mess with people :D

nwtddcov7h4s.gif
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    Natasha wrote: »

I know the caravans will have an escrow system. But why would the artisan be responsible for the RNG in the game?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    You dont give your items to others to enchant. There is no enchanter profession.
    You buy the enchantment scrolls off the scribes then do it yourself.
  • Options
    Rando88 wrote: »

I can see there being some sort of trade window where you can put the item in and the enchanter can do it through that window.

That can work for a fast enchanting. Then the item disappears. :smile: Or is replaced with a broken item.

That trade window can actually be anything, even a task in a task list, where all involved parties see the status. Then the customer must provide all materials involved into the enchanting process, so that no item to be added or removed. Then the original item being destroyed would definitely mean that it was not replaced.
  • Options
    Warth wrote: »
    You dont give your items to others to enchant. There is no enchanter profession.

Thanks! I was also confused that not seeing a profession. I thought more professions do this.
    Then this solves the problem.
  • Options

I know the caravans will have an escrow system. But why would the artisan be responsible for the RNG in the game?

As stated above its not for enchants, it's for having artisans take your materials and turn them into ships or weapon crafting or parts for housing and so on.

So they're unable to steal them. if the work isnt completed it just gets returned to you.
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    1: There is an escrow system in Ashes. You never have to give your items to someone else
    2: We don't even know if you do the enchantment for other people. Enchantment isn't currently listed as a crafting profession.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2022
    Jahlon wrote: »
    1: There is an escrow system in Ashes. You never have to give your items to someone else
    2: We don't even know if you do the enchantment for other people. Enchantment isn't currently listed as a crafting profession.
    Warth wrote: »

Thanks! I was also confused that not seeing a profession. I thought more professions do this.
    Then this solves the problem.

There is not an enchantment profession; however, scribes create scrolls that are used for enchanting.

The enchanting scrolls are not necessarily used by the player for upgrades, rather they are apparently used as part of the components for upgrades by professions other than scribe. "Scribes create scrolls that can be utilized by different professions to create enchantments relating to that profession."
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Enchanting

There is also an escrow system for crafting that basically allows a crafter to open a window that the buyer will place items into which will then perform the crafting. Or something like that.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Escrow_system
  • Options
    I think enchanting should be handled by the players themselves, buy scrolls enchant your own gear.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited September 2022
    If they just make it decay only I think that's the best solution. Having a chance to destroy a presumably valuable item just isnt good for crafting systems.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    StreviStrevi Member
    edited September 2022
    Sathrago wrote: »
    If they just make it decay only I think that's the best solution. Having a chance to destroy a presumably valuable item just isnt good for crafting systems.

It should actually explode sometimes... when using low quality materials.
    Or depending on enchantment, other accidents could happen too: fire, poison, demon summon...
    Risk vs Reward :smile:
  • Options
    Anything that wants gear to blow up doesn't understand how bad enhancing is. It is the same people that wont play lost ark or BDO and yet wanting systems that killed those games.
  • Options

Or just have it so that only equivalent or higher value materials can be used. The more powerful the materials used, the higher chance that the item has durability removed and quantity of durability. If we need an item destruction mechanic, make items have a chance of being destroyed when they hit 0 durability. This still would apply to your enchanting, and now it works from death and other effects that might cause durability loss.

I really don't like an uncontrollable rng destroying my items when I'm attempting to make them better. Imo if they are dead set on it being risk vs reward, having you lose durability on a failure is already risk enough. Because you now have to go get more materials to put into your weapon which may or may not be quite costly to you.
    And if you were not aware, if your durability hits 0 its unequipped and unusable until you repair it. At that point you are required to either get rid of the item or sink almost its full cost in materials to repair it. We don't know the full percentage of cost, but it sounds like it will be close to 100% to repair a 0 durability item. I would guess 70-80%.
    5000x1000px_sathrago_commission_ravenjuu_1.jpg?ex=665ce6c0&is=665b9540&hm=1fa03cbbd9ea4d641eaf4ca6f133d013d392b1968d6ca9add7d433259c509d09&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Anything that wants gear to blow up doesn't understand how bad enhancing is. It is the same people that wont play lost ark or BDO and yet wanting systems that killed those games.

PvE players say on other forums that PvP kills the games.
    Some say if only 20k players play, the game is dead or failed.
  • Options

Or just have it so that only equivalent or higher value materials can be used. The more powerful the materials used, the higher chance that the item has durability removed and quantity of durability. If we need an item destruction mechanic, make items have a chance of being destroyed when they hit 0 durability. This still would apply to your enchanting, and now it works from death and other effects that might cause durability loss.

I really don't like an uncontrollable rng destroying my items when I'm attempting to make them better. Imo if they are dead set on it being risk vs reward, having you lose durability on a failure is already risk enough. Because you now have to go get more materials to put into your weapon which may or may not be quite costly to you.
    And if you were not aware, if your durability hits 0 its unequipped and unusable until you repair it. At that point you are required to either get rid of the item or sink almost its full cost in materials to repair it. We don't know the full percentage of cost, but it sounds like it will be close to 100% to repair a 0 durability item. I would guess 70-80%.

While you was writing your reply, I also updated my post and added that with high quality materials the chance of destruction to be lower. Actually I would prefer the chance to be 0%.
    The fun part would be to cause some damage around when working with low quality materials: explosions, toxic clouds, fire, frost... maybe affecting nearby crops too.

But, there are a few things I want to clarify:
    1) if producing items is hard and rewarding, but repairing them is easy and boring, as a crafter I would be quite disappointed. This is one reason why I think there should be item sink too, not only resource sink. For the customer might be the same cost but for the artisan is about how he plays the game
    2) if the item destruction lies on other players (PvP) then those who lose call them toxic or even if not, they might leave the game. The degradation has to be slow enough to give enough time for the player to react and have a backup gear.
  • Options
    StreviStrevi Member
    edited September 2022
    Maybe item repair can be as fun as producing the items.

Let's say the item is very easy to produce but applying the enchantments could be complex.
    I imagine a player coming to me and giving me a sword and asking if I can reverse engineer how it was produced, because the original artisan left the game and didn't told him how he did it.

If some complex work has to be done to remove (at least partially) the previous enchantments and then apply the next ones to reach a certain state, then this could be the essence of weapon production.

The best weapon and armor smiths might be the ones which master the scribe profession too because to reverse engineer applied enchantments could be the scribe skill.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited September 2022

Have you played Black desert online, elyon or lost ark? I need a answer to this question before i can continue this discussion.
  • Options
    Anyone that wants gear to blow up doesn't understand how bad enhancing is. It is the same people that wont play lost ark or BDO and yet wanting systems that killed those games.
    I've been burning my gear for 12 years and loved it :) Would definitely prefer if Ashes had full destruction on failed OE.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Anyone that wants gear to blow up doesn't understand how bad enhancing is. It is the same people that wont play lost ark or BDO and yet wanting systems that killed those games.
    I've been burning my gear for 12 years and loved it :) Would definitely prefer if Ashes had full destruction on failed OE.

That is the gambling addiction.

This game had plenty of destruction and gambling enhancing.

https://gamerant.com/mmorpg-elyon-shutting-down-one-year/
  • Options
    That is the gambling addiction.

This game had plenty of destruction and gambling enhancing.
    Correlation =/= causation. There's compound issues in most games. And some of those games have burn on OE failure. But that feature is the breaking point for only a part of the playerbase rather than the whole.

And I'm pretty sure you were a part of the last conversion on OE mechanics. And I explained why I think that item destruction is a good thing. The biggest reasons being gear sink and gear equalization.
  • Options

Have you played Black desert online, elyon or lost ark? I need a answer to this question before i can continue this discussion.

No, I haven't. I guess you will have to describe the emotions players feel, which drives them away from those games.
  • Options

No, I haven't. I guess you will have to describe the emotions players feel, which drives them away from those games.

Are you fine spending 100 hours and getting no gear from it, and potentially having the same result again in the future spending that many hours or more to get no gear again do to gambling rng?
  • Options

Are you fine spending 100 hours and getting no gear from it, and potentially having the same result again in the future spending that many hours or more to get no gear again do to gambling rng?

Maybe. Depends how things are balanced.
    In this case...
    ... if the safety margin is not exceeded, chances to break are 0%
    We need to know how the risk distribution is beyond that margin, if is linear or exponential...
    P2W games balance also to encourage paying real money.
    I believe some players feel extreme emotions, both the desire to get those over enchanted items and the suffering when they fail.
    Some players hate being killed in pvp.
    Losing is painful for many.

But if I get resources, I am ready to craft new gear for them. With a discount! ^^
  • Options

In this case...
    We need to know how the risk distribution is beyond that margin, if is linear or exponential...
    I believe some players feel extreme emotions, both the desire to get those over enchanted items and the suffering when they fail.

But if I get resources, I am ready to craft new gear for them. With a discount! ^^

Some enchanting is fine but systems can still be designed even without pay 2 win to become a hellish gambling simulator. One that makes gear drops more common and enhancing the main progression over anything else.

There are no systems where it is fun like that, it kills games and the reason why i linked one earlier. Unless you experience it you can't understand how bad that kind of stuff is. You can do enhancing without relying on heavy destruction and it still can be a time investment / risk thing.

Pattern is always the same people enjoy it do the enhancement and everyone complains and people eventually quit over it. Lost ark is a perfect example, community hated it and devs had to add a bunch of things in game so people didn't hate themselves and they still started to bleed players.
  • Options

In this case...

Some enchanting is fine but systems can still be designed even without pay 2 win to become a hellish gambling simulator. One that makes gear drops more common and enhancing the main progression over anything else.

There are no systems where it is fun like that, it kills games and the reason why i linked one earlier. Unless you experience it you can't understand how bad that kind of stuff is. You can do enhancing without relying on heavy destruction and it still can be a time investment / risk thing.

Pattern is always the same people enjoy it do the enhancement and everyone complains and people eventually quit over it. Lost ark is a perfect example, community hated it and devs had to add a bunch of things in game so people didn't hate themselves and they still started to bleed players.

So, what is your suggestion for item sink?
  • Options

In this case...

So, what is your suggestion for item sink?

I did a whole page post in one of the enhancement threads on how to approach it with a unique system. I could attempt to find it again wherever its buried if you want to see. There are plenty of ways to have item sinks, you simply give people a reason to to use it as a material and break it down. Part of that most likely will exist in the game to begin with to repair the gear.

I also don't really view it as a material sink, you are simply gambling the gear and if you are smart you have back ups and back ups for those back ups. You can simply create reasons to use semi enhanced gear as a material so there is a reason for it to be used and destroyed to buff another of the same item.

Ie i have his item and this semi enhanced other one, and if I break the enhanced one down i can power up this rare orb and attempt to enhance my other sword up and it could fail or be successful. (You are essentially forcing the player to enhance properly like how most players normally do having back ups, rather then giving the door for them to rage enhance and quit the game)

^ Above is not the idea i mentioned in the other thread months ago, but this could easily be added onto it and make it even more difficult and time consuming to enhance. If you want me to get my old post let me know and ill do the tomorrow at some point