Discussion over flying mounts (finished)

mSilvermSilver Member
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
There have been key factors i have failed to realize before creating the thread that people have pointed out.

Thank you for commenting on the topic and giving insight on the matter.

(and as you can see i have no idea how to close the thread so it will remain as is until deleted or forgotten about)

Comments

• tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If we have two scientific metros, won't we have an airship which travels between the metros? This would allow all citizens of those nodes (and vassal nodes) the opportunity to see the world from the air.
  • tautau wrote: »
    If we have two scientific metros, won't we have an airship which travels between the metros? This would allow all citizens of those nodes (and vassal nodes) the opportunity to see the world from the air.

well true you could see the world from above but those airships are probably gonna have set paths they always follow the difference from being on an airship that always has a set path and the freedom of flying where ever you wish in the flight period is vastly different in my opinion.

For example you see a cool forest with a great river view at sunfall you cant really capture the moment from an airship that might not even go over that area and instead hop on your trusty mount and see the full view. Little things like that really make you remember the game and are important atleast in my honest opinion.
  • I may never get such a rare mount. I wish to see other players riding them. But should not bring any advantage owning them except as intended in node siege defense.
    mSilver wrote: »
    ... how about the items are insanely hard to get in a form of a colossal scale raid where the item for said mount has an insanely low drop chance so it still has the prestige factor that it has now but when used you can fly for a certain period of time lets say around 4 hours and then the item can go on a real time cool down of around a day or more,
    If you want to just see from above, then we can ask for a spell which shows the surrounding.
    If that would bring some advantages, those could be hidden while the spell is active.
    Maybe the game will even show us the most beautiful places this way, when we visit them.

There will be some flying ships too
    If there are multiple scientific metropolises, then an airship will provide faster travel between those scientific metropolises for citizens of those nodes and their vassal nodes, so long as the metropolises are not at war.
    Instead of those flying ships they could provide some flying mounts which the player cannot control.

But for prestige, how about a flying mount usable only within a very short range around the freehold? A range high enough to be able to organize a small race with friends, if you have more of them but small enough to not be able to use it to reach places faster?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • We already have an
    insanely hard to get in a form of a colossal scale raid where the item for said mount has an insanely low drop chance so it still has the prestige factor that it has now
    Eggs literally drop from bosses. Except instead of a joint that gets passed around, it's a super prestige item for the chosen ones.

And if you want to see the world from above, tautau said one way and the other one is literally climbing a mountain and using a gliding mount to jump off the peak. Half the map is littered with mountainous regions.

In other words, go jump off a cliff.
  • NiKr wrote: »
    We already have an
    insanely hard to get in a form of a colossal scale raid where the item for said mount has an insanely low drop chance so it still has the prestige factor that it has now
    Eggs literally drop from bosses. Except instead of a joint that gets passed around, it's a super prestige item for the chosen ones.

And if you want to see the world from above, tautau said one way and the other one is literally climbing a mountain and using a gliding mount to jump off the peak. Half the map is littered with mountainous regions.

In other words, go jump off a cliff.

Im fine with whatever they create i still plan on playing the game and im aware of the gliding mounts, but for certain scenarios where you wanted to see something from above in that exact moment and it would not last long enough to climb a mountain and hop off. of course i started the discussion about flying mounts but it doesnt have to be true flight mounts the awnser can be something else entirely.
  • MrPocketsMrPockets Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I personally don't have super strong feelings about flying mounts. But what I do like is innovation. I find the current design choice of limited flying mounts interesting, as it provides something extra for those players who are putting in the effort to be leaders in the game world. It is just another way to encourage players to engage with the more social/intricate systems of the game.
    I am just suggesting a way for anyone that cares to be able to experience the game from a new perspective.

If players REALLY want to see the game from a new perspective, can they not just put in the effort to become a node leader?

I feel like putting permanent flying mounts as drops (even with the limitations you described), pushes players in the direction of just "farming for rare drops" instead of engaging with the node system. Because of that, I think the current design is what I'd like to see first, before we start changing it.
  • MrPockets wrote: »
    I personally don't have super strong feelings about flying mounts. But what I do like is innovation. I find the current design choice of limited flying mounts interesting, as it provides something extra for those players who are putting in the effort to be leaders in the game world. It is just another way to encourage players to engage with the more social/intricate systems of the game.
    I am just suggesting a way for anyone that cares to be able to experience the game from a new perspective.

If players REALLY want to see the game from a new perspective, can they not just put in the effort to become a node leader?

I feel like putting permanent flying mounts as drops (even with the limitations you described), pushes players in the direction of just "farming for rare drops" instead of engaging with the node system. Because of that, I think the current design is what I'd like to see first, before we start changing it.

Yes that is a fair point i have not thought about myself. Its probably true that it would turn off alot of people to seek power in the world but lets be real there will always be a group of people seeking to lead others.

But all in all fair point and a miss in my judgement.
  • I want to climb in a potion launcher :smile:
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Strevi wrote: »
    I want to climb in a potion launcher :smile:
    That's a good idea though. Have a node building that's either a huge tower or some sort of "cannon" that launches you into the air where you can then summon your mount (or it launches you on the mount).
  • SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm just gonna drop this here, from the last flying mount thread two days ago.
    SongRune wrote: »
    Everyone here is looking at flying mount as a prestige thing, and that perspective makes sense from the majority of players. But that's not what they're for. They are command & control outposts for sieges, large battles, major PvP or PvE events. They are a gameplay mechanic with tactical value.

If you're sieging a metropolis, their mayor can fly safely over the battlefield, and give orders, sight sneak attacks, and bring back reconnaissance. These mounts might be prestige, but that's a small secondary benefit. They are a powerful tactical tool which allows you to put your commander in the absolute ideal position on the battlefield.

People are thinking in terms of "the prestige being less because it goes away". That's not what it is. Earning a flying mount from high-level raid content is a way of gaining a tactical advantage to equal your opponent's and give you another powerful tool to siege the metropolis or take the castle you've had your eye on. It absolutely makes sense for that buff (like a siege scroll) to be a temporary thing. It's preparation and buildup for a server-level event, not some personal "look how cool I am" for top-end raiders.

What you describe is a massive tactical advantage in high-end content. It's intended to be a buff, not a 'gear piece', and I feel they should keep it that way.
  • There will be almost none, and none will be permanent. That’s ok.

Just my 2 cents - I don’t want any flying mounts ever.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Airships have been mentioned, but what if you could rent a balloon to travel between nodes? It may be safe, but it's VERY slow and you can't carry anything other than what you've got on you so no extra item transportation. This would go nice and high up allowing you to see the world from a good view as you requested during the journey.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm pretty sure the decision wasn't based on how (non)immersive flying mounts are, but rather their power/utility compared to those who will be without one. Not to mention the wow factor when you finally see one.

But I don't really have a decisive leaning either way. Just don't land on my ship and we'll be good.
  • SongRune wrote: »
    I'm just gonna drop this here, from the last flying mount thread two days ago.
    SongRune wrote: »
    Everyone here is looking at flying mount as a prestige thing, and that perspective makes sense from the majority of players. But that's not what they're for. They are command & control outposts for sieges, large battles, major PvP or PvE events. They are a gameplay mechanic with tactical value.

If you're sieging a metropolis, their mayor can fly safely over the battlefield, and give orders, sight sneak attacks, and bring back reconnaissance. These mounts might be prestige, but that's a small secondary benefit. They are a powerful tactical tool which allows you to put your commander in the absolute ideal position on the battlefield.

People are thinking in terms of "the prestige being less because it goes away". That's not what it is. Earning a flying mount from high-level raid content is a way of gaining a tactical advantage to equal your opponent's and give you another powerful tool to siege the metropolis or take the castle you've had your eye on. It absolutely makes sense for that buff (like a siege scroll) to be a temporary thing. It's preparation and buildup for a server-level event, not some personal "look how cool I am" for top-end raiders.

What you describe is a massive tactical advantage in high-end content. It's intended to be a buff, not a 'gear piece', and I feel they should keep it that way.

now when you put it like that i feel rather silly creating this thread.
  • I think from the air views without flying mounts could be achieved via scout balloon. I made a post about possible details of use. https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/53713/scouting-balloons-as-craft-able-rare-loot-etc#latest
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    edited September 2022
    Regardless of tactical advantage, the world has to be built entirely around having flying mounts for them to be implemented. Otherwise you'll have an incredibly small world to explore and delve into. I'd estimate you'd need a world about, 10,000-15,000 kmsq to keep it around its current scope and size while granting everyone the ability to fly around.

WoW is a great example. When they allowed flying in azeroth, that world felt like only a couple zones compared to when there was no flying and travel from zone to zone was an experience in itself. Even with each new expansion, once you unlock flying in the the new zone, everything becomes instantaneous and short lived.

Definitely a no for accesible flying mounts in Ashes of Creation as the world is designed. I barely even want the limited access ones in the game. But they are designed for what ashes is so I am fine with them at the moment.

Edit: flying mounts would also pretty much make.boats/ships irrelevant for travel.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • The rarer flying mounts are, the better. I also hope that no flying mount is ever permanent, i.e. there's either a timer when you hatch a dropped egg or you need to fight to remain a king or Metro mayor to keep your status symbol.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • mSilver wrote: »
    Before i state anything yes i know the devs are against flying mounts for everybody because it ruins immersion and what not but i just want to see everyones input on the matter and feedback on an idea i got from a certain show.

So about flying mounts, indeed they could be an immersion breaker but i see them as immersion boosters. Ever since they moved to Unreal 5 i thought it would be such a waste to let such a beautiful world go unseen from above by the majority of players. Im against flying fast travel the way WOW did it but i have an idea on flying mounts that could be a potential option to expand flying mounts to other players.

I got this idea from a certain show, the description of it might remind you if you have seen it. So the idea is that flying mounts still come in item form as they already do and function the same way except instead of the item getting deleted and you being able to fly for around 20 to 30 days how about the items are insanely hard to get in a form of a colossal scale raid where the item for said mount has an insanely low drop chance so it still has the prestige factor that it has now but when used you can fly for a certain period of time lets say around 4 hours and then the item can go on a real time cool down of around a day or more, everyone can get their fill of amazing scenery from the skies, the mount would stay a prestige item that showed you managed to clear and get the item from said raid, plus it doesnt have to be an insane dragon or anything a simple griffin would do for the masses and the mayor/king or queen mounts would be the majestic kind with different colors and feels to them.

(of course if you are against the idea i completely understand. However if you would not mind sharing as to why it would not work feel free to do so)

They have said there will be some fight path or other public transit modes.

You can get your Ariel views there probably.

Otherwise you could go climb a mountain and just look for yourself.
  • VyrilVyril Member
    edited September 2022
    I prefer no flying mounts.

Since we will have them, as long as they stay very rare and are used for buffs/utility. I can be more accepting of them existing.

The last thing I want to happen, is not being able to interact with other random players in the world.
  • One of the nodes has the idea of an airship that can go from node to node and I'm certain that we will have harbors that do similar things with other node types... It might be something that could be player-driven... We're sure to have a taxi system you know where you load up a couple people and you drive them somewhere while you AFK.[64] – Jeffrey Bard

There will be connection points between certain nodes via the use of like flying automated creatures that you can use. Stuff like that.[65] – Steven Sharif
  • Things already look pretty good on the ground. And you get third person.
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    people really don't get it... has nothing to do with immersion... the limited flying mounts is because the game is Designed around TRAVEL DISTANCE and TIME

flying in a straight line over the terrain completely goes against the core design..... that's why only a limited fraction of 0.04% of the server can have them.

Any suggestions to have more flying mounts need to be ignored.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited September 2022
    Flying mount i feel main use is for node war and management of troops like a commander position sitting above co ordinating people aswell as letting out AoE attacks on area to assist in the form of dragon breaths and things. would be why castle owners and mayors get them pretty atleast how i see it.

As the above guy mention flying mount do one thing and thats make the world feel so much smaller which is main reason why most players wont get them, the reason the few player that do get them is as stated above.

We the peasant do believe get gliding as an option though with some mounts like the gryphon so we do get some aerial movement type stuff but it limited, we might see mount thats have vertical mobility skills like a leap or jump to hope up things.
  • Vyril wrote: »
    I prefer no flying mounts.

Since we will have them, as long as they stay very rare and are used for buffs/utility. I can be more accepting of them existing.

The last thing I dont want to happen, is not being able to interact with other random players in the world.

there basicly there so mayors and castle commanders can use them to manage there troops on ground pretty much so they get aerial view of battlefields. they probaly have a long Cooldown ability too that can help turn the side of an area of the battle if used correctly. but how i see flying mounts is to help the leader of nodes/castles a homefield advanatage with the aerial support. That being said you get rare ones that anyone can have for a short duration and i feel this is something you use when your about to attack a place to counteract the defender getting the bonus of aerial support for the attacks if they spend the time to get one before going into seiges since they only last like a week or something.
  • I will say one thing i wouldnt be against flying mounts being leashed to the castle/metropolis that there in and can only be taken out x Distance from these nodes say within there vasseled node area this way they cant be used to bypass long distance travel and more used around defence of your territory than a travel mount for the few.
    Node/castle flying mount should despawn (aka fly back to their node) when they go out x distance leaving the mayor to land in that area and continue normally this also help with people using the flying mount as packmule to carry stuff safely back and forth to sell however im assuming resouces will not be allowed on flying mount to fix this but would armor or weapons by pass this since there technically equipable and not bound so i could buy gear set in one town fly it to another strip and sell them for a profit if flying mount can go across the world without a leash.
  • People should be able to fly anywhere imo, if her needs to be limits on how much they carry that is fine. They are rare and earned to begin with, rather it not turn into a gimmick.