Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Can we get third party addons?

2»

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    NiKr wrote: »
    With that long laundry list, I start to wonder if you're actually playing the game, xlx?

Or, are you letting the add-ons play the game for you?
    Thought the exact same thing. That really doesn't sound like a game at that point.
    I agree.

Anyone that is actually paying attention on the combat tracker thread will know that I am absolutely against add ons.
  • Options
    well if you can enhance chat or auction house functionality the advantage only lies in speeding up the process. By creating shopping lists and average price history and this stuff.
  • Options
    xlx wrote: »
    well if you can enhance chat or auction house functionality the advantage only lies in speeding up the process. By creating shopping lists and average price history and this stuff.

Should all be built in to the game client.
  • Options
    No addons pleaseee. I want a clean, well done UI. The game should do all it needs to do on its own.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Noaani is about to hyp this

You're supposed to tag @Noaani like this. They absolutely love that.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    The more addons people use, the less immersive a game feels (imo).
    So that's a nono for me :)
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited September 2022
    There shouldn't be a average price history, people should figure that out themselves and work the market. Every add on he wants is to make the game easier for him and dumb it down.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    There shouldn't be a average price history, people should figure that out themselves and work the market. Every add on he wants is to make the game easier for him and dumb it down.

Yeah, except we know that in economic nodes (where playing the economy is taken most seriously), price history, sales volume and average price information will be available.

I mean, everyone knows that if you want players to take an aspect of the game seriously, all you need to do is give them tools and data. Since Intrepid want a solid economy where some people take it seriously, they need those tools available.

However, those tools become cumbersome for those not wanting to take the economic game seriously, which is why they are not available outside of economic nodes.

Historically, this is the point of add ons. Players that wish to take one aspect of the game more seriously than most would acquire tools related to that area that allowed them to take it more seriously. If Intrepid dont want add ons, they need to provide those tools to those that want to take those areas more seriously.

Fortunately, they know this and have said their plan for not allowing add ons includes making the game in a way where they are not needed.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited September 2022
    xlx wrote: »
    I think what makes wow so unique is all the addons people are able to make. I would really like this. Sure you can ban abusive addons like wow does too. But do you think about it Intrepid?

Nope not happening and thats a good thing WoW literaly plays itself now with all there add ons sp it not very fun at all anymore since all you realy do it follow directions of addons :P

Addon also create unfairness between those who have and have not got them to the point they become mandatory.
  • Options
    If you make a game with good design and UI you shouldn't need addons.

The only thing I could see players wanting is something like Questie in WoW since they've already said that there will be no map icons to indicate the location of your quest target. You'll have to read the quest text and go from there.

I can understand that it can get slow and frustrating, but it does give a bigger sense of adventure and immersion, which could be destroyed by an addon.

In the end it will depend on whether some quests are way too confusing without some third party aid.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    I understand that there's a large community of add-on developers for MMOs, so having add-ons gives them a reason to play Ashes and thus puts Ashes on more people's radars, but I'm very much against add-ons. First of all, they rarely end up being optional when any kind of in-game competition exists, and since this is a PvP game, there's obviously competition. Second, when you decide you have to start using them to keep up, you end up having to juggle keeping them all up to date and whatnot, which is usually a big hassle. Third, we know that an MMO doesn't have to allow add-ons to be successful since we have a good example in GW2. Finally, I don't think this game is targeting WoW players, so if add-ons really are a huge draw for people who love WoW, I don't think we'd be missing much by not having them in Ashes since those players probably wouldn't play this game anyway.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No, no. No, no, no, no. No, no, no. There's no limit.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Pretty sure it's a hard no on that from Intrepid. We'll just have to put the UI through the paces during alpha and beta. We just have to be vocal about what we like and don't like.

The WoW addons mostly just cover up poor UI decisions.
  • Options
    As long as the Ui is customizable I don't really see a need. I am Neutral win comes to prases and logs. on the one hand they create toxic behavior but it wouldn't be the case if casual people weren't trying to sneak into top-tier content to get carried
  • Options
    odanrotodanrot Member
    edited September 2022
    I think my favorite ad on from wow with whisper the one that would pop up a Yahoo Messenger style chat Box when you get a pm