Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Request for the Ranger stream

DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
edited September 2022 in General Discussion
Love that we are starting to see the work put into the combat system and next week we are going to see ranged combat. A couple things I would ask you to show if at all possible:

1) Attacking with motion; Some of the best bow classes are fun because their play style is shooting while on the move. I'm hoping you will show some mobile combat.

2) How ranged combat moves from one attack to the next; Using the classic Legolas example he quickly moves from one attack to the next smoothly and naturally. I would like to see how multiple types of attacks in succession look in Ashes.

3) An example of a combo/rotation; People will of course optimize their attack order after a few months of experimentation (or maybe a few days), I would like to see what a simple combo will look like in Ashes ranged combat.

I suppose some of these are captain obvious request, but this is what will be looking for next week.

Comments

• LordPaxLordPax Member
    edited September 2022
    Agree with OP - As well, I would love to see the differences in "tab targeting" versus "action targeting".

And, while skills are still in development, some level of what to expect for the class. Is this an "Elf archer Legolas that spams bow abilities" class, or "Soldier/Hunter capable of using bow and sword, who prefers traps and nature like Aragorn"?
    jlyhubmxm6w1.png

Founder and Guild Leader of -Providence-
  • BarabBarab Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mobile range classes are always a nightmare to balance in pvp.
    The Dünir Hold Mithril Warhammers,Thanes of the Keelhaul, Dünir scourge of the oceans, Warhammer First Fleet Command of The Dünzenkell Nation, friends to the Dünir Dwarves of the Dünhold.Hammers High!
  • Barab wrote: »
    Mobile range classes are always a nightmare to balance in pvp.

it wont be as bad if it is action combat based, if it is tab ya it is going to be easy mode and will need tob e balanced accordingly.
  • Second all of this. Since Rangers wont be pet dependent like hunters in WoW im hoping these guys have great movement/CC and are an all around annoyance with how difficult they are to catch up with.
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    I'm just hoping for a big skill tree (for all classes) but only a limited number of picks. So you'd have to pick a "style" as it were. Mobile will be costing you some damage, do you want to take the C-C but not get that final skill. Choices like this.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    LordPax wrote: »
    Agree with OP - As well, I would love to see the differences in "tab targeting" versus "action targeting".

And, while skills are still in development, some level of what to expect for the class. Is this an "Elf archer Legolas that spams bow abilities" class, or "Soldier/Hunter capable of using bow and sword, who prefers traps and nature like Aragorn"?

I wouldn't mind if the sub-classes influence what style you get. As in Ranger/Fighter (Strider) could be the Aragorn/In place/traps style, Ranger/Tank (Sentinel) could be some kind of Heavy Bow or Crossbow type, Ranger/Ranger (Hawkeye) is a middle ground and some other combo like Ranger/Rogue (Scout) is a faster play style. Mix/max/change the combos however you like but that would give the archetype some variety.
  • Diamaht wrote: »
    Using the classic Legolas example he quickly moves from one attack to the next smoothly and naturally.

I never really liked how he could fire a continuous stream of arrows without even drawing back the bow string. Never looks right.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Personally if there is any auto attack in tab that track and always hits people. They need to have an option where as you put points into your weapon skill try you can go with soft lock or free aim. Both having their own advantages as well.
    If rangers are highly mobile cc ranged dps classes in a mmo that offers pvp not only will they be the number one gank class but they will also represent over 50% of the player base. Might as well just give them stealth, self healing, and immunity to all cc as well.
    The Dünir Hold Mithril Warhammers,Thanes of the Keelhaul, Dünir scourge of the oceans, Warhammer First Fleet Command of The Dünzenkell Nation, friends to the Dünir Dwarves of the Dünhold.Hammers High!
    If rangers are highly mobile cc ranged dps classes in a mmo that offers pvp not only will they be the number one gank class but they will also represent over 50% of the player base. Might as well just give them stealth, self healing, and immunity to all cc as well.

one shot from stealth with hit scan tab target is a joke for me and my guild lol
    Barab wrote: »

The first half of your comment describes hunters in WoW, they are about 9 percent of the player base.
    Diamaht wrote: »

The first half of your comment describes hunters in WoW, they are about 9 percent of the player base.

That may be true in a tread mill on rails without a real open world pvp scope MMO but in sandbox MMORPG with pvp mechanics that includes a range class with great mobility, good cc, and good dps it has great potential to create major pvp balance issues.

what about l2 where every1 is an archer or a mage?
    Depraved wrote: »

Well thats an example of poor balancing. Reasonably well balanced games like gw2 and wow have plenty of pvp and the bow classes compete alongside all the other classes, even classic with open world pvp is fine.

You are traumatized by ranged classes and thats great! Means we are doing our jobs.

Just remember, if the bowman don't get you, the casters will for sure.

Well thats an example of poor balancing. Reasonably well balanced games like gw2 and wow have plenty of pvp and the bow classes compete alongside all the other classes, even classic with open world pvp is fine.

You are traumatized by ranged classes and thats great! Means we are doing our jobs.

It's clear do not know me or my people if you think am concerned about ranged balance due to being traumatized from range classes in past mmos. Good luck to you and all one million of you Legolas types with your uber ranger class ideas.

It's clear do not know me or my people if you think am concerned about ranged balance due to being traumatized from range classes in past mmos. Good luck to you and all one million of you Legolas types with your uber ranger class ideas.

I feel like this was secretly written by a bear. 🧸

I feel like this was secretly written by a bear. 🧸

And one that truly cares.

If rangers are highly mobile cc ranged DPS classes in a MMO that offers PVP not only will they be the number one gank class but they will also represent over 50% of the player base. Might as well just give them stealth, self-healing, and immunity to all cc as well.

Cause WoW is a PVE game, with optional PVP in it. AoC is a PvP all-the-time game. When it comes to Pvp they couldn't be more different. Better to compare it to something ESO and yes stam nightblade was a plague for a long time lol, still beatable tho
    Well all bow class threads turn into nerf ranger threads.

I play tanks most of time so I understand the frustration that kiting causes, but it's usually only that; an emotional responce. Most of time if I had been paying attention or used my cooldowns correctly I could have won or escaped the situation. Sometimes its because the ranged class did everthing right and I'm wrecked, and that's ok too.

Conversly I've played plenty of ranged classes over the years, starting with SWG, and I've both deliver and been handed a beating. Range classes have issues and can be beaten.

Well all bow class threads turn into nerf ranger threads.

I play tanks most of time so I understand the frustration that kiting causes, but it's usually only that; an emotional responce. Most of time if I had been paying attention or used my cooldowns correctly I could have won or escaped the situation. Sometimes its because the ranged class did everthing right and I'm wrecked, and that's ok too.

Conversly I've played plenty of ranged classes over the years, starting with SWG, and I've both deliver and been handed a beating. Range classes have issues and can be beaten.

it depends entirely on the game and how they're balanced. It's not emotional, lol it's just that everybody knows how bad games feel when they are broken. it's a Range thing in general actually, from what I have seen companies have a hard time balancing them. I am looking forward either way
  • MahesMahes Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are a few issues with ranged combat.

1. A constant balance between melee and the advantage ranged gets with first hits.

2. Coordinated range is a nightmare to deal with. 5 rangers on discord is a hard machine to fight with melee.

3. Exploiting areas that are difficult to reach make ranged even worse. Melee have to reach you while ranged can attack from any vantage point.

Adding ways that allow melee to easily reach a ranged character is one possible balance.

Decreasing ranged damage verse melee is another. Armor usually plays a part in this as a ranged character should not really be wearing full plate armor.

Decreasing damage on top of armor, based around the actual range is another way. In theory an arrow from 25 feet should do more damage than one from 100 feet. Volleys are groups of arrows using gravity, but those should not hit near as frequently as a straight shot.

Its a balancing act, that if properly done, will work fine once balanced.