Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Request for the Ranger stream

DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
edited September 22 in General Discussion
Love that we are starting to see the work put into the combat system and next week we are going to see ranged combat. A couple things I would ask you to show if at all possible:

1) Attacking with motion; Some of the best bow classes are fun because their play style is shooting while on the move. I'm hoping you will show some mobile combat.

2) How ranged combat moves from one attack to the next; Using the classic Legolas example he quickly moves from one attack to the next smoothly and naturally. I would like to see how multiple types of attacks in succession look in Ashes.

3) An example of a combo/rotation; People will of course optimize their attack order after a few months of experimentation (or maybe a few days), I would like to see what a simple combo will look like in Ashes ranged combat.

I suppose some of these are captain obvious request, but this is what will be looking for next week.

Comments

  • LordPaxLordPax Member
    edited September 22
    Agree with OP - As well, I would love to see the differences in "tab targeting" versus "action targeting".

    And, while skills are still in development, some level of what to expect for the class. Is this an "Elf archer Legolas that spams bow abilities" class, or "Soldier/Hunter capable of using bow and sword, who prefers traps and nature like Aragorn"?
    jlyhubmxm6w1.png

    Founder and Guild Leader of -Providence-
  • BarabBarab Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mobile range classes are always a nightmare to balance in pvp.
    Hammers High !! Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers
  • Barab wrote: »
    Mobile range classes are always a nightmare to balance in pvp.

    it wont be as bad if it is action combat based, if it is tab ya it is going to be easy mode and will need tob e balanced accordingly.
  • Second all of this. Since Rangers wont be pet dependent like hunters in WoW im hoping these guys have great movement/CC and are an all around annoyance with how difficult they are to catch up with.
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    I'm just hoping for a big skill tree (for all classes) but only a limited number of picks. So you'd have to pick a "style" as it were. Mobile will be costing you some damage, do you want to take the C-C but not get that final skill. Choices like this.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif


  • DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    LordPax wrote: »
    Agree with OP - As well, I would love to see the differences in "tab targeting" versus "action targeting".

    And, while skills are still in development, some level of what to expect for the class. Is this an "Elf archer Legolas that spams bow abilities" class, or "Soldier/Hunter capable of using bow and sword, who prefers traps and nature like Aragorn"?

    I wouldn't mind if the sub-classes influence what style you get. As in Ranger/Fighter (Strider) could be the Aragorn/In place/traps style, Ranger/Tank (Sentinel) could be some kind of Heavy Bow or Crossbow type, Ranger/Ranger (Hawkeye) is a middle ground and some other combo like Ranger/Rogue (Scout) is a faster play style. Mix/max/change the combos however you like but that would give the archetype some variety.
  • Diamaht wrote: »
    Using the classic Legolas example he quickly moves from one attack to the next smoothly and naturally.

    I never really liked how he could fire a continuous stream of arrows without even drawing back the bow string. Never looks right.
  • Personally if there is any auto attack in tab that track and always hits people. They need to have an option where as you put points into your weapon skill try you can go with soft lock or free aim. Both having their own advantages as well.
  • BarabBarab Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If rangers are highly mobile cc ranged dps classes in a mmo that offers pvp not only will they be the number one gank class but they will also represent over 50% of the player base. Might as well just give them stealth, self healing, and immunity to all cc as well.
    Hammers High !! Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers
  • Barab wrote: »
    If rangers are highly mobile cc ranged dps classes in a mmo that offers pvp not only will they be the number one gank class but they will also represent over 50% of the player base. Might as well just give them stealth, self healing, and immunity to all cc as well.

    one shot from stealth with hit scan tab target is a joke for me and my guild lol
  • DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Barab wrote: »
    If rangers are highly mobile cc ranged dps classes in a mmo that offers pvp not only will they be the number one gank class but they will also represent over 50% of the player base. Might as well just give them stealth, self healing, and immunity to all cc as well.

    The first half of your comment describes hunters in WoW, they are about 9 percent of the player base.
  • BarabBarab Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Diamaht wrote: »
    Barab wrote: »
    If rangers are highly mobile cc ranged dps classes in a mmo that offers pvp not only will they be the number one gank class but they will also represent over 50% of the player base. Might as well just give them stealth, self healing, and immunity to all cc as well.

    The first half of your comment describes hunters in WoW, they are about 9 percent of the player base.

    That may be true in a tread mill on rails without a real open world pvp scope MMO but in sandbox MMORPG with pvp mechanics that includes a range class with great mobility, good cc, and good dps it has great potential to create major pvp balance issues.
    Hammers High !! Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers
  • Diamaht wrote: »
    Barab wrote: »
    If rangers are highly mobile cc ranged dps classes in a mmo that offers pvp not only will they be the number one gank class but they will also represent over 50% of the player base. Might as well just give them stealth, self healing, and immunity to all cc as well.

    The first half of your comment describes hunters in WoW, they are about 9 percent of the player base.

    what about l2 where every1 is an archer or a mage?
  • DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Depraved wrote: »
    Diamaht wrote: »
    Barab wrote: »
    If rangers are highly mobile cc ranged dps classes in a mmo that offers pvp not only will they be the number one gank class but they will also represent over 50% of the player base. Might as well just give them stealth, self healing, and immunity to all cc as well.

    The first half of your comment describes hunters in WoW, they are about 9 percent of the player base.

    what about l2 where every1 is an archer or a mage?

    Well thats an example of poor balancing. Reasonably well balanced games like gw2 and wow have plenty of pvp and the bow classes compete alongside all the other classes, even classic with open world pvp is fine.

    You are traumatized by ranged classes and thats great! Means we are doing our jobs.

    Just remember, if the bowman don't get you, the casters will for sure.
  • BarabBarab Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Diamaht wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »
    Diamaht wrote: »
    Barab wrote: »
    If rangers are highly mobile cc ranged dps classes in a mmo that offers pvp not only will they be the number one gank class but they will also represent over 50% of the player base. Might as well just give them stealth, self healing, and immunity to all cc as well.

    The first half of your comment describes hunters in WoW, they are about 9 percent of the player base.

    what about l2 where every1 is an archer or a mage?

    Well thats an example of poor balancing. Reasonably well balanced games like gw2 and wow have plenty of pvp and the bow classes compete alongside all the other classes, even classic with open world pvp is fine.

    You are traumatized by ranged classes and thats great! Means we are doing our jobs.

    Just remember, if the bowman don't get you, the casters will for sure.

    It's clear do not know me or my people if you think am concerned about ranged balance due to being traumatized from range classes in past mmos. Good luck to you and all one million of you Legolas types with your uber ranger class ideas.

    Hammers High !! Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers
  • Barab wrote: »
    Diamaht wrote: »
    Depraved wrote: »
    Diamaht wrote: »
    Barab wrote: »
    If rangers are highly mobile cc ranged dps classes in a mmo that offers pvp not only will they be the number one gank class but they will also represent over 50% of the player base. Might as well just give them stealth, self healing, and immunity to all cc as well.

    The first half of your comment describes hunters in WoW, they are about 9 percent of the player base.

    what about l2 where every1 is an archer or a mage?

    Well thats an example of poor balancing. Reasonably well balanced games like gw2 and wow have plenty of pvp and the bow classes compete alongside all the other classes, even classic with open world pvp is fine.

    You are traumatized by ranged classes and thats great! Means we are doing our jobs.

    Just remember, if the bowman don't get you, the casters will for sure.

    It's clear do not know me or my people if you think am concerned about ranged balance due to being traumatized from range classes in past mmos. Good luck to you and all one million of you Legolas types with your uber ranger class ideas.

    I feel like this was secretly written by a bear. 🧸
  • DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One


    I feel like this was secretly written by a bear. 🧸

    And one that truly cares.

Sign In or Register to comment.