Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

A story like no other.. in an MMO.. NEVER BEFORE DONE

Hey, you, you're finally awake..

The beginning of our journey. In this world. Would require some very interesting back story implications. Or will we need one?

Like every game that starts with no past we are left with only wandering and building on what mechanics we have to start with. (ie. Rust)

In an MMORPG, which I can only assume is the genre of Ashes of Creation, we would need a backstory to better understand our purpose as the main protagonist.

If this is not the case, and we are merely cogs in a wheel to help mechanics move forward. What is our purpose in this world? I am given the idea then we are in an advanced version of Age of Empires only without the advantage of top down viewing and end up being one of the citizens to whomever gains control of the city. An economics major's dream study simulation.

So.. what sort of story will Ashes bring us? the freedom to choose pre-determined quests in any order? an unlimited fetch quest nightmare? an exploration story to force us into regions we would normally go to before even meeting the person giving this exploration quest? haha (that's me) These will no doubt be in there. As we need to understand the rules of this world and have some basic ideas of the progression of mechanics.

These are all well and understandable, but not different from what we experienced before. So I'm gonna suggest something radical.. something new.. something completely so bonkers it might just make sense for every game to start doing this with every new MMO to come out.

GIVE THE PLAYERS QUEST CREATION.

Quest Creation: It is the ability to give players a new UI to work in. A better way for players to now produce content in your game. (Increasing the life of your player base.)
QC requires players to choose:
- A defined set of points for map exploration.
- A set number of creatures/items within those quest map points.
- A boss/item selection at the end point.
- A set script item for typing in the details of why the players are doing what they are doing at each point.
- and a reward, provided by the player creating the quest, to be given for completion.

The idea is that, the more you progress in the game the more creatures/items/bosses and places you can add to the quests you create, the community can give a rating for the quest, and the developers can award quest givers for being the most liked and most successful.

This can add unique player experiences and new lore for the community to establish in the world of AOC.

Add this to the existing story, if any, and suddenly you have challenges that inspire people to explore more in your game, to unlock harder creatures, experience player created stories, and competitions that are unique and seasonal.

Does this sound like a fun idea for the future of gaming?

let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
KolDraco

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The amount of work this would take to 'not be abusable', as compared to the standard amount done by a slightly external site for RolePlayers or similar, is problematic.

A game with sufficient working internal systems gives the sort of person who consistently creates 'good quests' a way to do this without opening it up to abuse, so while it's quite interesting conceptually, like most things, it would have to be curated too much, which would then lead to 'favored creators' by the Devs even more than already, and then...

DRAMA.

Basically, a robust enough game usually has this already, you just have to know where to find the community that engages with it, whether through their communication channel, or their website. Here's an example of one.

https://inara.cz/elite/squadron-mission/1568/15938/
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm willing to bet the first quest made will be

gather materials for caravan
    caravan goods to this location
    *success*
    but really, get robbed
    success!

lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Any player can do this now by making up any quest and posting it to the bulletin board in the local tavern. Just post "Kill 200 bugbears and give me the drops and I'll give you 150 gold" or "Pk that sob Tau and I will pay you 500 gold, screenshot of you standing over body required".

If you are a player known to be honest and if the deal is decent, you will get takers.
  • Star Wars Galaxies had a fascinating quest creation framework, up to selling the custom quests on the market.

I believe Steven mentioned being inspired by SWG, so one can only hope.

In fact, let me pop a question real quick for the livestream...
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    KolDraco wrote: »
    In an MMORPG, which I can only assume is the genre of Ashes of Creation, we would need a backstory to better understand our purpose as the main protagonist.

We aren't all the main protagonist.

How would that even work - having 10k main protagonists on the server at the same time?
  • I feel like this was a thing in Neverwinter - you could make instanced quests that people could try and if they liked it enough they could give you a "tip".
    Ok I checked and yes it is called The Foundry - I remember making a few of them and enjoying it a lot. The game gave you all the assets to put where you like and you made up your own dialogue and what not. I think if this is something they do later on it would be a pretty cool addition.
    Since it would be in it's own "area" of the game it would not really do any interference to the main game or it's story.
  • tautau wrote: »
    " or "Pk that sob Tau and I will pay you 500 gold, screenshot of you standing over body required".

Unfortunately there are no bodies in AoC. We all turn to ash upon death. You're gonna get scammed :D

Sig-ult-2.png
  • I think maybe a simple thing like Guild Wars 2 has, where you select a background for yourself could be neat.

It could give you some different prompts from NPC dialogue and different reactions from NPCs in town etc. maybe compounded by race or religion.

Besides that, this world being as mutable as it is and driven by player actions, the main story won't likely be a strong focus.

It's hard to have a strong coherent story when the cities they're supposed to involve come and go, and NPCs follow the Node's development as, as do Raids and dungeons.

So there will be a main story yes, but your role in it is merely: you're a "insters race" from Sanctum, finally returned to Verra and you now get to do whatever you want and be whomever you please.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • I agree that story will most likely not be the focus of the game. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

I love Guild Wars 2 and played it upon release up to a few years ago. The generic story stuff was interesting for conversation flare indeed and the blank slate hero worked well for the commander title you get.
    Noaani wrote: »
    KolDraco wrote: »

We aren't all the main protagonist.

How would that even work - having 10k main protagonists on the server at the same time?

- A lot of stories where your title as main protagonist is only known to the NPC's. To them (NPC's) no other players exist in the world, but your character, at the point of interaction with the NPC. So as players we are all considered the main protagonist that fills the same role for them. This is done in DC Universe, Guild Wars2, World of Warcraft, and most MMORPG games.
    I feel like this was a thing in Neverwinter - you could make instanced quests that people could try and if they liked it enough they could give you a "tip".
    Ok I checked and yes it is called The Foundry - I remember making a few of them and enjoying it a lot. The game gave you all the assets to put where you like and you made up your own dialogue and what not. I think if this is something they do later on it would be a pretty cool addition.
    Since it would be in it's own "area" of the game it would not really do any interference to the main game or it's story.

- That's pretty sweet. I never did play Neverwinter but I heard good things. I might be biased in that the graphics never pulled me in and the combat system may have also been archaic by the time I even looked its way.
    Kreinster wrote: »
    Star Wars Galaxies had a fascinating quest creation framework, up to selling the custom quests on the market.

I believe Steven mentioned being inspired by SWG, so one can only hope.

In fact, let me pop a question real quick for the livestream...

- This is exciting to hear he has seen this type of system. I don't know if I like the idea of selling quests rather than just having them open community as if it was presented like a Mario maker list. I think having the unlock able content being the huge time factor in this system would be the cost you pay for entering into it as a creator.
    Natasha wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet the first quest made will be

gather materials for caravan
    caravan goods to this location
    *success*
    but really, get robbed
    success!

- Everyone loves a good twist in every story! Haha if this was an applicable function to a PvE server that would be cool as well. You do point out a flaw in this system that it can be exploited in such a way. If PvP is prevalent in all aspects of the game every quest is open to losing potential goods at the end. But it also means those people cared enough to try the quest, or follow you to the end of the quest. As a quest creator that could be considered a Win?.. lol
    Azherae wrote: »
    The amount of work this would take to 'not be abusable', as compared to the standard amount done by a slightly external site for RolePlayers or similar, is problematic.

A game with sufficient working internal systems gives the sort of person who consistently creates 'good quests' a way to do this without opening it up to abuse, so while it's quite interesting conceptually, like most things, it would have to be curated too much, which would then lead to 'favored creators' by the Devs even more than already, and then...

DRAMA.

Basically, a robust enough game usually has this already, you just have to know where to find the community that engages with it, whether through their communication channel, or their website. Here's an example of one.

https://inara.cz/elite/squadron-mission/1568/15938/

- you bring up a fair point that it can be curated to a degree. but so is every PvP interaction. From gear, to animation timing, to point adjustment, and so on and so on. What I know, is that if quests like any other require the list I have provided in this post. It is a very controlled type of questing simulation. lists of creatures and items for rewards are placed in points on the map once the quest is accepted. Rewards, would be obvious mob and boss experience points, and the items selected and donated by the quest creator from their own inventory. This is seen before you select the quest so you know what you are fighting for. The text applied to the quest creator options are purely for checkpoint items (killing the designated mob or collecting designated item) and for role playing flair of the quest given and the quest completion. This creates a new type of fame for creating good content. It gets recognition from those who would be deserving of its complexity and immersion into this world. It also lets the devs sit back and experience the creative minds of individuals who are dedicated and wildly more creative than they thought.

I'm loving the comments everyone! I appreciate your feedback and thoughts.

Also, if you guys are on the live questionnaire with the devs. think of these topics and ask them for me!

Cheers,
    KolDraco