How should AoC deal with streamers/youtubers uploading DPS parsing videos using 3rd party programs?

13»

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    Trackers /dps meters should be banned instantly if it is clear someone is using it no matter who it is.

Also should be clear that will be their stance on things., If you bring valid proof a guild is doing that, they all should be banned for the ones using the programs if the proof is clear. Video, pictures, text and voice of people admitting to using it.

No leeway just instant ban. And if they want to appeal let them try.

Cant ban it unless it is directly interacting with the game software in a way that is specifically against the ToS.

However, I agree that people breaking valid rules should have some form of action taken on their account.

They can ban for any reason you aren't safe.

This is one of those things that is only true if you aren't willing to fight it.
  • Noaani wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    Trackers /dps meters should be banned instantly if it is clear someone is using it no matter who it is.

Also should be clear that will be their stance on things., If you bring valid proof a guild is doing that, they all should be banned for the ones using the programs if the proof is clear. Video, pictures, text and voice of people admitting to using it.

No leeway just instant ban. And if they want to appeal let them try.

Cant ban it unless it is directly interacting with the game software in a way that is specifically against the ToS.

However, I agree that people breaking valid rules should have some form of action taken on their account.

They can ban for any reason you aren't safe.

This is one of those things that is only true if you aren't willing to fight it.

You don't own mmorpgs you license them you can be banned for anything or refused to play it.
  • Let me speak in a language you can understand with the game you licensed.

e5j45ip9ze8v.png

You can be banned for anything, your futile attempts to trick people to use trackers and saying they are allowed when you know they aren't is not going to work.
    edited September 2022
    Let me speak in a language you can understand with the game you licensed.

e5j45ip9ze8v.png

You can be banned for anything, your futile attempts to trick people to use trackers and saying they are allowed when you know they aren't is not going to work.

That kind of thing is like those "warranty void if removed" stickers you find on many consumer electronics.

Technically speaking, your warranty is not subject to that sticker being present. However, they can claim it is to see if you are willing to fight.

Putting those stickers on goods gives manufacturers fewer warranty fixes that they need to pay for because many people believe what the sticker says, and often wont even try to get a warranty repair if the sticker is removed or damaged.

The companies are only going to repair your device under warranty if you make it clear you will fight for it - at which point they know they have no legal grounds to stand on despite what the sticker (technically an agreement akin to a ToS) says. Just because it says it and you agree to it, doesnt mean it holds up.

Same deal here. Intrepid are able to put things like that in their ToS. There are no regulations stopping anyone from putting anything in any agreement - the regulations only cover what can be enforced.

Most people will not argue if they are thrown that when questioning a ban - this is why companies put clauses like this in place. However, if you make it clear that you will fight said ban, they know they have no grounds to ban you (banning someone must be for specific behavior that is outlined before purchase l).

While the regulations around this obviously differ a bit around the world, the above is fairly normal for much of the world (with a few notable exceptions).

Edit to add; that clause can actually be used to prevent someone using your product if they use it to break the paw, in a way that your ToS doesn't specifically include. For this reason, it is worth having in a ToS, and I wouldn't actually begrudge a company for having it - I would merely judge how they attempt to use it.
  • PappasaltPappasalt Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    WHAT?! lol
  • Are we talking about 3rd party software that injects into the game? That's cheating and I doubt anyone would stream/youtube with those on.
    If however it's just tools (e.g. Google Sheets calculator is a tool) to help minmax and don't directly take information from the game, it cannot be prevented and shouldn't be penalized.
    edited September 2022
    hleV wrote: »
    Are we talking about 3rd party software that injects into the game? That's cheating and I doubt anyone would stream/youtube with those on.
    If however it's just tools (e.g. Google Sheets calculator is a tool) to help minmax and don't directly take information from the game, it cannot be prevented and shouldn't be penalized.

If it injects in to the game, it is probably against the ToS.

We are talking about stand alone tools.

Everything after that fact being pointed out is just people being all butthurt that they cant get their way, and so claiming those of us using said tools are cheating, breaking the rules and should be banned.

There *shouldn't* be any more to say on the matter other than "these are stand alone tools and so are perfectly fine to use", but since a few people are so upset over that fact, they want to drag it out to be more than it is.

Obviously, I'm not going to leave their bullshit unanswered.
    edited September 2022
    Sathrago wrote: »
    giphy.gif

I've spent far too much time over the last few years dealing with a ToS issue we have at my work. It takes longer to get a ToS approved for the work my team does (rapid product iteration) than it takes us to actually develop and produce products.

I've spent the last few years working with our legal team to find a way to speed the process up, and as such have learned more about ToS and EULA bullshit in the process than I would have ever wanted to know - including the bullshit added to many contracts that have no basis at all to be enforced or acted upon in any way, but are simply there to try and influence signee behavior.