Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Be really honest with what was shown yesterday about the Ranger.

MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Hot opinions are sometimes not so good or sometimes very good.
It's been a day to meditate on what was shown yesterday in the monthly update.

jlpicz6yp8ry.png
9dhaah46d72p.png
xbo6p2r4uh01.png

What is your honest opinion about the Alpha Two Basic Ranged Weapon Attack Update?

For my part I think Intrepid has a correct vision of what it wants to do (that very important), the Ranger combat was very fluid, very constant, with a lot of potential for movement, vision, repositioning in attack or defense, it was not a crazy combat that can not be controlled but it was shown as something more fluid, controllable, a good start for that class.

However I also felt in some moments the lack of explosiveness that the Action can give to a class as explosive and fast as the Ranger.
https://youtu.be/8VGI6rn57F8?t=407
At times I felt the AoC Ranger was more assertive but a bit slower in his movements.

By this I don't mean that AoC's combat should look like BDO's, not at all, if AoC has a direction and is sure of it, it should go ahead because I want AoC to be AoC, to grow and improve as it sees fit and not be a copy of something else but be an improvement of itself that is inspired by many things.

Conclusion:
It's a good start for the Ranger, I felt good to see her especially in the fluidity of her combat and I understand that not even 40% of the Ranger's capabilities, moves and combat style has been shown, so I'll wait to have a clear perspective of the Ranger when Intrepid has improved those details that the Ranger lacks. .

A big thanks to the Intrepid developers for the effort to create something that they believe in and keep striving to improve it, thank you very much for your effort, passion and dedication.

Thanks for showing the elves =)
EDym4eg.png

Comments

• NiKrNiKr Member
    edited October 2022
    I mean, to me, that aerial attack looked way more "explosive" than some sliding around like a breakdancer.

The speed of the combat seems good and they've shown perfect representation of Ranger's skillset. There was a long slow but powerful charged shot, a super fast low but rising dmg triple shot and that aerial attack showed the "explosiveness" and the potential for mobility.

Imo this was a much much better showcase of what the archetype will be than what we saw with the previous combat showcase.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's a weird request because what was shown isn't necessarily a representation of "Ranger", so I think I agree with your last paragraph the most.
    It's a good start for the Ranger and I understand that not even 40% of the Ranger's capabilities, moves and combat style have been shown, so I will wait to have a clear perspective on the Ranger when Intrepid has improved those details that the Ranger lacks.

Any unfinished thing will obviously appear unfinished.

I do have a thought though. Steven kept saying things like 'wanting to hold back some stuff until Alpha-2', but I thought about it and I realized... I really don't know why one would do this at all?

Alpha-2 isn't REALLY a 'product being sold' that they need to maintain some hype for. If there was more to show, anything that was mostly finished, but could influence our opinion for the better and improve feedback, I don't really understand why one wouldn't show it.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• What we saw was directional, not absolute. My honest opinion: it’s a great direction, keep going.

I didn’t take it as ‘This is the Ranger.’
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Azherae wrote: »
    Alpha-2 isn't REALLY a 'product being sold' that they need to maintain some hype for. If there was more to show, anything that was mostly finished, but could influence our opinion for the better and improve feedback, I don't really understand why one wouldn't show it.
    I think it's the classic "most people will never understand that it's an alpha". As much as we and/or Intrepid want to show the most current development of things, the masses, that would see those things on smth like Asmon's stream or those who just get recommended clips from the stream, would just complain that "this shit looks unfinished and/or broken". Especially when you consider that most clips are usually torn out of Steven's double, or sometimes triple, context of "THIS IS AN ALPHA, YOU DUMBFUCKS, WE'RE TESTING UNFINISHED SHIT" (I'm obviously paraphrasing here, but the core message of his prefaces is the same).

Never underestimate how truly dumb the masses could be.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »
    I think it's the classic "most people will never understand that it's an alpha". As much as we and/or Intrepid want to show the most current development of things, the masses, that would see those things on smth like Asmon's stream or those who just get recommended clips from the stream, would just complain that "this shit looks unfinished and/or broken". Especially when you consider that most clips are usually torn out of Steven's double, or sometimes triple, context of "THIS IS AN ALPHA, YOU DUMBFUCKS, WE'RE TESTING UNFINISHED SHIT" (I'm obviously paraphrasing here, but the core message of his prefaces is the same).

Never underestimate how truly dumb the masses could be.

Right, I get that, but why treat it as 'holding some stuff back for Alpha-2' rather than just saying 'some other stuff isn't ready yet'?

The first reason I think this is confusing/bad is because it implies this is all we are going to get to see before Alpha-2 of the Ranger, for example. If Alpha-2 is close, fine, if not, eh?

I guess it could just be Steven going 'well I'll use this reasoning', but I think it's potentially a loss. If you had something good to show, then I say show it. They went into talking about Lore instead, which, honestly, I'd massively prefer that they definitely did not do. Why spoil 'story' stuff but be concerned about 'showing off Ranger Mechanics'? There certainly would be some development done on those between now and Alpha-2 anyway.

I guess It could be gearing up to another round of "Archetype Reveals" going into that, or maybe trying to make sure they focus the feedback down a bit, it just seems like a really strange reason to give for 'not showing us something'.

People already think things are unfinished or broken. That's never going to stop happening. But now, those who could explain potential ways they aren't broken, have no way to do that. If Intrepid doesn't know for certain either, it is what it is, though.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• I expected a bigger difference between the short and long bow. Both having the same actions makes them too similar.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Imo, they've nailed it. I love the vision and the direction they're going in.

Remember, this wasn't a full class showcase. I'm fairly confident there are a lot more "action" based abilities, that require you to aim in some way, like that 3rd ability showcased.

BDO's Archer is just a flashy class with a bunch of AoEs, like most classes in that game.
  • Azherae wrote: »
    Right, I get that, but why treat it as 'holding some stuff back for Alpha-2' rather than just saying 'some other stuff isn't ready yet'?
    I think it's just Steven's manner of speaking. Maybe it comes from his salesman days or just his own inherent character, but he quite often likes to hype stuff up even if that stuff isn't all that hype. And in cases like these, he uses language that could be seen as teasing smth or just withholding info to build anticipation.

I personally think that the team just said "we're not ready to show that yet, but we're working on it", and with previously stated promises of "archetypes will be shown before/during alpha2" (iirc), I'd assume that in Steven's mind anything that they're not showing presently will be definitely shown around alpha2. And depending on how soon that is, he might be keeping stuff for it just so that they could show it off as one big package to test. And I personally agree with the theories that allpha2 is way closer than we might think. Or, at the very least, Intrepid's very good at showing just enough stuff at just the right angle to lead us onto that kind of belief.
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2022
    combat is looking amazing - 100% on the right direction

but here, let me help yall with this link
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • I think the best middle point for all to be happy would be as follow:

- Basic attack = tab targeted
    - Skills (Snipe, Aerial Assault, templated attacks) = must be aimed in action camera mode

This way you keep a basic tab target core and still have some (or all) stronger skills requiring some level of mouse dexterity.

A hard lock being on with the reticle, would then only allow a skill to hit the intended target when 2 different players or mobs may be overlapping to some extent (basically not allowing the systems to erroneously select a different target when they're both within the reticle)
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • As someone that prefers tab target this looked very good
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • DummoDummo Member
    edited October 2022
    [Deleted]
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • LullabaeLullabae Member
    edited October 2022
    Asgerr wrote: »
    I think the best middle point for all to be happy would be as follow:

- Skills (Snipe, Aerial Assault, templated attacks) = must be aimed in action camera mode

This way you keep a basic tab target core and still have some (or all) stronger skills requiring some level of mouse dexterity.

So you want a game with aimed camera action mode for basically everything?

There you are : https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/apex-legends

In some obscure words we call it “FPS”.
  • I was really happy. I just want to see more... Or some kind of idea of how many different abilities/augments they are looking to implement for the launch of Alpha Two. I've mentioned it elsewhere but I really would like to see more regarding the different secondary classes. How are they going to make each of them interesting?
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited October 2022
    Lullabae wrote: »

Checks my idea. Reads your conclusion.... How can you be so blatantly incorrect about what I've said? You've read it. You've quoted it. How can you come out of it with something I haven't said?

This boggles my mind, especially since I'm in the camp of Tab target mostly, but I do find that some action camera aiming would be cool.

If you need further details on my idea here are some:

No headshots, cause that's stupid, and lag would render that impossible to land.

Hard-lock for action camera doesn't work entirely as a tab target, but if there are 2 mobs or players overlapping somehow, have the skill hit the intended target.

Basically have action camera for skills that would require it, such as templated attacks (line AoE, Conal attacks etc) and ones where it makes sense for the fantasy, such as Snipe. Not much of a snipe if you 360 no scope it from tab target.

And hey, if we wanna play the petty game, one could even reply to you with: What? So you just want a game where you select a target and then just spam left click whilst you chug mountain dew and doritos?

See how reductive and dumb that is? Do better
    Sig-ult-2.png
    edited October 2022

This boggles my mind, especially since I'm in the camp of Tab target mostly, but I do find that some action camera aiming would be cool.

You really don’t need to write that much when your entire message is summarised in this quote.

And no I disagree.

Yet I say it once more, there are plenty of games that fulfil perfectly your wish, so go ahead, try Fortnite.

It ain’t that bad.

Here’s the download link : https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/download

De nada.
  • Lullabae wrote: »

You really don’t need to write that much when your entire message is summarised in this quote.

And no I disagree.

Yet I say it once more, there are plenty of games that fulfil perfectly your wish, so go ahead, try Fortnite.

It ain’t that bad.

De nada.

What the fuck are you talking about? XD It's clear to me you have zero experience with any action game MMO. Some of them have been really good. Not New World though. That one sucked. But stuff like Tera had really interesting Ranged combat, with aimed shots (though just basically needing to get the reticle anywhere near the target worked, and with no headshots) as well as mouse-over lock on for certain skills like multi-arrow strikes etc.

Hunter in WoW is cool and has a lot of nice tools that make it interesting, but you never really feel like you are using a bow/rifle/crossbow. Rather you have a stick that happens to do damage at a distance.

In FFXIV, I love Bard (the archer class) but you don't really have manual basic attacks. Auto-attacks exist, but they happen on its own and your focusing on the rotation of your skills, which are all tab targeted. And it's really fun. But that's also how the entirety of the game functions. Using a skill will auto-face you in the direction of the enemy etc.

In Guild Wars 2, I like action camera for melee, but my god does it suck for a Ranger. I get no feeling of control over what I'm shooting at or if I'm even landing any of the shots on the desired target or on some other target which may or may not have been locked on in some way.

BDO.... people rave about it's combat. I don't get it. It's not even a good beat-em up type game IMO. And the Ranger feels like Apex Legends, aka, Sliding Simulator.

So with all those experiences, I want tab-targeting for the majority of my time shooting arrows, and that's your basic attack (clicking left mouse button or Q - which btw, still feels weird as a key to press). Other skills like Snipe would benefit from being aimed as it's a fucking sniper shot!!! If you just 360 no scope the Snipe Skill from tab target, it's not quite a Snipe shot is it?

So again, tell me how I'm saying that I want the combat to be a full FPS? And make sure you actually read what I said this time. Cause it feels like you're scanning the text for a single mention of the word "action" to then go off and tell people to play something else.

Which is ironic considering your account is a month old, and I've been here for nearly 2 and already bought into the game.

But again, tell me how I want to play Fortnite (a game I've never played nor intend to if I were in the mood for Battle Royales)
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    What we saw was directional, not absolute. My honest opinion: it’s a great direction, keep going.

I didn’t take it as ‘This is the Ranger.’

Completely agree
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I thought it looked really good. Call it what you want, "enhanced tab" or hybrid. It's not your grandma's tab target. Good first look.

Obviously if you were hoping for a more fps/aiming type of gameplay, you're disappointed. But some of that may be coming. Or not. Either way, what they showed look very good for what it was and where it's at in development.
    edited October 2022

And no I disagree.

It ain’t that bad.

De nada.

So again, tell me how I'm saying that I want the combat to be a full FPS?

I quote myself,

It’s called sarcasm, you clearly missed the point, took it on the face value and then started your big speech here as if it was your cover letter.

And yet no matter what you said, we will always disagree each other, I disagree with your second point here,

Claiming everybody will be happy with your statement.

Which is terribly wrong by the way.

So move on, and keep your point of view for yourself along with few of people that agree with you.

This way everybody will be happy.

Cheers 🍻.
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hot opinions are sometimes not so good or sometimes very good.
    It's been a day to meditate on what was shown yesterday in the monthly update.

jlpicz6yp8ry.png
    9dhaah46d72p.png
    xbo6p2r4uh01.png

What is your honest opinion about the Alpha Two Basic Ranged Weapon Attack Update?

For my part I think Intrepid has a correct vision of what it wants to do (that very important), the Ranger combat was very fluid, very constant, with a lot of potential for movement, vision, repositioning in attack or defense, it was not a crazy combat that can not be controlled but it was shown as something more fluid, controllable, a good start for that class.

However I also felt in some moments the lack of explosiveness that the Action can give to a class as explosive and fast as the Ranger.
    https://youtu.be/8VGI6rn57F8?t=405

At times I felt the AoC Ranger was more assertive but a bit slower in his movements.

By this I don't mean that AoC's combat should look like BDO's, not at all, if AoC has a direction and is sure of it, it should go ahead because I want AoC to be AoC, to grow and improve as it sees fit and not be a copy of something else but be an improvement of itself that is inspired by many things.

It's a good start for the Ranger and I understand that not even 40% of the Ranger's capabilities, moves and combat style have been shown, so I will wait to have a clear perspective on the Ranger when Intrepid has improved those details that the Ranger lacks.

Hey.

It's a start, I'm one to believe that while influences from previous titles in regard to development are fine; when it becomes too apparent it detracts from their own creation.

With that said the heavy influence from GW1 and GW2 were too noticeable, if it was subtle that is fine. I prefer IS rely on their own brilliance they have too much for this industry not to squander it.

Impassioned players are at the danger of being myopic, it's important to remember that. Especially when they overestimate themselves when it comes to perceiving their own knowledge and ability in a genre. However, if people like what they like, that's answer is more than appropriate if they remember that an emotionally truthful and intelligent answer is not always able to be expressed in terms of data logic and engineering.

In regard to the art style, I do not think the combats art flow matches the world they're building. Over the top animations like that big flip or the hammer from the melee reveal are out of place in with their artistic design they've presented in the rest of the world. It's detracting from the setting of Verra.

I would say that I'm absolutely unsure of what the IS teams is calling hybrid, I'm someone who is a bit more defined in absolute sense. Their system looks very incomplete and will take a long time to finish developing. In further developing their hybrid I would like the same effort and weight across the tab target and action combat, if they're going to engineer the tab portion of the hybrid system well, then it is not unreasonable to want defined, crisp action combat that is well engineered too.

To me that is on the very straight forward and simple side of things, free-aiming abilities without any aim assists or soft targeting. If a player hits, they hit. If they miss, they miss. We don't need over the top and super advanced solutions, let action be action, let tab be tab with seamless flow between the two for those of us who can toggle constantly between the two.

Cheers.

• SerithisSerithis Member
    edited October 2022
    All I know is that spellcasters are going to want some kind of windshield to knock away those arrow projectiles from melting them
  • Lullabae wrote: »

And no I disagree.

It ain’t that bad.

De nada.

Typical all mmorpgs should be tab target, action combat is a fps game, I want a easy game so people can't be better than me and we click buttons and i throw gear at them.

It takes a small handful to try to regress progression of mmorpgs like they think they are in the right like you lmao. Mmorpgs have always worked towards action combat since WoW.

And no a action game isn't a FPS. Maybe try playing other games besides tab target mmorpgs.

People actually calling action games FPS like dragons dogma is the height of just saying some stupid nonsense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYbH25f36Qg

• NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I don't think it should ever be required to manually switch between tab and action mode to use all the skills of a class. That would be cumbersome and clunky. Even an automatic temporary switch while using the skill would likely feel bad. I would be fine testing it, but my guess is going back and forth between modes a lot during combat isn't a good time.
  • It looked very boring, part of it could be that they only showed 3 skills and there was too much basic attack spam, but another part is how generic the animations and sounds are, i just couldnt feel any impact when they use powerful skills, etc...

Add knockbacks/backsteps when used a fully charged shot for example, add sound cues when charging so its easier to tell at which level the charge is, and overall just add a bit more "dramatic" animations.

The jump skill just seemed completely out of place, takes too long to start, its too slow, travels too much distance.

I also feel like its too tab-target focused, but I guess we need more skills and actual playtest to judge that.
  • ItsmeTokiItsmeToki Member
    edited October 2022

https://youtu.be/8VGI6rn57F8?t=407

[/i]
    Thanks for showing the elves =)

Videolink:
    -Looks like the floor is ice
    -Too much slide
    -Unrealistic movements
    -looks like a very solo oriented gameplay
    -combat system looks prone to lags/ latency issues
    -too few variations in attackanimations (everything looks the same)

Aggree with you that AoCs combat shouldnt look like this in any way.
  • I haven't commented in the official thread because, well, I can't really form an opinion with only what was shown, too much is missing for me to really internalize what I saw. I like general feel for the ranger: range and mobility, but no opinions on the mechanics.

I need to either perform the clicking myself or have a very deconstructed, step by step, show down of what's being done. All the auto-attacks being chained as a demonstration is like watching someone playing a fighting game with no idea what are the basic attacks and how you do the combos. It was the same for the melee demo. Give me the controls for a few minutes and I'll get it, but I can't say if I like it or not by just watching it done.

It's the same for the tab vs. point targeting, I'll probably use both for different things or depending the situations calls for, but with the limited skills in the presentation I kind of see the potential, but I it's hard for me to say if I like it or not.

The only think that is clear for me though, I hope mobs will be as mobile and fast acting as the players, dodging and jumping all over, because, from I remember of all the demos, they are way more static than the players as if waiting to be defeated.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I loved it. Besides there weren't any cool downs on the abilities as well plus there a ton more of abilities they didn't show us. Plus the weapon skill tree as well....
    If I wanted to slide around and look like Kung fu theater I would go play the glorified Street Fighter game BDO.
    Everybody wants aimed action combat....until they get into a siege where you can find a target in the crowd....then we'll hear more complaints.
    You're right on target Intrepid. Keep up the good work!