Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Alpha 2 release

Comments

• Options
    Natasha wrote: »
    Nova_terra wrote: »
    I am not sure why it would be expected that Steven has to show everything prior to A2? I mean sure there are definitely things they will touch on but they have 1.5 hours a month to drop info so I doubt we will see everything prior to A2.

We aren't supposed to. Steven has also said alot of things wont be there at the beginning of A2. But will be there by the end of A2.

That's what I am saying.. Maybe I am misunderstanding but it seems like a lot of people are marking a timeframe based on what we "haven't seen" like we have to see everything that is going to be at A2 before they are allowed to start A2. Like I said, seems like they have limited time and are trying to show exciting things to drum up interest. Especially with the recent influx of eyes on this game.
  • Options
    Pure speculation but my hunch is Alpha 2 will consist of about the southern half of the western continent and come around March 2023, you probaly wont see anything major naval wise maybe a non warship boat like a small raft kinda thing to test sailing out but i think we will get the major naval stuff a few months into alpha and we also see some of the eastern continent i suspect too.

That being said the western continent is definetly the one they have completed most of my hunch here is the biomes with a name on them ion there updated world map are the zones that are completed as of release of that map so 4 on the west and 1 on the east, so alpha 2 will consist of the junark, riverlands, and desert at the beginning with maybe some bleed in from the surrounding biomes like the badlands and the tropics (Which was alpha 1 biome so might be close to being done too), steven said 2 months back i beleive with the monthly dev vid, that the alpha 2 will be a significent cross section of the riverlands, desert forest and a bit of the bad lands, he also said he hit a significent internal milestone too ion the same livestream which Could of been the completion of the alpha 2 map biome area or something else now there just waiting for other systems before alpha2. But thats just a theory, an AoC theory :p
  • Options
    Nova_terra wrote: »
    I am not sure why it would be expected that Steven and the team has to show everything prior to A2? I mean sure there are definitely things they will touch on but they have 1.5 hours a month to drop info so I doubt we will see everything prior to A2.

They don't have to. @Natasha is correct as well, Steven has stated that A2 will not be feature complete at launch. But I think it should be pretty well fleshed out. Do we have to see every biome before A2 rolls out? No. But they've asked for our input on the two zones they've showed us so far. Why wouldn't they want it on the others before A2? This same question goes for almost all the things on the list I made.

The only items on my list that I can foresee being pushed out further past the launch of A2 would be the 6th node tier, naval content, and maybe mount abilities and combat. Everything else on that list is pretty essential to experiencing the game as intended within the first couple months.

Now, just because I think the majority of the things on that list should be in place before the launch of A2 doesn't mean Steven needs to show us all of them, you're correct. But again, would Intrepid rather not get at least some feedback on how these systems look/function before they make this grand A2 reveal that they keep saying is oh so important to get right from the beginning?

I dunno, I think we're gonna see quite a few more monthly updates before A2 launches. Maybe we'll get a surprise next summer if they start doubling up on content reveals and community feedback requests soon.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited November 2022
    The progress of the game seems to be good. I think the devs will rest for the holidays. They will resume work around mid-January for a release of the Alpha 2 in March.

Beta 1 : September 2023
    Beta 2 : March 2024
    Release of AOC : September 2024
  • Options
    I think the idea of Alpha 2 launching in March next year is way off. I think 2023 = continued development. 2024 Testing. 2025 = Launch.
  • Options
    July 2023 Alpha 2.
    February 2024 Beta 1.
    June 2024 Beta 2.
    Release of AoC : Ocotober 2024 ( Maybe? )
    It's hard to say what sort of state Steven is prepared to launch AoC in.
    Will it still contain 10% or 20% .... etc of bugs yet to be squashed ?
    I tell you what i know about Dwarf's.
    Very little
  • Options
    Intrepid made it clear they want the game released in a polished state.

They saw very well what happened with New World, Cyberpunk 2077, etc and there's no way they're going to repeat that mistake.

Of course there will be bugs. But as long as they're the exception and not the rule, things will be fine.
  • Options
    LineagerLineager Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    Sengarden wrote: »
    I've been trying to estimate how many monthly updates away we are based on the content goals for A2. I think we still need one update for each of the following:

1-4: The last four zones that haven't been shown yet on the Western continent that A2 is taking place on. Someone please correct me if Steven has already said some of the circled regions won't be in A2:

wc4eh6zjfed6.jpg

5-6: Processing and Crafting Classes

7: Naval Content

8: Updated Caravans

9: Final Node Update, stages four and five, potentially stage six.

10: Mount Abilities / Combat (Might be included in the Processing Class Update)

11-12: Updated Sword and Board Combat and Spellcasting Combat

13-14: Updated Node Sieges + Ruins and Guild Castles + Sieges

15: Updated Freeholds

Some of these things might end up being skipped over or doubled up on as we get closer to A2. Little things would likely be tucked in as extras along the way - the rest of the player-races featured in-game as well as more NPC races, more mount types, the land conservation system, surveying, etc.

Judging by all this A2-confirmed content yet to be shown off to us, I'd say we're unlikely to see A2 drop until the very end of 2023. The studio is still hiring more senior developers in many areas, so if they pick up more employees between now and A2, that could speed up development time as well.

That being said, I'm still hopeful that Steven and the team are sitting on a growing supply of update videos that they've just been hiding from us and are secretly planning some big announcement for next summer. Fingers crossed!

1-4: Riverland will be a biggest biome at Alpha 2, as Steven said that on stream at the end of May, 2022. Other locations probably done, they showed development of desert and even trailer (not cinematic).

5-6. The crafting mechanics here are not hard to develop, just like in old-school MMORPG. They don't have to do anything new, the core mechanics worked for A1. Click here, click there and get the item.

9. Steven replied to this question in mid-July:
    Q. when do you think the team will have node perks and buildings mapped out for all 4 node types?
    A. Those have been completed for a little while now, and are still undergoing implementation and testing (discord)
    From this we udnerstand, that the Metropolis is ready and they are testing it (perks are only at level 6-stage)

10. Actually, I think hardest part here is skill-development. Main archetypes and also augments progression, tons of animations, mechanics. So waiting for that.

11-12. as previously mentioned, we are waiting for a demonstration of combat system.

7, 8, 13, 14, 15 points: One year they are working on that, so probably there these mostly done.

Don't forget A2 at the begining not gonna have all game-mechanics.
    In my humble opinion Alpha 2 comes around July 2023 - Two years after A1:)
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seems like we will have some spot tests similar to the ones before Alpha 1, so...
    Alpha 2 in March 2023 is unlikely.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    Seems like we will have some spot tests similar to the ones before Alpha 1, so...

Steven said at the last AMA: spot-tests for A1 and A2 pachage holders would begin within a few months.

P.S. Watching now the latest episode Theory Forge, where you said AoC will be released in 2025.
  • Options
    Well, 2022 is out. No point in stressing your team around the holidays. Q1-Q2 2023 for spot tests and maybe A2 in Q2 before people want to go on vacation in the summer.

It seems like the launch of A2 will be an all hands on deck kind of thing that will sell some packs.
  • Options
    Lineager wrote: »

This is definitely my hope! I just have a hard time being optimistic about these things. Thanks for the tidbit about the nodes being nearly finished pre-testing.

As for the crafting mechanics, I definitely don't think the processing and crafting will be basic like every other MMO. Basic placeholders were for A1. With the mini-game type stuff that Steven was talking about recently, I feel like they might want feedback on those from the beginning. They need to really "wow" people watching on Twitch and Youtube when A2 launches. Hopefully, those systems will be included in one of the spot tests next Spring and won't take up too much extra time while the team finishes fleshing out the archetypes.
  • Options
    GandalfthegrapeGandalfthegrape Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Don't do alpha 2 until at least late 2023, unless you're really ready, then go ham. You have the time and support now. Don't rush. Breath. Exhale. Breath. Exhale. Once you are ready for alpha 2, wait another month and think about other ways to improve. Beta 2024. Beta 2 late, or early 2025. Release late 2025 or early 2026.

When it drops it obliterate everything. Wow will still be pay to win, with a completely non understandable story, new world still won't have mounts or swimming, and ff14 will still look like halo combat evolved/ og doom and have no good pvp.

My advice tho is leave alpha 2 and beta 2 up for a long period of time so people have something to play. Not like 1 or 2 months but like 6 or 8 months. Let people spend lots of time breaking it, and figuring out what really doesn't work and what does work. Even tho you do lots of iterations lessons you learn from the older tests might still apply to newer iterations.
  • Options
    Sengarden wrote: »

This is definitely my hope! I just have a hard time being optimistic about these things. Thanks for the tidbit about the nodes being nearly finished pre-testing.

As for the crafting mechanics, I definitely don't think the processing and crafting will be basic like every other MMO. Basic placeholders were for A1. With the mini-game type stuff that Steven was talking about recently, I feel like they might want feedback on those from the beginning. They need to really "wow" people watching on Twitch and Youtube when A2 launches. Hopefully, those systems will be included in one of the spot tests next Spring and won't take up too much extra time while the team finishes fleshing out the archetypes.

Sure they gonna work on crafting system and make it more unique, but as you said and Steven told early, they will create mini-games for crafting, so just basic crafting system (click here, than here=item) + mini games, which is probably not so hard to develop, compared to the game.

• Options
    As a long time follower of the project (prior to APOC -> now) I want the game to succeed and want them to take the time they need to make the product we are all hoping for, but my early estimates were way off. sometime right after A1 I thought maybe we would see A2 for Christmas this year which is obviously out the window at this point but in tandem with a post I made a few days ago. I am staying optimistic that the new workflow changes and the fact that they only show an hour or so of content a month that they have some stock that they aren't showing us or isn't "show-worthy" but actually might indicate we are closer to A2 than some of the doom and gloom takes I see.

With that said, I am more than content to wait for a finished product. Whatever that looks like or however long that takes.
  • Options

Steven said at the last AMA: spot-tests for A1 and A2 pachage holders would begin within a few months.

P.S. Watching now the latest episode Theory Forge, where you said AoC will be released in 2025.
    Yeah. Spot testing within a few months means that Alpha 2 "release" in March is unlikely.
    Any final release dates I give right now are mostly me joking.
    Can't have much clue about final release until Alpha 2 ends.
  • Options
    Yeah. Spot testing within a few months means that Alpha 2 "release" in March is unlikely.
    Any final release dates I give right now are mostly me joking.
    Can't have much clue about final release until Alpha 2 ends.

July 2023, wait for this date.
  • Options
    July 2023 for Alpha 2 is a good guess.
  • Options
    D00BYYD00BYY Member
    This aged well
  • Options
    Alpha 2 spot testing Oct-Nov 2023. Alpha 2 launch Dec 2023
  • Options
    Highly unlikely they will launch Alpha 2 before the holidays.
    Because it would mean the devs would have to work fairly tediously during the holidays.
    If they do spot testing in Oct-Nov... there migh be some more spot testing in Dec.
    But, Alpha 2 launch will most likely be mid-Jan - at the earliest.
  • Options
    If it’s launched in Oct/November I’ll be screaming ay hahahaha can I get a “let’s gooooooooo!”
    j2p8mdmovgu9.jpg
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Alpha 2 will launch when it launches.

This will age better.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    They predicted in latest dev update either late this year or early next year
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    Because it would mean the devs would have to work fairly tediously during the holidays.
    If they do spot testing in Oct-Nov... there migh be some more spot testing in Dec.

But you’re not going to play it, right?
  • Options
    So many games to play... whenever AoC comes, it has to compete with other games.
  • Options
    I wager A2 spot testing will be January 2024, with persistent A2 late Q1. However, the dream remains for persistent A2 in Q3 2023.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »

This is the only real answer.

We'll know it's nearly ready to go when they stop selling the Alpha Packs :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

But you’re not going to play it, right?
    I'm going to be testing the Alphas and Betas.

• Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    CROW3 wrote: »

This is the only real answer.

We'll know it's nearly ready to go when they stop selling the Alpha Packs :D

They'll stop selling them when they'll run out.