Iframes and use

2»

Comments

• SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Neurath wrote: »
    Sliding from stand still would look shit.

It would not, but you are free to explain why it would and why they would not have animations inbetween. If you are worried about momentum you can say the same thing about rolling from standing...

Have you tried sliding without running? There is a reason for the army to say 'duck, roll and cover'. The army doesn't say 'slip, slide and shoot'.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Neurath wrote: »

It would not, but you are free to explain why it would and why they would not have animations inbetween. If you are worried about momentum you can say the same thing about rolling from standing...

Have you tried sliding without running? There is a reason for the army to say 'duck, roll and cover'. The army doesn't say 'slip, slide and shoot'.

I challenge you to roll standing up without momentum in real life.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I challenge you to roll standing up without momentum in real life.

Ok now that I've just done that, now what?

The kinetics of a physical roll come from the speed at which the person lowers their upper body and the arc of their head and shoulders, it's just a tucked cartwheel. Ever watched any gymnastics floor exercises? With weapons this would be even easier (the actual rolling part, not the hand positioning).

But more seriously I guess this means the real answer is cartwheeling and backflipping.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

You get momentum with the duck which translates into the roll and then the momentum can either put you back on your feet or into a prone position.

Sliding from a standstill can break your hips or your legs and also get you shot in the face.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • DizzDizz Member
    edited October 2022
    Do a roll is easier than do a slide without moving.

For example:
    https://youtu.be/8drDerhPOj0?t=50
    at 0:49 don't know why it won't jump to the time stamp I set.

I can't find the slide/dash tutorial video but I saw those videos before while learning traditional martial arts just for keep healthy.

But they both not really for dodge/avoid incoming attack because they both expose your weakness in different way if you guys want to talk about in that realistic level, in real combat slightly move/turn you body away or deflect the attack are the better ways to avoid incoming attack to do damage to you in close fight, the most easy way is block it.

But we don't really make the most easy way "block" good in game, why? because it's make things too easy and boring to play, you forget it's a game, the dodge animations don't need to be super real it's just need to base on reality enough and look great/cool.
    A casual follower from TW.
    You get momentum with the duck which translates into the roll and then the momentum can either put you back on your feet or into a prone position.

Sliding from a standstill can break your hips or your legs and also get you shot in the face.

Key words "duck"

So now that you are talking about transitions between standing still and rolling, you should be able to piece together for an animator how they can create transition between standing still and before the motion of them actually sliding...
    I have no qualms with the game looking like a game. The issue I have is the old complaints of 'floaty combat' and in my eyes, random sliding would be more towards the 'floaty combat' side.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    I have no qualms with the game looking like a game. The issue I have is the old complaints of 'floaty combat' and in my eyes, random sliding would be more towards the 'floaty combat' side.

in my eyes sliding works completely fine and has been done in many games... I don't understand why you look at sliding without any transition movements.

Transition is why any animation is not going to look floaty, rolling would look floaty without it.
    Dizz wrote: »

For example:

I can't find the slide/dash tutorial video but I saw those videos before while learning traditional martial arts just for keep healthy.

But they both not really for dodge/avoid incoming attack because they both expose your weakness in different way if you guys want to talk about in that realistic level, in real combat slightly move/turn you body away or deflect the attack are the better ways to avoid incoming attack to do damage to you in close fight, the most easy way is block it.

But we don't really make the most easy way "block" good in game, why? because it's make things too easy and boring to play, you forget it's a game, the dodge animations don't need to be super real it's just need to base on reality enough and look great/cool.

Maybe we can get both.

The point of rolling in most games is to dodge AND move. Games can and do implement lots of evasive mechanics where the character does very little movement, but usually that's not what players want for the game type we're dealing with, cause of things like "AoE boss attacks" and 'Ranged characters kiting you for an entire TTK'.

• All you do for sliding transition is a mini hop with sliding at the end of it do to the momentum, you also can do full chart wheel jumps and add slide at the end of it or just do a cartwheel.

Rolling is literarily the most boring over done animation in existence, but it is the most easy to do.
    Sliding looks floaty because it's not natural. Rolling is natural. A slide happens if you slip and none of our warrior toons should be slipping at all.

Bdo used sliding and its as floaty as a cloud. It doesn't look good and you want sliding to move towards an action combat 'dodge'. There is nothing wrong with a dodge roll with weight. You can even roll in full plate armour in reality.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Sliding looks floaty because it's not natural. Rolling is natural. A slide happens if you slip and none of our warrior toons should be slipping at all.

Bdo used sliding and its as floaty as a cloud. It doesn't look good and you want sliding to move towards an action combat 'dodge'. There is nothing wrong with a dodge roll with weight. You can even roll in full plate armour in reality.

BDO is full sliding and looks good to me for ice skates and has motions that make it feel grounded when you stop that respond right away.

BDO for ranger also has a lot of great movement animations with backflips, side hops, etc that will a lot of flare to it.

The parts where you have ice skates has to do with the combat and how your character responds while being able to move which I doubt AoC will be like that of course. So you simply remove the slide parts and use all the side hops, jumps, chartwheels, etc and it looks completely fine.

There will always be some sliding though in all games unless the go full rooted and make it so you can't control your movement as well. There has to be a point where you have to start to realize you might be a bit picky, what matters is how the combat feels and responds to you.
  • The bdo ranger vid that was posted in one of the threads about combat was floaty as fuck. It was the fucking skating olympics instead of an archer fight. Imo it looks really bad.
  • Watching this again, I'd imagine AoC to be like 1/4 or 1/3 the speed of this. Do to BDO natures of always moving and such it creates more instances of the dodge with ice skates (imo its fine) Though with a lower speed you would mostly get more of the animations of the movements than the ice skate ones.

BDO has a lot of very good animation it is something they do right atleast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM6_i2lLvU0
  • Azherae wrote: »
    Dizz wrote: »

For example:

Maybe we can get both.

The point of rolling in most games is to dodge AND move. Games can and do implement lots of evasive mechanics where the character does very little movement, but usually that's not what players want for the game type we're dealing with, cause of things like "AoE boss attacks" and 'Ranged characters kiting you for an entire TTK'.

Yeah, I sure I knew that I just said it because I don't feel they aware it.

Like what we can see in melee combat update, I feel the dodge animations looks good but still need to be polished, like the way character hold the sword during dash forward/backward makes the weight they put in melee basic attack disappear, and the dodge roll in ranger update I think it's old dodge animations so no comments.
    A casual follower from TW.
    NiKr wrote: »
    The bdo ranger vid that was posted in one of the threads about combat was floaty as fuck. It was the fucking skating olympics instead of an archer fight. Imo it looks really bad.

Opinion?

Same or different?

Same or different?
    Much much better. Still just a bit floaty on that backdash, but the animation shows the weight of the character much better than the bdo one.
    NiKr wrote: »
    The bdo ranger vid that was posted in one of the threads about combat was floaty as fuck. It was the fucking skating olympics instead of an archer fight. Imo it looks really bad.

Opinion?

Same or different?

This is better than BDO's. About the sole thing I hated about BDO's combat is the archer.
    Dark Knight
    ufuyomxeubws.gif
  • Hey all! I hope everyone is having a good week!

I would have to agree, @Mag7spy Forums will indeed blow up for A2. If some topics have folks already spitting from left to right and vice versa, cant wait for when the action starts. All is good, and in the end what we can hope for is a well designed game that provides a fun and enjoyable experience. So folks, keep the feedback coming in, be open-minded and most of all fair.
    Hey @Dizz Yes! I totally agree, no more rolls please! Tons of better cool looking animations to pick from.
  • Hey @Azherae, and others... I wouldnt get too hang over the animations from other games. Each game has their own types of dangers and the mechanics to overcome them. Maybe some will see a movement that is too long/fluent, or a short burst. But these are the avoidance tools available based on the mechanical needs of the encounters. Maybe they started at a normal range, but had to be extended or shorten in order to balance and/or provide the envision experience.

Lets see what direction Intrepid decides to follow.

Have a good one, all!
  • How i want dodge to work

Dodge should never be an iframe, it should be agaist projectile and melee attacks dodging at the right time out of the way of the projectile should be a miss, but if u dodge and arrow still hits you should take dmg

During dodge animation you get a CC immunity and 50% dmg reduction for 1 second (Dodge animation duration) to simulate glancing blows. So if you still get hit by a skill you will still take dmg but not as much if u didnt dodge, dodging could be game changing if u time it for heavy hits or CC but unlike new world u can dodge spam for invunerability.

hitting somone on your screen but doing no dmg cause they dodged iframed feels bad because you can see the hit, hit but it does nothing :D but reduced dmg is fine so a visable hit still does dmg even if not full dmg.

You can also make passives where the dmg is mitigated further too for some classes could be like 80% dmg reduction with some passives or what not.