Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Quest/Npc voiceover? Cutcenes?

Hello Intrepid team and everyone else B)

With the progression of the game at this pace and the complex system but at the same time new innovative game designs and ideas, i think AOC deserves some NPC and Quest voiceovers and maybe even a few cutscenes here and there. I know that this may cost a bit more and that should not be an issue implementing it later down the line once the company grows in revenue, but personally i feel more emerged and engaged in a game where there is voice acting, hell we can even do another donation round like the Kickstarter or a vote count. There shouldnt be much as it may ruin the game, however, there should be sounds from the npc's coming as like in other games like BDO or WoW.

What do you guys think, can this be possible?

Let me know of your experiences and how you feel about voiceacting
Also known as Haqi

p3sotf1s4es9.jpg

Comments

• chasevoker wrote: »
    What do you guys think, can this be possible?

For immersion, all dialogues should be in Dünir language. With subtitles for those who do not speak that.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2022
    The Wiki wrote:
    NPCs will have voice acted audio greetings.[1][2]

Narrated quest lines are not currently planned.[1]
    Adding voice acting into the game at a later point is a fairly cosmetic change.[1]

Is it difficult to add voice acting later? No, it's definitely not... It's a fairly cosmetic change.[1] – Steven Sharif

Voice acting is a fun luxury to have, but it is not only a costly one, but it is also one that takes a lot of logistics.[3] – Steven Sharif

You may wish to review Voice Acting on the wiki.

I personally hope they do not add narration to quest lines or NPC dialog. The voiced NPC greetings is enough to give me a feel for a character's voice, which then carries over into their text dialog.

There are a lot of reasons I feel that this is a bad idea, but most boil down to the fact that getting it right is really hard, getting it wrong is really easy, and on an MMORPG scale, consistency at that level is beyond expensive, while simultaneously increasing the barrier to creating new content and discouraging the developers from updating or tweaking old content to improve it by massively increasing the cost of doing so.
  • IridiannyIridianny Member
    edited October 2022
    I personally do not like cutscenes. One reason is because it feels more like watching a movie than playing a game in terms of how it limits the story I can create while playing.
  • Iridianny wrote: »
    I personally do not like cutscenes. One reason is because it feels more like watching a movie than playing a game in terms of how it limits the story I can create while playing.

FFXIV is an example. Such a disconnected experience.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Haqi_ggHaqi_gg Member
    edited October 2022
    Thank you @SongRune for confirming the NPC's will have greeting dialogs, i mean its not much but still, i know Steven mentioned that the game will most likely not have cutscenes, however, i still think it would be cool if they redesign the voicelines of certain mobs or something once you attack them or maybe some NPC's in some cities have different greeting voicelines depending on their racial influence, i believe having different languages between them may just add more flavor and culture to the races instead of having the ''movie effect''

Also known as Haqi

p3sotf1s4es9.jpg
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    In addition to the information that @SongRune provided, you can also learn about what has been said regarding cutscenes here, on the wiki! https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cinematic_events
    community_management.gif
  • The best approach regarding Voice Work and Cinematics IMO, is quality rather than quantity.

I think it would be great to have an introductory cinematic giving a general overview of the world, its history and your place within it as a player. A bit like the LOTR introduction narrated by Galadriel or this absolutely fantastic Map "introduction" for Warhammer Total War: Mortal Empires.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zveFDWkaTYM&t=141s

These would take huge amounts of effort and resources, so I think for AoC it would be better to go for a quality Narrator over animated 2D images. Like this introductory cinematic from Elden Ring.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_uydEN9Fu7M&t=59s

As for in-game NPC's I just don't think the resources are there to do it properly, so It's probably best to make sure that you have nice audio queues and notification sounds for quests etc. Do it well, or don't do it at all and wait until you are in a position to do it justice.

(Although ideally, you'd have a fully voice acted world)
  • RhordenRhorden Member
    edited October 2022
    @chasevoker

Cutscenes can be good but they have to be limited to moments that can't, or shouldn't, be played by the player. A cutscene that takes away a playable scenario almost always turns out to be a negative for the player. I'm not opposed to cutscenes but for a exemplary experience they need to be judicious about the moments they pick.

I typically don't prefer voice lines because most of the time it's half-assed. They read part of the dialogue and then just stop. Or the voices just don't match the character, are unenthusiastic and the dialogue doesn't match the words. It drags down the game quality. However, when a voice actor nails a character and everything is done right, it can bring the game to life and make a good experience phenomenal. Witcher 3 cast comes to mind but above all of them the dwarf character, Zolton Chivay, is exceptional.
    If IS did decide to do voice overs I don't think any of the typical problems would be an issue given how dedicated they seem to be to producing a quality game. If voice overs do end up on the menu at some point that could add up to a decent chunk of change and a fair amount of time when you consider the amount of lore, number of quests and NPCs. Then multiplied by all the different languages. I don't think it's going to happen.

Also I have to ask, why do people keep wanting to throw more money at this game? The literal 10s of millions they have at their disposal isn't enough? I get that games like this can cost a ton of money but those games are run by people that don't have their own money on the line. Steven does. He's a very successful businessman and if you listen to him talk, he's a calculated individual. He seems makes decisions based on multiple factors that will lead to his desired outcome. Not knee jerk reactions. If you guys are dead set on more donations why not just put your cash in an envelope and mail it to Intrepid Studios?
  • Darsh13Darsh13 Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I’ve been thinking about New World and how they added some really cool cutscenes to the new update Brimstone Sands. The cutscenes are basically just moving still images with a narrator telling a story and tbh.. this adds soooo much story telling value to the game.. I believe that it would be a great addition to Ashes to have similar narrated cutscenes for important quest lines. Check out this YT video showcasing the type of cutscenes I’m referring to: https://youtu.be/Ux6Ue9QY5N0
  • I dunno about NPC quest dialog voicing. It's usually skipped by myself and everyone I know. Even NPC greeting voiceovers need to be on a cooldown.
  • Npc greeting voice overs would be nice and I wouldn’t be against cut scenes.
  • Good to hear there will be cinematic effects I've went into this how it is good for immersion into the world. like 80% of people are going to be skipping all the dialogue, and cinematics is best way to attach a player to the story. I actually know a bit more of new worlds story compared to knowing nothing before really.