Free trial

2»

Comments

• pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I like the ‘only on a trial period server’ then prospective players have to choose a real server when they sub.

Introducing trial accounts on real servers will have too many negative & unintended impacts.

Edit: oh, and I’d want the player’s inventory deleted. Then upon x-Fer to a new server your gifted a starting set of average gear. No bots mining mats then bringing them to a different server.

Those are some good ideas.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    @Kornpatch

You've had a bit of a rough time in this thread, I'll see if I can explain some things to you.

An online game like Ashes has ongoing costs. Servers cost a lot to run,and bandwidth is also not cheap.

If Ashes didnt have an ongoing subscription fee specifically to cover these costs,the game would then need to rely on cash shop sales to cover the basic upkeep of the game.

What this means is that as sales of the game decline over time - yet costs to maintain the game remain high,the cash shop would need to fi d ways to cover more of the cost of maintaining the game. In order to sell more in the cash shop, a develop would need to make the offerings in the cash shop more appealing.

This is when things like pay to win and loot boxes come in to a game. Low sales of boxes for revenue, but still high maintainence costs.

In order to avoid that, the only viable thing for a game developer to do is to charge an ongoing fee. Essentially, without a subscription, Ashes cash shop will inevitably turn either pay to win, or outright predatory via loot boxes.

Personally, I'll take a subscription fee purely because it means there is a *chance* that pay to win and such will be kept out of the game. My hope is that when you see it presented in this manner, you understand a little better why it is the way it is, and perhaps also why you have received the comments you have.
  • Free trials are used by the most popular mmos, so I'd say they'd be foolish to not do it. It gets people invested in their characters and the world. Most players will not be the few people who frequent these forums and are already spending hundreds on it. So, why would they hash out the money for a sub price before they can try it like the other mmos? How is that any different than a box price barrier of entry besides the dollar amount?

Free to try = more downloads = more players = more people wanting to sub their characters = more subs.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Kornpatch wrote: »
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    Such a weird way of seeing the gaming world. Ashes is by far the best possible game. Even Path of Exile did some shit and people are mad.
    Plus AAA games are now going for 70. And let's not even forget the Battle Passes, and DLCs. You can rarely find a single player game that is completed.

Best possible game? On what grounds, have you played it?

The absolute state of the industry is terrible if ashes released 15 years ago there is a good chance I would be onboard, but not so much anymore. My time is more valuable then a perceived dollar per hour game time.

It's so weird that you just created the account and chose to engage in such a boring and petty topic.
  • tbh game probaly wont need a free trial, word of mouth will probaly do wonders for this one with how it shaping up, it has the potential to take on WoW tbh especially with alot of the big streamers eagerly waiting for this one.
    Thats assuming it doesnt flop but doesnt seem like this would happen but u never know
  • Kornpatch wrote: »
    The day that the game I’m playing can give me back something tangible is the day I will subscribe to a game, till then my monthly expenses will not extend past living and investing.

The dude only wants to pay to play a game that "gives back" something tangible.

LMAO

Listen up guys, I won't spend money to go on vacations anymore until they give me something tangible back, and memories/fun/good experiences are not tangible, ok?
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶