Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Flagging System

Please take a short look at it. It may be a little better solution for the flagging system :v:

What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7RlhjaOmSE&ab_channel=Surma

Comments

• Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm just going to quote my post from the last time this video came up.
    SongRune wrote: »
    Moovie wrote: »
    Watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7RlhjaOmSE , made a quick visualization, i think this is an important change about the flagging system which ties into this topic.

j2xyzufvpdji.png

I have now watched the video. There's some problems here.

1. If we have two greens (anyone who isn't red and hasn't hit a player in the last 90 seconds), and they want to have a fully agreed-upon and willing duel...

Both flag so they can hit each other. Green1 hits Green2. Green1 is now Purple1. Green2 fights back and becomes... Green2. The only person 'allowed' to win a duel they both agreed to is Green2. There's no fully willing and intentional (on both sides) PvP configuration that doesn't guarantee corruption for one of the participants should they win.

2. The presenter claims you are punished for fighting back. You are not.

- Fighting back means you lose less stuff if you die. (Setting aside that you might win.)
    - Not punishing your attacker is not a punishment to you. You are already dead. You gain nothing and lose nothing based on whether your attacker turns red or not.

The stated purpose of the corruption system is to encourage PvP, encourage people fighting back, and discourage only serial ganking. That's why you are required to pay a price (higher green death penalties) to put a bounty on your attacker's head. You're only intended to do this if they're enough of a troublemaker that it's worth that to you.
  • Options
    The whole point of this system is to promote fighting back. It begs you to stand up for yourself. And even if you lose, it rewards you with lessened drops.

He suggests that you literally always lose 100% of items on death, while still giving you the flagged state if you win (which makes you a ffa target). I do not see how this system is supposed to dissuade "griefing" in any way. I only see it as a punishment for the green player.
  • Options
    Go play new world and free farm to your pockets are filled. I don’t understand why anyone even suggests changing of a system that has not even been tested yet.

The game is PvX, stop trying to change it.

• Options
    Don't agree at all, you are not understanding this is a PvX game they want people fighting, but not griefing...
  • Options
    Axonen wrote: »
    Please take a short look at it. It may be a little better solution for the flagging system :v:

What do you think?

i think he is utterly wrong :D
  • Options
    I like the concept of this system but I don't think it is on the right track. There are issues with this that don't make sense. Before anyone reads this and assumes I'm complaining about getting ganked just know I plan on being the most hated ganker on my server. I bring this up for a better and more fair system. If they choose to stick with this then good for me.

Group Ganking
    1) Status Penalty - Why should the green player be penalized at all? They didn't initiate the combat. They aren't being the d-bag. I don't think green should turn to purple at all. They are being penalized for literally doing nothing wrong or aggressive. Yet they turn purple or die and lose loot. There is ABSOLUTELY no upside for the green player. I don't feel green should ever turn purple or red if they aren't the aggressor.

2) Loot Penalty - I understand they want to encourage fighting but it starts off with a penalty against the nonaggressor. What? If you fight back you only lose a quarter of your loot. If you don't fight back you lose half. HALF? You decide not to contribute to the fight so you take a larger penalty? Something is very wrong with this. I know the attacker is putting his loot on the line but the attacker is most likely going to wait for the right opportunity and unload with a burst putting the fight heavily in his favor.

3A) Why should I not gank people? Here's what I see happening, and I will do this unless something changes. I will roll with couple of my friends. We come across anyone, literally anyone because why not, and I attack with friend 1 joining in. This guy has no chance of surviving. He fights back to lose less loot but dies anyways. Friend 2, not involved in the fight, picks up said loot. We move on and continue this process until I die with friend 1 getting the kill. Friend 2 picks up all the loot. I get back, pick up my loot that has been guarded for me so I lose nothing. I am now green, or less red, and we carry on. Or we can farm deaths from mobs , maybe each other, while we guard items and now we are all good to go.

3B) I tag people hoping they fight back. If they do friends 1 and 2 jump in and kill the guy. We aren't in a group so they stay purple. I am naked except for a crap weapon. Got nothing to lose.

Solo Ganking
    I'm underpowered, or just not good at pvp. I see someone gathering and I ignore it until I see that person fighting a mob. I switch to tab target to ensure my attacks hit only the person and unload on him for the kill. Pick up loot. I suspect this will be the most common type of killing.

Are there any safeguards in place for people carrying high quantities of items if they are killed? I use to farm around 2k-3k herbs on a farming run. To lose even a quarter of that would encourage ganking on anyone suspected of farming.

Maybe there are things I have missed about how this system is going to work but, at the moment, it seems pretty straight forward with a few work arounds that encourage killing.

• Options
    itsRyanB wrote: »
    Go play new world and free farm to your pockets are filled. I don’t understand why anyone even suggests changing of a system that has not even been tested yet.

I don't think it's about changing an undeveloped system. It's more of reaching the best theory before implementation to hopefully need less time time in R&D to reach the intended goal.
    All ideas are good to put forward as it could lead to a solution or better idea to this or a different problem the devs have that we know nothing about.
  • Options
    Rhorden wrote: »
    itsRyanB wrote: »

I don't think it's about changing an undeveloped system. It's more of reaching the best theory before implementation to hopefully need less time time in R&D to reach the intended goal.
    All ideas are good to put forward as it could lead to a solution or better idea to this or a different problem the devs have that we know nothing about.

While I agree player design is sometimes better then actual dev design. I think overflowing potential “fixes” isn’t really a solution.

That video literally redesigns a system to make it so no PvP is ever incentivized. The goal of the current system is not to stop PvP it’s to stop griefing. I think people forget that…
  • Options
    I like the concept of this system but I don't think it is on the right track. There are issues with this that don't make sense. Before anyone reads this and assumes I'm complaining about getting ganked just know I plan on being the most hated ganker on my server. I bring this up for a better and more fair system. If they choose to stick with this then good for me.

Group Ganking
    1) Status Penalty
    2) Loot Penalty
    The green player has normal death penalties. If he dies to a mob - he will still lose the same amount as he would if he died to another player.

Fighting back is encouraged because it halves the death penalty. You are rewarded for fighting back, not punished.

You can obviously dislike the death penalties as a whole, but that's a whole different discussion.
    3A) Why should I not gank people? Here's what I see happening, and I will do this unless something changes. I will roll with couple of my friends. We come across anyone, literally anyone because why not, and I attack with friend 1 joining in. This guy has no chance of surviving. He fights back to lose less loot but dies anyways. Friend 2, not involved in the fight, picks up said loot. We move on and continue this process until I die with friend 1 getting the kill. Friend 2 picks up all the loot. I get back, pick up my loot that has been guarded for me so I lose nothing. I am now green, or less red, and we carry on. Or we can farm deaths from mobs , maybe each other, while we guard items and now we are all good to go.

3B) I tag people hoping they fight back. If they do friends 1 and 2 jump in and kill the guy. We aren't in a group so they stay purple. I am naked except for a crap weapon. Got nothing to lose.
    I'm not sure if I understand these situations. If your victims fight back, that's just a pvp. They lost less stuff, you're not a PKer.
    Solo Ganking
    I'm underpowered, or just not good at pvp. I see someone gathering and I ignore it until I see that person fighting a mob. I switch to tab target to ensure my attacks hit only the person and unload on him for the kill. Pick up loot. I suspect this will be the most common type of killing.
    If the mob kills your victim you don't get corruption. You don't see your victim's hp so it'd be difficult to figure out when exactly you gotta hit him to avoid getting corruption.

If you got corruption, you'll get hunted and you'll lose time removing your XP debt.
  • Options
    RhordenRhorden Member
    edited October 2022
    @NiKr
    What I was getting at is why shouldn't ganking happen on a large scale? This system is suppose to be there to discourage griefing but still be lenient enough to allow for pvp. For normal random encounters this system looks like it would work well but when you think larger, this system is flawed.
    Like I said I am ok with this system because it very much favors what I am going to do. I pointed out some obvious issues, specifically 3B, that will lead to player farming groups running around and doing repeat killings on everyone in that area. I get that is pvp but is also a very bad system for anyone in that area.

I will have a guy that is dedicated to be corrupted. Wont be geared, wont worry about clearing corruption. The sole purpose of this guy is to start a fight and get the target to engage therefor turning him purple. Once that happens my teammates come in and finish the kill. If he doesn't engage then it's a long slow fight to kill him. Either way he drops loot and we move to the next unlucky soul or run across the same guy again.

In WoW BFA this exact scenario happened where large groups of players would run together in a certain area and continuously farm all players they could. When people stopped going there they moved to a new area. The same scenario is going to play out in AoC.
  • Options
    I will have a guy that is dedicated to be corrupted. Wont be geared, wont worry about clearing corruption. The sole purpose of this guy is to start a fight and get the target to engage therefor turning him purple. Once that happens my teammates come in and finish the kill. If he doesn't engage then it's a long slow fight to kill him. Either way he drops loot and we move to the next unlucky soul or run across the same guy again.
    If your designated PKer is red, the victim can't flag up against him. If your victim sees that you're a group of people running together and then attacking them or others - they'll most likely just run away. If your designated PKer is running around with a ton of corruption he won't be able to kill anyone because he'll have high stat dampening.

If you're operating in your own node and PKing its citizens, people might stop trading with you. If you're operating in another node, those gatherers will just call stronger players to go mess you up. And if you have a corrupted player with you at most times, BHs will be hunting you at all times too.

And even if you somehow manage to completely avoid any kind of punishment or you designated PKer, you'll have to go grind off his corruption every single time he kills someone, because stat dampening will make him useless after just one kill. And if you remove corruption by killing him - you'll have to remove his massive XP debt, because he'd be "underleveled" and would need even more time to kill anyone. Both of those methods would stop your killings for some time, which is the point of the system.

And again though, if you have one weak dude attacking random gatherers, they'll just run away from him if they so chose to.

But the biggest mystery in all of this is still the gathering locations design. If the most lucrative gathering spots are near high lvl high value mobs - ya ain't PKing shit, because those places will be full of top lvl players who'd gladly wipe your little group of PKer friends. And if instead you'll be running around solo low value locations, you'd probably be PKing casual lowbies who'll give you even more corruption per kill and bring your designated killer even deeper into stat dampening.
  • Options
    @NiKr
    One thing I have learned to be true over the years is when you don't ferret out all the ways something can be exploited, someone will take advantage of it.
    These "little group of PKer friends." in BFA was typically 15 to 20 people and sometimes over 30. Will that happen in AoC? Don't know. Guess it depends on if there's enough motivation. "Being in the mood to farm people for no reason at all" was usually a good enough motivator for my pvp guilds. I see flaws with this system on a large scale
    We don't have to agree but don't be quick to assume something can't happen just because you don't think it can. Go look at the start of any game and take note of all the loop holes found.
  • Options
    One thing I have learned to be true over the years is when you don't ferret out all the ways something can be exploited, someone will take advantage of it.
    These "little group of PKer friends." in BFA was typically 15 to 20 people and sometimes over 30. Will that happen in AoC? Don't know. Guess it depends on if there's enough motivation. "Being in the mood to farm people for no reason at all" was usually a good enough motivator for my pvp guilds. I see flaws with this system on a large scale
    We don't have to agree but don't be quick to assume something can't happen just because you don't think it can. Go look at the start of any game and take note of all the loop holes found.
    I've seen all possible "exploits" of this system in my 12 years of playing with it in Lineage 2. Small PKing groups would get killed by bigger or just stronger groups. Farming locations would be fought over for hours by multitudes of people, some PKing and some not. And most gatherers would either be from strong guilds or just call out for help and get responses from strong players who were yearning for some pvp. And L2 didn't have factions, so random dick PKers were looked down upon.

Now obviously Ashes might not be the same as L2 even if it has the same flagging system. But I'd assume it'll be even less similar to WoW with its genocidal faction war.
  • Options

Group Ganking
    1) Status Penalty - Why should the green player be penalized at all? They didn't initiate the combat. They aren't being the d-bag. I don't think green should turn to purple at all. They are being penalized for literally doing nothing wrong or aggressive. Yet they turn purple or die and lose loot. There is ABSOLUTELY no upside for the green player. I don't feel green should ever turn purple or red if they aren't the aggressor.

2) Loot Penalty - I understand they want to encourage fighting but it starts off with a penalty against the nonaggressor. What? If you fight back you only lose a quarter of your loot. If you don't fight back you lose half. HALF? You decide not to contribute to the fight so you take a larger penalty? Something is very wrong with this. I know the attacker is putting his loot on the line but the attacker is most likely going to wait for the right opportunity and unload with a burst putting the fight heavily in his favor.

Solo Ganking

Are there any safeguards in place for people carrying high quantities of items if they are killed? I use to farm around 2k-3k herbs on a farming run. To lose even a quarter of that would encourage ganking on anyone suspected of farming.

Maybe there are things I have missed about how this system is going to work but, at the moment, it seems pretty straight forward with a few work arounds that encourage killing.

why hasnt anybody realized that pve players can grief too? white, pve players can grief as well. everybody is like "oh no!, here comes the evil pvper trying to show his e-peen, who has nothing better to do than perma gank poor innocent pve gatherers, we must ruin a very reasonable system to protect all the innocent pvers". guess what? there are MULTIPLE ways a pver can grief, and if you put penalties on the person who initiates the combat who is just trying to get rid of the griefer, even if the pve griefer defends himself, whats preventing pvers from perma griefing everyone else? at least, pvpers either fight you or not. just because you start the combat, doesnt mean you are a bad guy.

what if you get killed by 2-3 players, then you come back and pick em off one by one, why should i be penalized when im just killing those who gang banged me? what if they are ganking players and i try to help the ganked player and make it a bit more of a fair fight, why should i be penalized? now, someone is gonna say *nerd glasses on* erm if you help someone being ganked then you shouldnt be penalized... pls go away!

1- attackign first doesnt mean ur a d-bag. read the paragraphs above. pvpers need a way to defend against pve griefers too, or anybody really.

2- again, why shoudlnt the white player lose loot? he was griefing me and i attacked him. he ganked me with his friends and i came back and killed them. why u wanna punish me senpai. also consider that l2 was like that at first, you could even lose completed items, even dying vs mobs. in aoc you only lose mats, not completed items such as gear or pots. the system is fine, it makes dying meaningful, so people will be more careful.

3- if you are pvping with your friends, what prevents other people to go out and defend themselves with their friends? you arent the only person who can grup up, this system encourages that. also consider that you might not be alone in a farming area, you run the risk of random people coming to help or kill you if you go red.
  • Options
    @NiKr

wow uses a faction system, and fighting the other faction is part of the game story and lore.
    is there any penalty in wow for killing someone from the other faction?
  • Options
    @NiKr

Totally agree with you. This will definitely be a thing under the current design. There isn't any disincentive for attackers. I think gatherers specifically will be the primary targets. It would not be good if there were more incentive to farm gatherers than to gather. Ofc we can't know for sure without testing, but even Intrepid seems to know this based on the dev discussion.

I envision groups of people, like you, roaming a region farming players. No risk. If they don't fight back, you can disengage. If they do fight back, bonus. And once they're purple, you can just keep knocking them off time after time until they leave the area out of frustration. Literally no way for the attackers to lose unless you choose to kill the green players, and even then, if you're group is designed for it, possibly no big deal.

Anyway, I wouldn't expect to convince the other people replying to your post. We'll just need to see how it goes.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    @NiKr

wow uses a faction system, and fighting the other faction is part of the game story and lore.

Umm, no. Not sure what you are getting at.
  • Options
    @NiKr

exactly.
  • Options
    @NiKr

exactly.

If you're trying to make a point and the meaning doesn't land then what was the point of talking in the first place if you aren't willing to explain it?
  • Options
    @NiKr

exactly.

If you're trying to make a point and the meaning doesn't land then what was the point of talking in the first place if you aren't willing to explain it?

since there is no penalty in wow (and also in l2 essence), people are more likely to go on a murderfest. there will be less murderfest overall in aoc because of the penalties.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2022
    @NiKr
    What I was getting at is why shouldn't ganking happen on a large scale?
    It's a dev choice.
    But... you know... Shadowbane also wanted ganking on a large scale: Play to Crush. We see how long that lasted.
    We also see how long the focus on hardcore PvP focus lasted with for New World.

Large scale ganking needs to have enough players interested in that feature to support the maintenance of the specific game for more than a decade.
  • Options
    Axonen wrote: »

What do you think?

Agree.
  • Options
    Let at least Alpha 2 play out before finding solutions to problems that don't exist yet.

If it turns out the current corruption system/PK rules aren't good enough, I trust Steven will try to improve them instead of watch his game fail.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    Let at least Alpha 2 play out before finding solutions to problems that don't exist yet.

But there an active dev discussion about this very issue. It seems like maybe they want to get it as right as possible before A2.
  • Options
    mcnasty wrote: »
    But there an active dev discussion about this very issue. It seems like maybe they want to get it as right as possible before A2.
    They literally can't though. They need feedback on the balancing exactly because this kind of system can only be truly tested by a big amount of people. Intrepid already has potential result of the system from games like Lineage 2 and UO, but both of those games are super old and are kinda on the opposite ends of the spectrum, while Ashes goes for the middle of it. So Intrepid have to give players their current design and see how it plays out, before making any huge changes to it.
  • Options
    Main issue is there is no inbetween like how BDO does karma giving you some free kills and giving karma loss for simply attacking (though its minor and not a big deal). Which technically on paper it is suppose to prevent you from half attacking a bunch of people constantly to harass them.

Though with AoC there is no in-between simply you are corrupted or not, which makes a kill a conscious decision, but since its on the extreme side with no leeway they cant give corruption for attacking since the system is extremely punishing and would just stop OWpvp in that element.

Issue with the video is again it doesn't take into account the game isn't WoW and is not faction based and you have huge penalties for being corrupted.

It doesn't take into account the game is more group oriented a group could simply allow a few of them to go red and kill them freely after making them lose more than they would have possibly gained.

And also this is a PvX game they want PvP, that is the point.
  • Options
    RhordenRhorden Member
    edited October 2022
    @NiKr

exactly.

since there is no penalty in wow (and also in l2 essence), people are more likely to go on a murderfest. there will be less murderfest overall in aoc because of the penalties.

I agree there will be less murdering for those that don't want to deal with the ramifications. For those that see the penalty as a slight inconvenience that can be somewhat mitigated, or don't mind working it off, the ganking will continue. Just need to go larger scale and if you are in a pvp guild that shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    It's a dev choice.
    But... you know... Shadowbane also wanted ganking on a large scale: Play to Crush. We see how long that lasted.

Large scale ganking needs to have enough players interested in that feature to support the maintenance of the specific game for more than a decade.

@Dygz have you heard the news? when nodes are destroyed we now will get another Open PvP zone for a few days while we get the treasures 👀
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    Dygz wrote: »
    It's a dev choice.

@Dygz have you heard the news? when nodes are destroyed we now will get another Open PvP zone for a few days while we get the treasures 👀

Give the guy a break, you are 100% baiting him.
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    lol Liniker. We are at risk of getting New World'd or partially New World'd essentially...forever. Even after launch, we could still get New World'd.

Dygz is going to rub your face in it if/when it happens.