Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Artisan Classes!

DolyemDolyem Member
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
Steven has given us an established list of artisan classes! What does everyone think? I love them personally, and I am assuming previous artisan classes not mentioned are being lumped into some of the ones stated. An example would be that I assume shipbuilding and siege weapons will be included in carpentry and/or arcane engineering. lets hear what you like/dislike about these, and tell everyone what you think about artisan classes that weren't mentioned this time around but were mentioned earlier in development.

Gathering

https://clips.twitch.tv/ShyObliviousChimpanzeeYouDontSay-69xJla4146zXLSeR

• Mining
  • Logging
  • Herbalism
  • Fishing
  • Hunting

Processing

https://clips.twitch.tv/ScaryPlausibleHerdTwitchRPG-ecyTbuPpwd80C1e2

• Metalworking
  • Stonemasonry
  • Weaving
  • Tanning
  • Lumber-milling
  • Farming
  • Animal Husbandry
  • Alchemy
  • Cooking

Crafting

https://clips.twitch.tv/YawningEsteemedPineappleBabyRage-ICugI2RJYlfmYWqq

• Weaponsmithing
  • Carpentry
  • Arcane engineering
  • armorsmithing
  • leatherworking
  • Tailoring
  • Jewel Cutting
  • Scribe

GJjUGHx.gif

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is fine.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    Ok but like what happened to tattooing? That was supposed to be a thing.
  • Options
    just wondering how many professions you can max on each character and if im going to have to make alts be able to craft all my gear, which i dont want to do T_T
    i think refining is limited to your freehold, and its one per account, but other than that, idk x_x
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    just wondering how many professions you can max on each character and if im going to have to make alts be able to craft all my gear, which i dont want to do T_T
    i think refining is limited to your freehold, and its one per account, but other than that, idk x_x

A character may only master one of the three parent artisan classes.[3]

It is possible to master up to two or three professions within this mastered artisan class per character (subject to testing).[1][6][3][7]
    A character will be able to achieve up to tier 3 or tier 4 proficiency in professions that are not mastered.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

Refining can be done in Nodes as well, Freeholds are just convenient.

The main question isn't that clear, because I would EXPECT that you aren't able to master Weaponsmithing, Armorsmithing, and Tailoring all on one character, but maybe that's what they want.

I'll add it to the list for 'stuff to ask for Q&A this month clarification wise, if it isn't already clarified.

• Options

Ashes doesn't really wish for you to be an omnicrafter without the investment of time in leveling alts. Mostly this is because the economy and player interactions becomes more important to the game if more players are required to craft gear for every slot of your character.

Then again, we don't know fully how the leveling or ranking up of artisan classes takes place. Could be that we get Artisan rank 1 through 10, and then you can only increase it to 15 on one class, which would be your Master Crafter.

Or something else entirely.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    I'm a bit upset that Alchemy is in processing instead of crafting, cause I wanted to have it as my third highest profession, but there's a chance that Arcane engineering is somehow linked to it so there's that.
    Azherae wrote: »
    The main question isn't that clear, because I would EXPECT that you aren't able to master Weaponsmithing, Armorsmithing, and Tailoring all on one character, but maybe that's what they want.
    They said previously that you can max out 2 specialties within an artisan branch. So unless that has changed, I'd assume you could go for weapon and armor and master them fully. At least that's my current plan.
  • Options
    GoreGoth wrote: »
    Caravan building and ship building is on arcane engineering now?

just an assumption, we really dont know. For all we know building a ships just require components from several different professions now.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited October 2022
    tbh i just wanna do one profession, the one that gives me the most gold per hour, and then just buy whatever i need or play the market

i enjoy combat more than pressing E on a mining node or a tree, so ill probs go with that
    Asgerr wrote: »

Ashes doesn't really wish for you to be an omnicrafter without the investment of time in leveling alts. Mostly this is because the economy and player interactions becomes more important to the game if more players are required to craft gear for every slot of your character.

Then again, we don't know fully how the leveling or ranking up of artisan classes takes place. Could be that we get Artisan rank 1 through 10, and then you can only increase it to 15 on one class, which would be your Master Crafter.

Or something else entirely.

yeah but whats the point if you can make alts and craft everything yourself? it defeats the purpose of player interaction, since you can just relog and craft wahetever you want
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I'm a bit upset that Alchemy is in processing instead of crafting, cause I wanted to have it as my third highest profession, but there's a chance that Arcane engineering is somehow linked to it so there's that.
    Azherae wrote: »
    They said previously that you can max out 2 specialties within an artisan branch. So unless that has changed, I'd assume you could go for weapon and armor and master them fully. At least that's my current plan.

I have a much-too-detailed expectation of how they will do this, but yes, I mostly just hope PRECISELY that you can't master THREE because, well... my calculations indicate it.

They're based on fluff and dreams, but I trust my fluff and dreams.

• Options
    Taming in missing
    I assume the gatherer which is specialized in Hunting, will have the option to capture the animal alive, to sell it to the Animal Husbandry.
    Or the Animal Husbandry profession will have to go and capture the animal.

But the taming is included into the Animal Husbandry profession. With or without breeding, this profession will transform the animal into a tamed mount.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    I'm really pleased how this has been developed and expanded, particularly the Processing section. For reference, this is how it used to be:
    o3tg3c6jsv8s.png
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    Jewel Cutting seems to get only the metals from the intermediate Processing level.
    The jewels themselves probably come from mining.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Scarbeus wrote: »
    I'm really pleased how this has been developed and expanded, particularly the Processing section. For reference, this is how it used to be:
    o3tg3c6jsv8s.png

My original response might have been underwhelming actually, I was in arrogant cynic mode, so let's fix that.

(apologies to whoever is handling crafting at Intrepid if this comes off as snarky or sarcastic, I promise it isn't)

I'm SO glad that you sorted them the way that I was hoping you would. Just the 'player identity' of so many potential crafters really seemed like it might have been stressful before, and I wondered whether or not there was some underlying balance reason that required it to be that way for economic purposes.

I'm hoping/expecting that with this updated information, that concern has been quelled (or if it never existed, I can just discard it). I in particular 'get everything I want', though I might still argue on the side of the people who think that Animal Husbandry should be broken up (Taming under gathering, Raising under Processing, Breeding under Crafting? I assume players will 'train' their mounts and pets themselves).

I was also previously wondering where the Weaving/Clothcraft and Tanning/Leatherworking were going to end up, so I am really glad to see that too. I know that this sort of thing can cause a lot of problems in both 'early game design' and 'late longterm/weak server' situations, so I appreciate Intrepid committing to it anyway.

If the system for 'how high you can level these' goes as I suspect it will, I'll be even happier, because I really strongly believe in personal differentiation through subchoice, and often don't 'aim for max level in any of them' for myself, preferring to find my own 'optimal distribution' to make me just a little more competitive and flexible in multiple markets, and to give myself some options for what I want to do on any given day.

I'm concerned about Jewel Cutting, notably, but not very much so, I think there are lots of ways to design this so that it's great, but I'll probably have a lot of opinions on the flow of it when I see it, as it's often the one most susceptible to 'too little demand' later on.

But with Metalwork, Cooking, Alchemy, and Husbandry all under one umbrella, I am happy to 'give up Jewelry', and since I still have to make choices within that umbrella of options, I will feel engaged.

• Options
    Whatever comes out from the Processing level is typically a material and subject to be dropped.

That means food produced by Cooking and potion ammunition made by Alchemy will be lost easily while transported with caravans.

Animal Husbandry however seems to be the exception and they will sell directly the tamed mounts which do not die and do not drop (until proven otherwise by some next Q&A)
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »
    Whatever comes out from the Processing level is typically a material and subject to be dropped.

That means food produced by Cooking and potion ammunition made by Alchemy will be lost easily while transported with caravans.

Animal Husbandry however seems to be the exception and they will sell directly the tamed mounts which do not die and do not drop (until proven otherwise by some next Q&A)

i remember steven saying that potions are completed items and you wont drop them if you die, unless you are red. i guess food items are also completed items.

not sure if you can drop completed items from caravans though. i think you will only be able to transport mats?
  • Options

i remember steven saying that potions are completed items and you wont drop them if you die, unless you are red. i guess food items are also completed items.

not sure if you can drop completed items from caravans though. i think you will only be able to transport mats?

I assume potion launchers will use potion ammunition and that is an important part of improving defenses and a way to prevent that by destroying caravans.
    Normal potions players use in their fight is a different thing.
    But normal potions is like drink compared to the food produced by Cooking.
    And both were before in Crafting and were moved to Processing level.
    Why would that happen if not for making them supply important materials to be carried by caravans?
    At least in packaged form.

Players will eat a lot in this game :D
  • Options
    Hunting is a nice surprise. So ill be going for that fishing mastery and hunting mastery if they allow for 2.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Hunting is a nice surprise. So ill be going for that fishing mastery and hunting mastery if they allow for 2.

Fishing will be a risky business.
  • Options

Fishing will be a risky business.

Hop on my ship buddy lets go.

tumblr_inline_orwy08Czut1syfzhd_640.gif

(God this is some edgy teen shit)
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited October 2022
    yeah but whats the point if you can make alts and craft everything yourself? it defeats the purpose of player interaction, since you can just relog and craft wahetever you want

Yes, but then you're still having to play the game that much longer to level your alts, one for each profession. That's 22 alts no less.

If you wanna level 22 alts to be able to craft everything by yourself, go for it. Otherwise that relationship with players exists.

Also, despite you being able to share your Freehold (if you manage to achieve one) for crafting with other players (or your alts), you can only do so for 8 at a time. And you can only have 1 freehold per account per server. So you couldn't just have all 22 alts working at the freehold and will be dependent on Nodes having the correct crafting stations for you.

And even then, you might need to spread it out across multiple Nodes, which in turn requires you to transport materials via the caravan system.

It all feeds back into player interdependence.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Yes, but then you're still having to play the game that much longer to level your alts, one for each profession. That's 22 alts no less.
    It'd be 11 chars, unless they've changed the "2 masteries per char" rule. So if Intrepid lets us have, say, 8 alts for a total of 9 chars, you'd need another acc to be able to do everything, at which point you could just divide your chars in such a way that lets you maximize the things you can do in your two freeholds.
  • Options

If you wanna level 22 alts to be able to craft everything by yourself, go for it. Otherwise that relationship with players exists.

Also, despite you being able to share your Freehold (if you manage to achieve one) for crafting with other players (or your alts), you can only do so for 8 at a time. And you can only have 1 freehold per account per server. So you couldn't just have all 22 alts working at the freehold and will be dependent on Nodes having the correct crafting stations for you.

And even then, you might need to spread it out across multiple Nodes, which in turn requires you to transport materials via the caravan system.

It all feeds back into player interdependence.

sir, notice i said crafting.

acquiring the mats isnt usually the problem, you can just farm one thing, sell it and buy whatever mats you need, basic or refined. or you can just kill other players and loot them.

im talking about crafting pofessions, and eventually people will just make alts and max them. you probably dont even need to get your adventurer level to max.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I'll be honest it could be like three or four different things and one of them sucks. BDO's version of hunting is basically 'you have to hunt, 'hunting' specific mobs with 'hunting' specific gear. It's terribly unimmersive and it's basically just a worse version of the games actual combat.

It could be skinning, carving, and trapping on the other hand and I think I'd be more ok with those three things. Idk, without more info it's hard to have an opinion. I've just seen one possibility exectued very badly in the past and hope the avoid it's pitfalls.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    AmmaAmma Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I dont get it. Why is farming and cooking both in processing together?
    shouldnt that be separate in two different artisan groups, so a cook cant do everything just by himself?

And what is with animal husbandry? No taming or something else in another artisan group?

Well.....OK......processing it is then for the main char.
  • Options
    Amma wrote: »
    I dont get it. Why is farming and cooking both in processing together?
    shouldnt that be separate in two different artisan groups, so a cook cant do everything just by himself?

And what is with animal husbandry? No taming or something else in another artisan group?

Well.....OK......processing it is then for the main char.

hunting = taming im pretty sure.
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited October 2022
    JustVine wrote: »

I'll be honest it could be like three or four different things and one of them sucks. BDO's version of hunting is basically 'you have to hunt, 'hunting' specific mobs with 'hunting' specific gear. It's terribly unimmersive and it's basically just a worse version of the games actual combat.

It could be skinning, carving, and trapping on the other hand and I think I'd be more ok with those three things. Idk, without more info it's hard to have an opinion. I've just seen one possibility exectued very badly in the past and hope the avoid it's pitfalls.

Well if by "specific" mobs it's all mobs that can be a pet or mount then it should be fine, no? I believe hunting will be used for capturing animals, dead or alive and harvesting materials from carcasses. They might make it easier to track down mobs with hunter, or have it create specific consumables that help with capture/fighting mobs. That sounds pretty nice to me tbh.

As for BDO, yes that stuff was stank and I hope it's not what we get.
  • Options
    Is Taming become hunting now?
  • Options
    Blip wrote: »
    Is Taming become hunting now?

I would assume as much. Nothing else really makes sense.
  • Options
    prymortalprymortal Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think Gathering should be removed as a "artisan class". Really doesn't need explaining why if you played enough MMO's & seen the forum posts/patch notes from those games. If you are Noob well tl:dr bots, players, economy, limitations on crafting items cause end game crafters to leave early & limiting(cuck) the "legendary" mats long term at the start doesn't work well in the end, unless they are willing to patch the mistake out which wont help make players return. If you keep it to Processing/Crafting that's is 2, so 50/50 & you have very few troubles with leveling & keeping leveled players.
    In the end is all comes down to balance, players & limitations. But I'm Going to bookmark this for future reference since I don't need hindsight on this matter.