Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Odd Crafting-Style / "Game-Layer" from the AMA: Will Crafting be Arcade/Twitch?

TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
When Steven was going over the full, final list (awesome!) of Crafting professions in the AMA, he'd made mention of what they are considering for the 3rd-step of artisanship, which was the act of the actual crafting.

"Hitting the hammer" and other such speech made this sound as though there will be an "arcade" or "twitch" element to crafting stat-ed objects. I'm just not sure how I feel about that. It initially feels out of place - but maybe not. However, it does open up possibilities for things like lag affecting possible twitch-based outcomes, on items.

Is anyone else concerned / caught off-balance by the possibility of arcade-crafting?

Comments

• Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    What is your opinion on FFXIV crafting?
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    I am a bit concerned, but I'd need to see what they have in mind before making my final decision on whether I like it or not. But outside of the minigames themselves, I'd definitely want the system to allow for big scale crafting, if that kind of crafting is even possible/planned in the game.
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited October 2022
    JustVine wrote: »
    What is your opinion on FFXIV crafting?

This is the question you should ask yourself, @Tyranthraxus, if you have experience with FFXIV crafting.

Of course, everything is subject to testing.

If the mini-games, RNG, arcade, or dexterity is too onerous (aka not fun) ... Intrepid will hear about it from testers like myself.
  • Options
    When Steven was going over the full, final list (awesome!) of Crafting professions in the AMA, he'd made mention of what they are considering for the 3rd-step of artisanship, which was the act of the actual crafting.

"Hitting the hammer" and other such speech made this sound as though there will be an "arcade" or "twitch" element to crafting stat-ed objects. I'm just not sure how I feel about that. It initially feels out of place - but maybe not. However, it does open up possibilities for things like lag affecting possible twitch-based outcomes, on items.

Is anyone else concerned / caught off-balance by the possibility of arcade-crafting?

I don't care. It makes crafting more engaging
  • Options
    I love the idea of the possibility that a certain crafter could create a product that is slightly better than others who create the same thing. I think that's fantastic, I have mixed feelings about their proposed method of achieving that. I'm excited to test it though.
  • Options
    MrPocketsMrPockets Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I was hoping that ashes would include a more innovative crafting system, and I'm glad to hear that they are going to at least try something more unique.

I'm very excited to see what they come up with and getting to test it.
  • Options
    As long as it's optional, it's a great addition to the game.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited October 2022
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    As long as it's optional, it's a great addition to the game.

Just curious, what do you mean by ‘as long as it’s optional’?

The opposite; I welcome it.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I only care if people can bot it and it is purely twitch reactions, but SWG wasn't, so...
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    I only care if people can bot it and it is purely twitch reactions, but SWG wasn't, so...

✅ I agree

✅ I am not a robot

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I am a bit concerned, but I'd need to see what they have in mind before making my final decision on whether I like it or not. But outside of the minigames themselves, I'd definitely want the system to allow for big scale crafting, if that kind of crafting is even possible/planned in the game.

NiKr, Sir, I do not know what is meant by big scale crafting. Mass production or large items?

I'm interested to see what they've come up with.
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited October 2022
    CROW3 wrote: »

Well basically let crafters choose if they want to participate in the minigame or skip it when hitting the "Craft" button, especially if completing the minigame dictates up to a degree the grade or quality of the item or adds extra stats/blues to the item.

Let's say the Bronze Sword has three "grade" variations: Mediocre Bronze Sword, Excellent Bronze Sword and Perfect Bronze Sword. Crafting a Bronze Sword without the minigame will always result in a Mediocre Bronze Sword.

I believe it should be optional because I'm not sure I want to be forced to play the minigame when crafting a thousand Bronze Swords only to dismantle/recycle them right after.

I think it's a cool addition to the game, but I also know that after a few hours the novelty will wear off and it'll become more annoying than fun, even for people who enjoy(ed) it, especially if dozens of hours are required to master a crafting skill (which I hope it will).
  • Options
    @BaSkA13 - Got it. I had an idea earlier (I don't know how original it is), what if you played one degree of difficulty for a single item, and a one degree of difficulty to produce multiple items? It's just one mini-game each time, but creating in bulk takes more concentration. Now, if I don't want to play the more difficult mini-game, I could make the call to do the easy mini-game 10x to make ten items individually, but they system let's me make that call.

What are your thoughts on this?

I asked about 'optional' because if not doing the minigame gives you crap quality and doing the mini game gives you awesome quality, it's really not all that optional.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    SpodosSpodos Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The real question is whether active crafting will be tab-target or action-based :smile:
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I asked about 'optional' because if not doing the minigame gives you crap quality and doing the mini game gives you awesome quality, it's really not all that optional.

My main concern is that to master crafting you'll probably have to craft thousands of items, maybe that's too many, but at least a few hundred. So I'm guessing you don't really care how good or bad a good portion of those of items you'll craft are, you only want the exp, therefore you probably also don't care too much about the minigame.
  • Options
    DarkTides wrote: »
    NiKr, Sir, I do not know what is meant by big scale crafting. Mass production or large items?
    Yeah, just crafting hundreds of things within a somewhat short window of time. And if we need to craft several smaller things that then go into the craft of the big thing, you might be crafting a toooon of stuff just to craft a few things for your mates.

And if you have to do a mini-game for each of those crafts just to have the best version of the item - it'd get real tedious real quick.
  • Options
    what if you played one degree of difficulty for a single item, and a one degree of difficulty to produce multiple items? It's just one mini-game each time, but creating in bulk takes more concentration.
    Yeah, that'd be fine imo.
  • Options
    I believe it should be optional because I'm not sure I want to be forced to play the minigame when crafting a thousand Bronze Swords only to dismantle/recycle them right after.

If resources are limited enough, such that you will not produce thousands of meaningless items, and time spent crafting an item is introduced via this method, then crafting something may actually matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    If resources are limited enough, such that you will not produce thousands of meaningless items, and time spent crafting an item is introduced via this method, then crafting something may actually matter.

So what you're saying is for example, to level up in Weapon Smithing, instead of crafting 500 swords that take 30 seconds each, you'd only need to craft 50 swords but each would take 5 minutes each. The total time spent would be the same, you could also increase the resource cost per sword to also keep that constant but the final number of produced items would be 10% of that.

Well, in my opinion, it's actually a pretty good idea :smiley:. It's very annoying and boring having to craft hundreds of the same items only for the Exp it gives, having to craft less items (while taking the same amount of time and resources) for the same amount of Exp is a nice alternative I never though of, and I don't think I have ever played a game which had this different paradigm towards crafting.

I must say though, and this is only my personal preference, after spending about 8 hours doing a somewhat similar activity in another game, it got boring quite fast.

Regardless of what I like or dislike, I wouldn't mind the mandatory minigame in crafting if the current paradigm was changed to your idea, giving more meaning to crafted items.
  • Options
    Its a little discerning. From someone that loves the Gathering/Commerce/Crafting part of most MMOs. I would see this as an issue. If this was the only way to succeed in crafting an item.

Why: if you spend numerous of hours "mastering" your craft which will probably not be easy as seeing how AoC leveling of a character is going to be intensive. This will not be any easy task. And then spending hours upon end gathering those high grade materials or some of your guild mates or customer did as the the Nodes are going to probably dictate of quality or grade to a point and you miss on twitch mechanic of crafting an item and failing crafting of the item. Then why we would have to level said crafting skill. We would just have to be "gud" in some mini-game
    I don't see this as something I want in a game for the PASS or FAIL aspect of it. As we will probably already see a type of RNG for crafting high tier items.

Now on the other hand: if you pass that RNG of crafting said item. if this mechanic was to further improve the item say adding +% against Minotaurs for a Long Bow that you succeed in crafting or +chance of rare items off a gathering node for a tool ort Durability increasing. I wouldn't see an issue but if its "Pass or Fail" on hitting the space bar at the right time to craft that expensive item. Then NO please don't add this to the crafting system.
  • Options
    DarkTidesDarkTides Member
    edited October 2022

So what you're saying is for example, to level up in Weapon Smithing, instead of crafting 500 swords that take 30 seconds each, you'd only need to craft 50 swords but each would take 5 minutes each. The total time spent would be the same, you could also increase the resource cost per sword to also keep that constant but the final number of produced items would be 10% of that.

Well, in my opinion, it's actually a pretty good idea :smiley:. It's very annoying and boring having to craft hundreds of the same items only for the Exp it gives, having to craft less items (while taking the same amount of time and resources) for the same amount of Exp is a nice alternative I never though of, and I don't think I have ever played a game which had this different paradigm towards crafting.

I must say though, and this is only my personal preference, after spending about 8 hours doing a somewhat similar activity in another game, it got boring quite fast.

Regardless of what I like or dislike, I wouldn't mind the mandatory minigame in crafting if the current paradigm was changed to your idea, giving more meaning to crafted items.

Material requirement balance would be important. Don't want to require an unimaginable amount of resources, such that numbers become unrealistic when trying to craft something as simple as a hilt.

The similar activity you are referring to is oldschool runescape crafting?
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am open to it if it is good. We just need to get in and test it. I have yet to find an active crafting component to any mmorpg that felt great long term. Maybe they fix that, maybe they don't. I am excited to get in and test it though.
  • Options
    JROCthaGreatJROCthaGreat Member
    edited October 2022
    Its a little discerning. From someone that loves the Gathering/Commerce/Crafting part of most MMOs. I would see this as an issue. If this was the only way to succeed in crafting an item.

Why: if you spend numerous hours "mastering" your craft which will probably not be easy as seeing how AoC leveling of a character is going to be intensive. This will not be an easy task. And then spend hours upon end gathering those high-grade materials or some of your guildmates or customers did as the Nodes are going to probably dictate quality or grade to a point and you miss on the twitch mechanic of crafting an item and failing to craft of the item. Then why we would have to level said crafting skill? We would just have to be "good" in some mini-game
    I don't see this as something I want in a game for the PASS or FAIL aspect of it. As we will probably already see a type of RNG for crafting high-tier items.

Now on the other hand: if you pass that RNG of crafting said item. if this mechanic was to further improve the item say adding +% against Minotaurs for a Long Bow that you succeed in crafting or +chance of rare items of a gathering node for a tool or Durability increasing. I wouldn't see an issue but if it's "Pass or Fail" on hitting the space bar at the right time to craft that expensive item. Then NO please don't add this to the crafting system.

I doubt it will be pass or fail, but a way to enhance the craft, and I imagine if you do it you will also get more exp, so help with leveling faster.

I'm excited about the possibility, I'm a fan of FFXIV crating, and for this reason, I have said on many occasions that I think it's God Tier because of the mechanics, so something like it, even on a smaller scale. sounds good to me.
  • Options
    The similar activity you are referring to is oldschool runescape crafting?

Not quite. It's a recently added minigame to the game that gives Smithing EXP. The minigame is quite interesting, but became boring after a couple of hours.

Crafting (or any other skill) in RuneScape is dogshit, click intensive and boring, but for some reason I still play that monstrosity.
  • Options
    DarkTidesDarkTides Member
    edited October 2022
    For example, if you're creating a sword, and you are crafting that sword, you will have an interface- a gameplay layer that you will see and you will begin to hammer actually that sword into an appropriate outline. And your performance there can help influence the outcome of that craft.[15] – Steven Sharif

IF, you need to make lesser items, perhaps after achieving this hammering into an appropriate outline numerous times, you will only be required to do so(manually) for more difficult tasks.

How do you retain the time? There could be a time achievement associated with doing this and for trivial tasks, the game will remember how much time it took you, so you can put trivial tasks on automated mode, and always go back to manual to improve on your time, so you can automate faster by achieving faster times....

And if they do what I suggested above, with less materials required, but more time spent crafting using this method, then that wont change when you automate the trivial tasks, it just does them at the fastest speed you have been able to achieve.

I would assume that this would be required for all higher skill items.

We can also learn from some Sauron smithing lessons!
  • Options
    I like the idea of some sort of mini-game or other interactive graphical event when crafting with a pass/fail threshold, and, then, maybe a bonus possibility after that has been met :) Personally, I think it adds some flavor & RP goodness to the mundane crafting routine! Also, as someone else mentioned above, I think crafting less items for more xp but the same time cost (50 swords to level vs. 500 swords) would dovetail well with the mini-game idea.

You could have that Conan the Barbarian type music pumping in the background from the beginning of the movie when they are making the sword, the molten steel flowing in, and then your mini-game kicks in :))) Would be sweet!
  • Options
    As I said on another thread, some sort of puzzle game would probably fit better than some twitch/rhythm game...
    Especially with the audience that mains crafting
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah I think puzzles are much more suited than twitch or reflexes
  • Options
    I had an idea for my pet project game where a crafter would do the minigame for the tier of item that they wanted to craft, and their score could be locked in for x crafts of the same tier or for y time. This way, a player could do a big crafting session with one good score locked in.
    I don't know if that's what SS has in mind, but I definitely agree with other people in saying that it could easily become onerous and unfun. They have to balance the fact that people may want to craft A LOT, so the minigame likely needs some sources of workaround.... perhaps a crafter could buy an item from a scribe to help with that...
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My suggestion is a bit too involved but if I distill it down...

If the game has deconstruction, and you can learn anything from it, then I feel the minigame should be on the deconstruction.

You could still gain levels. You could make something and then deconstruct it. You could put the RNG on the Deconstruction/Tweak/Study without most people crying about it I think?

A bot or a person who is crafting too much won't end up with an oversaturation of product as easily. We would also be able to get a lot 'more' levels out of high level gear without causing this problem. You're literally burning money (or rather, throwing it back into the economy) and depending on how long you do it, taking items OUT of the economy for this.

You could have progress bar advancement for Recipes of 'a weapon or gear piece that was found', so that the Crafter wants to deconstruct it.

Of course, none of this applies to things like Processing anyway, but I don't think people are as stressed about 'RNG quality' for cake/pie.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.