Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Proposal: Toggle for cosmetics with individual player white / black lists

2»

Comments

• Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I agree with the OP for many reasons, but clearly Intrepid needs that cosmetics money. Since there's a no-cosmetics functionality in the game already, during large PvP events and such, we'll just have to wait till a 3rd party add-on allows us to toggle cosmetics in all other scenarios.

Imagine getting banned turning off cosmetics.

a5ce45328rns.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited October 2022
    Natasha wrote: »
    I agree with the OP for many reasons, but clearly Intrepid needs that cosmetics money. Since there's a no-cosmetics functionality in the game already, during large PvP events and such, we'll just have to wait till a 3rd party add-on allows us to toggle cosmetics in all other scenarios.

a5ce45328rns.gif

Clientside modifications are undetectable. I'd rather see the actual gear someone I'm PvPing against is wearing than the clown suit he bought from the store.
  • Options
    SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Natasha wrote: »

a5ce45328rns.gif

Clientside modifications are undetectable. I'd rather see the actual gear someone I'm PvPing against is wearing than the clown suit he bought from the store.

You... really think so? How do most games ban aimbotters and wallhackers, then? Those are pure client side modifications, too.

I'll be very slightly disappointed if we can't datmod to customize our look a little on our own clients, but it's not even a little hard to detect and prevent "asset corruption" of that sort. If you hook the client directly to bypass that type of check, you'll look exactly like a cheat mod, and they've definitely got ways to ban those.

In a PvP game, protection against this sort of thing is natural and practically an automatic decision for developers. The same techniques that replace cash shop cosmetics with blander stuff are also used to replace obstacles you can hide behind with mostly-transparent versions.