Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Escape spell

I think it would be interesting to implement and « escape spell » to be able flee from fight when ever you want (pop in the same area in a limited perimeter or return to a save point). It would add safety feeling the those who do not want to pvp.
At the same time, corruption should be a bit less punishing ))

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited October 2022
    Unless that spell would only work if you have no gatherables and processed goods on you - no. Having a teleportation mechanic to circumvent the entire "risk vs reward" system goes against two of the biggest features of the game.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Unless that spell would only work if you have no gatherables and processed goods on you - no. Having a teleportation mechanic to circumvent the entire "risk vs reward" system goes against two of the biggest features of the game.

I mean not travel teleport. Just popping arround, 50m further to be able to run away.
  • Options
    Myosotys wrote: »
    I mean not travel teleport. Just popping arround, 50m further to be able to run away.
    Would this be a thing that pvpers can use or only greens? What would be the casting time of this spell? Can it be interrupted through dmg or only through CCs? Does it break mob agro/leash? Is it a randomized direction or a controlled one? What's the CD on it?

Depending on design this is either an abusable mechanic that griefers will utilize to bully people or a mechanic that's pretty much replaced by using a mount and running away.
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited October 2022
    Would this be a thing that pvpers can use or only greens? What would be the casting time of this spell? Can it be interrupted through dmg or only through CCs? Does it break mob agro/leash? Is it a randomized direction or a controlled one? What's the CD on it?

Depending on design this is either an abusable mechanic that griefers will utilize to bully people or a mechanic that's pretty much replaced by using a mount and running away.

This can be discussed. I imagine a spell that everyone can use. 1 - 5 min to be reusable.
    Working instant (no way to interrupt otherwise you cannot escape). Randomized direction yes of course to avoid camping at the respawn point. Also a group will not be able to use it without being spread arround the map.
  • Options
    I think it would be interesting to implement and « escape spell » to be able flee from fight when ever you want (pop in the same area in a limited perimeter or return to a save point). It would add safety feeling the those who do not want to pvp.

Sounds odd in some cases, because a player can attack me and if I fight back and he sees that he will lose then he can escape my wrath? :s

Maybe if you don't aggress anyone then maybe you could have such spell
    Or the other party should have ways for disrupting such powerful travel spell by using CC or disruption for preventing you from casting that spell.

I think it's fine having such spell in the game, but using it indiscriminately is not a good design.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options

There's the blink spell for that already, right?
  • Options
    This can be discussed. I imagine a spell that everyone can use. 1 - 5 min to be reusable.
    Working instant (no way to interrupt otherwise you cannot escape). Randomized direction yes of course to avoid camping at the respawn point. Also a group will not be able to use it without being spread arround the map.
    So if I'm in a dungeon. Just beat a cool boss and picked up some juicy gatherables from him and I see dudes running towards me to try and loot those gatherables from me. I use this spell and TP to a random respawn point outside of the dungeon (and not at the entrance either, cause then I could've done so with my whole raid and stomp any attackers)? How is that not avoidance of the risk vs reward mechanic of raiding?

And if it TPs me around the dungeon, then it didn't serve its purpose, cause the attackers would know that I can't TP outside of the dungeon and they'd have another half of their forces near the entrance (though in that case I'd obviously not use the spell, but the point remains).

And if it's only usable in the open world, any green player is always free to just mount up and run away, because the attacker can't CC them, while any pvper can now avoid the risk of being flagged around other people after fighting someone which, yet again, goes against one of the pillars of AoC's design. And I sure are hell hope you weren't about to let PKers use this spell too.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited October 2022
    I rarely agree on @NiKr posts, but I will agree on that.

A travel spell is such a powerful tool that will simply butcher player driven content and maybe even some of the developer's made content.

A travel spell can be interesting in the game, but at least the casting should be REALLY LONG, or people should have ways of disrupting it... you shouldn't be able to disapear in front of everybody with no consequences for your actions!

Maybe this travel spell could happen with an elaborate costy ritual... otherwise people will use the travel spell as a means for hauling stuff everywhere.
  • Options
    nopeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. we already talked about this.

next he is gonna post about an entaglement spell to prevent the escaping spell
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

Entanglement is only to prevent running. But the escape spell should be instant.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    EQ2, while not a PvP game, had a spell similar to this. It had a 15 minute cooldown, iirc, and would transport you to the location you would have gone to had you died. 8 of the games 24 classes had access to this ability, but it would work on the whole group, not just the caster.

I am unsure if an ability like this would be a good fit for Ashes.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    EQ2, while not a PvP game, had a spell similar to this. It had a 15 minute cooldown, iirc, and would transport you to the location you would have gone to had you died. 8 of the games 24 classes had access to this ability, but it would work on the whole group, not just the caster.

L2 had a few classes with a party TP, a solo TP and there were instant TP scrolls that anyone could use. That shit would not work in Ashes, unless they could only be used with an empty inventory.
  • Options

L2 had a few classes with a party TP, a solo TP and there were instant TP scrolls that anyone could use. That shit would not work in Ashes, unless they could only be used with an empty inventory.

To me, inventory isnt an issue with this.

The reason inventory is an issue with the family summons is because it would make it trivial to move materials without needing the caravan system, or to maximize profit from certificates.

I would suggest that if you were ok with it in l
    L2, you'd either need to figure out how it would trivialize the caravan system in Ashes, or come up with some other reas as to why it shouldnt be here.

If it can only move you 50 meters as the OP suggested, and if the direction is undetermined, it will have absolutely zero impact on caravans.
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited October 2022
    Yes, and we should add a spell that makes you and your caravan invisible to all other characters. Risk vs. Reward baby!
  • Options
    Yes, and we should add a spell that makes you and your caravan invisible to all other characters. Risk vs. Reward baby!

Why not 🤣 In this case we need a spell for reveal invisibility.
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    hahah just pull out your lvl 1 pocket sand spell
    bjx4u3lqbk26.gif
  • Options

The reason inventory is an issue with the family summons is because it would make it trivial to move materials without needing the caravan system, or to maximize profit from certificates.

L2, you'd either need to figure out how it would trivialize the caravan system in Ashes, or come up with some other reas as to why it shouldnt be here.

If it can only move you 50 meters as the OP suggested, and if the direction is undetermined, it will have absolutely zero impact on caravans.

its not about caravans or anything like that. its about you being red, about to die and instant teleporting avoiding everything, giving you time to heal, use a potion, run, whatever. but it isnt really a good idea...
  • Options

And that direction is random, according to the OP, so those 50m could tp you into even more enemies, which completely defeats the point.

And as has been pointed out, there's mage's teleport which is a whole damn school of augments, so if you were afraid of dying that much - get mage as your secondary and tp around to your heart's content.

There'd either have to be a ton of limitations on this kind of TP system or it would be near useless. And to me that sounds like a pointless waste of dev time.
  • Options

its not about caravans or anything like that. its about you being red, about to die and instant teleporting avoiding everything, giving you time to heal, use a potion, run, whatever. but it isnt really a good idea...

I have experienced this kind of system in the past in T4C. There was a spell that made you arrive in a temple.
    It allowed you to escape but as there was no teleportation system (except for this recall spell), players often preferred to fight and risk dying and loot rather than walk for 10-20 minutes to go back to where they were.
    And the effectiveness of a recall spell decreases in proportion to the number of players fighting.

At equal level, in 1V1 you have about 95% chance to have the reflex at the right time to use your recall spell without dying (The remaining 5% is a big critical hit that you one shot, which in theory should be rare in 1V1.

In a group fight, it's already more difficult to recall at the right time because the life bar can drop very quickly.

Finally, this kind of spell allows you to disconnect from the game in a hurry by leaving your character in a PvP off temple rather than disconnecting your character in the pampa and getting killed after you are already on your Windows desktop screen.
  • Options

Yeah just play the Uninstsall-Wizard
  • Options

Entanglement is only to prevent running. But the escape spell should be instant.

This post makes me feel like you are trolling.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Travel spells will cancel certain styles of gameplay, including caravans.
  • Options

Oh, I didnt say I think it's a good idea - my first post in this thread says I am unsure about it for Ashes.

All I am saying in the post you quoted is that inventory considerations from the family summons do not need to apply to an ability like this one if it were to exist.
  • Options
    There'd either have to be a ton of limitations on this kind of TP system or it would be near useless. And to me that sounds like a pointless waste of dev time.
    If it were to be put in place as per the OPs suggestion (50 meters, random direction, 5 minute recast), I dont see any further limitations on it that would be needed at all.

As I said above though, I am not saying I think it is a good idea - I am undecided on that at this point still. All I am saying is that limitations are not required for it.
  • Options
    If it were to be put in place as per the OPs suggestion (50 meters, random direction, 5 minute recast), I dont see any further limitations on it that would be needed at all.

As I said above though, I am not saying I think it is a good idea - I am undecided on that at this point still. All I am saying is that limitations are not required for it.
    But does it serve its purpose with that kind of design? I feel like it doesn't. It would probably help out in 1v1 pvp, but then it would only realistically work w/o mobs around, because if you're trying to run away from danger TPing from a pvper into mobs that will now bring you down while the pvper can just run up to you on a mount would defeat the point of the TP.

In any bigger pvp encounters you'll have your enemies spread out, so there's more chances to TP into them. And in 1vX or 1v1 PK attempts the green can just mount up and run away.

These are my main grievances with this kind of feature.
  • Options

But does it serve its purpose with that kind of design? I feel like it doesn't. It would probably help out in 1v1 pvp, but then it would only realistically work w/o mobs around, because if you're trying to run away from danger TPing from a pvper into mobs that will now bring you down while the pvper can just run up to you on a mount would defeat the point of the TP.

In any bigger pvp encounters you'll have your enemies spread out, so there's more chances to TP into them. And in 1vX or 1v1 PK attempts the green can just mount up and run away.

I mean the point is not to make something completely OP that work 100% of the time. Just a skill/spell to use in some situations.
  • Options
    I mean the point is not to make something completely OP that work 100% of the time. Just a skill/spell to use in some situations
    And the chances are, you gonna have someone use it right when they need it and it'll fuck them over, and they'll never use it again. And then will complain that rng is bad and that the spell should be changed.
  • Options
    I mean the point is not to make something completely OP that work 100% of the time. Just a skill/spell to use in some situations
    And the chances are, you gonna have someone use it right when they need it and it'll fuck them over, and they'll never use it again. And then will complain that rng is bad and that the spell should be changed.

This can happen with everything in the game with a bad design. It is always question to find the correct mechanics and balance.
  • Options
    This can happen with everything in the game with a bad design. It is always question to find the correct mechanics and balance.
    Yeah, and like I said, you either limit the functionality to all hell and make it useless or you constantly try to contain its OPness.
  • Options

I mean the point is not to make something completely OP that work 100% of the time. Just a skill/spell to use in some situations.

if anything, it would be an item that you could put in any of your bars.

an item that teleports you back to town with something like a 30 seconds cast time would be ok...except it wouldnt be a good idea for ashes, considering it removes lots of risk. it would only be a good idea if there were no death penalties, or at least, you wouldnt drop anything on death.