Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Turn purple the gatheres who are stealing lumber

Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
edited October 2022 in General Discussion
We loved the idea of land managent, good job devs!

I will give you a PVX idea, that is PVE friendly and PVP friendly, that is very short, simple and with rules everybody will understand and stick to it.

Such decisions should be made by the citizens and mayor for managing the land, they could prohibit gathering certain things.
  • If harvesting a certain thing is declared prohibited then anyone harvesting the thing should be turned purple for a number of minutes
  • mayor emergency actions would have 24 hours effect only and would have a big cooldown
  • citizens can vote on policies

Make the gatherer purple for a few minutes, the guy will have fun by sneaking around, snatching stuff and walking away scot-free if no one stops him. No repercussions on this gatherer who is snatching prohibited stuff and in a few minutes he is green again, let him escape with the reward.

On the other hand this gatherer will be purple for a few minutes and people can stop him from hurting the fauna and flora, a lot of PVP tree hugging hippies will be out there protecting our forests, those selfless men looking for mother nature!

This system is simple, fun and engaging for both parties.
It will be also helpful for the little guys and for the big guilds looking for resource wars.

EDIT: NO CHANGES IN THE GREEN/CORRUPTED interactions when it's allowed to gather stuff then let the show go on as it is propsed now
PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Obviously the thread's subject is "stealing lumber" as a satire refering to the last video, but this would work for any resource, this system is:
    • simple, everybody understands this
    • player content driven
    • PVE
    • PVP
    • fun
    • fixes a chunk of griefing
    • fits guild wars
    • fits node wars
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2022
    So, basically what Nerror was talking about in the other thread, just a little less coherent, a little less detailed, and a little more arrogantly posted.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Noaani wrote: »
    So, basically what Nerror was talking about in the other thread, just a little less coherent, a little less detailed, and a little more arrogantly posted.

Yes!

In fact I didn't think he wanted the same as me, because he added so many intricacies, our ideas are almost the same.

My idea is more fluid and simpler.

Would be great hearing from the devs on this.
  • Options
    Let the PVE guys be scoundrels too while having no punishment!

Let them be sneaky and be smugglers, let them have fun with no consequences, they aren't hurting anybody anyway.

And people will be able to counter them while doing it, so if people can willingly do something and willingly counter it, then no griefing exists and both parties can have fun.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The idea of punishing players for daring to move beyond their own node to pick a flower is very bad game play all around.

"Stay in your own node you F'ing scrubs!!!"
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    If big wars come up then the resource defenders have to be out there in the woods protecting stuff. No automatic punishments or defenses should exist in this.

I do not see as a good idea having automatic systems punishing people through XP or any kind of fines or corruptions.

Let people open and close the door when they want and have fun with it.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    The idea of punishing players for daring to move beyond their own node to pick a flower is very bad game play all around.

I agree, that's why I a proposing this idea:
    -if it's legal then gather everything freely
    -if it's ilegal then be sneaky and gather, but you will get the purple flag for a few minutes

This way is super fine.

No automatic punishments, let the carebears step in and out the lines of PVE and PVP when they have the chance, AoC has this vision of being PvX that's why I see such system fitting well in AoC.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Terrible.
  • Options
    Terrible.

George, why so?
    I thought that you among of all would like this, care to explain?

• Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »

I agree, that's why I a proposing this idea:
    -if it's legal then gather everything freely
    -if it's ilegal then be sneaky and gather, but you will get the purple flag for a few minutes

This way is super fine.

No automatic punishments, let the carebears step in and out the lines of PVE and PVP when they have the chance, AoC has this vision of being PvX that's why I see such system fitting well in AoC.

So every time you dare to step out of your node you either get a pop up detailing the message of the day from said new node you just entered or risk being punished by the secret police?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    So every time you dare to step out of your node you either get a pop up detailing the message of the day from said new node you just entered or risk being punished by the secret police?

Well, did you watch the last video from a couple days ago?
    Intrepid already stated that they will develop ways for dealing with poachers, over harvesting and such things.

They will do this thing, I just hope that they do it nicely
    How they will show to you what is ok or not, that I can't fathom knowing this right now

If gathering everything is still legal, people will harvest everything as much as they want with their green
    No changes there
  • Options

Well, did you watch the last video from a couple days ago?
    Yes I just watched it.

Intrepid already stated that they will develop ways for dealing with poachers, over harvesting and such things.
    Yep and as I said in the other thread this is a community concern not an Intrepid concern. Anything applied like your suggestion can and will be abused by the players. What happens if the mayor decides to make harvesting anything illegal?

They will do this thing, I just hope that they do it nicely
    Agreed.

How they will show to you what is ok or not, that I can't fathom knowing this right now
    Ideas?

If gathering everything is still legal, people will harvest everything as much as they way with their green
    No changes there

Why should Intrepid allow players the opportunity to punish other players for playing the game based off of something arbitrary like picking a flower?

Imagine you and your party are traveling through a node heading to a dungeon that is not your node. You stop to pick a rare flower you need for a potion your trying to produce and now your flagged as a local group is passing by the other way. Why is the rest of your group now forced to PvP when they didn't want to or just sit and watch you die because you dare to pick the King's flower?
    Mind you I am all for the PvX system as stated. However flagging people for random activities just because and over complicating things just cause some one might do something some time somewhere is foolish and scope creep.
  • Options
    @bloodprophet it doesn't seem you watched the last video, so I will sum it up:

There will be land deterioration and over harvesting will make things grow slower, stuff will spawn in a much slower rate and there will be scarcity, even animals will go live somewhere else.

So Intrepid will come up with policies so the mayors can deal with that in the land management system.

Go watch the video first.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyXMxhUK_p8
  • Options
    Tree Hugger Guild 101

Slay all who chop down your trees
  • Options
    @bloodprophet it doesn't seem you watched the last video, so I will sum it up:

There will be land deterioration and over harvesting will make things grow slower, stuff will spawn in a much slower rate and there will be scarcity, even animals will go live somewhere else.

So Intrepid will come up with policies so the mayors can deal with that in the land management system.

Go watch the video first.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyXMxhUK_p8

I did watch it.

And?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

I did watch it.

And?

And you are asking stuff here that were literally explained in the video
    :#
  • Options
    No it wasn't. They said they would do a video or a post regarding this idea of land management.

I asked YOU. to clarify what you said. You gave the idea that anyone gathering outside their node should turn purple if the local mayor said so. I disagreed. All nodes should have the same basic rules. There should be no special rules of any kind just because.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

I mean, it's just a bad idea from Intrepid, really.

Let's say they put this in place.

All I am going to do is get hundreds of players to strip-harvest everything in your node - I imagine it will take us maybe a few hours. Sure, we will all be "enemies if the state" or what ever, but there will be hundreds of us - come at me bro.

Now, you and your node are left with no resources, and it will take even longer before they respawn.

The concept of the system was to stop people being able to strip a node of resources, yet it allows players to do exactly that but with a slower respawn time. It is anti-productive.

The entire idea is predicated on the notion that gathering is a solo activity, and that players wont work together.

Essentially, it is the antithesis of an MMORPG.
  • Options
    Didn’t the Livestream just get done saying you can chop down any tree anywhere?

Seems like there will be plenty of trees to go around folks.
  • Options

In the end they explain the details, but its like this: if you over harvesting something that gathereable will spawn only after a longer period of time, even animals will go live elsewhere, the land will deteriorate and produce less

So policies could be activated for dealing with agressive poachers, over harvesting, etc
  • Options
    I mean, it's just a bad idea from Intrepid, really.

Let's say they put this in place.

All I am going to do is get hundreds of players to strip-harvest everything in your node - I imagine it will take us maybe a few hours. Sure, we will all be "enemies if the state" or what ever, but there will be hundreds of us - come at me bro.

Now, you and your node are left with no resources, and it will take even longer before they respawn.

The concept of the system was to stop people being able to strip a node of resources, yet it allows players to do exactly that but with a slower respawn time. It is anti-productive.

The entire idea is predicated on the notion that gathering is a solo activity, and that players wont work together.

Essentially, it is the antithesis of an MMORPG.

That's why there will be policies so the node can react to such things and do the land management and fix stuff.

My idea is just for dealing with people who arent following the policies, but at the same time letting them harvest anyway and they can escape with no consequences.
  • Options

In the end they explain the details, but its like this: if you over harvesting something that gathereable will spawn only after a longer period of time, even animals will go live elsewhere, the land will deteriorate and produce less

So policies could be activated for dealing with agressive poachers, over harvesting, etc

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Affiliations

An affiliation tree determines which entities can participate in attacks against other entities within its hierarchy.[1][2]

Corrupted players can be attacked regardless of other affiliations. This is something that will be tested during Alpha-2.[3]
    Node citizenship.[1][2]
    Alliances.[1][2]
    Guilds.[1][2]
    Parties.[1][2]
    Raids.[1][2]
    Family.[1]
    Religion.[2]
    Society.[2]
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    That's why there will be policies so the node can react to such things and do the land management and fix stuff.
    Unless thosenpolicies makenit impossible for anyone to harvest the materials in question, regardless of citizenship, ir wont make any difference at all.

If it does have the above effect, then all it is doing is restricting players in the name of something that sounds like it would be cool but in reality is just a restriction on gameplay for no benefit.

I mean, if a node implements a policy in an attempt to prevent harvesting of a resource, all that will do is attract people to that resource via what ever avenue is available to them.

If that restriction is in place for 24 hours, then you can guarantee that within 6 hours of it no longer being in effect, that resource will be gone from that nodes ZoI.
  • Options
    Unless thosenpolicies makenit impossible for anyone to harvest the materials in question, regardless of citizenship, ir wont make any difference at all.

If it does have the above effect, then all it is doing is restricting players in the name of something that sounds like it would be cool but in reality is just a restriction on gameplay for no benefit.

I mean, if a node implements a policy in an attempt to prevent harvesting of a resource, all that will do is attract people to that resource via what ever avenue is available to them.

If that restriction is in place for 24 hours, then you can guarantee that within 6 hours of it no longer being in effect, that resource will be gone from that nodes ZoI.

I shall speculate, that with affiliations, those who are not citizens of a node can be attacked without penalty, as node citizenship is the highest determining factor in its hierarchy, aside from corruption itself, with what side you are on. It doesn't make sense for people to just show up and farm up some other node without penalty. I'd assume that will be an option the mayor has, but cannot verify. May not happen, but seems silly if it doesn't, based on how everything works.
  • Options
    Terrible.

George, why so?

Because it turns the game into factional PvP, like ESO and wow, removing player agency and the free determination of guild goals. It becomes our node against the world.
    Because it hurts people who want to travel, explore and adventure. It forces people to play just outside their front door, unless they want to be branded as thiefs for not staying within their node.
    Because it's stupid to autoflag people who wear gathering equipment, just because people dont want to take responsibility for the protection of their node, the same losers that now want the Devs to hand them an advantage, just in case the imaginary scenario of hordes of pro gatherers sieges their node by lumbering.
    Because I dont like gangfests and forced, scripted gameplay.
    I like player freedom.
  • Options
    Terrible.

George, why so?

Because it turns the game into factional PvP, like ESO and wow, removing player agency and the free determination of guild goals. It becomes our node against the world.
    Because it hurts people who want to travel, explore and adventure. It forces people to play just outside their front door, unless they want to be branded as thiefs for not staying within their node.
    Because it's stupid to autoflag people who wear gathering equipment, just because people dont want to take responsibility for the protection of their node, the same losers that now want the Devs to hand them an advantage, just in case the imaginary scenario of hordes of pro gatherers sieges their node by lumbering.
    Because I dont like gangfests and forced, scripted gameplay.
    I like player freedom.

It is not like ESO at all.

Because if the majority of the citizens of a node vote for prohibiting something, then if people gather that the gatherer would go from green to purple for a few minutes online and then back to green.

You can still gather all the other stuff freely as much as you want, the prohibited stuff would flag as purple for very few minutes.

In the last video there's the introduction to this subject, I hope they do something that is PVP and PVE friendly insteand of plainly forbidding and adding fines.
  • Options
    FrostywombatFrostywombat Member
    edited October 2022
    All I am going to do is get hundreds of players to strip-harvest everything in your node - I imagine it will take us maybe a few hours. Sure, we will all be "enemies if the state" or what ever, but there will be hundreds of us

I would like this to be a viable strategy but poachers should have a chance to drop gear. That way there’s a significant reason for not just node citizens to counter the Zerg/raid.

It could get really messy though as only poachers would be flagged. As the poachers get attacked there friends would jump in and potentially get corruption.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Any such flagging should only happen if there is a node siege declaration and the node is under marshall law or smthg. Not prior and I dont care how much ppl QQ about the imaginary possobility of gatherer griefers.

And even then it seems stupid to me. Get rdy for PvE players and gatherers to complain if something so unfair and silly happens. And this comes from a PvPer.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Any such flagging should only happen if there is a node siege declaration and the node is under marshall law or smthg. Not prior and I dont care how much ppl QQ about the imaginary possobility of gatherer griefers.

And even then it seems stupid to me. Get rdy for PvE players and gatherers to complain if something so unfair and silly happens. And this comes from a PvPer.

It's not a defense against griefing gatheres, this belongs to the land management of the node.

As implied in the video, if people kill all rabbits then the wolves will abandon the area and go somewhere else.

It's the people's own interest in managing the land, the people who over harvested something will make money out of this and the people who ninja harvest will make money too
  • Options
    If you believe that the development of this game will produce a life simulator full of chores, over balanced combat systems, frustrating players, you are deluded.
    Ideas are thrown around by the Devs.
    Feel free to be a blind yes-man, or use your brain and say "Not a good plan."