Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

AOC Bounty Hunting

What changes or details would you like to see with Bounty Hunting? There’s not much info besides that there’s a skill/quest line that is needed and the higher you are in that line the better your tracking will be apparently. Also you’ll be flagged for pvp only to corrupted players supposedly.
I’m personally curious on the loot the corrupted player drops. It may go to the user of the killing blow, but I feel this would maybe be better with a split loot system given to people recently damaging the player. I also feel further elaboration on this system could deter those looking forward to griefing and give faith to players having concerns with the flagging system (I personally love the idea of the system). I’ll be doing a video based on this feedback.

Comments

• Options
    Imo the system feels very weak, as currently presented. I hope they've reworked it drastically, but I also kinda doubt that considering the recent info about corruption. I have an idea that I think might work, but it depends on how the pvp looting rights work and I don't think we know that part of the design either.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Imo the system feels very weak, as currently presented. I hope they've reworked it drastically, but I also kinda doubt that considering the recent info about corruption. I have an idea that I think might work, but it depends on how the pvp looting rights work and I don't think we know that part of the design either.
    Yea it’s tough to say. It sounds like a fun system, but a lot of players feel bounties will be seldom considering the harsh penalties of corruption

• Options
    I think Bounty Hunters should get other roles too beside hunting corrupted players.
    They could maybe interact with those thieves
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Thieves'_guild
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited October 2022
    The Bounty Hunters would need more stuff to do.

I dont think there will be a bunch of Corrupted people walking around this much, so I don't think this system will be a big thing in AoC.

It is interesting that the Corrupted player would not suffer penalties when fighting a Bounty Hunter, this would allow "bounty hunter baiting", since you can get Corruption just to attract fights

PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »
    I think Bounty Hunters should get other roles too beside hunting corrupted players.
    They could maybe interact with those thieves
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Thieves'_guild

Yea I could see that. The thieves seem like it’ll have consistent content not reliant on the playerbase whereas bounty hunting could get stale if there are less corrupteds as people are now foreseeing
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    The Bounty Hunters would need more stuff to do.

I dont think there will be a bunch of Corrupted people walking around this much, so I don't think this system will be a big thing in AoC.

It is interesting that the Corrupted player would not suffer penalties when fighting a Bounty Hunter, this would allow "bounty hunter baiting", since you can get Corruption just to attract fights

Yea it’s interesting. Last week a lot of people were saying corrupteds will be everywhere but since the livestream it’s been proven/predicted this won’t be often. I agree with this take so maybe there will be some npc bounties or something if things get stale; idk
  • Options
    FrostywombatFrostywombat Member
    edited October 2022
    How about npcs who spawn and wander in a random direction murdering players. They could look like players but have a themed name and be a member of the npc guild. Basically a murder hobo bot. Various levels so may need a full party for some. Make them walk everywhere so if you can get out of there way if your looking out for them but they make the world a bit more random. Kinda like the rare elite spawns in wow.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    BH needs to be balanced around the severity of the corruption gains, purpuse of PK counts (if any) and the stats reduction of reds.

We have to wait till we can strike a balance. My opinion so far is that unless the corruption system is exactly as severe as the one in L2, the BHs become too much to bear.
    I want to see a change of direction with the harsher approach to going red in AoC, so that BH are meaningful and necessary, and more can be done ABOUT THEM.

• Options
    How about npcs who spawn and wander in a random direction murdering players. They could look like players but have a themed name and be a member of the npc guild. Basically a murder hobo bot. Various levels so may need a full party for some. Make them walk everywhere so if you can get out of there way if your looking out for them but they make the world a bit more random. Kinda like the rare elite spawns in wow.

No NPCs please, hunting people should be for people
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I want to see a change of direction with the harsher approach to going red in AoC, so that BH are meaningful and necessary, and more can be done ABOUT THEM.

Totally agree, ideally there needs to be enough reds on the map that the bh group can roam and not get to bored and going red is dangerous but you’re still got a chance that you can get away with it without being the only red target on the bh radar.

Hard to balance. While not ideal, npc dynamic spawning could be a useful tool to help balance it. Npc s should probably not actually advance the class just give you a bit of loot to keep the group together till a juicy target shows up. If there’s enough red players on the map then Npc murder hobos wouldn’t spawn
  • Options
    You know, you start reframing 'reds' as monsters and 'bounty hunters' as witchers, and - BAM - instant increase in interest.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack

Totally agree, ideally there needs to be enough reds on the map that the bh group can roam and not get to bored and going red is dangerous but you’re still got a chance that you can get away with it without being the only red target on the bh radar.

Hard to balance. While not ideal, npc dynamic spawning could be a useful tool to help balance it. Npc s should probably not actually advance the class just give you a bit of loot to keep the group together till a juicy target shows up. If there’s enough red players on the map then Npc murder hobos wouldn’t spawn

I dont advocate for "more reds for BHs".
    Im saying that the recent announcements show that AoC system will be way more severe than L2, the main point being that (without being very clear) people will drop gear from the first PK, which wasnt the case in L2.

With such severity BHs are an extra pain in the ass. What more can be done for the BHs? Nothing that wont completely shut down PKing.
  • Options

What if they didn’t advance the class were just trackable by high lvl bh.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    the main point being that (without being very clear) people will drop gear from the first PK,.

Yer seems pretty harsh, unless it’s like a 1% chance. I think everyone is going to jump reds if they drop to much stuff. BH probably won’t be viable because they will die to quick to get to them.

• Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    You know, you start reframing 'reds' as monsters and 'bounty hunters' as witchers, and - BAM - instant increase in interest.

Remembers me of an Ultima Online roleplay shard where I played as Orc pk

Having players playing as monsters is cool, just see Left 4 Dead
  • Options
    edited November 2022

What if they didn’t advance the class were just trackable by high lvl bh.

Just seeing the Corrupted on a map is not much engaging, at the momment the system is not so interesting.

SO BRING MEDIEVAL GIBBETS TO AOC!

WOULD BE COOL IF:
    - the mayor could build/place gibbets or a structure that has gibbets
    - the bounty hunter wins the fight he could choose to arrest the corrupted and put him on a gibbet in public square or at the entrance of the city if there's a free gibbet at the momment
    - the corrupted should stay arrested for 15 minutes while burnning a bit of his corruption away
    - after 15 minutes the corrupted may leave the cage, if he stays then he burns away more corruption until he is back to normal

Here's a miniature of a medieval gibbet for ilustration:
    rsewycqg5hkr.jpg

- On the gibbet we should see the name of the corrupted and the hunters
    - maybe while on his gibbet he could have a huge HP pool, so carebears could shoot at him for many minutes, if he dies he dies and a little more corruption will go away
    - let carebears torture pks
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    Yeah I can't really see bounty hunters even being a thing anymore based on recent statements. Maybe they can be sent to hunt the pks in Throne and Liberty and AA2, lil cross game action lol. Options baby, exciting times are coming. The carebears can't possibly stop them all.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If the PKer goes into the gibbet, he should lose ALL of his gear and ALL of his gold, some going to the node.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    tautau wrote: »
    If the PKer goes into the gibbet, he should lose ALL of his gear and ALL of his gold, some going to the node.

What?
    Public humiliation and llynching is not enough for you?
  • Options
    I posted a thread concerning this about 2 years ago. https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/47476/expanding-on-the-bounty-hunter-system/p1

The main thing that should be addressed even if the above suggestions are not taken is the lack of content for bounty hunters to actually engage in. They need targets outside of corruption to fight or fulfill their role on. I do not expect many corrupted players after players realize the gravity of going red and it would be a shame to see an iconic role like a bounty hunter just waste away as a relic only used to deal with corruption when it can easily be so much more.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    I posted a thread concerning this about 2 years ago. https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/47476/expanding-on-the-bounty-hunter-system/p1

The main thing that should be addressed even if the above suggestions are not taken is the lack of content for bounty hunters to actually engage in. They need targets outside of corruption to fight or fulfill their role on. I do not expect many corrupted players after players realize the gravity of going red and it would be a shame to see an iconic role like a bounty hunter just waste away as a relic only used to deal with corruption when it can easily be so much more.

I just read your thread and youtube recommended Chumbawamba - Tubthumping (Official Music Video)

get knocked down, but I get up again
    You are never gonna keep me down
    I get knocked down, but I get up again
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Sathrago wrote: »

So your idea over there is almost like turnning the victim's bag into a mini-game of Capture the Flag.

Also defeats the purpose of having Corruption.

If think that is too much work implementing such a thing and it's not important if people lose a bit of lumber, so it would cost a lot of resources developing that and I don't think it will be significant to the game or fun.

Try again please, it looks like you will come up with something really good.
  • Options
    I am wondering what did bounty hunters do in medieval time in real life, but this is our today's notion of bounty hunting:
    Bounty hunters can be defined broadly as a category of persons who track down someone or something for money. A bounty is a subsidy that is paid to a category of persons who have performed a public service. Bounty is the proper term to be applied when the services of several persons are sought, and each person who fulfills the offer is entitled to the promised compensation. By contrast, a reward compensates a single service to be performed only once, such as in the capture of a fugitive.

Historical reasons for having gibbets in AoC:
    Bounty hunters have existed since medieval times—the notion of bail predates written english law. The foundation for bounty-hunter rights in the United States was laid down in the 1872 case of Taylor v. Taintor, 83 U.S. (16 Wall.) 366, 21 L.Ed. 287 (1872). "Where one charged with crime is released upon bail, he is regarded as being delivered to custody of his sureties. Their dominion is a continuance of the original imprisonment," wrote the U.S. Supreme Court, in a decision that has never been overruled.

The assassination of William the Silent, the bounty was offered by Spanish king Filip II, the assassination tough wasn't carried by a bounty hunter:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_the_Silent

There's some heavy stuff here, including burning houses, taking belongings:
    https://www.quora.com/Did-professional-bounty-hunters-exist-in-the-Middle-Ages-and-if-so-how-common-were-they

• Options

Ooooh like elden ring ‘invader NPCs’ if you’re familiar with that
  • Options
    BH needs to be balanced around the severity of the corruption gains, purpuse of PK counts (if any) and the stats reduction of reds.

We have to wait till we can strike a balance. My opinion so far is that unless the corruption system is exactly as severe as the one in L2, the BHs become too much to bear.

Wait! I like your point. What if surviving a bounty Hunter removes corruption 👀
  • Options

I dont advocate for "more reds for BHs".
    Im saying that the recent announcements show that AoC system will be way more severe than L2, the main point being that (without being very clear) people will drop gear from the first PK, which wasnt the case in L2.

With such severity BHs are an extra pain in the ass. What more can be done for the BHs? Nothing that wont completely shut down PKing.

I feel surviving a bounty hunter (killing or escaping) should remove corruption maybe? If there’s a way to prevent friends from letting u boost it.
  • Options
    NyceGaming wrote: »

Wait! I like your point. What if surviving a bounty Hunter removes corruption 👀

Then you can fight a buddy or alt and he will wash the corruption.

In EVE Online we call this "kill right washing", it's a sad thing that exists
  • Options
    GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @NyceGaming there needs to be proper balancing on corruption so that people are voluntarily going corrupt, in order for it to even be worth being a bounty hunter.

The main change I want is for there to be a quest a player has to do in order to remove corruption off gear or items that drop from corrupted players. Because otherwise, corrupted players will just have a friend kill them in order to have the gear drop, and then give it back to the corrupted player. If there's a quest you need to do to cleanse corruption off items, then that gives time for bounty hunters to find and kill those players in a game of cat and mouse and get those items, as is the intended gameplay.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Options
    When the corruption system appears to be structured in such a way that players going red is an uncommon event, guess what? There’s nothing for bounty hunters to do. Being one becomes a dull experience, and any time which Intrepid will have spent developing complexity for the system before launch will end up being somewhat wasted.

On the other hand, if you lighten the automatic consequences for going red, thereby increasing the pool of corrupted players to hunt, then you get a sharp increase of less-PvP-centric players getting PKed, experiencing a net decrease to their enjoyment while playing. They are effectively being offered up to PKers for a cheaper price so that a totally unrelated player can have BH content.

Such a change, in my opinion, could be likened to politicians lowering the minimum sentencing for all forms of crime in order to get more criminals on the street for police to hunt down so that cops don’t lose their jobs, without offering any recompense to the victims of these new crimes. Sounds pretty silly, doesn’t it?

If this was instead turned into a PvX system where BHs were also able to hunt down monsters / enemy NPCs or something in addition to corrupted players, that could provide more content without hurting anyone else. It could involve some form of tracking, maybe talking to other NPCs along the way, a bit like Witcher monster hunting. The sharpest hunter gets to the prey first.

This way, no one else would have to suffer further for the content. They’re still bounty hunting, just not always/only hunting players. The PvE part of it would be sort of like going after mini-world-bosses with extra steps required to track them. The bounties could drop unique rewards and the player who dealt the most damage to it could turn in the bounty for cash.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited November 2022
    I had this kind of idea for balancing of the whole system.
    • grinding off corruption takes only 5-10 minutes on high value mobs (with the timer increasing with each PK counter tick obviously)
    • any loot picked up from the victim gets "marked" and only drops from the PKer if he's killed by a BH
    • once the PKer removes corruption, he gets a debuff that lets any BH murder him for free (the PKer doesn't flag up against the BH, so he suffers x1 death penalties; debuff goes away once any BH kills the PKer; green debuffed PKer doesn't gain corruption for killing a BH)
    • victim's loot is untradeable until the debuff runs out
    • debuff duration could be 20-30 mins
    • BHs see the PKer as long as he's Red or has the debuff
    • BHs loot the victim's stuff from the PKer and have to return it to the victim's node and leave it at some special building (that every node has)
    • if there was no victim loot, BHs just gotta report the kill to their org's master
    • the victim gets a system message that their stuff has been left for them at the special building or that their death was avenged
    • in both of those cases the victim can come to the special building and receive an XP boost relative to their lvl, so that they can remove their XP debt faster or just make up for lost time
    • BHs who fail to return the loot or report the kill get big penalties and after several missed reports will be kicked from the org and prohibited from joining it again

To me this seems fair. The PKers get to kill people and potentially avoid the x4 penalty, but not the x1 one (because a BH will always find and kill them). The BHs will always have targets to hunt and will even have competition between themselves, because only one BH can claim the bounty. The victims not only get their stuff back, but also get a boost that helps them get back to their pre-death state.

Oh, and the "exploit" of "friend is a BH and kills me to loot my gear and victim's stuff" only works for the PKer gear part, because if the BH friend fails to return the victim's loot and report the kill - they won't be a BH anymore.

In other words, this kind of system would literally reward all participants, while not killing open world PKing.

edit: added points about untradeability of loot, debuff duration and no corruption for killing BHs.