Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Possibly a small area where you can test your main class skills before you pick it?

Hey so I posted this idea a while ago but I had it in the wrong section so it got closed.

Basically, I'm thinking that maybe in character creation (or whenever you pick your class) there could be a small “test” button where you teleport to a small instanced area with a target dummy and you can test out the class you might want to main.

The ashes of creation wiki states that "A player cannot change their primary archetype". Plus even though the "Secondary archetypes may be changed augments do radically change the way your active skills provide you abilities".

I believe your first-class pick is pretty important and it’d be nice to know if you like the feel of a weapon before you pick it. I would also love to know how the second pick will affect the feel of my class.

I’m thinking something similar to the testing area in monster hunter world but on a smaller scale.

Wiki Link: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Fortunately, you can create more than one character on your account. Use these as test characters and play the one you like most as your Main...essentially what you are proposing except that your 'testing time' will earn you experience and advance your characters.
  • Options
    Hey so I posted this idea a while ago but I had it in the wrong section so it got closed.

Basically, I'm thinking that maybe in character creation (or whenever you pick your class) there could be a small “test” button where you teleport to a small instanced area with a target dummy and you can test out the class you might want to main.

The ashes of creation wiki states that "A player cannot change their primary archetype". Plus even though the "Secondary archetypes may be changed augments do radically change the way your active skills provide you abilities".

I believe your first-class pick is pretty important and it’d be nice to know if you like the feel of a weapon before you pick it. I would also love to know how the second pick will affect the feel of my class.

I’m thinking something similar to the testing area in monster hunter world but on a smaller scale.

yessss +100

it would be nice to have a feel for each class before committing to one.
    id love to be able to see all the archetypes skills and the augments from the 2nd archetype and maybe religion, etc before deciding on a main, even though im pretty sure ill be playing a cleric.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't see anyway to do this effectively with out providing information overload. There are far to many factors involved that the starting player has no way to know about never mind a frame of reference.
    In short far to many variables.

Let's look at 1 archetype.
    Mage till 25 then you would need to account for all 8 choices for the class. The add all possible augments from various sources social, religious ect. Then add weapons and armor as they will add to the complexity as well.
    Now they would have to do this for all 8 archetypes and classes.

WoW does what your looking for but their class system is super simplified compared to Ash's.
    You enter a zone and get to choose fire , frost or arcane nothing changes from these 3 basic specs. Gear and level effect power level but they don't change how the basic specs play.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Skills

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Augments
    Ashes of Creation hosts a wide array of progression paths that offer augments to a character's primary skills.[1][2]

Secondary archetypes.[3][4][5][6]
    Social organization progression.[3][4]
    Religious progression.[3][4]
    Racial augments.[7][3]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Weapons
    Weapons determine a player's damage output alongside other conditions and stats.[2][3]

Perhaps a few years after launch they could do a simplified version to give a basic idea of what you are looking for.

I think a better way is how it has all ways been done before. At Archetype selection in the character creation process give a base overview of the archetype.

Mage=Ranged caster damage dealer
    Cleric=Healer
    So on and so forth.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2022
    When I started eso in 2015 I went str8 to utube and watched.
    There is no need to develop such things. I cant help but smell a bit of entitlement here.
  • Options
    I think that would be great if they add some feature like you said. I think it feels different when you try class yourself and not watch youtube video.

• Options
    I guess you forgot about exploration and trial and error.
    How can you be awed if you already know exactly what you expect.
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »

Same goes for watching youtube videos then or watching dev streams...
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Might be nice to have a PTS running with classes you can try without having to level up.
  • Options
    BlackBrony wrote: »

Same goes for watching youtube videos then or watching dev streams...

Then we are on the same page.
  • Options
    BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited November 2022
    It's a pretty good feature that many games have. But I don't think we'll have that in-game, I will be surprised if they add small preview videos/GIFs for some skills of each of the archetypes.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    Mr_MaDrupalowMr_MaDrupalow Member
    edited November 2022
    With 64 archetypes this would get way to complex plus you have even more systems which are connected to that like mentioned
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Augments
    Ashes of Creation hosts a wide array of progression paths that offer augments to a character's primary skills.[1][2]

Secondary archetypes.[3][4][5][6]
    Social organization progression.[3][4]
    Religious progression.[3][4]
    Racial augments.[7][3]

I`d rather go for for a simple preview in the caracter creation menu where you can see the stock attributes of the selected primary archetype combined with the Racial augments and optionally you can add a second archetype to see the stock attributes in combination. Additionally the available/choosen weapon(s) and their attributes added on top the stock attributes. (Or do I remember right that it is possible to have all weapontypes on all archetypes?)

On top of that, which would be really cool but makes it more if not too complex already, is a skill preview like in LoL for each archetype or atleast for every primary one. :smirk:
    Like @BaSkA13_ mentioned before.

The Past determines your decisions in the Present & the Present determines your decisions in the Future.The Future is obsolete until it becomes the Present - The Endless Spiral
  • Options
    GandalfthegrapeGandalfthegrape Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is one of the few things Lost Arc does this really well. You can basically try out your whole class against waves of enemies.
  • Options
    This is one of the few things Lost Arc does this really well. You can basically try out your whole class against waves of enemies.

But only ingame if I remember right?
    At the character creation menu you can only see the preview with some skills just like in LoL.
    The Past determines your decisions in the Present & the Present determines your decisions in the Future.The Future is obsolete until it becomes the Present - The Endless Spiral
  • Options
    Sounds interesting that idea, Lost Ark has it.

but...I prefer to discover the potential of each class by myself
  • Options
    I don't feel like it will be very necessary but it wouldn't hurt so long as they make it optional.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the old-school way, you level it up and figure out if you like it or not by yourself. If you don't, reroll.. that's more monthly subs for the company.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Personally, I would be more interested in being able to read/see the unlockable Skills an archetype has before having to grind out levels to unlock them. Something like bdo.... where you can see the whole skill tree and a quick visual of the skill prior to unlocking it. This is HUGE to me as a PVPer I need to know what my class is going to be capable of prior to 200 hours of lvling to unlock that last Uber skill that turns out not to all that great for how I wanted to play the character..... IE: Rogue warrior or Warrior rogue they may be similar in a lot of ways but likely very different in pvp skills AOE, CCs, CDs ECT! ESPECIALLY IF alpha and Beta will not allow players to progress to max level. Some players live only to theory craft and make builds do crazy things. But going in blind is extremely painful.
  • Options
    Ninja KittyNinja Kitty Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    With 64 archetypes this would get way to complex

The secondary archetype doesn't get picked until later on in the game. Maybe just a demo of the class at the level with the abilities right before you would get to pick a secondary class would be easy enough to implement? And that would still help give you an idea of what the main abilities and play style for that class are and how the combat animations look.
  • Options

The secondary archetype doesn't get picked until later on in the game.
    I know but it still would be an option in the caracter creator menu eventho I dislike it because it would be way too much "testing options" then and take the inquisitive part of exploring the 64 archetypes in actual gameplay. That's why I mentioned it before.
    Maybe just a demo of the class at the level with the abilities right before you would get to pick a secondary class would be easy enough to implement? And that would still help give you an idea of what the main abilities and play style for that class are and how the combat animations look.

Well yeah there are many options and ideas which would work. I will stick to my quote

"I`d rather go for a simple preview in the caracter creation menu where you can see the stock attributes of the selected primary archetype combined with the racial augments and optionally you can add a second archetype to see the stock attributes in combination. Additionally the available/choosen weapon(s) and their attributes added on top the stock attributes. (Or do I remember right that it is possible to have all weapontypes on all archetypes?)"

To make it clear : above I meant to actually test the secondary archetypes beforehand.
    In my last quote I meant to just add the additional stock attributes from a secondary archetype to your primary one, all in the character menu to check the best combination and preference without some "testing rooms"

• Options
    I think overall, a small even overview of a handful of skills would be ok. Nothing more than maybe some tooltips so you kind of know what to expect. As a newer mmo player (by some people's standards SWG > onward) I can imagine some people may pick a class and not know what they are going to get such as bard etc.

I really don't want a parsing dummy or a zone to fight in but again I think a small "this is the key skills from level 1-10" or some tooltip infographic you can look into would be warranted on a small level but part of these games is falling in love with a class or figuring it out in a nebulous space.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Let's see...each basic archetype will have a large number of combinations of skill choices (you cannot pick them all), perhaps about 60 choices. Then your secondary archetype will have another large number of skill enhancement choices, let's assume another 60 possible skill combinations. Then we have 64 archetypes, so that is 60 x 60 x 64 or 302,400 different builds even prior to considering the impact of weapons, weapon enhancements, armor and enhancements, jewelry and enhancements, racial differences, guild skills and other stuff.

So, the variety of different builds we will have in the game will certainly far exceed the number of players on your server and possibly the number of players in the game.

That is why I really think that trying out the different archetypes and skills prior to choosing one is not particularly useful. Sure, I will see replies saying 'Don't show all that in the trials" but which do you include and which do you leave out? Whatever your choices, others will complain.

As I said earlier in the thread, we will have several alts. Make some characters and try them out for a dozen levels or so and see which you like most! Delete the ones you don't like.
  • Options
    SirChancelotSirChancelot Member
    edited November 2022

I would absolutely love something like this. Even if it's just something simple like that waiting area before an apoc match. With the ability to freely respec skill points and change secondaries. It would also be cool to have some target dummies or test mob areas.

Some said it would be info overload for people new to it, I don't care. It's just an experimentation/practice tool that has no impact on the world. It's not meant to be the game.

Some said go look at YouTube videos...
    A.) I think that's useless because that doesn't help me figure out what I like the feel of at all.
    B.) if I want to test some specific class combo and augment setup odds of me finding someone who has tested that are kinda small... As proved by the math people have done in this thread too
    C.) I'll still say the whole go google/youtube it was what eroded the genre into what it is today... So you're the problem...

Why would we need an experimentation platform then? Just go play in the world and excitement there.
    The last thing I want to do is sink 50+ hours in playing archetype X because I want to see what class X/Y is like and have it turn out that my theorycrafting was total garbage and I hate the class and need to reroll.
    Some people will be all for that being the case, but I'm going to say mixing that with old school long leveling grinds is just going to feel bad.
  • Options
    Personally, I would be more interested in being able to read/see the unlockable Skills an archetype has before having to grind out levels to unlock them. Something like bdo.... where you can see the whole skill tree and a quick visual of the skill prior to unlocking it. This is HUGE to me as a PVPer I need to know what my class is going to be capable of prior to 200 hours of lvling to unlock that last Uber skill that turns out not to all that great for how I wanted to play the character..... IE: Rogue warrior or Warrior rogue they may be similar in a lot of ways but likely very different in pvp skills AOE, CCs, CDs ECT! ESPECIALLY IF alpha and Beta will not allow players to progress to max level. Some players live only to theory craft and make builds do crazy things. But going in blind is extremely painful.

This
  • Options
    I like games which you can reset your build and saving a few presets

A preset for dungeoning, one for siges, etc
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    What dungeoing preset? You can get attacked any momeny by other players. What will that preset do?
  • Options
    What dungeoing preset? You can get attacked any momeny by other players. What will that preset do?

Tanks could want more CC in PvP scenario but if doing a dungeon need more mitigation
    Healers could have single target and AOE focused presets

But yeah dps is the same for anything/everything .

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Interesting how many people still don't grasp PvX.
    Like George said what preset?
    People are still trying to separate PvE and PvP when this can't be done outside of an instanced dungeon.
    Skill trees can only be reset in town and not on the fly.
    Building and having separate pre saved spec's is a good idea but you will need to spec for PvX at all times.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Optics2134 wrote: »

I agree something like a skill window showing an animation of the skills like in bdo would be enough for me. Then there is an element of surprise in how the skill actually feels but you have a good idea of how it will play. I also like that you can’t pick all the skills it makes each character more unique and exciting to pick each skill.
  • Options

Tanks could want more CC in PvP scenario but if doing a dungeon need more mitigation
    Healers could have single target and AOE focused presets

But yeah dps is the same for anything/everything .

What PvP scenario and what dungeon scenario are you talking about? You canr swap settings mid combat and PvP could happen any moment. What's the point of selecting your mitigation setup and the next second you get jumped? Dont you understand what PvX means?

There are no pvp presets, there are no dps presets, you progress your char and you are ready for anything. Only those in large organized groups can have both pve and pvp groups at the same spot, one fighting and the other raiding.
    Everybody else should wake up and forget about PvE and PvP.
    There is no point "gearing up for pve" or setting "pve skills" when you can get involved in pvp at any moment. What dont you understand?
    Why are you talking about cc for pvp and mitigation for pve? There arent such scenarios.
  • Options
    Interesting how many people still don't grasp PvX.
    Like George said what preset?
    People are still trying to separate PvE and PvP when this can't be done outside of an instanced dungeon.
    Skill trees can only be reset in town and not on the fly.
    Building and having separate pre saved spec's is a good idea but you will need to spec for PvX at all times.

Oh there. One person gets it.