Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why is the female armor a copy paste of the male armor?

kktooq5yt6lq.png

This was posted on their twitter.
What is the point of playing a female character if they put literally no effort into making female cosmetics? They just took the male armor and mirrored it, shrunk it a little, then photoshopped a female head on it and said done. They have been making a lot of the armor lately so similar its hard to tell any difference. I'm not asking for bikini armor at all, just make it something different from the males at least so we can tell a difference more easily.
«1

Comments

  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I don't see the issue.

    Not every piece of equipment needs to look different on males and females.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Lithion wrote: »
    kktooq5yt6lq.png

    This was posted on their twitter.
    What is the point of playing a female character if they put literally no effort into making female cosmetics? They just took the male armor and mirrored it, shrunk it a little, then photoshopped a female head on it and said done. They have been making a lot of the armor lately so similar its hard to tell any difference. I'm not asking for bikini armor at all, just make it something different from the males at least so we can tell a difference more easily.

    One easy way to test if your point makes sense to the sort of person who does this sort of design/decision making in the current world is to flip all the targeted identifiers in it and see if it sounds normal to you still.

    I'm not judging your point because that really comes down to, as I said, if it sounds normal to YOU still.

    "What is the point of playing a male character if they put literally no effort into making male cosmetics? They just took the female armor and mirrored it, enlarged it a little, then photoshopped a male head on it and said done. They have been making a lot of the armor lately so similar its hard to tell any difference. I'm not asking for guts armor at all, just make it something different from the females at least so we can tell a difference more easily."

    If the exact same discussion occurs, then no one can complain or dismiss it.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.
    
  • Options
    @Azherae To me it would be the same issue, men and women of most cultures have different styles. They have said they want each race to be easily identifiable and different from each other, but why not the gender also? In this game most people will be wearing full gear with helmets on, if they keep going like this you wouldn't be able to tell male from female very well so then the gender selection wouldn't really matter and i just feel like it is a bit lazy in the design.

    Like legit look at the body its not even the woman's body its the males same bicep down to the last scratch and smudge. I'm all for unisex armor also but i feel like they are just getting a little lazy with it and not even trying. I would also just like to see some more options to be able to roleplay a more feminine woman.
  • Options
    Well, this is certainly another one of those monthly cosmetics that won't make the buck of the sales out of players based only on the female cosmetic, the trend continues.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Lithion wrote: »
    They have said they want each race to be easily identifiable and different from each other, but why not the gender also?
    Game assets are a cost.

    It isn't as if Intrepid are going to hire additional character artists just to make gender specific models of items. It isn't as if Steven is going to demand the artists they have now work overtime to create these models.

    What this means is that in order to make sure every skin in the game has a male and female version for every race, it means less models in the game over all.

    So, what the character art lead needs to do is work out what skins can be simply resized for different races and genders in order to be as efficient as possible (and thus have the highest output as possible). This will result in some skins absolutely just being resized when it makes sense (it makes sense in armor), but then to also make sure that when it is needed, gender specific models are created (more applicable to clothing than to armor).

    It is just the reality of production.

    As I said, I don't see the issue here.
  • Options
    Lithion wrote: »
    I'm not asking for bikini armor at all, just make it something different from the males at least so we can tell a difference more easily.

    They could make the males have scottish outfit! :D
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    GandalfthegrapeGandalfthegrape Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If you put on a jacket then give it someone of another sex, what would cause it change exactly?
  • Options
    If you put on a jacket then give it someone of another sex, what would cause it change exactly?

    The pheromones would make it fall in love and become a family and use teleport to you. (without jacket)
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    If you put on a jacket then give it someone of another sex, what would cause it change exactly?

    Nothing visible would change but I guess the experience for the other person would change as the comfort would feel different, especially if the jacket isn't unisex but cut for the bodyshape of one specific gender in mind.

    If this Ren'Kai lady has a bigger bust I'm sure this chestpiece would be a bit uncomfortable to her.
  • Options
    Happymeal2415Happymeal2415 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    How do you know the male armor isn't a copy paste of the female armor?
  • Options
    ScarbeusScarbeus Member
    edited November 2022
    Because if you gave women the stupid minimalistic armour you see in other games then they would get stabbed in the gut and would bleed to death. This game has actual armour in it!

    Edit: also when you say you want to 'tell the difference more easily', what would you consider a change for them to make to the armour to tell the difference?
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    That armor has such a heavy look to it that it's not really a good example to address the question. Cloth and leather could allow more distinction and some of the "finer" looking plate sets as well.
  • Options
    It's also pre sale cosmetics. I am buying this pack specifically because I like everything else and pledging at "Voyager" gives me the lizard/cloak/etc and those look great. I agree that armor shouldn't be copy pasted, but at the end of the day those aren't even renders. It's concept art and I could truly care less about concept art of pre game/pre sale cosmetic pieces. We will all probably be wearing armor from the game anyway. Also choose with your wallet is pretty applicable here.
  • Options
    The way I see it is pretty simple

    The healthy male and female crowd are going to be playing this game regardless of how unadventrous the cosmetic differences are due to the sheer amount of good mmo concepts involved.
    However, if armor were to be anywhere near the "fun" levels then it brings forth terrible woke journalism and attention that can just simply be avoided.

    Conclusion : woke mob wins, fantasy "exists" but females need to be seen as just the same as their male counterparts, no questions.
  • Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited November 2022
    It is a Ren'Kai, gender differences may not be the same as standard humans, having similar armor sets makes sense to me especially for a race like Ren'Kai
  • Options
    I think it's fine?

    Should we have even more bikini armors?
    I think it depends on the culture, if the culture is related to being militaristic and practical then they should be the same or almost the same
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Not to play millenial's advocate, BUT....

    What - exactly - would make this armor set "female"?

    What are you wanting? Low-riding chest armor, as to show cleavage? Cut-off armor below the chest, as to show a bare mid-section? Armor that absolutely no one possessing any sense would ever take into battle? Do the legs need to be un-covered? Do the boots need 6-inch heels?

    What about any females that aren't cis-gendered? Joan of Arc wore a man's armor; They didn't low-cut the chestplate nor make her wear a thong. If anything? She probably just enjoyed that there was so much extra room in the crotch.



  • Options
    JudethJudeth Member
    edited November 2022
    I don't mind it as long as the armor doesn't delete her chest (if the player gave her one). The breast plate doesn't need to appear well-endowed, so long as it curves and isn't just flat. Some people might say this is unnecessary, but as a female fencer with personal experience with breast plates I think I have a right to leave my two-cents.

    I find the cup shaped breast plates more comfortable and safe than the flat ones. A flat one puts pressure on your goods and it can hurt when hit. Cupped ones fit around the breasts and do not put added pressure on them. Getting hit in your breast often can lead to breast cancer, it's also rather painful.

    If anyone needs more evidence than that. Men's medieval armor more often had a curved chest. This created a stronger plate and helped protect against direct hits since the weapons would slide across the plate. So clearly a woman could comfortably wear this.

    To summarize: I think female armor should be fitted to a female frame.

    Added note: I do not want any bikini armor. I think skimpy armor should have a debuff.

    Edit: Also wanted to note, a curved breast plate could work for both the male and female variants.
  • Options
    I think it's okay if some of them are neutral, important even. I was pretty put out by a month where a suit of armor would've looked great on females but they got a dress instead. Oh well, it happens.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Were you expecting a side slit and a cleavage for females? Not every single armor need a different type for females. Some can be neutral. I think for this specific race, it's appropriate. I wouldn't expect a female orc to be femme.

    Please keep in mind, this is all CONCEPT ART, this is not a T shape model or an in-game model. So the way it is fitted, might be very different for final.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Many months in a row the female designs are copy paste from males. Nearly a year now. That's the fact.

    Since they are npc designs and NOT cosmetic products for sale people shouldnt be too upset, unless they are afraid that all female armors will be male copy pastes. I dont think so, I hope not.

    But mb IS should throw a bone to female players. When was the last time they showed a distinct female design in the monthly cosmetics? Even if it is an npc design.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    I love it! there is no such thing as "boob armor" this is what armor for females would look like in a realistic setting.

    This is perfectly accurate, as all things should be.

    3ey5erglggfv.png
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Liniker wrote: »
    I love it! there is no such thing as "boob armor" this is what armor for females would look like in a realistic setting.

    This is perfectly accurate, as all things should be.

    3ey5erglggfv.png

    Realistic armors?
    There are no realistic armors in most mmos both female and male. None of them would be functional. Armors weapons, they arent realistic at all.
    Realism is your argument to discredit people that want to look good?

  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    I mean... I do like women, I like quite a lot in fact

    But hey, there's other places nerds can quench their curiosity, the game is no place for that

    I want to see the women here in beautiful dresses and armors. Items with nice cloth, nice details on their armor and everything, nice crests, nice jewels and everything else

    I don't want the game looking like one of those generic Korean MMOS that a certain public crave.

    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    I mean... I do like women, I like quite a lot in fact

    But hey, there's other places nerds can quench their curiosity, the game is no place for that

    I want to see the women here in beautiful dresses and armors. Items with nice cloth, nice details on their armor and everything, nice crests, nice jewels and everything else

    I don't want the game looking like one of those generic Korean MMOS that a certain public crave.

    Who said anything about korean designs?
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2022
    Realistic armors?
    There are no realistic armors in most mmos both female and male. None of them would be functional. Armors weapons, they arent realistic at all.
    Realism is your argument to discredit people that want to look good?

    you are right, and this is 100% just personal preference, I am not a fan of how most RPGs portray female armor, I usually don't play female characters because of it - intrepid's approach makes me happy.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Pretty sure we'll be able to dye the armor pink....
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Many months in a row the female designs are copy paste from males. Nearly a year now. That's the fact.

    The last clearly gender distinct monthly cosmetic was actually the Feb 2021(a.k.a Flawless Finery)
    So it's actually nearing 2 years.
    Noaani wrote: »
    It is just the reality of production.

    Yep, i also really do believe it's their method of reducing the production cost/labor in half with all the unisex cosmetics and i also see no issue with it, if they focus that cost/labor elsewhere.

    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ebe2eu9f4uhp.png

    they changed it :D

    still no boob armor, which I'm happy with
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    If you want to dress like a girl its simple. Play an elf.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
Sign In or Register to comment.