Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How will the Corruption System be explained in game?

RudRud Member
edited November 2022 in General Discussion
Im sure everyone who is following this game has a good idea of how this corruption system works.

But im more worried about the randoms that download/buy the game at launch because its the new thing on the block.

I can see some newb mining or cutting trees or whatever and then [insert player] attacks them, they fight back and die, lets say this happens over and over until at some point they are like "this dude just keeps killing me over and over and there are no consequenses at all for him, this game is dumb, gankers paradise", and then just quit the game not knowing that the reason [insert player] suffers seemingly no consequenses at all is because they made the "mistake" of fighting back.

Is the fact that the person being attacked has to essentially play the part of a perfect victim (roll over and die) for the corruption system to do anything at all going to be clearly commumicated to new players? And if so how do you think?

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Are people that hopeless in 2022?
    Do we need a breathing tutorial for newborns?
  • Options
    RudRud Member
    edited November 2022
    Are people that hopeless in 2022?
    Do we need a breathing tutorial for newborns?

If its not explained in game then how would they know? Do you expect every single person who buys the game to research the wiki and or scour the forums and watch the livestreams for information first about systems first?

Thats not reasonable, it has to be explained in game.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2022
    It is explained in game, through lore about how and why you become personally corrupted vs world corruption, the reason why the original races fled to Sanctus. And why they have now returned. Anyone who runs out into the woods and starts swinging an axe to get repeatedly ganked in your example that can't figure out why the person doing so now appears red or purple instead of green, why they are also experiencing exp debt and other death effects, and other blatant indicators in gameplay are as thick as the tree they are cutting.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    You can't. You learn by playing. You don't need to explain corruption. If you die the first time against a player and a non auto flag zone, you simply say "if you fight back you lose more materials". You don't need a wikipedia.
    There's no point in explaining things before it happens. I mean, right now we have a whole wiki and people keep posting nonsense in here, unable to read.
    Also, who reads tutorials? Like let's be real.
  • Options
    I agree with the OP in that when attached, the response of "roll over and die" is not intuitive and not obvious. Few of the millions of hopefuls will discover the mechanics through the wiki. Few will encounter the correct lore early enough, or read through the lore fully, or extrapolate the correct game mechanics from the lore.

I personally dislike the "roll over and die" mechanic. It seems absurd, counterintuitive and not fun at all.
  • Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited November 2022
    Simple tutorial in the beginning, select a class then you lose control of your character, your camera zooms out and you watch as your character starts gathering some trees and rocks, then after 15-30 seconds someone comes up to you and kills your character marking them purple. The game then shows them dying to a red player and dropping armor, then it shows the flow chart for PVP and shows you an in game tab where you can always find that chart.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Rud wrote: »
    But im more worried about the randoms that download/buy the game at launch because its the new thing on the block.

I can see some newb mining or cutting trees or whatever and then [insert player] attacks them, they fight back and die, lets say this happens over and over until at some point they are like "this dude just keeps killing me over and over and there are no consequenses at all for him, this game is dumb, gankers paradise", and then just quit the game not knowing that the reason [insert player] suffers seemingly no consequenses at all is because they made the "mistake" of fighting back.
    Maybe it's just me, but...
    I can't think of any game I've played without Googling info about it first.
    I can't imagine dying over and over and over again and not checking Google or YouTube to figure out why it's happening so often.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but...
    I can't think of any game I've played without Googling info about it first.
    I'm the same. And I'm so much like that that it often frustrates me to no end when people don't know literally anything about the game they're playing. And don't even start me on the people that have paid money for AoC's bundles, yet got 0 fucking clue about the core pillars of the game's design.

It just doesn't compute in my mind how someone can be like that.
  • Options
    I feel stress everytime a carebear starts whinning about losing a bit of lumber

I was one shotted in every possible game I played and that never stopped my progression

All carebears are just pretty much lying with their over exaggeration, everytime a ganker showed up in a noobie area like a champion he could kill a few people and the got killed

Everytime!

The corruption system is extremely overpowered already and people will still whine

I promise I will whine if i see people adding 10.000 wood in the market without being stopped
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    ManueljfManueljf Member
    edited November 2022
    NiKr wrote: »

It just doesn't compute in my mind how someone can be like that.

I downloaded some popular phone p2w MMO and played it for few weeks. I decided to experience the game as a complete noob trying to figure out most things in game in order to feel more inmersive experience and abandon the min maxing mindset to play for fun. So I didn't Google anything or watched any YouTube. Made a ton of mistakes but it was fun, it brought back to my memory the times of old school gameplay where things were unknown and mysterious and there weren't hundreds of min maxers guides and tutorials everywhere in the internet and you just explored the game trying to discover how to do stuff.
  • Options
    Rud wrote:
    How will the Corruption System be explained in game?

I think there will be a sign posted outside the gates:

DONTBEANASSHOLE2_1_of_1_1024x1024.jpg
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    Manueljf wrote: »
    I downloaded some popular phone p2w MMO and played it for few weeks.
    Did you know that it was a p2w mmo when you were downloading it though? Or were you just scrolling through phone games, liked the icon and didn't read anything at all about the game itself?
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I expect there will be a quest in starting areas which ends up explaining the corruption system, just like I expect a quest about crafting systems, and nodes, and other basic game mechanics.

Players will be explaining it to each other as well. There will always be a few problems, but it will probably not be a totally major issue.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Ashes of Creation will have tooltips and tutorials ;) Also, accessibility settings are important to us!
    community_management.gif
  • Options

My understanding is that the trigger for corruption is a killing blow, so it's not exactly a black and white concept. Eg is there scope to follow someone around harassing them to a point that they don't have enough HP to do what they were doing, but not to the point of killing. Would this action allow you to avoid corruption? Seems like activity the system is supposed to curb.

Not sure how tool tips would be written to document killing blows, but if the corruption event was based on attacking in general, there could be pop-ups that could be disabled in settings

'You have attacked a non combatant, stop or you will become /gain corruption"

vs

"You (noncombattant) are being attacked by a combattant. If you defend yourself you will become flagged"
  • Options
    There some nuance to the corruption system that player may not get even if they played L2. Things like healing a purple turns you purple, and when you are green, attacking a red does not turn you purple.

If you have never played a white/green - purple - red flag system, it'll be worth a tutorial.