Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How many years you expect to play AoC?

What will make you stay and play longer than you played your previous MMOs?
Or what can Ashes of Creation do, to keep you longer than previous MMOs did?
September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    One.

The servers staying up. I don't think I can remember an MMO that I liked, that I also 'quit entirely before the servers came down'. I guess Neverwinter... sorta... but the reason I don't play that is below. Also, reverting that Open Seas PvP thing/having a better community than the trend suggests it will.

Probably not possible to do anything more than equal them. Aside from that... see above. Also 'not have a trash economy that makes the gameplay loops pointless in a competitive game because one doesn't get to (or want to) participate in them anyway' (Neverwinter).
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'll be here till it dies most likely.

What will make me stay and play longer?: they're already doing it with the lack of p2w

What can AOC do to keep me playing: keep updating the game. Having fresh and fun dynamic content will keep players on it for decades.

lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't know how long I will play the game for - as long as I find it enjoyable, I suppoose :D

Frequent content updates/patches and an active playerbase are my prerequisites for an enjoyable playing experience in MMO's
  • Options
    First, you have to tell me if it's gonna be any good, then I can answer the question. At $15/month it will need to prove itself year in and year out. I have hopes but that will only carry you for so far.
  • Options
    Nova_terraNova_terra Member
    edited November 2022
    Shamelessly ripping Azherae's format.

3-7 (wide range for reasons that I haven't played A2)

I tend to play games for a long time as I find community often, this game will make me stay longer if it looks as good as it currently does and they continue with that quality of work, and if they find the right balance of scarcity with resources and promote node war/macro-economic and militaristic factors that match their design document.

• Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited November 2022
    How many years will I stay
    Most likely something like 1-2 years of super activity, then minimal activity for a year+ then probably super active again for 1-2 years, then a 6-12 month break and repeat.
    Server populations remaining active, the game state remaining true to its vision, and PVP and PVE content is balanced across the classes.
  • Options
    I rarely get to the 2 years mark in MMOs. Usually once I've leveled a few character to max level I'm more or less done with my exploration of both the world and character class mechanics. The end game raiding loop never attracted me: too repetitive and I don't really care for the "better" reward. I've stopped playing many before even getting one character max level too.

In the early days, new MMOs were launching with better graphics and new interesting gameplay concepts well within the 2 years of the other titles. My friends and I would hop to the fresh new one without a thought or regret. I still hold found memories of all the MMOs I've played, they all had positive elements, but they all had negative ones too, and, in the end, I've stopped playing all of them. The only one I've returned to was WoW. The first time when my friends convinced me to reroll on a PvE server instead of our previous PvP one (I had left not long after the "honour" system first launched) and the second time was in Classic to try the classes I hadn't played before. I never went past the Burning Crusade expansion. The last MMO I've played was GW2, for 3-4 months when it launched.

I don't know what it will take for Ashes to hold me longer than the others.

For perspective, my usual limit in single player games is around 80 hours. There are a few exceptions which hooked me in the 100+ hours. Battletech (360h), Dirt Rally (270h), Divinity: Original Sin (142h), Skyrim (128h) and The Long Dark (115h).
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Gonna play it till it dies if I like the final design of the game. Right now there's been a few design directions that I don't quite prefer. If Intrepid continues to move in those directions - I'll stop playing once my alpha2 bundle gametime runs out.
  • Options
    IzilIzil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If the systems work well i dont think any other mmorpg can replace it for me so will probably play until it dies eventually
    Izil.png
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »

Probably not possible to do anything more than equal them. Aside from that... see above. Also 'not have a trash economy that makes the gameplay loops pointless in a competitive game because one doesn't get to (or want to) participate in them anyway' (Neverwinter).

In order to make economy stable it is important to have small things such as having recipe drops for mana potions from certain bosses on low drop chance. Vanilla WoW did it and its something special. I never played game with better economy from Vanilla WoW.

Also one more thing they can do is design vendors to sell bags from starter areas, let's say bag of 4 slots is 7 silver, person that can make bags from profession will sell them under that price, so you set price for stable economy, also don't do that on starter areas only, do it for every bag except the best one that person can make from profession. Things like that can really have an impact on how people will decide prices. Developers should take responsibility for it, as devs in vanilla wow did and they surely made game special.

• Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Gonna play it till it dies if I like the final design of the game. Right now there's been a few design directions that I don't quite prefer. If Intrepid continues to move in those directions - I'll stop playing once my alpha2 bundle gametime runs out.

@NiKr Care to comment on which design directions aren't sitting well with you? New poster, former lurker so curious what new items are rubbing you the wrong way and haven't seen previous posts to answer this.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The way the game is going right now, I am unsure if I'll even bother playing the live game.

Things like the land management system just come across to me as a barrier to people being able to play the game. It's just a poor game design philosophy, and if that is the kind of decision that is being made now then I have to lump this game in with Dreamworld, only with better graphics due to having more money behind it.
  • Options
    This game will have huge problems because of hard core PVP players. Every MMO with systems similar to AoC failed. They will optimize fun for everyone else, and most people that are not into PVP won't bother with 80% of PVE bosses and dungeons that are in open world, these PVP players will camp these areas for their fun, this game is PVP game, don't let them lie to you.
  • Options
    I think the game has the potential to be my longest played mmo since EQ, meaning it could last years, but I have to echo the concerns others are having. The land management system seems very poorly thought out. The open seas being open pvp contradicts the idea that the corruption system is the answer to owpvp vs griefing. It also misunderstands risk vs reward imo, because it just shifts all the risk onto pve play and removes it almost entirely from pvp.

I also have big concerns that this game is going to end up being very elitist, with a small "upper class" of players having exclusive access to the best gear and content, while a large permanent "under class" will never have access to large portions of the game. I might make a discussion post about that later to see what others think.

If the game is as good as I hope it can be, I can see myself spending years in it. If it is as bad as I fear it might be, probably 6 months to a year before I get fed up and quit.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This game will have huge problems because of hard core PVP players. Every MMO with systems similar to AoC failed. They will optimize fun for everyone else, and most people that are not into PVP won't bother with 80% of PVE bosses and dungeons that are in open world, these PVP players will camp these areas for their fun, this game is PVP game, don't let them lie to you.

While it definitely SOUNDS like that right now, most games that could be good PvX would sound like that when you explain them at first.

That's why people want to test how Corruption will work. Lineage sounds like it will just be PvP all the time but apparently isn't. BDO definitely sounds like it should have lots of PvP but it doesn't.

It's usually just that very specific types of players get really 'hype' about their PvP options before the designers explain all the ways why their playstyles won't work.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Nova_terra wrote: »
    NiKr Care to comment on which design directions aren't sitting well with you? New poster, former lurker so curious what new items are rubbing you the wrong way and haven't seen previous posts to answer this.
    Mainly the open seas change, while also reassuring that the corruption system is insanely harsh. I personally would prefer if the corruption system was properly balanced against the BH system, with several additions that would make the overall system have a more positive feedback loop of victim/killer interaction.

As Azherae pointed out, the "pvp" games with a similar corruption system rarely get a ton of pvp already and Steven made the system even harsher (not sure if harsher than BDO's, but definitely L2's). All while pushing forced flagging zones into the game's design. That kinda rubs me the wrong way, even if I myself love pvping.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Nova_terra wrote: »
    NiKr Care to comment on which design directions aren't sitting well with you? New poster, former lurker so curious what new items are rubbing you the wrong way and haven't seen previous posts to answer this.
    Mainly the open seas change, while also reassuring that the corruption system is insanely harsh. I personally would prefer if the corruption system was properly balanced against the BH system, with several additions that would make the overall system have a more positive feedback loop of victim/killer interaction.

As Azherae pointed out, the "pvp" games with a similar corruption system rarely get a ton of pvp already and Steven made the system even harsher (not sure if harsher than BDO's, but definitely L2's). All while pushing forced flagging zones into the game's design. That kinda rubs me the wrong way, even if I myself love pvping.

As a thought, the BH system on the open ocean is a massive opportunity that Intrepid have lost. Having open seas corruption but where the entire ship (not necessarily crew - the ship) gain corruption and can be hunted like pirates would have been actually awesome.
  • Options
    I see myself playing this game for at least a year, though it can definitely be extended if there's good community or guild I'll be in, and if there's enough end-game content, but it all remains to be seen, fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    As a thought, the BH system on the open ocean is a massive opportunity that Intrepid have lost. Having open seas corruption but where the entire ship (not necessarily crew - the ship) gain corruption and can be hunted like pirates would have been actually awesome.
    Imagine the chases!! The zeroing on the ship by several BH ships from several directions and the potential to evade their pursuit by the corrupted ship.

Or hell, do smth like Sea of Thieves' cloud effects, where everyone sees location of some thing from miles away, and make that "thing" the corrupted ship. Don't even need to tie BHs into this (though they could probably have better or more timely updates on the movements of the corrupted ship, while the cloud effects would just indicate a general location and would get updated once every 2-3 mins).

The potential could've been fucking huge, but now we just have a boring ffa that will most likely devolve into griefing sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    I'll tell you how much beer I want to buy after I taste it. If it's close to what I expect, I'll empty the shelves. ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    If it turns out the way we are all expecting and hoping, i would guess 10-15+ years. I've been playing ESO consistently since 2014.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Amist wrote: »
    Frequent content updates/patches and an active playerbase are my prerequisites for an enjoyable playing experience in MMO's

This is all I could ask for as a humble MMO gamer 🙏
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As a lifetime sub, hopefully it is my final destination. But it is far to early to tell for sure.
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »

I mean, the game still needs to have good game design. Frequent updates are a bad thing if the developers are taking the game in a bad direction.
  • Options
    Depends on:
    - The level of griefing due to owPvP. While corruption system sounds ok, there are too many work arounds at the moment as stated by Lucky ghost in a recent video.

- How much of the world ends being controlled by large guilds i.e. If the only way to play the game is being part of a large guild. In other words, what opportunities are available for small guilds. Zerging is griefing, for me.

- How exploitable the game mechanics end up being.

These questions need to be answered post release for answers to have a meaningful weight to them. The game is looking good so far. On mere speculation, anywhere from 1 month (minimum subscription time) to however long life permits or the next best things crops up.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Noaani wrote: »
    Vaknar wrote: »

I mean, the game still needs to have good game design. Frequent updates are a bad thing if the developers are taking the game in a bad direction.

Of course the game systems need to be enjoyable! I suppose the question I was answering was the one in regards to what would keep me around for longer but I do think that ties into the active player base and whether or not I find the game enjoyable personally
  • Options
    DezmerizingDezmerizing Member
    edited November 2022
    I am definitely a loyal player to the MMOs that hook me. I played WoW since launch (with a few breaks here and there) and stopped permanently around spring this year. I also played GW2 from BETA (but with long periods of inactive time inbetween) - still playing it while waiting for something else to scratch my MMORPG-scratch.

I am the very definition of a PvX player, I love doing both PvE and PvP content at the highest levels (although less so now as I got a son that is now 3 months :smile: ).

The most important aspects to me are the following:
    * Since the game runs with a strong PvP based gameplay, it will have to have very frequent PvP balance patches that is done by experienced PvP players. GW2 is failing big time at this, same professions (classes) and specs have been on top for years and years.
    * The endless PvE system (aka, the skill based difficulty) needs to feel rewarding enough for players to keep pushing. Remember that PvE also needs a lot of tuning to be fun and not have the same metabuilds run year in and year out!
    * The node system got mad potential, but I can't help worry about the monopoly. In BDO, the entire game eventually became "join the big forces, or die". While I get that AoC is supposed to be a player-driven system that want to encourage/force player interaction, remember that the lone wolves are also a part of the player community. Be careful so that entire servers do not end up in the hold of community tyrants and unholy alliances.
    * Be careful with the cosmetic shop. If players feel like they have to pay to look fancy in a game that already is PayToPlay, then you'll lose out on a lot of players.
    * Loads of open world events and secrets! Add rare spawns with fun loot, events and other things to make sure players constantly discover fun things as they proceed. c:

That's the most important stuff, I suppose. Other than that, I'd also like to mention:

* When it comes to PvP, so make sure to balance out the open world ganking by making sure the bounty system rewards the right players! Don't make the mistake of having it being killing-blow based only! c:
    * Auto loot is GOOD! Either copy Aion and/or BDO and makes pet pickup loot - but please make sure that auto-loot is a thing. x.x

EDIT: caught on to some new info so I updated it. c: All fingers crossed for AoC to be successful!

lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options
    Well first I have to try the alpha 2 to see if the game lives up to my expectations. If it does I plan to keep playing for many years as long as I keep enjoying it.

Any type of P2W or P2C will immediately cause me to stop playing the game. Same thing if they go back on their word of addons like dps meters etc.
  • Options
    HartassenHartassen Member
    edited November 2022
    Sylvanar wrote: »
    Depends on:
    - The level of griefing due to owPvP. While corruption system sounds ok, there are too many work arounds at the moment as stated by Lucky ghost in a recent video.

I skimmed through his video the first thing about 82% of his subscribers not wanting to play AOC based on a false stated question is inherently wrong. It's not "FORCED ALWAYS ON PVP" there's a lot of ways to interpret that. It doesn't explain the corruption system at all. It probably makes a lot of players to think that anyone can just kill you at any time with no repercussions.

He claims steven just copypasted the system from 2003 without any changes. This is false, as there is a stats debuff per PK score/corruption as well as the chance to drop items below 3 pks and starting instantly on your first kill. Also 4x death penalty and no ability to trade items when corrupted.

Continuing to view his video is just a barrage of him making uninformed statements or outright lies. I say this as someone who played Lineage 2 as my first mmo and played it for many years throught prelude to C4 then many years of playing on private servers after that.
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »

While it definitely SOUNDS like that right now, most games that could be good PvX would sound like that when you explain them at first.

That's why people want to test how Corruption will work. Lineage sounds like it will just be PvP all the time but apparently isn't. BDO definitely sounds like it should have lots of PvP but it doesn't.

It's usually just that very specific types of players get really 'hype' about their PvP options before the designers explain all the ways why their playstyles won't work.

Of course there won't be full time open world PvP in areas that are not important, but what about PvE areas and high profitable crafting areas, if I fight vs 1 guy I would be totally fine with that, but you will see, there will be hard core PVP guilds that will dominate server, 5-6 guilds and it will be total mess around those areas only, I am not speaking for whole open world, only on those specific areas will be a mess.