Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

True 64 Classes

I know they are shooting for what is said to be 64 classes. Basically, a main choice and then a secondary that augments that main. Great! I love it I'm sure that is great for balancing and I applaud then in every way fathomable. I love this game. I'm just spit balling here though. What if they were to make one proprietary/class defining ability for all 64 combinations? Then you truly do have 64 classes. You have to take that particular combination to get that ability, there is no other way. That's a class. I know I say that as if it's an easy feat, I'm sure it would be no small undertaking, but it would truly make 64 classes. Yep, got to add 64 new different abilities to the game, but that's how you get 64 actual... factual.... classes.

Comments

• Schwag wrote: »
    I know they are shooting for what is said to be 64 classes. Basically, a main choice and then a secondary that augments that main. Great! I love it I'm sure that is great for balancing and I applaud then in every way fathomable. I love this game. I'm just spit balling here though. What if they were to make one proprietary/class defining ability for all 64 combinations? Then you truly do have 64 classes. You have to take that particular combination to get that ability, there is no other way. That's a class. I know I say that as if it's an easy feat, I'm sure it would be no small undertaking, but it would truly make 64 classes. Yep, got to add 64 new different abilities to the game, but that's how you get 64 actual... factual.... classes.

we already have that. the combination of your main class with the augments from the secondary will be unique to each class
  • From my understanding its kinda like classic WoW talent tree system to a degree .

You main class is like ur WoW class and your secondary class changes your talent trees choices you can choose from. This is the simpliest way i can put it from my understanding atleast we will find out more i hope soonish
  • How I understand second class in AoC is that if you are warrior and you have this charge ability as a core warrior, if you choose second to mage you will have blink instead - reducing time to get to enemy and cant be stopped.... This I think if they design things like in alpha 1 wont have big impact on balancing and will be fine, its just matter of perspective how you want your class to look/feel like. Its not a big deal its only there for fun and to immerse more with archetype that you want to be in this virtual world.
  • we still dont know how secondary archetypes will actually be implemented. Maybe the augmented abilities will feel unique enough so it feels like 64 unique classes. maybe the augments just change the flavor like mentioned by others.

I don't think I like having the extra ability given to each class. I am hoping that it is practical to change secondary archetypes as FOTM changes over time. If you have a unique abilities, then it adds extra balancing and people might stick with an underperforming class because they like the unique ability it has.
  • I 100% think there should be some unique abilities. They shouldn't be game-breaking but I do think it adds so much more depth and flavour to the class system if an Argent can do something a Paladin cannot.
  • Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited November 2022
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    I 100% think there should be some unique abilities. They shouldn't be game-breaking but I do think it adds so much more depth and flavour to the class system if an Argent can do something a Paladin cannot.

I think most players support that, @WHIT3ROS3, but when you start thinking about balance and what’s already on the Combat and Animation Teams’ plate, it’s a lot of work to make that idea happen.

For now, Steven has told us that secondary augments will simply add “flavor” … so set your expectations low so you won’t be disappointed later on.

Intrepid does have a tendency to under-promise and over-deliver on game systems. We’ll see how it shakes out in Alpha-2.
  • During the AMA Steven mentioned that each class will have approximately 35-40 different abilities. 8x35 = 280 abilities. Now will there be 8 "flavors" for each of those abilities or will only some of them be augmented by the secondary archetype? If only some of them are augmented (which would make sense as there will be some universal abilities that might only receive a stat boost/nerf depending on the secondary archetype) that would leave room for the creation of a unique ultimate/special ability for each of the archetypes.

Take a look at this abilities list for example.

8ewz4scs2v3c.jpg

If you take the Ultimate Defence ability. How would people like to see this ability augmented through the secondary archetype? How different will this ability look/feel when used by an Argent compared to a Paladin or a Knight? Or will that ability be essentially the same (How different can you make an invulnerable for a short duration ability?) across the secondary archetypes?
  • DepravedDepraved Member
    edited November 2022
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    During the AMA Steven mentioned that each class will have approximately 35-40 different abilities. 8x35 = 280 abilities. Now will there be 8 "flavors" for each of those abilities or will only some of them be augmented by the secondary archetype? If only some of them are augmented (which would make sense as there will be some universal abilities that might only receive a stat boost/nerf depending on the secondary archetype) that would leave room for the creation of a unique ultimate/special ability for each of the archetypes.

Take a look at this abilities list for example.

8ewz4scs2v3c.jpg

If you take the Ultimate Defence ability. How would people like to see this ability augmented through the secondary archetype? How different will this ability look/feel when used by an Argent compared to a Paladin or a Knight? Or will that ability be essentially the same (How different can you make an invulnerable for a short duration ability?) across the secondary archetypes?

well, argent is tank/bard. bards are proximity-based buffers. so probably your UD will also increase the running speed of allies nearby when you use it, or will give you or your party a 3-5 seconds defense boost after the invincibility expires.

a paladin is a tank/ cleric. clerics have life and death augments. so maybe if you augment it with life augments, it will heal you or your party some amount or %, and if you augment it for death, you will do damage to enemies near you while the skill is active, or maybe there will be an explosion that damages enemies after the expiration of UD. maybe the damage could be higher on shadow or holy type mobs.
  • Sounds good. Would you expect those augmented UD abilities to have different animations? As another player looking at you cast UD, how would I know if you are a Paladin or an Argent?
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Depends on what is meant by "flavor".
  • WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    Sounds good. Would you expect those augmented UD abilities to have different animations? As another player looking at you cast UD, how would I know if you are a Paladin or an Argent?

I expect them to give some type of feedback to the players, so we can differentiate them