Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Class/Weapon combination expectations

2»

Comments

• Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    lunarsky wrote: »
    and you should be able to because you can craft weapons and determine stats based on that. Steven has already said any class can use any weapon or armor. They showed a mage using a greatsword in one of the live letters a couple months back.

Which I find awesome, as age of conans Herald of Xotli was a mage, using a greatsword, and great at setting things on fire
  • Options
    SirChancelotSirChancelot Member
    edited October 2023
    Saabynator wrote: »
    Honestly. I like the old school ways. When playing something like ESO, it just feels wrong, that a spellcaster can be the best tank, and a rogue can be the best healer - or whatever. A wizard with S&B or tank with staff... It just feels silly, because it does not seem logical in any ways. If you have heavy armor, heavy weapons makes more sense. You can get hit in the armor, and shrug it off. If you wanna be fast, a twohanded axe is not what you want. Slow swings dont work in a robe, you need to be able to move.

I am a huge fan of having a role. you pick that role, and thats what you can get good at. AoC actually had a helluva an idea, with having second classes that does not change your role, just how the role function. Great idea.

Having some weapons have abilities, GW2 style is really awesome. But a necromancer is a necromancer, he does not stop to suddenly tank or healer, he will cast DoTs, have pets etc. But having some difference in how he plays his role, as better AoEs with staffs, but better DoTRs with dagger, thats awesome.

Sure, some things would be silly and probably not work, but I don't think that's what anyone is asking for. If someone Is rolling a tank/tank no I don't think they should walk around with a wand... But if they are a mage/tank or tank/mage and do things magic'y any kind of wand, book, or staff should be viable.

As I said I just hope tanks aren't locked into you HAVE to use a shield to be the best at your job... And what I mean by that is I want other gear loadouts to be equally viable and not have tanks without shields be subpar to tanks with shields.
    I get that this would also be dependent on secondary archetype. A tank/tank would probably have more synergy with a shield where maybe a tank/summoner or summoner/tank could rock a staff if they work differently than the standard sword and board approach.

But I have different views I know. I still want archetypes to have flexibility and not be locked into a role at level 1.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Saabynator wrote: »
    Honestly. I like the old school ways. When playing something like ESO, it just feels wrong, that a spellcaster can be the best tank, and a rogue can be the best healer - or whatever. A wizard with S&B or tank with staff... It just feels silly, because it does not seem logical in any ways. If you have heavy armor, heavy weapons makes more sense. You can get hit in the armor, and shrug it off. If you wanna be fast, a twohanded axe is not what you want. Slow swings dont work in a robe, you need to be able to move.

I am a huge fan of having a role. you pick that role, and thats what you can get good at. AoC actually had a helluva an idea, with having second classes that does not change your role, just how the role function. Great idea.

Having some weapons have abilities, GW2 style is really awesome. But a necromancer is a necromancer, he does not stop to suddenly tank or healer, he will cast DoTs, have pets etc. But having some difference in how he plays his role, as better AoEs with staffs, but better DoTRs with dagger, thats awesome.

Sure, some things would be silly and probably not work, but I don't think that's what anyone is asking for. If someone Is rolling a tank/tank no I don't think they should walk around with a wand... But if they are a mage/tank or tank/mage and do things magic'y any kind of wand, book, or staff should be viable.

As I said I just hope tanks aren't locked into you HAVE to use a shield to be the best at your job... And what I mean by that is I want other gear loadouts to be equally viable and not have tanks without shields be subpar to tanks with shields.
    I get that this would also be dependent on secondary archetype. A tank/tank would probably have more synergy with a shield where maybe a tank/summoner or summoner/tank could rock a staff if they work differently than the standard sword and board approach.

But I have different views I know. I still want archetypes to have flexibility and not be locked into a role at level 1.

You could build an evasion tank and use a two handed weapon or whatever.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    tank/mage would still use a sword and a shield, and he would be casting spells ;3 maybe damage reduction magic