Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Combat still needs a "wow factor"

13»

Comments

• Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Solvryn wrote: »
    Jhoren wrote: »
    Personally I just want them to focus on getting some solid combat basics for all the classes first.

With 500+ players on my screen fighting, I don't need or want bling or fancyness, I want super solid movement and responsiveness in combat, with no desync. Keep the effects to a minimum so I can see the other players through all the ability spam, but still be aware of the abilities coming my way.

If they can pull that off, I'll be wow'ed.

I can agree to this fluidity in motion and have the effects of weight and force represented through respective environments.

I don’t think I’ve seen combat look completely fantastic in any game in my 20+ years of mmo gaming.

I'd say lost ark's combat was the best combat I've experienced in any game. Actually perfect (minus the PvP, which admittedly sucks). Too bad the rest of the game is a grindy money grab. Albion's combat is a close second. It's balanced in PvE and PvP, tactical, and careful use of abilities is sometimes more important than item power.

Eh, I like a lot of it. Combat isn't it though.
  • Options
    Letterz wrote: »
    So the argument is that there is not enough particle effects on abilities? when watching from a third person perspective?

The argument is that the combat looks bland and unfun, which is the opposite of what a game developer wants. It doesn't have fluidity, it doesn't seem to have much of a skill ceiling, and it looks... noninteractive? I'll withhold judgement until I see more, but as it stands, I'm not very impressed. You can have fancy weather systems and all the cool mounts you want, but they mean nothing if the gameplay is dull.

I have no idea how a person gets there. And yes, as we will all agree game developers do not want to make a game that is bland and unfun. but how you get to that conclusion from some very staged video is beyond me.

As with most of these threads, i think you guys are going down a rabbit hole of fear and unnecessary concerns. at least wait until we get our hands on the game in alpha 2. when it is a valid concern we can talk about it. until then its just conjecture in the worst way.
  • Options
    So the argument is that there is not enough particle effects on abilities? when watching from a third person perspective?

The argument is that the combat looks bland and unfun, which is the opposite of what a game developer wants. It doesn't have fluidity, it doesn't seem to have much of a skill ceiling, and it looks... noninteractive? I'll withhold judgement until I see more, but as it stands, I'm not very impressed. You can have fancy weather systems and all the cool mounts you want, but they mean nothing if the gameplay is dull.

I have no idea how a person gets there. And yes, as we will all agree game developers do not want to make a game that is bland and unfun. but how you get to that conclusion from some very staged video is beyond me.

As with most of these threads, i think you guys are going down a rabbit hole of fear and unnecessary concerns. at least wait until we get our hands on the game in alpha 2. when it is a valid concern we can talk about it. until then its just conjecture in the worst way.

Ya i see a lot of post like that worried about every detail when its not a finished game nor have people tried it in closer to a finished state. Some things its good to give input on good strong idea to help fuel more creativity and possibility. But then yo get the other side of things with fears and worries on very certain features that you can't have a good grasp of until you see how everything works together.
  • Options

Having eyes and a memory helps.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I don't think anyones really freaking out as much as voicing their opinion now rather than later when they've already completely committed to their combat.

We'll get what we get, but it doesn't hurt to voice what we like now.