Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What Abilities Do You Want To See For Your Favorite Classes?

Assuming the Intrepid hasn't already finished all the abilities for every class, what would you guys like to see? Maybe our ideas could be of use to them in some way. Il post a few of mine and if this gains traction, il go more in depth.

1. TANK: I would like something similar to what the dragonknight has in eso where the flap their wings to return incoming projectiles. Obviously it doesn't have to be wings; maybe a momentary projection of a shield or maybe they just have an aura around them briefly. I believe it would help to keep their dps up in pvp and incentives others to play the class maybe.
2. Rogue: it'd be nice if the have maybe a passive to do increased damage if the opponents back is facing them. (Pretty sure that's a common one. )
3. Assasin: something like khazix's 1st ability or passive from league of legends. Haven't played it since high school so don't know how accurate this is but he would essentially do more damage if an enemy was isolated, i.e moving alone. I believe this was only for the first attack or only on the 1st ability ofcourse.
4. Dreadnought: I like the idea of potentially swapping out your defensive stats for offensive power, i.e if you 1000 defense, it would be turned into 1000 offense for nothing over 10 seconds ideally. Sounds fitting the notion of a Dreadnought.
5. Ranger: a tracking arrow ability or consumable one use arrow potentially. Use nature energy or whatever to have a marker on the map for the target you hit with it. Keep the active time for it not too high to prevent any heavy griefing. Sounds nice and adds a layer to combat.
6. Summoner: this idea is from an anime called infinite dinjagram(pretty sure I spelled it wrong. ) as a Summoner, you could momentarily fuse with your summons to become a hybrid/Chimera humanoid. Sounds cool.
7. Cleric: sacrifice a huge portion of your life but make an ally invulnerable for a short period of time. High cooldown.

That's all that comes to mind immediately. Obviously these aren't the most thought out it terms of balance. They just sound interesting so try not to get too angry over it if your the type.

Share your ideas below! You never know, maybe this'll help the team out in some way. Il even throw in a cookie. 🍪 😇

Comments

• Options
    I think something good would be being able to level up abilities and magic. So you could have lvl 1 Fireball with 200 dmg and small animation. You level the magic or abilities up by using them. To get to lvl 2 Fireball it would take 5000 uses of lvl 1 Fireball. Lvl 2 Fireball is 450 dmg with a bigger Animation. Then it would take 10000 uses to get to lvl 3 Fireball which has 700 dmg and an even bigger animation. This could work up until like lvl 5 potentially for all abilities and magic. The numbers are just to give you an idea.

Sound good? 🙂
  • Options
    Although I am planning to play a Tank, my favorite class in Ashes will probably be ranger. I did not like the Hunter in WoW but if its anything like the ranger from GW1, it will likeraly my first alt and I will love playing it.

My favorite ability for any class has to be the interupt. Such a basic thing but when you can interupt an enemy's super important spell and turn the game around in a pvp match, its EPIC!

I hope we will see the channeling bar of enemies with the name of the spell they are casting.

I would also the ranger to have traps. Rangers have always been woodland folk, and their mastery of nature is unprecedented. Barbed wire traps, liana traps, hunting traps, poison traps, etc etc.

Quick interupt arrows, ground traps and long range cripples or AoE's that you actually have to aim on the ground for ranger
  • Options
    Lust69 wrote: »
    I think something good would be being able to level up abilities and magic. So you could have lvl 1 Fireball with 200 dmg and small animation. You level the magic or abilities up by using them. To get to lvl 2 Fireball it would take 5000 uses of lvl 1 Fireball. Lvl 2 Fireball is 450 dmg with a bigger Animation. Then it would take 10000 uses to get to lvl 3 Fireball which has 700 dmg and an even bigger animation. This could work up until like lvl 5 potentially for all abilities and magic. The numbers are just to give you an idea.

Sound good? 🙂

That's sounds quite nice. I'd probably like another cost associated with leveling it up or a way to incentives players to level it up naturally and not just sit there and spam it against a training dummy or something xD though it would be hilarious. I'm always down for anything that would give the game more depth.
    Gui10 wrote: »
    Although I am planning to play a Tank, my favorite class in Ashes will probably be ranger. I did not like the Hunter in WoW but if its anything like the ranger from GW1, it will likeraly my first alt and I will love playing it.

My favorite ability for any class has to be the interupt. Such a basic thing but when you can interupt an enemy's super important spell and turn the game around in a pvp match, its EPIC!

I hope we will see the channeling bar of enemies with the name of the spell they are casting.

I would also the ranger to have traps. Rangers have always been woodland folk, and their mastery of nature is unprecedented. Barbed wire traps, liana traps, hunting traps, poison traps, etc etc.

Quick interupt arrows, ground traps and long range cripples or AoE's that you actually have to aim on the ground for ranger

I love those ideas! One ability that comes to mind from eso is a knockback arrow that would disrupt casting animation if u timed it right and it would also push yourself back a little to give a bit of distance. If the range was that immersive I'd probably have to play it and iv never played a ranger xD
  • Options
    TANKS: I want the tank to be able to stand in front of someone and block, reduce, or prevent the damage taken (even from targeted attacks or abilities). steven already said that there is something like this so yay.

CLERIC: regeneration for the whole party pls

BARDS: being able to provide all the buffs without having to change specs (if you decide to play as a buffer, which you probably should). mana restoration for the party and small aoe healing. maybe some form of res or death prevention

SUMMONER: single target mana and heal restoration. maybe a res too or death prevention.
  • Options
    Summoner:
    To craft mechanical summons too. And to be better at crafting than the other classes while being worse at fighting.

Healer:
    to be able to tank too, by out-healing damage at cost of very low damage output.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Settite wrote: »
    6. Summoner: this idea is from an anime called infinite dinjagram(pretty sure I spelled it wrong. ) as a Summoner, you could momentarily fuse with your summons to become a hybrid/Chimera humanoid. Sounds cool.

I'm pretty sure they have explicitly said this won't be a thing.

But for my wish list I just want to see a summoner/tank able to fulfill the role of a tank. Tanking through pets and summons effects sounds like a different kind of tank that I would love to see.
  • Options
    BlindsideBlindside Member
    edited December 2022
    I want rangers to have access to stealth, albeit weaker than a rogue's (eg. lower duration).

I also really hope that Ashes doesn't go down the path of augmenting arrows as a huge part of a ranger's kit. The whole fire, poison, ice, etc. arrow thing is really uninspired.
  • Options
    Some sort of ultimate ability for each class at level 50 would be fun. It has a long cast time and massive animation but has a very long cool down, maybe even one hour. But what could this be? Ideas?

Omnislash for fighter?

https://youtu.be/3nNqArFMhek
  • Options
    IskiabIskiab Member
    edited December 2022
    For clerics - a detaunt. I liked that in Wargammer, a debuff you put on a target that makes them do 50% less damage to you. In Warhammer I believe it went away if you did damage to the target.

Bards - building your buffs/songs. Something like you can choose 3 components out of a list for a song, then activate the song instead of the individual buffs. So no twisting or micromanagement of bard buffs within combat, depth of strategy combined with ease of use.

Some other ideas for bards are mana steals and lullaby.

Necro - lots of taps. Necros have been described as a jack of all trades, but I think focusing on health stealing would be neat.
  • Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited December 2022
    On tank I would love the ability to use an ability on an enemy player that whenever that player was targeted with friendly heals it redirected the heals to me.

On summoner I would love an ability that for the next 10 seconds any ability cast by a target was instead cast by my character onto the original caster.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2022
    Fighter
    Physical melee abilities that convey mastery of combat. A bit of superhuman, but not anime.
    Not too many colours and effects, but some suggestions of slashing and some environment destruction.

I would like AoC to show emphasis on animations that maintain the equiped weapons instead of making them dissapear, as well as making some abilities to have weapon restrictions.

Magic, elements and all sorts of casting should not be prioritized for the fighter, over physical combat animations.
    The hammer we have seen does not fit the class. It belongs elsewhere.

• Options
    @Vaknar hey not sure if tagging you is ok, just wanted to draw your attention to this thread if possible. Not sure if this helps but these are just a few ideas for abilities that may be useful to your guys. ^.^
  • Options
    Tank:
    guard- target an ally to defend them while remaining close by redirecting half the damage taken to yourself.
    Taunt - an AOE version and single target that reduce enemy dmg in PvP and could be augmented with additional effects like increased damage or a slow.
    Magic wall-Create a magical wall across the battlefield that blocks all projectiles for a short time.
    Shield wall- channel a shield wall blocking attacks for you and allies standing behind you from the direction you are facing for a short time
    Stomp- stomp the ground stunning enemies for 2 seconds close to you.

Fighter:
    Leaping strike- leap to your target striking them with your weapon/weapons.
    Overwhelm- jump in the air and descend with a powerful attack pentrating block
    Charge- battlecry and rush forward, increasing movement speed by 50% for 8 seconds.
    Flurry- strike 3 times in quick succession.
    Counter attack- channel a defensive counter for a brief time, blocking melee damage and striking back if hit.
    Rend- slow enemies hit by 50%
    Slam- slam into an enemy knocking them down for 2 seconds.
  • Options
    I want summons to have an entry animation such as zombies crawl out of the ground, an eagle swoops from the sky, the summoner pulling out a dancing sword and tossing it in the air making it feel like you aren't just ripping a critter from the nether to die for you.
  • Options
    If would be any matrial artist type class ....
    -Iron skin (boost phys. res. if player wear only light/cloth armor)
    -Closed mind (boost res. to magical negative effects)
    -Quickness (atk/mov./evasion boost works only with light armor)
    -Stunning strike
    -Hands of Healing (fast minor healing spell)
    -Counter (temporary deflect phys. attacks in medium armor \ + return part of atk.damage to enemy for light\cloth armor)
    -Puncturing strike (striking enemies three times + reduse mag.\phys. attack rating).
  • Options
    LethanelLethanel Member
    edited December 2022
    Shadowblade; slash - teleport - slash again - repeat.
    Not hit and run. More like run all-over them. High damage, high mobility while not being made of paper
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I love threads like these! This is a question we featured in a couple of our Office Hours sessions on Discord. Archetype and class fantasy is important and feeling attuned with the archetype/class you play is what makes playing it that much more special!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    Lethanel wrote: »
    Shadowblade; slash - teleport - slash again - repeat.
    Not hit and run. More like run all-over them. High damage, high mobility while not being made of paper

Damn. That's sounds pretty smooth
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    I love threads like these! This is a question we featured in a couple of our Office Hours sessions on Discord. Archetype and class fantasy is important and feeling attuned with the archetype/class you play is what makes playing it that much more special!

Oh damn xD il have to pull up some time to listen in then.
  • Options
    Fighter, would love to see lean more toward berzerker with some options.
    Maybe along the lines of older style D&D where you actually become more vulnerable to do more damage, rather than the current school of thought where you become immortal and take half damage, when raging.

Dreadnaught, Gain a damaging version of the tank lasso, Scorpion, mortal combat style. Then aggro/target lock the victim and shred into it.
    Additionally a short term riposte tanking disk, would be a nice benefit.
    And fuck it, Overpowered half damage while raging for 30 seconds, for "flavor"

Both of these should be done shirtless for greater mobility and sexiness.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I hope to play Summoner. Wildblade to be more specific.

So I hope Summoner doesn't come into its own until later and Wildblade is a Shamanic-Melee fighter type.

Base Summoner:
    Tank Creature: Takes X damage, does X damage has so many abilities.
    DPS Creature: Deals X damage, takes x damage and has so many abilities.

Wildblade:
    Bear Spirit: Summoner calls on the spirit of the bear and is granted all off the abilities of the spirit for x amount of time.
    Wolverine Spirit: Summoner calls on the spirit of the wolverine and is granted all off the abilities of the spirit for x amount of time.

So effectively, it's more like Soulbeast from GW2 meets Enhancement Shaman in WoW.

• Options
    Would be interesting if summoners also got abilities that helped to control the field. Not just creatures but say summon a swampy/muddy ground that snares or a fog that blinds targets, maybe even stinging insects. Perhaps depending on your class combination either be able to transfer health to your pets or drain health from your pets into yourself.
  • Options
    I believe, no matter how, any Tanks skillset requires 2 skills:
    1 To always reach the front line first (example: A1 Tank Onslaught)
    and 1 To bring the enemies back line to the front line(example: A1 Tank Javelin)

I also believe Fighters skillset requires skills to reach behind enemy lines sadly not shown in his class demonstration... But also expect the class to have nice consistent AoE damage which is thankfully already expected to be considering the demonstration.

I also expect both Tanks and Fighters to have Hard CCs inside their skillset(obviously more on the tanks than on the fighters) including things like stuns, knockbacks, knockups and knockdowns.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    I want my necromancer to have
    an aoe that does dps and a little heal to my team
    Rez a dead team mate
    And an aoe that has heaps of zombies coming out of the ground to hit people
  • Options
    For mage augmented with summoner, I would like to see fireball spell converted to a ranged summon lesser-fire elemental that deals the same damage as a fireball in a small aoe wear summoned.
    Annie's ult in LOL does this. I hope that spells converted to weak summons be the theam of summoner/mage. I would also like to see blink/telport leave behind a illusionary decoy that can taught mobs for this class combo.
  • Options
    If it is as it seems -- that ranger will be the source of nature type augments, then i'm just hoping that can be lent into hard when taking it as a secondary augment.

I love wood magic, lashing vines, treants, paralytic blooms, and slaming branch arms. I would like to see these options on the Warden (tank/ranger) excluding treants which may be more a summoner thing. But given summoner / ranger is already called beast master, I dont know how much room that leaves for treants in that fantasy.

I like the fantasy of the fighter having superior mastery over weapons, and the ability to use a diverse range.

There are already planned weapon specific skill trees, so maybe fighters can progress futher in these gaining interesting synergies even additional capstone points.

Also skills or stances that emphasize the weapon equipt or how that players has skill pointed their abilities -- what do you have to be weary of when the fighter switches from their axe and shield to a hailbred.

Perhaps if certain weapons skill trees have procs that occur eg. every 5 hits / with a conditional trigger / a small % chance... Certain fighter skills could force the proc, but said proc would be different according to the equipt weapon, and your own choices on that weapons skill tree.

So your weapon choice and how you specfically choose to use that weapon is expressed in your abilities too. Demonstrating your fighting style
  • Options
    ThatGuyPowersThatGuyPowers Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I hope the trickster class can make mimics or clones of myself while fighting
  • Options
    I hope the trickster class can make mimics or clones of myself while fighting

Sounds pretty cool. Reminds me of the echo knight knight from dnd
  • Options
    BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm not sure what archetype this should belong to, but a skill like Petrified Blood from Path of Exile would be interesting.
    The boon of this skill is that any instant damage (most hit based attacks) are taken as a *slow-ish* DoT.
    This could be a self cast skill that lasts x Seconds on the Tank to something like a targeted skill cast from Bard or Spell Shield or a Cleric derivative.
    This would act as an anti-alpha kill defensive skill in group PvP where a person is getting primaried and the defensive roles can act in time. Can also act in dungeons where say a tank is about to eat a 1 shot kill but can be saved and healed through with this.
    This skill on it's own would not prevent death, but allow healers to keep someone alive in the face of overwhelming alpha damage.
  • Options
    Botagar wrote: »
    I'm not sure what archetype this should belong to, but a skill like Petrified Blood from Path of Exile would be interesting.
    The boon of this skill is that any instant damage (most hit based attacks) are taken as a *slow-ish* DoT.
    This could be a self cast skill that lasts x Seconds on the Tank to something like a targeted skill cast from Bard or Spell Shield or a Cleric derivative.
    This would act as an anti-alpha kill defensive skill in group PvP where a person is getting primaried and the defensive roles can act in time. Can also act in dungeons where say a tank is about to eat a 1 shot kill but can be saved and healed through with this.
    This skill on it's own would not prevent death, but allow healers to keep someone alive in the face of overwhelming alpha damage.

Oooo that sounds really cool. I can think of alot of neat interactions with that