Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Concerns with in game economy

So AoC is very much an player run economy from everything i see in regards with there emphasis on crafters which has a potential to stagnate and crash markets when majority of players hit there BIS items lets take new world tools for example when people got there tool they never needed to buy anymore since there no decay on equipment so once every player got there ori tool for example the toolcrafter were now obsolete cause no one will ever purchase a tool again since they got there max level tool for life so generaly in games the only crafters that ended up being needed were the cooks and alchemist because once people bought ur non consumable items they were no longer a customer for you since they were set for rest of game or till next expansion.

So for a player run economy to thrive there need to be equipment decay so there was always a demand for equipment, from my understanding AoC going with a repair system that requires materials to repair items however these items will most likly come from processing not the equipment crafters themself so theyll fall in same issue of being obsolete or hard to find customers for there goods, now you could make repairs kits on the crafters themself which is an improvment but then you basicly only be crafting repair kits to sell instead of armor cause do demand for the armor.

The normal solution to games that have a working player economy is to have easy come easy go system where you have gear eventually be destroyed but fairly easy to make so you keep constant demand but that wont work with AoC since it seems gear gonna be a decent time investment to aquire higher quality stuff coming from drops from raid bosses and things where people wont wont to use that gear over fear of loosing it.

I think the best solution is to have gear be repaired by using crafted gear of the same tier level) that way to repair a raid drop plate chestpiece of max level items you would need to buy a max level plate chestpiece to use as it catalyse to repair it with you would be able t=o use the basic max level equipment for this so there be constant demand for the easier to craft items for crafters aswell to cycle though.

Generaly in MMO you only make money crafting initially and it a race to level up because u know once people out level ur crafted items u loose all sales on that in new world i rushed tools and sold shit loads early on buit after a week they never sold again cause people level past those and people to slow leveling the craft basicly just lost money due to already being obsolete for the entire time.

Comments

• Options
    There is one key piece of information you might not be considering that separates NW from Ashes in regards to BiS Gear other than it's natural decay, and that is Over Enchanting with the possibility of destroying gear which makes the crafting demands almost never-ending depending on how hard it is to reach max enchant.

As for tools, our current information according to the wiki is:

Tools will have durability and tool lifespans.
    The amount of usages of a gathering tool increases as the gatherer becomes more proficient in the gathering artisan tree.
    Tools may become non-repairable, requiring re crafting.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    I will say one thing i rather did like the durability system of mabinogi.
    Everytime you repaired an item there was a set chance the max durability would be reduced so eventually it get low enough u want to replace it cause it breaks to fast. Pretty much for every 1 point of durability that got repaired there was a 5-2% chance that the durability will be lost and max dura reduced. So this could work for AoC too especialy with the tool useage as mention above.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    I will say one thing i rather did like the durability system of mabinogi.
    Everytime you repaired an item there was a set chance the max durability would be reduced so eventually it get low enough u want to replace it cause it breaks to fast. Pretty much for every 1 point of durability that got repaired there was a 5-2% chance that the durability will be lost and max dura reduced. So this could work for AoC too especialy with the tool useage as mention above.

Seems like a reasonable tool durability loss system, i wouldn't be surprise if Ashes goes for something similar in this regard.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    I like the max durability loss too.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    I prefer full item destruction on failed OE, but people were so damn butthurt about this mechanic that I doubt Intrepid sticks with it. Durability loss would be fine as a replacement I guess.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I prefer full item destruction on failed OE, but people were so damn butthurt about this mechanic that I doubt Intrepid sticks with it. Durability loss would be fine as a replacement I guess.

the sad part is that the bias most people had against over enchanting in the over enchanting thread were over enchanting from games with bad over enchanting system and not Lineage 2 Over enchanting. :/
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Bdo has burnt many people out since l2.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neurath wrote: »

It is unlikely that BDO is the culprit in the case James is talking about.

BDO enchanting is always safer/easier than L2. I've had to research this extensively while 'arguing' with James and NiKr.

I don't doubt that some games out there have made the people James is talking about have a stronger dislike for OE, but BDO is not it (in the sense that if people don't like BDO's system, they are not going to like L2's better).
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    It matters not how bad l2 system is. There is strong dislike to destruction due to BDO. There was no destruction in bdo, just deleveling. Thus, there is no desire to replace one crap Eastern system with another.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    It matters not how bad l2 system is. There is strong dislike to destruction due to BDO. There was no destruction in bdo, just deleveling. Thus, there is no desire to replace one crap Eastern system with another.

Fair enough.

Either James is right and there is some game out there that has a worse system than L2 and that causes everyone to have that reaction, or James is wrong and just 'believes that more people would be okay with the L2 system'.

I guess we'll know in 5-6 months if TL launches with OE on gear.

• Options
    Well, there was destruction for jewelry in bdo. However, I was under the impression ashes had item destruction on oe. Are you saying that the oe thread changed that facet?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Well, there was destruction for jewelry in bdo. However, I was under the impression ashes had item destruction on oe. Are you saying that the oe thread changed that facet?
    It's quite vague. It says that it has "destruction" of gear, but then the quote for it implies that the item just kinda goes to 0 durability or smth like that, so you keep the item instead of it completely disappearing.
  • Options
    Yeah. To be honest I rarely see the outcomes of the main threads. We collate a ton of answers and then it seems to go into a black hole.

I'm pretty sure you can repair an item at 0 durability so you would be correct to state item destruction isn't an actuality but I think the stance hasn't changed since the oe thread yet.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure you can repair an item at 0 durability so you would be correct to state item destruction isn't an actuality but I think the stance hasn't changed since the oe thread yet.
    No, that's the point. The initial stance is what I described. We're not 100% sure that items completely disappear if you fail an OE.
  • Options

I think it was never 'actual item destruction', but honestly I tend not to think about it or remember the specifics of that one since it is subject to change in specific ways AND the initial concept is a little unclear (something about disabling it, maybe you could still repair it, etc). TL will release sooner, so we'll know then.

BDO does have Destruction for Jewelry, yes, but the Jewelry odds are apparently slightly better than the L2 ones (this is hard to verify because of the massive number of changes and private servers) and you can prevent it (I assume you can do this in L2 also but can't be sure of that either).

Note that I don't agree with James' opinion here, and I'd go parse the thread in question to check, but it's subjective enough that I really doubt anyone would care. People should believe whatever they like about subjective things of this nature (whether or not other people would like something), I feel.

The only 'fact' I can provide (and even that is based only on what I can find) is that BDO isn't the game that would make people hate OE, because BDO's OE is nicer than L2's.

• Options
    My stance was formed from BDO at the time. I believe I added an entry into the oe thread but I can't be sure.

I think item destruction from oe will not be a thing in Ashes because 1. A crafted item should be more resilient to enchants and 2. The unique legendary drops would be decimated and eventually would cease to exist per server.

After all, many of us can't resist the enchantments.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    BDO does have Destruction for Jewelry, yes, but the Jewelry odds are apparently slightly better than the L2 ones (this is hard to verify because of the massive number of changes and private servers) and you can prevent it (I assume you can do this in L2 also but can't be sure of that either).
    Iirc weapons was 66% and armor/jewelry was 55%? It's been years since I've gone into those kinds of details about L2 and I've been actively trying to remove my L2 details memories from my brain all these past years.

And yeah, you had special scrolls that would keep the item but remove the enchantment lvl. And then later on, in order to boost the fucking p2w even fucking more, NFucksoft introduced items that would keep the enchant lvls on fails. And they added +% items and even fucking +1-3 random scrolls, so you could get a +3 enchant instead of a +1 on the same chance (which iirc could be either protected or increased).

But that later shit is usually disregarded by the main L2 crowd, cause it came in the later later updates.
    The unique legendary drops would be decimated and eventually would cease to exist per server.

L2 had Epic Jewelry that dropped in single instances (with not even a 100% from certain bosses) from bosses that ranged from 36h respawns to 11-day ones. People usually didn't OE those, even though it made them weaker against the stronger mages on the server. You'd only start OEing them when your guild was the only one farming the boss and your main stack of strongest players already had a piece.
  • Options
    Yeah there are many nuances to the situation. For example, I only enhance my gear when I have more than one high end piece. Its more difficult when it is unique of course. You can easily swap out a lost piece if you have more than one.

I don't detract from the adrenaline and dopamine hit of a successful upgrade when destruction is a potential. I'm just not sure where the devs stand on the matter after the oe thread.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Iirc weapons was 66% and armor/jewelry was 55%? It's been years since I've gone into those kinds of details about L2 and I've been actively trying to remove my L2 details memories from my brain all these past years.

And yeah, you had special scrolls that would keep the item but remove the enchantment lvl. And then later on, in order to boost the fucking p2w even fucking more, NFucksoft introduced items that would keep the enchant lvls on fails. And they added +% items and even fucking +1-3 random scrolls, so you could get a +3 enchant instead of a +1 on the same chance (which iirc could be either protected or increased).

But that later shit is usually disregarded by the main L2 crowd, cause it came in the later later updates.
    The unique legendary drops would be decimated and eventually would cease to exist per server.

L2 had Epic Jewelry that dropped in single instances (with not even a 100% from certain bosses) from bosses that ranged from 36h respawns to 11-day ones. People usually didn't OE those, even though it made them weaker against the stronger mages on the server. You'd only start OEing them when your guild was the only one farming the boss and your main stack of strongest players already had a piece.

The chances lower as you get higher, as BDO's do, it's just presented differently because in L2 you lose the item and in BDO you don't. Statistically, L2 is more frustrating (raw numbers, not opinion) based on everything I can find.

You can look into it a ton, or trust my information, either way:

Is the response. The only reason this comes up is because James said that people's opinions would be different if they played L2 instead of 'whatever game they played'.

That random game just ain't BDO. BDO players would not look at L2's system and go 'oh that looks much better'. My personal reaction was 'wait it's WORSE? They can't be serious... they're serious lol'.

• Options
    I'm just not sure where the devs stand on the matter after the oe thread.
    I'm 95% sure that even if Ashes did in fact have full destruction before - it no longer does. It'd have to be parsed, but from what I remember of the thread, probably around 70-80% of the posters there HATED destruction. Might've been even more, but that's might just be my bias speaking, cause every time I'd see one of those posts this'd be me
    h3zshq2ahqqs.png
  • Options
    I'm just not sure where the devs stand on the matter after the oe thread.
    I'm 95% sure that even if Ashes did in fact have full destruction before - it no longer does. It'd have to be parsed, but from what I remember of the thread, probably around 70-80% of the posters there HATED destruction. Might've been even more, but that's might just be my bias speaking, cause every time I'd see one of those posts this'd be me
    h3zshq2ahqqs.png

84% as of my offhand recollection of non-targeted parse (sentiment only).

• Options
    84% as of my offhand recollection of non-targeted parse (sentiment only).
    So my bias might've not been as bad at skewing my assumptions. Nice B)
  • Options
    Sometimes I lament Jeff's policies and sometimes I'm happy Jeff left. Oe destruction was definitely a thing but the safe limits also existed. I don't really see a reason to change the facet but I feel that way when a lot of dev threads are opened. In my mind, a lot of stuff should have remained at the original disposition.

More than could be stated comes from l2 and thankfully the craft system comes from swg. I first got into aoc due to the links stated but naturally the playerbase has expanded across the years. When I first bought in I thought the game would launch by 2020 lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Sometimes I lament Jeff's policies and sometimes I'm happy Jeff left. Oe destruction was definitely a thing but the safe limits also existed. I don't really see a reason to change the facet but I feel that way when a lot of dev threads are opened. In my mind, a lot of stuff should have remained at the original disposition.

More than could be stated comes from l2 and thankfully the craft system comes from swg. I first got into aoc due to the links stated but naturally the playerbase has expanded across the years. When I first bought in I thought the game would launch by 2020 lol.
    I think this is the latest quote on the topic. It seems that Steven leans towards the L2 system, while the team is probably pushing back by "ironing out some flows"
    pk0pb36w500p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2023

BDO enchanting is always safer/easier than L2. I've had to research this extensively while 'arguing' with James and NiKr.

I don't doubt that some games out there have made the people James is talking about have a stronger dislike for OE, but BDO is not it (in the sense that if people don't like BDO's system, they are not going to like L2's better).

It is, it certainly is! The absolute majority of people in that thread used mainly BDO as the source of their hatred towards the concept of over enchanting.

I'm not sure about "safer/easier" tho, BDO had direct diminishing chances the higher you went reaching insanely low less than 1% chances of sucess making some people frustratingly fail the same enchant more than 100 times, instead of the consistent ~66% chance L2 had no matter if it was +5 to +6 or +15 to +16.
    Sure it made people want to have a security extra item because of the destruction on fail(of low tier enchant)(or to go to 0 with the higher tier one instead) but you always had a reasonable odd not matter how.

Certainly other games have fault in the current over enchanting demonization but BDO is a huge culprit in this regard.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Yes. That is still the original stance. I would not be so quick to state oe destruction won't happen. There was always a safe enchantment level.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

It is, it certainly is! The absolute majority of people in that thread used mainly BDO as the source of their hatred towards the concept of over enchanting.

I'm not sure about "safer/easier" tho, BDO had direct diminishing chances the higher you went reaching insanely low less than 1% chances of sucess making some people frustratingly fail the same enchant more than 100 times, instead of the consistent ~66% chance L2 had no matter if it was +5 to +6 or +15 to +16.
    Sure it made people want to have a security extra item because of the destruction on fail(of low tier enchant)(or to go to 0 with the higher tier one instead) but you always had a reasonable odd not matter how.

Certainly other games have fault in the current over enchanting demonization but BDO is a huge culprit in this regard.

Oh, then um... you're wrong.

No one's going to change their opinion based on seeing L2's system if they come from BDO's system because L2's system is way more frustrating.

They would just hate it more.

So yes, all those people absolutely hate even the form of OE that you're saying is fine. It's just a really hated mechanic.

But this is based on the info I found, which implies that it is NOT actually consistently 66% chance across all those, so I'd have to know 'at what point that changed' or 'what server you played on', or whatever else.

As I understand it, you have 66% chance that you succeed, but 33% chance that the item is DESTROYED, (ignore options to mitigate this because BDO has many).

Statistical distribution based on these indicate that L2 is worse. It might be MISLEADING in terms of the emotions it causes, but it's worse.

I welcome more information on it, but please note that I'm likely to be skeptical that L2 is particularly more forgiving. I've seen threads of people complaining about 'seeing three +16s in one day' as if the person achieving this was outright cheating. Maybe, once again, another private server.

• Options
    Yes. That is still the original stance. I would not be so quick to state oe destruction won't happen. There was always a safe enchantment level.
    The safe level came from L2 too, so the discussion of destruction was always about OE, the O meaning going over that safe lvl.

And that was mainly one of my issues with the protesters. Even though there was always a lvl of safe improvement for you weapon, people still vehemently protested the destruction, as if they were made to OE all of their stuff.

And I think that particular thing does come directly from BDO, cause iirc your "gear score" there is one of the main factors of who kills and who dies. That wasn't really the case in L2. Or at least not to the extent of what I've heard from BDO. Though maybe I've just heard the very vocal minority who got obliterated by a better skilled player rather than a player that simply had an enchantment lvl one point higher.
  • Options
    The QuickNote as to what I'm basing my very 'closed minded' stance on. IF every enchant has the chance of destroying the item after +3, then it takes 12 risky enchants to get to +16.

0.66^12 = 0.006831675

Anything beyond this will get into the weeds on 'which ways to get around the RNG exist in the two games'.

But BDO players hate 'having to jump through hoops to get around the RNG', so the result would be the same.

• Options
    Well, the vocal majority will always rule. There must always be give and take. I'm not too worried about either situation though I do agree item destruction for oe would be good but I'm a hardcore player who will play more than 16 hours a day.

Those who have less time would not want destruction for oe as they would be hampered with no catch up mechanic. Of course, the devs can't give a catch up mechanic because it would be p2w or p4c so Steven hints at those scrolls.

If the scolls are earn in game I feel most will use them but destruction without a scroll might seem biased or non conformist so we do have valid issues.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif