Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Vocal cues for some player skills and NPC interaction

IF not already in plans or in place... I'd like to emphasize the importance of the use of vocal cues when players perform specific skills and cast spells. A few examples I can think of for each class we've been (or will be) introduced to so far:
  • when a tank taunts: avatar roaring in their front direction, or a loud and intimidating war cry
  • when a ranger performs an acrobatic trick shot: a quick "hup" and a swift landing effect when the avatar action is complete
  • when a cleric performs a healing spell: avatar reverberating an incantation as long as the casting duration in a mysterious language unique for each spell akin to Baldur's Gate spell vocalizations
  • when the fighter brings down that large, golden, glowy hammer AOE skill: a quick breath-in from the player as if the avatar is preparing to lift and release a massive object such as a hammer followed by a metal clunk on a ground
For all individual races, for female and male characters, with a 3-5 variety per each skill/spell performed... would add to the immersion and credibility of player actions.

Similarly, I'd love to hear:
  • mobs' vocal reactions to tanks' taunts as in agitation by their "threat", or when mobs change their target
  • shriek of pain when a critical hit lands
  • a "squish" sound effect if they are caught under that hammer of the fighter.
  • outcry for help if they are overwhelmed to alarm other nearby mobs

Somewhat relevant to vocal cues and within the topic of immersion, at this early stage of combat, the impact of skills and spells on mobs is also not to my satisfaction:
  • when a mob is hit by that swirling fighter skill, they were not swayed in the direction of the impact
  • the arrows hitting their targets had not had any weight to them other than a scrolling damage notification when a stagger animation even if it's not resulting in a "stagger" game mechanic would add to the immersion

I hope the AoC will elevate the current bar to a level where players will be immersed in their environment due to avatars' impact on mobs as well as the usage of vocal and other animation-related cues.

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I hope sound is a bit part of gameplay =) for everything =) makes everything more immersive but also practical
  • Options
    Galaturc wrote: »
    IF not already in plans or in place... I'd like to emphasize the importance of the use of vocal cues when players perform specific skills and cast spells. A few examples I can think of for each class we've been (or will be) introduced to so far:
    • when a tank taunts: avatar roaring in their front direction, or a loud and intimidating war cry
    • when a ranger performs an acrobatic trick shot: a quick "hup" and a swift landing effect when the avatar action is complete
    • when a cleric performs a healing spell: avatar reverberating an incantation as long as the casting duration in a mysterious language unique for each spell akin to Baldur's Gate spell vocalizations
    • when the fighter brings down that large, golden, glowy hammer AOE skill: a quick breath-in from the player as if the avatar is preparing to lift and release a massive object such as a hammer followed by a metal clunk on a ground
    For all individual races, for female and male characters, with a 3-5 variety per each skill/spell performed... would add to the immersion and credibility of player actions.

Similarly, I'd love to hear:
    • mobs' vocal reactions to tanks' taunts as in agitation by their "threat", or when mobs change their target
    • shriek of pain when a critical hit lands
    • a "squish" sound effect if they are caught under that hammer of the fighter.
    • outcry for help if they are overwhelmed to alarm other nearby mobs

Somewhat relevant to vocal cues and within the topic of immersion, at this early stage of combat, the impact of skills and spells on mobs is also not to my satisfaction:
    • when a mob is hit by that swirling fighter skill, they were not swayed in the direction of the impact
    • the arrows hitting their targets had not had any weight to them other than a scrolling damage notification when a stagger animation even if it's not resulting in a "stagger" game mechanic would add to the immersion

I hope the AoC will elevate the current bar to a level where players will be immersed in their environment due to avatars' impact on mobs as well as the usage of vocal and other animation-related cues.

isn't this how every game is?
  • Options
    BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I might be a bit biased here but yes, everything should have clearly distinct sound cues.
    I made a post recently on this topic here but apparently the nitty gritty of sound design seems to not be a focus of the community here.
    As @Depraved mentioned, it seems that most popular games do this sort of stuff already.
    That doesn't mean we shouldn't ensure that these details are also followed through on in AoC. If there are corners to be cut, these kinds of sound cues would be on the chopping block.
  • Options
    GalaturcGalaturc Member
    edited January 2023
    Depraved wrote: »
    isn't this how every game is?

Not really, especially the vocalization part... What one would hear their character vocalizing in preparation and execution of a specific skill or spell is seldom audible in most current games. I re-watched the last AoC clip from the graveyard and unfortunately, all three characters are essentially "mute" when performing the most acrobatic skills or casting spells.

Compare that to Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlords combat vocalizations, for instance. All the different vocal cues you hear from your own character, as well as the mob you're fighting with surely add to the intensity of the scene you are experiencing.

I would like to hear a roar for a taunt or an incantation for a spell, etc. I hope these vocal effects will be added soon, as early as the next developer update about tank gameplay. I mean, how do you even agitate the mob around you without vocally aggroing them, by flipping the bird?

(As a reference of how much these vocal effects matter for immersion... Take the example of the movie Top Gun - Maverick. If you watched the new Top Gun sequel... IMO, the most significant improvement over the first movie is the realistic breathing sequences of the pilots during high G maneuvers. It is not just that these flight scenes are more realistic, but the pilot vocalizations now literally "take your breath away" while watching these scenes, allowing for more immersion into the intensity the pilots must be experiencing.)
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The actors in maveric are in real f18s in the movie. The scenes aren't realistic, the scenes are reality.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    GalaturcGalaturc Member
    edited January 2023
    Neurath wrote: »
    The actors in maveric are in real f18s in the movie. The scenes aren't realistic, the scenes are reality.
    They were not flying faster than Mach 10, they were not flying in valleys that deep and narrow while being chased by enemy vehicles or being targeted by ground-to-air missiles. You get the point, "realistic".
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They were in the back seats of navy top gun pilots. When in the front seats they were on the ground. And yes, the navy top gun pilots did all of the manoeuvres except mach 10.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    also quest givers and other npcs having vocals would be awsome, its super immersive