Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

We HAVE to do this right.

2»

Comments

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NishUK wrote: »
    @Nerror I respect your opinion to the minimal degree in a call to a much more mature and positive attitude in gaming but I still firmly believe it to be a fantasy if anything without more involved measures (ie South Korea style, banned and further accounts need to be tied to a working phone number so you're gone! Western laws cannot do it).

Its impossibility only furthers with unsuitable conditions and I cannot help but reference League of Legends, it is a team winning game but no one is promoted to work as a team bar everyone being happy with their role/placement selections.

Weighing in additionally that, mostly younger people in the western world are not promoted to have a respectful attitude, unlike in places like Japan and online literally involves a persons learning and growth development, I was a much more direct and naive person back when I played my 1st mmorpg with a dial up modem and I'm very passionate about a game being played by all in a correct manner that I've had a lot of personal development to contain my distaste for peoples choice of actions or lack of.

So unless people are held accountable, including better gaming practices designed for online play, I consider this all pointless I'm sorry.

Well, I saw the OP as a call to the community to not be toxic, so that's why I gave my perspective on that. In other words, we here on the forums need to not add to the toxicity by actively trying to be more kind, or at worst, be neutral when frustrated by the game or life in general. But obviously we should strive for kindness. Like negativity, kindness also spreads, but not as easily.

As @Azherae was talking about, the main solution needs to come from Intrepid. We need good reporting tools, active GM's that actually handle toxic players in a swift manner, and with clear guidelines detailing what they consider toxic behaviour.

You bring up League of Legends, which is a great example of what happens when a competitive game has a community that is just allowed to go negative without the company clamping down on it in time. They are doing automated bans now, as far as I know, using some AI tools, but the real problem is mainly they did too little for way too many years. The cancer has metastasized in that game and the playerbase. It's to a point where I think it will carry over into the Riot MMO as well, if the LoL playerbase moves over to it.

So bottomline, we the community need to do our part not to make a problem worse, and help how we can, but Intrepid are the ones with most of the power here obviously.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So yeah, define "toxic". Im sick of hearing that word. Toughen up.

It's funny to hear this from the guy that everyone around here knows it's the clearest literal example of a toxic person in the forums that jumps on the throats of every new person even if they are just asking a question LOL :D

I agree tho, I don't think toxic people, like George, should get punished, only if it's hate speech and all that.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I hope they go for the most minimalistic moderation of people possible.

I'd much rather people settled their beef in the arena or siege war field than have a person from intrepid ban them for calling them a c word for blocking the door to a shop for example.

Plus it makes things more personal. You'd remember who called you a dipstick and when you see their caravan needing help you can make a choice.

i8ssl3ltrch1.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I want to add:

There's generally three ways we can respond to others' faults as consumers:
    • Silence/Turn a blind eye
    • Gentle Warning/Probing
    • Direct Confrontation/Outrage

I'm still learning how to do this properly myself, but I find it helpful to ask myself 2 questions:

1. Does this person realize their mistake?
    - if not, don't go into outrage coz they're simply unaware. Try to help them think through the cause and effect of their action (if they're open to it)
    - if yes, give them the opportunity to apologize and correct themselves
    2. Was it intentional?
    - if not, don't go into outrage coz it was an accident. Figure out what's triggering the accident in the bigger picture.
    - if yes, and the person isn't apologetic about it, apply direct pressure to the wound to stop further bleeding.

Silence is for battles that aren't worth fighting, which for me are usually:
    • petty nit picking
    • people who don't correct their mistakes
    • people I've already confronted

The above is the healthiest way I know of to create space for people to make mistakes and correct themselves.

The other thing to remember is that this forum is a feedback discussion forum - we want don't want weak criticism of ideas here. I was speaking to @JustVine about this balance the other day, she had ideas about how we could take notes from the SCP community and ways to avoid meaningless tension.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    How I see it, the definition of being toxic is when someones behavior and ongoing actions cause harm to other people by physical or mental means.
    The toxic traits include unsupportive and unpleasant behavior, being manipulative, judgmental, threatening, spreading false or harmful claims, creating anxiety and conflict, encouraging bullying, ridiculing others, being controlling, and self-centered.

Since such people can be the cause of various negative feelings and emotions like depression, anxiousness, worthlessness, and unhappiness I don't think toxic behavior should be something that is acceptable or seen lightly on.
    There are so many people who have to deal with a lot of toxicity IRL at school, work and even at home, they shouldn't have to deal with it when they are enjoying their hobby, which is supposed to be a fun experience.
    Repeatedly toxic behavior should have consequences, even if it's just a warning, because just like kids and teenagers, even adults have to be reminded how to behave and treat others. For some, it could even be a wake up call to get help and work on themselves. Toxic behavior is usually caused by a mental problem which is majorly reflected in personality disorders.
  • Options
    I think everyone being nice, friendly, helpful etc etc is so boring and unrealistic.

Got to have a thick skin and deal with life.