Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Am just going to come out and say it. Alpha 2 sooner rather then later.

2»

Comments

• Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited January 2023
    honestly - they should re-open A1 in stages again NDA. Then later A2 with stages (mostly NDA, near the end NDA is removed), then Beta 1 persist into beta 2 into launch.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    Blip wrote: »
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Hopefully, it'll be: Alpha 2 when Intrepid say it's ready, and not a second before.
    If they wanted too they could say that now, and some benefits to integrating testing early on in the software development and delivery process is.
    • Identifying logical oversights.
    • Avoiding bugs and exploits.
    • Bridging the gap between testers and evolving client expectations.
    • Providing first user feedback.
    • Helping you understand user needs.
    • Allowing you to make better design decisions.
    • Helping you enhance your product.
    • Enabling you to find and fix issues with your product before release.
    • Helping you gauge how users interact with your products.

There are no benefits to testing a system that isn't ready yet. You don't release software until you're happy for it to be released, no matter how badly your customers are complaining. That just causes more issues.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Blip wrote: »
    Hopefully, it'll be: Alpha 2 when Intrepid say it's ready, and not a second before.
    If they wanted too they could say that now, and some benefits to integrating testing early on in the software development and delivery process is.
    • Identifying logical oversights.
    • Avoiding bugs and exploits.
    • Bridging the gap between testers and evolving client expectations.
    • Providing first user feedback.
    • Helping you understand user needs.
    • Allowing you to make better design decisions.
    • Helping you enhance your product.
    • Enabling you to find and fix issues with your product before release.
    • Helping you gauge how users interact with your products.

There are no benefits to testing a system that isn't ready yet. You don't release software until you're happy for it to be released, no matter how badly your customers are complaining. That just causes more issues.

Am not saying too test systems that are not ready am saying test the systems that are there and add the other in, incrementally.
  • Options
    novercalis wrote: »
    honestly - they should re-open A1 in stages again NDA. Then later A2 with stages (mostly NDA, near the end NDA is removed), then Beta 1 persist into beta 2 into launch.

Nah, that's a terrible idea. Opening, running, maintaining, updating and developing a game all at the same time? It would be so much more work and would significantly impact development.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    We're just as excited as you are to play Alpha Two with everyone! I can assure you that as soon as it's ready, we will get it into the hands of all of our Alpha Two testers! Our team is hard at work making the best possible MMMORPG they can.

But, first, it must be ready :sweat_smile:<3
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    As far as i know, usually in game dev, by the end of the alpha time window of development, all core systems should be in place, so, yes while i do agree that the sooner people actually play and test in alpha2 the sooner the devs can really get a feel of how the systems work, i think that if all core systems were not in alpha2 they would have to have an alpha3 before they "freeze" the features and systems and start with debugging and polishing in the 2 betas.

There's also a problem to consider for play testing before launch: people won't play in the same fashion as they'll play when the game actually launches so a certain % amount of the feedback that'll come out of alpha2 might be incorrect.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The game is looking really good.

I had fun in Alpha 1, I thought the classes were still okay as limited as they were. Things looked pretty nice. I actually looked forward to logging in and playing rather than doing it as an obligation because I wanted to help the developers. (When they had Apocalypse running, that wasn't fun at all and I only logged in to be a helper.)

But Alpha 2 is making Alpha 1 look like garbage in comparison. I can't wait to get in and test it.

It would be a disaster if they opened it before it was ready, but I plan to devote a lot of my free time to playing this game once A2 is open, so I'm antsy.

My Alpha 1 experience made me a mage fan and I am very eager to see it revealed. I tested all 3 classes that were available in Alpha 1 (Tank, Cleric, Mage) and Mage by far was the most enjoyable. (Which was a bit of a bummer because I had initially planned to run a Tank as my main character, now I'm totally Team Mage.)

No frustration from me even though I've been around since the beginning (obviously), and I have been waiting a long time. Just seeing how much progress there has been just makes me excited rather than discouraged.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    people say a long alpha 2 will kill the excitement and discovery and burn the testers, this is just stupid,
    The game should be pretty much done (at beta stage) and final polish and stuff like that being put in. We don't want people to get totally burnt out on the game before we actually release. So once we get to the beta phases it should be short and sweet.[1] – Jeffrey Bard

I was hoping the quote was from Steven :smile:

Anyway, the game is less than 10% done by your estimation so the release date is really far.
    I wouldn't mind you and a small group of players who support the game buying cosmetics to play a few days / month on a test server. Just like I don't mind mayors having flying mounts.

However I would not like streamers getting such access.
    Imagine them highlighting all bugs and all poor decisions.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Spot testing is hopefully already going on, it was talked about a couple months ago.

The main reason for widespread testing is to test content. While yes, we are all eager to play the classes and whack some mobs (and each other) that's only a small part of testing.

It's testing all the quests (so many quests), POI events, world boss events, dungeon boss drops (like that pair of pants missing a stat in the 2nd tank run, that Steven quickly closed), node upgrade/downgrade events and triggers, caravan stuff, gatherable accessibility, does crafting everything work, etc, etc, etc.

So, I'd expect to see Alpha 2 testing phases rolled out by areas of content. We could see a first Alpha 2 that only allows up to level 15, and node upgrade is limited. Extensive node L1-L2 content testing. And if all the classes are not ready yet. Maybe just 4-6 classes available. If all professions are not ready yet, maybe crafting is disabled and they just allow some professions and all gathering.