Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tulnar Architectural house/node design, plus other Tulnar race designs

so, one thing that should be clarified is im hooked on Tulnar, and its for sure going to be one of my dominate races for alts, that being said, I was reading the wiki in its entirety ( I haven't slept but im in this rabbit hole now ) and got to the Node architectural influences of races all the races there had unique building designs French, Greek, Polynesian so on.. but nothing for Tulnar, which I found a little odd a race of Vast Varity and no set theme, which i get its a bit hard to do off the top of the head you know Beasts, lizards so on do you go Tribal? do you go cavern stone like but make them a little more carved for human like references, I may have a solution. Kowloon a place in Hong Kong back in 1990 and prior, a multi-raced and multi layered town to me makes perfect sense for the multi abled cavern dwellers, which leads me to my next part.

with the Tulnar race concept designs I got super happy loved their idea for YEARS and seeing the concept and how amazing that is was just such a good day, but found it a little odd that its only wolf, Ape? and Lizard with variations in between, im not a deep cavern expert or really know ecosystems that could survive in those conditions.. but i know of some Hardy creatures who could, and each wouldn't add too much effort for the Design team ( I think ) I would like to throw into the mix Fishmen ( nothing crazy just different eye options and gills even if its just for visual effect )Insectoids, nothing extreme maybe like a Chitin seeming layer on the outside, maybe mandibles, antennae bugish eyes, could even go further with a straight up bugish head ( locust, Mantis, Spider ) I think personally those 2 are creepy but definitely fit a Underdark cave for years theme and lastly Crustacean again nothing insane, last one I get is a stretch but there's a heap of crustaceans that a cave specific.

I'm no dev or designer, but I would definitely like some sort of conflicting or accepted responses to see how it would fit with other players, and especially if Steven or Margaret themselves respond I dont need validation, i just want Tulnar to not be forgotten and discarded like another race * cough Forsaken in WOW Cough*

Comments

• Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I picture Gothic for sure. Voodoo and maybe some Ninjutsu/Shinto stuff. But we'll see.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Good topic for discussion, thanks OP!

In the back of my mind I was thinking (perhaps I should say assuming) that the information about the Tulnar was intended to be a surprise for us all when release comes. I do hope that they save quite a bit of content for surprises, whether or not Tulnar is part of the surprises.
  • Options
    Oh, Kowloon back in the day is definitely a cool suggestion! Would make their architecture really stand out from the other races. Adding to that, something jungle-like or Amazone-like could also fit them. I think having unusual building designs might seduce more folks into playing the Tulnar race, haha. :)
  • Options
    Axarashi wrote: »
    Oh, Kowloon back in the day is definitely a cool suggestion! Would make their architecture really stand out from the other races. Adding to that, something jungle-like or Amazone-like could also fit them. I think having unusual building designs might seduce more folks into playing the Tulnar race, haha. :)

Much appreciated, I think having the Aesthetic of being multi cultural/ beliefs also fits with there religious beliefs too, im only 26 and super upset i never got to experience Kowloon for my self, since to my knowledge that was the birthplace of CyberPunk which has also created such cool and creative shows/ movies/ games, and would like to see a more toned back medieval/ fantasy version
  • Options
    I would like to see underground areas where the living part is in on the ceiling, carved into huge rock formations hanging downwards, sometime supported by natural pillars and sometime just hanging above large lava lakes. Sounds dangerous but let's say magic ensures the rock doesn't crack and falls into the lava.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited February 2023
    I really like the idea of having this kind of aesthetic be the focus for the underrealm/tulnar.

Ballonlea.jpg[img][/img]
  • Options
    Ace1234 wrote: »
    I really like the idea of having this kind of aesthetic be the focus for the underrealm/tulnar.

Ballonlea.jpg[img][/img]

I believe Tulnar are getting bioluminescence as it is.

I'd like to see it woven carefully into Black Steel and Obsidian architecture. etc.
  • Options
    Solvryn wrote: »

Ballonlea.jpg[img][/img]

I'd like to see it woven carefully into Black Steel and Obsidian architecture. etc.

I second this, its why I kind of figured a Kowloon esq would fit so well since they kinda half invented the neon signs, the bioluminescent fungi/ mixed with what Solvyrn is saying, a sleek obsidian/ blacksteel/ Deepslate type of material. i can imagine Megalopolis tulnar inspired Nodes to be so damn beautiful by the end
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Does anyone know if you have to be Tulnar to live in the Underrealm? Can any race join a Tulnar Node?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have to be Tulnar to live in the Underrealm? Can any race join a Tulnar Node?

you dont have to be a Tulnar to live in a under realm node, but more in a point over seeing whether or not a under Realm node actually becomes a node or not, since the development branching depends on density of players in the area.
  • Options
    Yeah, I mean I would gravitate to smaller nodes anyway. I just love luminance and I'd be drawn to the luminance like i was in Apoc. The smaller the node is the less likely your stuff would be sieged lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, I mean I would gravitate to smaller nodes anyway. I just love luminance and I'd be drawn to the luminance like i was in Apoc. The smaller the node is the less likely your stuff would be sieged lol.

I'm the opposite, I want to live in one of the few Megalopolis's that gets developed, I dont want mayor or king or queen title or anything, I honestly just want my own Freehold and raise my Mounts, pets and beasts of burden
  • Options
    CyberAesir wrote: »
    Solvryn wrote: »

Ballonlea.jpg[img][/img]

I second this, its why I kind of figured a Kowloon esq would fit so well since they kinda half invented the neon signs, the bioluminescent fungi/ mixed with what Solvyrn is saying, a sleek obsidian/ blacksteel/ Deepslate type of material. i can imagine Megalopolis tulnar inspired Nodes to be so damn beautiful by the end

yup.
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3WHIT3ROS3 Member
    edited February 2023
    This is a cool topic. It's something I would love to see explored more in future dev streams. A deeper dive into the 9 player races and their architectural influences. Seeing a 3D model of a house for each of the races would be awesome.

As for the Tulnar. They are an amalgamation of the existing races. Left long ago to survive in the Under realm. In terms of atmosphere perhaps something along these lines?

zchmf7nj41it.jpg
    8ke5xii7k165.jpg
    tnh08qxxn49k.jpg
    i1u134udi1i3.jpg
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    This is a cool topic. It's something I would love to see explored more in future dev streams. A deeper dive into the 9 player races and their architectural influences. Seeing a 3D model of a house for each of the races would be awesome.

As for the Tulnar. They are an amalgamation of the existing races. Left long ago to survive in the Under realm. In terms of atmosphere perhaps something along these lines?

zchmf7nj41it.jpg
    8ke5xii7k165.jpg
    tnh08qxxn49k.jpg
    i1u134udi1i3.jpg

These look really good.
  • Options

zchmf7nj41it.jpg
    8ke5xii7k165.jpg
    tnh08qxxn49k.jpg
    i1u134udi1i3.jpg

I like this. This fits their aesthetic. I do not want to see human architecture. But these feel perfect!
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options

zchmf7nj41it.jpg
    8ke5xii7k165.jpg
    tnh08qxxn49k.jpg
    i1u134udi1i3.jpg

Yes! like 100percent, maybe add a bit more Teirs to it but yes like this, AI art is so good sometimes
  • Options
    CyberAesir wrote: »
    Yes! like 100percent, maybe add a bit more Teirs to it but yes like this, AI art is so good sometimes

Trained using pictures made by artists, without asking for their permission.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3WHIT3ROS3 Member
    edited February 2023
    As an artist, I was trained by other artists. As a designer, I use other people's designs. AI is an amazing tool. The idea that it is just blatant copyright is silly IMO. I spent 6 months in Art School making collages out of other people's work, nobody ever had a meltdown over that. AI is great for concepts and mood boards. It is scary in many ways but it is a train that isn't stopping. All aboard! Choo Choo!
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2023
    I am hoping for some of these vibes actually:
    dbcf539c9af2a85b7cf60d8677e53a64--sweet-memories-childhood-memories.jpg

Hear me out ;)

The mushroom houses should be all glowy and underrealmy of course, but I would love to see the grim-looking Tulnar actually be the peaceful villager types in temperament, watering their little gardens and having social get-togethers and cookouts with their neighbours. To draw a real contrast between their looks and their culture.

I think that would be way more interesting and deep than having their architecture and cultural outlook match their own more bestial and grim looks.

Edit: They can still be feral monsters in combat, just nice and peaceful out of it. :smile:
  • Options
    As an artist, I was trained by other artists. As a designer, I use other people's designs. AI is an amazing tool. The idea that it is just blatant copyright is silly IMO. I spent 6 months in Art School making collages out of other people's work, nobody ever had a meltdown over that. AI is great for concepts and mood boards. It is scary in many ways but it is a train that isn't stopping. All aboard! Choo Choo!

If later you will not for find a job because such technologies, well... you only lost 6 months :smile:

But this case is even more interesting
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_selfie_copyright_dispute
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »

If later you will not for find a job because such technologies, well... you only lost 6 months :smile:

So it seems monkeys wouldn't be able to write Shakespeare's literary library and take the credit after all.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »

At this point, I just see AI as another tool in an artist's toolbox. It still needs significant curation. I see lots of artists of all stripes adopting more of an Art Director type of role in the coming years. Building out and expanding on themes and concepts drafted by AI. AI may be the ship, but there is still a person captaining it.

It has been the same with lots of things really. I first went to college to study Art & Design around 2004/5. Fast forward the best part of a decade, I went to Uni to do a Design Degree. The amount of easily accessible top-tier Design and Architectural programs available these days is nuts. The Adobe Design package including photoshop put powers in the Designer's hands that previous generations could only dream of.

As a concept artist, those initial AI concept images are great starting points but that's all they really are. You would need to take the image into Photoshop and manually sketch over them so they actually made coherent architectural sense. Then it would be taken into a 3D program (I use Sketch-Up) to build out a 3d model of the sketch, to make sure the design functions in 3D space. Then it would be back to Photoshop for more manual rendering to make an actual concept. If that was agreed upon, then it would be into Blender to make a 3D model which would need optimized and textured. Then it would go into Unreal Engine 5. (plus there is a bunch of other considerations along the way.)

I don't see how AI is going to "Destroy Designers" There is so much that goes into it all, frankly I'm surprised more designers are not thankful that there is this amazing tool that alleviates potentially hundreds of man-hours, whilst maintaining high-quality, in a design workflow that requires thousands of man hours!

AI is friend. AI is here to help. :)
  • Options
    bioluminescence is love

bioluminescence is life
  • Options
    I wonder if tulnars will kill tulnars or just focus the Aggression on the above world.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I wonder if tulnars will kill tulnars or just focus the Aggression on the above world.

Tulnars will kill all fetishists.
  • Options
    Tulnar get ruins, because they will inevitably be destroyed!
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »

Interesting point about ruins. With an architectural and design language for each of the 9 player races, as well as for the NPC factions such as the Goblins, Minotaurs, etc. There will also be the ruins of the 4 parent empires; the Aela Humans, Dunzenkell Dwarves, Kaivek Orcs and the Pyrian Elves that were present on Verra before the fall.

Ashes certainly isn't lacking in scope! :D
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »

Who authorized that?
  • Options
    BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Slightly tangential, but having whatever the tulnar architecture is neslted into flora inspired by slime mould spore stalks would be dreamy...
    slime+molds+bunch.jpg
    21Mag-LOR-01-superJumbo.png
    barry-webb-slime-mould-large.jpg
    Arcyria-denudata.jpg
    04SLIM_SPAN-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

And of course, throw in a healthy dose of bio-luminescence!