Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tulnar Architectural house/node design, plus other Tulnar race designs

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    I am hoping for some of these vibes actually:
    dbcf539c9af2a85b7cf60d8677e53a64--sweet-memories-childhood-memories.jpg

Hear me out ;)

The mushroom houses should be all glowy and underrealmy of course, but I would love to see the grim-looking Tulnar actually be the peaceful villager types in temperament, watering their little gardens and having social get-togethers and cookouts with their neighbours. To draw a real contrast between their looks and their culture.

I think that would be way more interesting and deep than having their architecture and cultural outlook match their own more bestial and grim looks.

Edit: They can still be feral monsters in combat, just nice and peaceful out of it. :smile:

i would have agreed with you, except that in their lore so far, majority of Tulnar are actually in fact families and lesser races left behind when the divine gate closed, and thus resenting gods ( some of them ) and Harboring hate for generations towards those who left them behind
  • Options
    Botagar wrote: »
    Slightly tangential, but having whatever the tulnar architecture is neslted into flora inspired by slime mould spore stalks would be dreamy...
    slime+molds+bunch.jpg
    21Mag-LOR-01-superJumbo.png
    barry-webb-slime-mould-large.jpg
    Arcyria-denudata.jpg
    04SLIM_SPAN-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

And of course, throw in a healthy dose of bio-luminescence!

yeah i can see this, makes them more cave like, it'll be up to the Devs in the end, but maybe a minor mix of it all, I really dont picture the under dark being too bright
  • Options
    WHIT3ROS3WHIT3ROS3 Member
    edited February 2023
    Shrooms are cool.

I do think that the Player Races should be somewhat sophisticated in their architecture and design, the returning races are far from primitive. The Tulnar have been on Verra for 1000+ years since the gates closed. My understanding is that any and all nodes could potentially have a Tulnar aesthetic, depending on the XP gathered by players. The architecture needs to be able to work in multiple different locations in quite different environments. Would a Bioluminesense-inspired cave-like structure look good in the Riverlands? Or in the Desert, or mountains?

When it comes to nodes, node progression, ZOIs and architecture. I'd love to hear and see more about how the team is actually approaching the development of this massive system. 85 Nodes, all with 7 potential stages of development, with 9 different racial aesthetics. (Never mind the other customisation options, building options, housing etc)
  • Options
    Solvryn wrote: »
    Dolyem wrote: »
    Tulnar get ruins, because they will inevitably be destroyed!

Who authorized that?

The Imperium of Aela
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Who authorized that?

The Imperium of Aela

You can try to destroy Tulnar, you're also free to walk away broken in half.
  • Options

Who authorized that?

The Imperium of Aela

You can try to destroy Tulnar, you're also free to walk away broken in half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6il_mmiGDec
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Interesting point...if the Tulnar are the majority influence in the growth of an above ground node, the node will adopt their architecture.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Interesting point...if the Tulnar are the majority influence in the growth of an above ground node, the node will adopt their architecture.

we all as players should know Beast races will never be the majority, take Baldurs gate 3 for example the highest played Race/ class combo out of all the DnD 5e races ( minus orc, dargonborn so on ) was human fighter, with some default black trim hair, and as a guy said above and kinda proved is that human player will be the vast majority, then next would be what ever cool race Tulnar will probably place third, which is why i was hoping for my server at least to try and grab as many Tulnar players possible to set up a town near a mountain ( as if it was leaking out of the town if ya get my drift ) and attempt a megalopolis. As Tulnar players we will more than likely be the Forgotten races, only need to look at WoW stats to see what players will do
  • Options
    I dont feel like they would have a "well put together" architecture like the Empyrians, for example, but more so scrappy / underground / vegetal aspects, more so like the Nikua or Orcs, with bio-luminescence.

I am very curious to see what they will come up with.
  • Options
    CyberAesir wrote: »

we all as players should know Beast races will never be the majority, take Baldurs gate 3 for example the

The system only takes into consideration what race a player is when tabulating XP for the node to level to the next stage. With 85 Nodes spread across the world, there should be no reason why there won't be settlements of different stages representing all of the player races.

Is it not the case, that the Tulnar will have an already established Under realm-based starting city? The Tulnar will not start the game at one of the 4 gates as they never left Verra for Sanctus.
  • Options

we all as players should know Beast races will never be the majority, take Baldurs gate 3 for example the highest played Race/ class combo out of all the DnD 5e races ( minus orc, dargonborn so on ) was human fighter, with some default black trim hair, and as a guy said above and kinda proved is that human player will be the vast majority, then next would be what ever cool race Tulnar will probably place third, which is why i was hoping for my server at least to try and grab as many Tulnar players possible to set up a town near a mountain ( as if it was leaking out of the town if ya get my drift ) and attempt a megalopolis. As Tulnar players we will more than likely be the Forgotten races, only need to look at WoW stats to see what players will do

Last sampling showed that Tulnar were in the top three.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I anticipate that players who choose to play a Tulnar will have a higher-than-average motivation to advance their race. It takes a distinct decision to choose Tulnar while those choosing human, elf, dwarf or orc might often do so based only on some mild preference.

If I am right (which certainly may not be the case), then it is almost certain that on some server(s) the Tulnar will organize and establish nodes in the sunlight.

We can also expect dwarves to level up below ground nodes, right? Just like elves in the forests, other dwarves in the mountains, and humans everywhere, kinda like cockroaches.
  • Options
    5xs2o0nfvjaz.png
    EDym4eg.png
  • Options
    5xs2o0nfvjaz.png

That's one UGLY Dark Elf. You can do better my brother. Also, that's an Orc head.
  • Options
    Axarashi wrote: »
    Oh, Kowloon back in the day is definitely a cool suggestion! Would make their architecture really stand out from the other races. Adding to that, something jungle-like or Amazone-like could also fit them. I think having unusual building designs might seduce more folks into playing the Tulnar race, haha. :)

Much appreciated, I think having the Aesthetic of being multi cultural/ beliefs also fits with there religious beliefs too, im only 26 and super upset i never got to experience Kowloon for my self, since to my knowledge that was the birthplace of CyberPunk which has also created such cool and creative shows/ movies/ games, and would like to see a more toned back medieval/ fantasy version

Same, I also feel so upset I never got to see original Kowloon for myself. I did visit Kowloon Walled City Park though, but it of course looked nothing like before. The park did keep a few remnants of some buildings, which was cool to see.

And yeah, when it comes to Cyberpunk, I always get reminded of HK or Tokyo. Those places got the real life cyberpunk x jungle going on. :D
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    I am hoping for some of these vibes actually:
    dbcf539c9af2a85b7cf60d8677e53a64--sweet-memories-childhood-memories.jpg

Hear me out ;)

The mushroom houses should be all glowy and underrealmy of course, but I would love to see the grim-looking Tulnar actually be the peaceful villager types in temperament, watering their little gardens and having social get-togethers and cookouts with their neighbours. To draw a real contrast between their looks and their culture.

I think that would be way more interesting and deep than having their architecture and cultural outlook match their own more bestial and grim looks.

Edit: They can still be feral monsters in combat, just nice and peaceful out of it. :smile:

i would have agreed with you, except that in their lore so far, majority of Tulnar are actually in fact families and lesser races left behind when the divine gate closed, and thus resenting gods ( some of them ) and Harboring hate for generations towards those who left them behind

Yeah, and adding to that, the Tulnar have a caste system if I'm not mistaken. Which means there will most likely be some type of discrimination amongst them, which kills the dream of them all living happily together.
  • Options

Last sampling showed that Tulnar were in the top three.

that is super pleasing news ngl