Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Taunt, threat and Narc

VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
edited February 2023 in General Discussion
So Narc released a video discussing the tank update and brought up the idea regarding taunt and how to make it less overpowered than it is currently. Personally I thought it was a good way to make a taunt ability something more than a button used on reflex when a mob de aggroes.

At 12:07 he details his thoughts regarding this proposed mechanic
https://youtube.com/watch?v=tr2WWThOBsM&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE

Basically he suggested that DPS accidentally aggro a mob have a list of abilities (Not standardly used in rotations) that can apply "skittish". Skittish alone does nothing, however a tank will also have the ability (not standardly used in rotations) that applies "distract" when the target has skittish and distract applied it will act as a taunt.

Reason I like this idea is because it means parties will wipe often on higher tier mobs as dps generate too much threat and aggro the mobs and are unable to properly taunt the enemy. As Narc points out it becomes on the dps to apply "skittish" and allow the tank to re aggro the mob.

I like it, a lot, seems way more complex than merely pressing taunt when a mistake is made, yet it is still superbly simple. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would rather dps get a threat removal skill or simply control the damage output.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Everyone makes mistakes so "simply control the damage output" seems silly. I would rather mechanics that allow me to fix mistakes rather than just lose.

Then its just "Big bad awesome ability, threat removal" less dynamic gameplay available overall.
  • Options
    I dislike the word 'skittish' why woukd a dragon get 'skittish' if the dragon was 'skittish' it would just fly off..
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for describing it as I wouldn't click the video. :smile:
    Sounds a good game mechanic.
    Similar mechanic are some cc effects which also reset the hate list. Those could land only if the caster is skilled enough and could be another class/party member. Wouldn't be better having a 3rd with such a role?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    I dislike the word 'skittish' why woukd a dragon get 'skittish' if the dragon was 'skittish' it would just fly off..

You never been nervous around a spider? or maybe an elphant?
  • Options
    Voxtrium wrote: »

Dang.
    Now IS will present next month the elephant spider.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »

Dang.

Actually would love to see that. And they love weird animal combos...
  • Options
    So, you want a mechanic where the top 9% of all players in a server are making everything 'skittish' and then 'taunting' a 'skittish' npc?

I've been in street fights and people run after they get 'skittish'. I've even taunted them in person after they run off to no avail. Those people don't re-engage.

I don't mind synergies around effective taunts but I do not want 'skittish' to be the start of a synergy. I had hoped for cc immunities at least at the highest tiers. The whole system sounds like it's an overlay system much like spell weaving which was situational at best.

I do not see how 100% success rates would be able to be implemented so its a death sentence compared to a threat debuff and taunts if we even get a taunt.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for describing it as I wouldn't click the video. :smile:
    Sounds a good game mechanic.
    Similar mechanic are some cc effects which also reset the hate list. Those could land only if the caster is skilled enough and could be another class/party member. Wouldn't be better having a 3rd with such a role?

You could make an action target cc threat reset ability, but personally I am unsure how to properly implement that. I think the idea behind Narcs suggestion was good partially for its multi party reliance on 1 style of gameplay. I love having a dps be forced to think like a tank for a few seconds.
  • Options
    =

I do not see how 100% success rates would be able to be implemented so its a death sentence compared to a threat debuff and taunts if we even get a taunt.

I don't understand what you mean? Are you unsure how players could do this effectively 100% of the time?

it doesnt need to be called skittish ffs, or distract, call it antsy or something who cares really.
  • Options
    No. I don't think anything should be garaunteed. I think stats and dispositions should be a factor even for a simple taunt. I desire to have a better ai/pve system where we have to move and actually use some form of skill.

Having a synergy where dps just magically makes someone 'skittish' 100% of the time and then the tank pulling the mob off the dps 100% of the time are too clinical for the kind of fights I want and enjoy. Thus, whatever form the idea takes should not be 100% effective.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Narcs idea isn't law, its the foundation. You want it more difficult? Make the ability an action target ability, want it more difficult make it only apply the de buff for 1 second more difficult? Make it have to apply skittish first then distract, even more make the cd on the ability super long?

there are a billion ways to solve your problem, all I care for is the foundation of the idea.
  • Options
    But there isn't a billion ways to solve the problem. In my head the dps hasn't moved and neither has the tank. Just more static positions which barely change the rotations because they are extra to the combat and not inherent to a class build. It's close to homiginising the class system.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    How does this idea decrease the total movement of a team? The dps likely backpedaled maybe blew a cd running from mob they aggroed. Even if they didnt how does this idea decrease the team movement?
    Especially compared to something like WOW taunt
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not a fan of wow taunt. There's 2 ways it can go down. 1. The dps make the npc 'skittish' and takes damage until the tank synergises or 2. The dps makes the npc 'skittish' and takes no damage until the tank synergises.

I think in option 1 the dps will be dead. I feel option 2 makes the pve a faceroll. I'm not sure of the parameters of a single digit pve construct in Ashes but the reason the dps won't move is because more than 1 tank will be in a raid and if the synergy is implemented the extra tank will intervene in split seconds.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    There is ways to make it more difficult in a raid for sure, but most content is going to be run in an 8 man group clearing dungeons and the like, 1 tank maybe 2 will participate in that. Raids will make up like >5% of the content.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter

Dang.

I got you fam

tg15d19sigl0.png
    pkv0fwhxtnwp.png
    h2vyihqnsomk.png
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    But you will erase the fighter from off tank unless you give the fighter a taunt and 'skittish' too. I feel there would be even less movement in an 8 man dungeon. And situations 1 and 2 still stand in an 8 man group.

The tank currently loses aggro almost every second. How many times can the synergy be used? A threat debuff can be independent of a taunt but instead you want the exact same synergy to replace two functions. I'm just not sure the gimmick holds water.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    let's talk about

difference between stun and tripped

need clarification and I am hoping for something like this

Stun - few seconds of mob not being able to do anything.

tripped aka Prone - for the next 1-3 seconds, all incoming damage on a prone mob takes additional damage or automatic crits (however be mindful of pulling threat).
    So you basically dont want to prone a mob at the start, but might be safe mid way into the fight.
  • Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited February 2023
    tripped can't be cleansed, stunned you can @novercalis
  • Options
    @novercalis
    novercalis wrote: »

Dang.

I got you fam

tg15d19sigl0.png

Elephant with only spider legs no elephant legs.
    But you will erase the fighter from off tank unless you give the fighter a taunt and 'skittish' too. I feel there would be even less movement in an 8 man dungeon. And situations 1 and 2 still stand in an 8 man group.

The tank currently loses aggro almost every second. How many times can the synergy be used? A threat debuff can be independent of a taunt but instead you want the exact same synergy to replace two functions. I'm just not sure the gimmick holds water.

Why is the fighter being erased? Anyone with either their 1st or 2nd archetype should have this ability. Fighters shouldn't tank anyway, a knight could.

Also the tuning isn't there yet sure but its so super alpha I don't think smaller things like that are anywhere near the fine tuning they intend, they are showing intent as much as anything.
  • Options
    I'm not even certain the tank will get a taunt. I'm merely stating fighter in the roles it has been shown by the devs. I'm not sure of the tank secondary schools either. Also its not clear if classes will get a threat debuff or not. Furthermore, its not clear if we won't get static pve like l2.

Thus, I can only state that synergies are good and if I don't have to spec into something I don't want then it's all good.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

Elephant with only spider legs no elephant legs.

I tried but the AI generator refuses to do that. I wanted to get a Drider essentially with elephant face.
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited February 2023
    they definetly need a taunt skill for pve, i think it need to be a relativly long CD though like 30+ seconds, simply cause it somone pull agro well mistakes happen if they pull agro again within 30 seconds well clearly they didnt learn their lesson and should die for it :P
  • Options

that could be a boss mechanic for some bosses :P if u pull agro there no get out of jail free card u either die or mob run off and reset if u hit the skittish button, side effect guild might wanna kill u for doing it if the mob on 10% though lol :P
  • Options
    scb8hiyqt9ar.png
    A shame that Narc didn't do the least bit of searching, but yes, there will be a taunt. But for some absolutely dumbass reason the TANK showcase didn't show literally the biggest part of the tank's skillset in 99% of mmos. And for an even dumber reason taunt is supposed to come on later in the character's life.

This is literally what the people complained about when it came to class identification and the "I don't want to waste 25 lvl w/o my core abilities" issue. I dearly hope that Intrepid rethink this asap. I don't need 10 abilities with threat gen to be a tank. I need a single taunt that would pull the mob to me immediately.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    scb8hiyqt9ar.png
    A shame that Narc didn't do the least bit of searching, but yes, there will be a taunt. But for some absolutely dumbass reason the TANK showcase didn't show literally the biggest part of the tank's skillset in 99% of mmos. And for an even dumber reason taunt is supposed to come on later in the character's life.

This is literally what the people complained about when it came to class identification and the "I don't want to waste 25 lvl w/o my core abilities" issue. I dearly hope that Intrepid rethink this asap. I don't need 10 abilities with threat gen to be a tank. I need a single taunt that would pull the mob to me immediately.

I would gladly accept a copy of L2's Aggression instead of meme slashing threat generator as a lower level skill.
    It certainly would've done wonders in the tank presentation...

It is truly unreasonable for a tank to get one of its most important class defining skills later on instead of early on. I honestly don't know from where such idea would come from!
    Tanks in L2 gets their aggression literally 4 levels after becoming a tank, WoW Warrior's Taunt? Lv 8, and in AA The tank skillset literally gets its taunt as its 4th skill.

6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    novercalis wrote: »

Dang.

I got you fam

tg15d19sigl0.png
    pkv0fwhxtnwp.png
    h2vyihqnsomk.png

ew-eww.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    So Narc...

You lost me at "Narc".
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited February 2023

I would gladly accept a copy of L2's Aggression instead of meme slashing threat generator as a lower level skill.
    It certainly would've done wonders in the tank presentation...

It is truly unreasonable for a tank to get one of its most important class defining skills later on instead of early on. I honestly don't know from where such idea would come from!
    Tanks in L2 gets their aggression literally 4 levels after becoming a tank, WoW Warrior's Taunt? Lv 8, and in AA The tank skillset literally gets its taunt as its 4th skill.

Now this is exactly why the genre has gone stagnant.

Why don't you at least try someone elses or a teams approach before making the damning conclusion on a fixation that Tanks MUST HAVE TOTAL CONTROL of the damage, among other things, of every single mob in the game and other players are just "happy" being fixated on some cute little game of performing optimal damage, or a bard just working off of cooldown and a healer just look at the party HP hud and its mainly focused on the Tank.

It's not fucking strategy and I'd struggle to find one person whos addicted to strategy for their entire PvE gameplan, people want to be thrilled and play by what they visual see, not bombaring the PvE field with your best abilities (+ 100% never fail taunts) and we're done! Rinse and repeat for the next 100,000 encounters...

As I more than explained in my long thread "Tanks were a clever idea back in the day but now something I hate", it was a good idea, at the time but there are new standards to meet now and we have the luxury of brighter ideas via the long time span of another developer (and I don't mean simply slapping everything to action/hack and slash!), let the mmorpg genre evolve for fuk sake!