Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hybrid combat system?

I'm a bit confused about the combat system and i'm looking for a bit of clarification.
In past videos i've seen mentioned that in AoC there is both a tab-targeting combat system and an action combat system and you can choose which one to use.
In more recent video although it seems the developers are going for a mix of the 2 and thus we’ll not be able to choose which one to use.
So, what the actual situation right now?
Which direction are they taking?

Comments

• Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited February 2023
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Hybrid_combat

TLDR:
    "A toggle button (default Z, but can be re-bound to another key) allows the player to switch between action and tab combat modes.[7][8][9][10]"

"The action mode camera is tied to the to the player's reticle.[11][12]"

"If you're in a massive brawl, the ability to pick and choose targets that are far in the back line that might might be more advantageous towards tab target users because they're able to click, but the reaction time to acquire a target for a cursor versus acquiring a target for a reticle is much faster and less cumbersome because it doesn't require as many actions on behalf of the user.[17] – Steven Sharif"

"Templated and targeted versions of skills will have different characteristics.[2][7][18][19][20]"

I believe the current plan is for there to be a max of 75% of your skill-bar that can be one particular type.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    There's been no indication that anything has changed. They said that we'd be able to have up to 75:25 ratio between the two systems. And the showcased had Steven using the abilities in both modes. The biggest seeming change is that the abilities just work in both modes instead of being purely one or the other (though the grapple seemed to require a target), but that could just be chucked up to the testing stage of development and Intrepid could easily lock the abilities into either system.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes. Hybrid combat system.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Does make me wonder how the 75% thing will work if skills can be used as either.
  • Options
    Thank you guys for clarifying this misunderstanding of mine.
    NiKr wrote: »
    There's been no indication that anything has changed. They said that we'd be able to have up to 75:25 ratio between the two systems. And the showcased had Steven using the abilities in both modes. The biggest seeming change is that the abilities just work in both modes instead of being purely one or the other (though the grapple seemed to require a target), but that could just be chucked up to the testing stage of development and Intrepid could easily lock the abilities into either system.

Could you please link me where Steven showcased the abilities in both modes? is it a video?
  • Options
    Thank you guys for clarifying this misunderstanding of mine.
    NiKr wrote: »

Could you please link me where Steven showcased the abilities in both modes? is it a video?

You can find all of their videos on their blog: https://ashesofcreation.com/news
  • Options
    Just watch the tank showcase.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwWK9HJNJRQ

They not only explain how the abilities work and differ between modes, but Steven uses them in both modes throughout the video. Though it's mainly tab targeting, because Steven prefers that.
  • Options
    I dont see that there is any action combat approach
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The tank has abilities that are neither active combat nor tab combat lol. Grit and Aegis. Though I believe the devs would call these moves action.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    WavesOfTimeWavesOfTime Member
    edited February 2023
    I watched that video a few days ago, now that i relook at it i still don't see much of a difference between the 2, i guess i'll have to wait till i can actually play to feel the difference.
  • Options
    I watched that video a few days ago, now that i relook at it i still don't see much of a difference between the 2, i guess i'll have to wait till i can actually play to feel the difference.
    What kind of difference did you expect? Most abilities are the same both in tab and action. You just need a target to cast them if they're purely tab, as the case with the grapple ability.
  • Options
    People shouldn't get hung up on the exact number of 75% over the idea of concept they are going for.
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited February 2023
    I don't see the point in having both systems. The "action" combat mode has auto lock and a very generous aim assist, so it's basically tab target with a reticle. In "action" combat mode, you also have to aim in enemies general direction to lock on, so I don't see anyone using it over tab target since it's just easier. It's like having an aimbot built into a shooter but giving players the option to free aim. Are you kidding? Of course they're going to use the aimbot. You put yourself at a disadvantage by NOT using it. Hopefully Intrepid realizes how ridiculous this is.
  • Options
    They said that the game is more tab-target type combat, but the camera you view it though can be action or tab-targeted type screen.

Like tab targetting, you will be selecting targets in action camera mode, or using a "soft-locking" mechanic that will select your targets for you. Only on skillshot abilities or basic weapon attacks will you be aiming your where you shoot.
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited February 2023
    Voeltz wrote: »
    I don't see the point in having both systems.

Maybe you haven't been in the Forums that much lately, @Voeltz?

There are players with strong convictions on both sides of combat.

Regardless, I'm sure there will be several iterations of each as we go through Alpha 2 and Beta ... so don't be in a hurry to write off tab targeting.

Remember it's a PvX game. PvP die-hards will be wanting to select specific targets.
  • Options
    @Taleof2Cities maybe you haven't?

I don't understand the point of your response. Obviously, there are people that favor tab target vs. Action as Intrepid clearly does.

No it's actually the opposite, I'm writing off action combat as it has taken a backseat to early 2000s gameplay in 2023.
    Remember it's a PvX game. PvP die-hards will be wanting to select specific targets.
    What does that have to do with anything? You can focus specific targets in both tab target and action combat systems in a PvP setting, PvX or PvE. Completely irrelevant.
  • Options
    They should have a ranked archer range that can only be done in action mode. Flying mobs or "Switches" in dungeons that need to be hit in action could also be nice. There are ways of having action aspects in the game which are fun but it's leaning more towards tab target which has always been the case and I'm happy with that.
  • Options
    I don't see the two systems as being all that different, especially since they can be blended in a third option. What I remember from the ranger preview:
    1. Tab-based-target-lock is an option. Classic MMO targetting
    2. Action/reticle based targeting. Your target is whatever is closest to the center of your screen
    3. Action-lock. You put your reticle over your target and hit a key. You are now target-locked on that mob until you hit tab, hit the action lock key again, or clear your target

Aside from that, we don't expect to see any FPS-style skill shots, head shots or leading the target needed for projectiles. The closest might be GTAE. Also, basic melee attacks seem to not be targeted on mobs, but are an AE (small for daggers, large for 2h) in the direction you are facing.
  • Options
    SolmyrSolmyr Member
    edited February 2023
    As far as I can tell, the 'hybrid' combat system seems to just be traditional hotbar combat with some optional QoL features for target selection.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Most diehard tab players call it more action than tab, most diehard action players call it more tab than action.

It's an actual hybrid with the way it calculates damage.
  • Options
    Voeltz wrote: »
    I'm writing off action combat as it has taken a backseat to early 2000s gameplay in 2023.

Huh?

There are quite a few popular MMOs that have both action combat and a high monthly playerbase in 2023.

Regardless, Ashes is planning to have a hybrid system ... regardless of what decade you live in.
  • Options
    Huh?

There are quite a few popular MMOs that have both action combat and a high monthly playerbase in 2023.

Regardless, Ashes is planning to have a hybrid system ... regardless of what decade you live in.

Lol, you're so lost. I'm not arguing against action combat. Best just to move on. Clearly you're not following this conversation.
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited February 2023
    Solvryn wrote: »
    Most diehard tab players call it more action than tab, most diehard action players call it more tab than action.

It's an actual hybrid with the way it calculates damage.

I suppose a 99% tab target game could still be called hybrid as long as it has 1% action. Based on everything I've seen so far, almost all abilities or attacks can be used with hardlock* in both combat modes, which is still basically tab targeting lock on.

There is an option to go in action mode and use soft lock, but it's more of an afterthought in their design. Is anyone actually going to use it though? Probably not when a more convenient targeting method exists. It's Aimbot or aim assist. People will choose what is more effective+convenient when given the choice.
  • Options
    Pretty big different between needing to look at your targets direction and track than just press tab or select and have your target locked on the entire time. Trying to say they are the same and it doesn't matter is silly.

Nothing is wrong with aim assist, if you are trying to compare it, I'd be saying tab is an aim bot.

Whole point of action is to be more in the moment of the combat and those actions of need to look in the direction and do some kind of tracking make a big deal when it comes to gameplay.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Does make me wonder how the 75% thing will work if skills can be used as either.

I think you can change it via the skill tree, even though I fail to remember where I heard that from :/

Another thing to consider is that the hotbar is going to fit 15-20 skills tops, which would mean that 11-15 of the skills your archetype will grant you in total could be action / tab target skills to begin with. Something like the Tanks "Grit" skill - which is neither - making up for the remaining 5-10 skills that are available to you.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited February 2023
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Pretty big different between needing to look at your targets direction and track than just press tab or select and have your target locked on the entire time. Trying to say they are the same and it doesn't matter is silly.

No, it really isn't. Selecting a target with tab (hardlock) is almost the exact same thing as aiming in a targets general direction and pressing a key to lock on (also hardlock). 1 additional step compared to just pressing a key. Looking at your target is not some monumental task like you make it out to be. For most people this should come naturally.
    Nothing is wrong with aim assist, if you are trying to compare it, I'd be saying tab is an aim bot.

I never said anything Is wrong with it. I'd be more than happy if they removed both forms of hardlock and kept softlock (aim assist). That is exactly what I said in my last post if you read it. Maybe you're getting confused because I said 'autolock' but meant hardlock. I corrected it tho

Whole point of action is to be more in the moment of the combat and those actions of need to look in the direction and do some kind of tracking make a big deal when it comes to gameplay.

Yes, that is part of why Action is the better option. Hardlock or Tab target in MMOs is the equivalent of Aimbot in shooters. How anyone could sit there with a straight face and say that is a good thing to have in the game is baffling. These people want to play on very easy mode.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's a fruitless effort to discuss combat with people who haven't taken the time to understand calculations and how game design works in 3d space.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited February 2023
    daveywavey wrote: »
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Hybrid_combat

TLDR:
    "A toggle button (default Z, but can be re-bound to another key) allows the player to switch between action and tab combat modes.[7][8][9][10]"

"The action mode camera is tied to the to the player's reticle.[11][12]"

"If you're in a massive brawl, the ability to pick and choose targets that are far in the back line that might might be more advantageous towards tab target users because they're able to click, but the reaction time to acquire a target for a cursor versus acquiring a target for a reticle is much faster and less cumbersome because it doesn't require as many actions on behalf of the user.[17] – Steven Sharif"

"Templated and targeted versions of skills will have different characteristics.[2][7][18][19][20]"

I believe the current plan is for there to be a max of 75% of your skill-bar that can be one particular type.

🙌✊ Nice use of the wiki and thank you for providing a helpful answer!
    community_management.gif