Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

pay to win headstart

13»

Comments

• Options
    Gospell wrote: »
    Kilion wrote: »
    We touched on that previously, there are only 19k people with a head start of 24 or 48h in total, there will be only around 3 servers where they can start ahead of time and during the head start the Node system is turned off so there is not much to gain from it really
    I really understand what you mean. Sorry for my English, maybe I didn't write my thought correctly.
    I think that such servers will be half empty, because no one wants to play there, except for those who have early access. When the game comes out, everyone will want new servers.

Oh okay, sorry I didn't catch that quite right^^

I think it really won't be too much of a problem, for people who come in maybe a few weeks after launch, it is basically irrelevant or even an advantage if these servers are lower in player numbers because their individual impact will be greater. But by the week 2 after launch I think most of the (very limited) head start advantages will already be overtaken by people with greater endurance and who took vacation to power through the first levels. :D
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    Chicago wrote: »
    okay, you have 48 hours on an empty server before others join, by this stage you have played upwards of 18 months of alpha 1/2 and betas, you know the game like the back of your hand towards level 25

Learning the game's systems is kinda essential for the people who have paid to test the game to death so that you have a better gaming experience. The people you're complaining about here are the ones who will be improving your experience of the game. I'm perfectly comfortable with them having 2 little days to themselves to work out any last minute issues.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    At this point the back and forth reads like some forcefully wants to squeeze the head start into the category of P2W just for artificial outrage or trolling really.

"Let me put down 500$ in this Kickstarter project so that a decade later I can get 48h of head start with the main feature of the game deactivated." Sorry... if that's P2W then buying assets to have a passive income which increases possible free time that one uses to play, building a good PC or having good internet connection to reduce lag is also P2W.

There is better critic to bring forth regarding the whole project than this.

100% disingenuous response.
  • Options
    Naeleron wrote: »
    At this point the back and forth reads like some forcefully wants to squeeze the head start into the category of P2W just for artificial outrage or trolling really.

"Let me put down 500$ in this Kickstarter project so that a decade later I can get 48h of head start with the main feature of the game deactivated." Sorry... if that's P2W then buying assets to have a passive income which increases possible free time that one uses to play, building a good PC or having good internet connection to reduce lag is also P2W.

There is better critic to bring forth regarding the whole project than this.

100% disingenuous response.

Weak attempt to refute the various points that I have made in my comments throughout the threat by trying to drag this into the moral sphere of "genuine" and "disingenuous". If you want to throw poop, make sure it sticks.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »
    okay, you have 48 hours on an empty server before others join, by this stage you have played upwards of 18 months of alpha 1/2 and betas, you know the game like the back of your hand towards level 25

Learning the game's systems is kinda essential for the people who have paid to test the game to death so that you have a better gaming experience. The people you're complaining about here are the ones who will be improving your experience of the game. I'm perfectly comfortable with them having 2 little days to themselves to work out any last minute issues.

The problem is im not complainimg about these players having a headstart honestly i couldnt care less if thats what you got out of this post there is no point explaining it again
  • Options
    novercalis wrote: »
    Neurath wrote: »
    The level 10 boss will give good certificates so the early starters can get the gold for a house to get a mansion faster once the nodes level.

a casual with head start server only plays 5-6 hours. Meanwhile there is a sweaty who will be gaming 48 hour non stop and out farm, out XP, out level the head start person.

the node system, which is essential for progression, will be disabled during the head start. that means you cant level up the nodes past level 1. that means higher level mobs and quests wont spawn. enjoy killing level 1 mobs for 48 hours, lets see if they get past level 15 lol
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    insomnia wrote: »
    I get he point. But there will always be people with an advantage. Someone without a job/ school etc. Vs everybody else. A streamer that can play all day, and have people give them things, boost their guild. Work on the node they want etc

yeah but you get those things in the game, by spending time doing things in the game, not by swiping.

I might take the week off, shortly after launch. Isn't that on the same level
  • Options
    I get he point. But there will always be people with an advantage. Someone without a job/ school etc. Vs everybody else. A streamer that can play all day, and have people give them things, boost their guild. Work on the node they want etc

yeah but you get those things in the game, by spending time doing things in the game, not by swiping.

I think you will have to work for a very long time without week off xD
  • Options
    I wouldn't call a few day head start pay to win. Pay for short term advantage sure but not win.

As mentioned by others the head start will be less of an advantage as time moves on, and for people like me who can only spare a few hours a week for game time can use the head start just to be equal with a player with more time on their hands.
  • Options
    Why not just play on a server without the head start? Those on the head start will be the most sweaty of players you most likely won't win against them to begin with as they will have zerg level guilds set up to control the server.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    novercalis wrote: »
    Neurath wrote: »
    The level 10 boss will give good certificates so the early starters can get the gold for a house to get a mansion faster once the nodes level.

a casual with head start server only plays 5-6 hours. Meanwhile there is a sweaty who will be gaming 48 hour non stop and out farm, out XP, out level the head start person.

the node system, which is essential for progression, will be disabled during the head start. that means you cant level up the nodes past level 1. that means higher level mobs and quests wont spawn. enjoy killing level 1 mobs for 48 hours, lets see if they get past level 15 lol

you misread me.

it doesnt matter if someone has a headstart. If the headstart is a casual doing 5-6 hours he will get outfarm/level by a non-headstart sweaty player doing 12-16 hours sessions.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    Gospell wrote: »

I think you will have to work for a very long time without week off xD

What? I don't understand what you are trying to say.
    In my country you save up, 5 weeks of vacation doing a years of full time. If i'm lucky, the game lands early summer. My workplace closes for 3 weeks doing the summer (i use 3 of my 5 weeks there)
  • Options
    Just don't jump into a head start server if it is an option...
  • Options
    Yours truly finds it quite probable that the earliest backers will also have bought a LOT of the cosmetic packs; Seeing the most diversity of buildings in cities and freeholds around the countryside sounds quite aesthetically pleasing. Will probably play on the largest of the (probably) 2 to 3 head-start servers, in order to also be amongst the die-hards. I'm not someone who plays in-competition with the other players around me, anyways. The Node advancements will be the real competition.

Piddly, superficial Node-less head starts are meaningless to me. Will probably use the entire year's paid time off for launch, and will just naturally out-pace the majority of head-starters.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    now i would like to say i am not complaining about people getting a head start that is not what this post is about the thing that i was making a point about is the fact that this game is extremely against PTW features and advertised as such whilst having this pay to win feature bluntly in the game, it is contradictory and that is the reason for my post, im sure other people can add to this with examples from other games how a 48 hour headstart would benefit you in huge ways but as for my self i dont know enough games to give examples, i obviously did think about this post before i made it but each to their own :)
    Other games do not rely on a Node system for progression.
    In Ashes, Node progression will be turned off during headstart, so...
    Basically, all headstart players will be doing is traveling to the locations where they want to try build their Cities and Metros once Nodes are turned on.
    And... they still might have to combat other players to ensure that they control the Node they hope to progress, so... there is no guarantee of a "win" just by being on a Headstart server.

It's up to you to specifically state what players would be winning on a Headstart server in Ashes.
    Other games aren't particularly relevant because they don't have Nodes as a progression restriction.
  • Options
    Just a thought from another point of view.... The headstart does in practice mean less players in the starting areas which means less competition... personally I could definitely consider starting at those servers.

But I see where you are coming from. Had release been 12-10 years ago, when I was the hardcore 48-hours straight gaming-kind of person, then I'd reason the same way.

But now I have a small kid, a business and school courses so I do not have time to be launch competative. I will be out-leveled and out-farmed regardless. :]

Besides - consider that if more hardcore gamers reason like you do, then perhaps starting at one of those headstart servers can be to your advantage as it will be filled with filthy casuals like me. ;]
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Seems that many commenting think that headstart is available still. It isn't. If you don't own a Kickstarter package that has it, you aren't getting it.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg