Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Corrupted players can't /trade or use storage.

George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
I hope that in addition to:
Loss of gear upon death.
Bounty hunters pin pointing reds on the map.
Reds cant CC greens.
Stats degration for reds
And this months statement, people can relax about random PKing and stop trying to seperate the playerbase into PvP and PvE with hard protections.

The flagging/corruption system is here to stay. AoC is an open world pvp mmo.

Comments

• Options
    Hey, I have been off for a couple months, did I miss anything other than the Tank Preview?

PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited February 2023
    I do hope they balance the corruption gain well enough for that owpvp to even exist though. Obviously most of the pvp will happen in wars and pvp events, but I do think that corruption could be balanced in such a way that people can afford at least a few PKs a week w/o completely fucking up their character forever.
  • Options
    I agree with NiKr on this, even though I rarely agree with him :#

• Options
    I will still be PKing people that annoy me or wont leave my grind spot. Obviously, I won't dive at a random party of 4-8 people, PK one of their number, and an 100% guarantee that I will escape intact. Nobody should have such illusions of gameplay.
  • Options
    I like to jump people in the wild. Especially farming what I want to farm. I don't want war pvp as only pvp, yuck.
  • Options
    Xnate13X wrote: »
    I like to jump people in the wild. Especially farming what I want to farm. I don't want war pvp as only pvp, yuck.

And in AoC you can.
  • Options
    we going to apply sanctions to them next?
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    And this months statement, people can relax about random PKing and stop trying to seperate the playerbase into PvP and PvE with hard protections.

I don't want hard protections either. I feel reds not being able to cc greens was a particular limit. I assume and I'm pleased reds can still cc bounty hunters.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Not being able to trade or use storage while corrupt isn't new information - we've known this for a few years.

Unless people are only just realizing this now, I'm not sure what this thread is about.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    Not being able to trade or use storage while corrupt isn't new information - we've known this for a few years.

Unless people are only just realizing this now, I'm not sure what this thread is about.

what kind of world do we live in where people research things before posting? madness i say! MADNESS!!!
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

what kind of world do we live in where people research things before posting? madness i say! MADNESS!!!

Next you'll be telling me they're formulating arguments based on factual evidence and be considering the responses thoughtfully rather than discarding them offhand because they don't want to know about any issues counter to their OP!
    288lwybhdp1k.gif

IT'LL BE PURE INSANITY.
    nkp1jxms020z.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Natasha wrote: »

Next you'll be telling me they're formulating arguments based on factual evidence and be considering the responses thoughtfully rather than discarding them offhand because they don't want to know about any issues counter to their OP!
    288lwybhdp1k.gif

IT'LL BE PURE INSANITY.
    nkp1jxms020z.gif

LOL

some people just want to watch the world burn :smile:
  • Options
    I didn't get the notion that George didn't already know the facet. In fact, George has discussed the facet before. I merely got the notion the topic came up thanks to the stream.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The flagging/corruption system is here to stay. AoC is an open world pvp mmo.

thank-you-jesus-vinny.gif
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited February 2023

I don't remember if it was explicitly stated that we couldn't use our freehold storage as PKs.

Though no! @Noaani I just doublechecked, Steven said we could use freehold storage.
    c39btmzm0tg5.png

So that was a change.

edit: there was also the change of "players can pvp within the freehold but not the house" (before it was the whole freehold), so there's just that 1-2 seconds of running that PKers would need to hide themselves from any pursuers.
  • Options
    I’m sure we will still be going through more iterations of corruption as Alpha2 and Beta roll on, @Nikr.

Although I agree that PK activities should be used sparingly … your “few PKs a week” philosophy is probably too generous to botters and the overall PvE crowd in general.
  • Options
    Although I agree that PK activities should be used sparingly … your “few PKs a week” philosophy is probably too generous to botters and the overall PvE crowd in general.
    Unless Intrepid decide to make war declaration costs insanely high - most "pve crowders" will never even see content. Only guilds that either pvp or have friends who pvp will be able to get great gear. And then with that great gear they'll be able to just outfarm anyone who refuses to flag up against those guilds.

But yeah, it'll all be tested and I'm still pretty sure that even war-based pvp will be limited because people will in fact push Intrepid to make the costs for war way too high. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited February 2023
    purge-tv.png

:#

Well... who knows, maybe people want to blow some steam sometimes, they will have to look for sieges, wars or ask Intrepid for PK friendly events.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This was an interesting change.

I don't really think I'll be speculating about what it implies, but I can't help having some reaction/extrapoloation.

Mostly I don't like it, but on the other hand it doesn't really affect anything I was planning to do, so if it makes the game more palatable in general or if it was necessary to avoid some specific type of exploit, I'm all for it.

It could lead to less of a specific loop that I prefer and maybe make Bounty Hunting even more of a pointless afterthought, but it certainly ramps up the risk/reward for a Solo PK-er.

Bring on the Bandit Gangs.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    It could lead to less of a specific loop that I prefer and maybe make Bounty Hunting even more of a pointless afterthought, but it certainly ramps up the risk/reward for a Solo PK-er.

Why do you think this makes BHs more useless? Cause the change would lead to more group-based PKing, that BHs can't really do anything about?
  • Options
    If the game allowed players to to live as criminals then bounty hunters would have a purpose within it.

Currently, the option for caravan raiding exists, but it is uncertain how successful it will be. It is doubtful that caravan raiding alone will provide sufficient entertainment. Plus, I suggested a few times that bounty hunters could have a specialization that let them work as mercenaries in sieges and wars.

The game lacks features such as kidnapping, slavery, smuggling, player killing, thievery, sabotage, and more.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »

Why do you think this makes BHs more useless? Cause the change would lead to more group-based PKing, that BHs can't really do anything about?

They certainly could do stuff about it, and they wouldn't even need a group of BHs to do it.

I'm referring to the other issue, the 'massive reduction in random Solo PK' which is George's original point.

But even moreso, things like "I'm going to kill this bot."

Now you can't even kill that sort of bot near your own 'house in the forest', because if you were gathering and you got annoyed at a bot and killed it, now you have to go work off your corruption before you can even store your own gatherables in your own storage nearby. Sure, you're safe, but you might want to stay in.

So my point is only 'a meaningful reduction in actual PK will be achieved through this change', and ofc my bias is that I expected Bounty Hunting (of Solo Red Players) to be mostly a random niche activity anyway.

• Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's a change alright. Untested for. Unasked for. Random. If anything, recently the only thing that I've seen asked for is the opposite, lawless towns, which I also don't agree with.

But I don't follow this game nearly as much as I used to. So I may be out of the loop of what's been asked for recently.

Just a continuation of Steven panic mode as far as I'm concerned. Certainly doesn't inspire confidence.
  • Options
    Okeydoke wrote: »
    It's a change alright. Untested for. Unasked for. Random. If anything, recently the only thing that I've seen asked for is the opposite, lawless towns, which I also don't agree with.

But I don't follow this game nearly as much as I used to. So I may be out of the loop of what's been asked for recently.

Just a continuation of Steven panic mode as far as I'm concerned. Certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

idk, I feel like I follow it fairly closely and this is another 'entirely out of the blue change' for me.

I just hope whatever the reason for it, it's worth it.

I feel we could still get the 'lawless town' because we have NOT seen any signs of changing it so that people other than the last-hitter get Corruption. Hence the 'bandit gang'. It seems like a specific change meant to target only the 'solo bandit', since it's not 'alongside' a change to the whole 'I didn't kill you but I can still loot you'.

Maybe we're supposed to RP our 'lawlessness'. I'm down for that, I only care about other emergent stuff.

• Options
    'entirely out of the blue change' for me.

RIP Crossbow too lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    'entirely out of the blue change' for me.

RIP Crossbow too lol.

Yeah that one was pretty 'wut???'

• Options
    Yeah, one of my main fears rn is that Intrepid will gimp the corruption system before alpha2 to such an extent that the anti-pvp crowd will grow even bigger and keep supporting that hardcore gimping (if not push even further). And by the time the game releases we'll see a situation similar to NW in effect, even if it's not a direct toggle.

It's already really damn harsh on paper and I doubt that we'll get to really test it out before the later stages of alpha2 (if not even betas). And the counterbalance seems to come from pvp locations instead, which kinda defeat the whole purpose of even having the corruption system in the first place.

In other words, it's all really messy and I don't see any singular direction in the design.
  • Options
    I just hope whatever the reason for it, it's worth it.

I don't know the reason. No reason was given to make the change. There is no reason that I can think of to not allow a red player to use his own freehold storage. Other than just "fuck reds."

There's an argument to be made that a red shouldn't be able to strip off his equipped gear. But you can't empty your bags of materials in your own freehold? You can't restock yourself with potions or other consumables? Just seems like punishment with no purpose. It seems like pandering and panic mode that started right around the time of the LuckyGhost video.

Multiple, random, nonsensical anti open world pvp changes/statements since that video. The severity of the corruption system, in my estimation, is no longer about stopping dipshit reds from killing newbs endlessly. It's severe to a point where it's going to substantially reduce just regular open world pvp period.

I hope I'm wrong. Hope some of these decisions are revisited through an intellectual lens instead of what appears to me to be a very emotional lens.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    Yeah, one of my main fears rn is that Intrepid will gimp the corruption system before alpha2 to such an extent that the anti-pvp crowd will grow even bigger and keep supporting that hardcore gimping (if not push even further). And by the time the game releases we'll see a situation similar to NW in effect, even if it's not a direct toggle.

It's already really damn harsh on paper and I doubt that we'll get to really test it out before the later stages of alpha2 (if not even betas). And the counterbalance seems to come from pvp locations instead, which kinda defeat the whole purpose of even having the corruption system in the first place.

In other words, it's all really messy and I don't see any singular direction in the design.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better. Not only that, but the longer this game takes to develop, the more money it costs, the more Steven will probably be willing to go more and more carebear to rope in more players to recoup costs.

Furthermore, everyone who's already here, and donated their money, should generally at the very least be pro pvp, or pvp neutral. Because that's what the game is, or was. We haven't even gotten to the point where it becomes apparent that the game is actually going to launch. Full blown carebear holy war campaign starts there. Intense, piercing pressure that Intrepid will be under. Hasn't even started yet. Not even close. God knows what changes are coming when changes like this that no one asked for just randomly happen.

My confidence in what I bought into a few years ago is absolutely shot. I mean it's just not there anymore. We're 5-7 years in, in an "open" development process. I'm 800 dollars in myself. And I can't honestly tell you, or myself, how much pvp is going to be in this game, in what form, and from what systems. Zero idea. Kind of ashamed of myself.

Edit: I guess you could say I made the decision to support that much through an emotional lens, not an intellectual one lol. Woops
  • Options
    and people thought that the IRS is bad, if we list all the cons in being a PK it is way worse